News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Gunslingers

Started by Thunder-squall, 20, April, 2014, 02:55:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

Since we got hints of steam punk stuff in Dark Dawn, do you think it'd be possible to pull off a gunslinger PC class?  I imagine that instead of unleashing djinn, they shoot them out as bullets.  Maybe they could be a way to introduce some Bravely Default mechanics.

Luna_blade

Yes. And possibly some kind of mecha or animated robot. Look up Final Fantasy VI, that has a lot of steampunk things.
I'm not so sure about shooting djinni's, but okay.

The problem with introducing new mechanics (I guess you mean the turn system from Bravely Default) is that GS and the game can't be compared anymore...
But it really depends on how big the mechanic is and what kind of game you want to make.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Lord Wolfram

Seem interesting.
such a spell like Djinni canon(Like mars djinni Canon and after strike a random djinni is resting.

Thunder-squall

I also think that a new player class could be an effective way for the game to communicate to the player how much the world has changed... DD hinted at a steam punk city, but we never really saw much of it, I don't think.

Misery

I think what you actually mean is a gunslinger character (or character type), since there are no weapon specific classes. Would be pretty cool IMO, and could probably fit into the GS universe even if no gunners have been introduced so far.

Thunder-squall

^ yup, although I can't remember if Sveta was an exception.  Wasn't she the only one who could use fists, or whatever?

Misery

Yeah. she was the only one to be able to use fist/claw weapons... and could use nothing else. I don't think that's a good way to design a class/character.

Thunder-squall

I think she was made that way in order to be a plot point, since she was the only character who was intended to use the umbral gear.

But Extra Credits did a video discussing 'difference in kind,' pointing out how players like variety, even if the variety isn't as fun as the core game mechanics.  While Sveta may not be a great stand alone character, was an oddity like her an interesting thing to throw into the mix, to add variety to the player experience?

Answering that may determine how useful it might be to have weird character types, with their own custom rules. Personally I think it was fine, but then again I hear that the original GS had some amount of depth, and a character like Sveta wouldn't have contributed to it at all.

Radamanthys

I can see the Gunslinger Class acting sort of like those "equip classes" Tamer and Necromancers classes, you access it by equipping an Alchemy Gun, you have "ammo" in the form of specialized psyenergy crystals that have infused into them a certain element or psyenergy skill, like a supernova crystal, and after X uses the crystal disappears or becomes gray/dry until it's once again recharged with psyenergy.

The quality of the gun would determine how strong the spell shot is, you could further specialize the equipment into being more efficient in shooting a certain element, having it's own unleash by imbuing the skill shot with a status effect or damage modifier.

This would allow a non-adept to be competitive in the battlefield.

EDIT: Additionally your Gunslinger could get special parts to upgrade the Alchemy Gun, then once you have the parts the upgrade could take place either at the item store or your gunslinger do it themselves with some option/event, the upgrades could let you expand the amount of psyenergy crystals you can use during battle and customize your spellcasting list.