Golden Sun Hacking Community
April 20, 2018, 12:39:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feature Refining Thread  (Read 37726 times)
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« on: May 18, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »

This is a thread to post things to help refine CURRENT features in the editor, to help them to be easier to use or more aesthetically pleasing in the next version.  If you've got an idea to make something a bit more understandable or to help improve a feature in the editor, feel free to explain.

A few important things here:

1 - Be as descriptive as possible.  Explain things the best you can so that Atrius can understand what you're trying to get across.
2 - Don't bother posting here if you've not got anything useful to say.  You can complement things, sure, but try to at least be more helpful in your helpful than just "That's a good idea, lulz!"
3 - Don't keep pushing stuff over and over again, give Atrius a chance to get the next version of the editor out.  Something we GS fans are known for is patience, after all, so do kindly show your patience here.
4 - THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO SUGGEST NEW FEATURES, ONLY TO HELP REFINE ONES WE ALREADY HAVE.

Shall I kick things off?  I think I shall.

Though this is relatively minor, it's VERY helpful.  In the item editor, there's multiple options for stats like Agility and Luck.  One is for stat addition, the other for a stat multiplier.  The problem is, you don't know which is which right now until you fiddle with it.  To make it more user friendly, might I suggest marking which ones are additive and which are multipliers?  This could be simply be done by marking it with a (+) or (x) next to the respective stat.

Also, the ability to change the default names of the characters, and to rename skills/abilities/items/etc... would be VERY helpful.  Actually, that's done by the text editor, which we'll eventually get.

This post has been edited by Role on Jun 10 2009, 02:22 AM

View Profile WWW
Zach
That guy that lives down the street
Mercury Clan

You ain't worth the time

Coins: 0

I am: Not sure about what to do with myself <.<

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »

Well, to reiterate what i posted in another thread that i made, please be weary when editing an enemy's defense stat, as it will revert back to it's original defense after it's edited.
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

Coins: 32

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »

I did notice that in the editor, in the character editor, I gave Jenna the Shaman's Rod, but she also had her wooden stick. I tried several times to try to make it so she does not have the Shaman's Rod equipped, but nothing seemed to work. So, I was wondering if the editor could be changed slightly to allow you to choose which items are equipped, and which ones are not.

Have a nice day.
 Mercury Djinni Set  

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »

When you change starting equipment, you ALWAYS HAVE TO START A NEW GAME TO TEST IT.

Let me say that again.  YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO START A NEW GAME TO TEST IT.

Why?  When you start a new game, it gives them what the editor said they start with.  When you save the game, THEIR INVENTORY IS SAVED.  You cannot change it with the editor anymore.

View Profile WWW
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »

I know Role, I did erase a spare file to test it. However, even though I gave Jenna the Shaman's Rod, I did not want it equipped right away. I wanted it so the player would have to look at their inventory, then change her weapon. Anyway, I also tried rearranging her inventory, but nothing really changed. She still had the Shaman's Rod equipped.

Have a nice day.
 Mercury Djinni Set  

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Coins: 1

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »

I believe the game automatically equips whichever weapon has a higher attack rating.

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
JamietheFlameUser
Diamond Pokémon
Mars Clan

Does this look like the face of mercy?

Prodigy

I am: Poke poke poke poke... I can't stop it...

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »

Well, then why does it equip Salanewt's Shaman's Rod? It subtracts several hundred attack and a hundred or so defence. So why does it auto-equip?

:P

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

Spoiler for epic mindscrew:
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 03:52:00 AM »

Well, what Atrius says makes sense... Remember what unleash it has? Also, I made it so it bestows Thunderhead (which might be too strong for almost half of the game).

Besides, it is not a few hundred, but by the highest number that it can subtract (it seems like I can not use multiplication when editing weapon traits).

Have a nice day.
 Mercury Djinni Set  

View Profile WWW
Lv11
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »

While I don't really have any credentials or e-fame in this forum, I thought I'd post anyway.  I've been using this editor for the past week for literally hours a day, and I love it, but there are a few things I'd like to see refined, and I'm sure others would love them as well.

1) The search box is very helpful, although it would be awesome if it could also do more specific look-ups.  For example, while editing stuff in the items tab, typing "attack:>50" would bring up any item that gives more than 50 attack.
2) While this may tie into the first point, it would also be nifty if you could sort items/abilities by their function or availability.  For example, only showing unleashes in the ability list, or only showing headgear in the item list.
3) The text boxes you can type in?  You can't highlight the text.  If that was possible, copy and paste would be easier, as well as running automated macros separate from the editor.
4) While editing character stats, there is a bar you can drag up and down to change the maximum value of the graph.  Perhaps it would be more useful if the bar changed the actual stats, while the text box above it changed the maximum graph value.
5) It would be REALLY cool if you could edit the enemy's elemental power and resistance.  I'm not even sure if it's possible as it wasn't available in the editor in the first place :S

Anyway, I love the editor so far, thanks a lot Atrius :D
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »

Any input is appreciated.

Those are nice suggestions, but complex refinements like most of those would be secondary to expanding the primary features of the editor.

I've been meaning to make it so text fields can be highlighted in, though it didn't seem too important to do that before the text editor was ready, and now it very nearly is.

Yeah, editing elemental power & resistances is coming, it's just a little odd how the game sorts it so I've been trying to think up a decent way to handle it.

View Profile WWW
Lv11
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 12:32:00 AM »

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from.
Most of the suggestions I made are to make it easier for the person doing the editing, although they're not required.
I'm reeeeally looking forward to highlight-able text though :D

Edit:  Forgot to suggest the ability to change the names of items and abilities as well.  All of those ? spots could be put to good use~
Aaand size modifier for enemies.  I've noticed the sprites can get a little stretched so I assume there's a value for size tied to each monster (or sprite?)  Not entirely sure on this one though.

This post has been edited by Lv11 on Sep 11 2009, 07:41 PM
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 02:43:00 AM »

Of course Item, ability & enemy names will be editable.  It had to wait for a few other things to be done (Cracking compression codes, writing an auto-repointer, e.t.c.) but it's all ready for the next version of the editor.

View Profile WWW
Lv11
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 04:45:00 AM »

Great, I can't wait for the release :)
thenightsshadow
The Enigmatic Overseer of the Twilight
Mercury Clan

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »

I believe the game automatically equips whichever weapon has a higher attack rating.
I'm just guessing, but isn't it because the Shaman's Rod is lower in the item variable than the Wooden Rod?

Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.
View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »

Could be, it's probably something worth checking just so we know for sure at any rate.

View Profile WWW
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 11:29:46 PM
Atrius: @Fox, I tried, but for some reason Mario Golf won't boot, and Mario Tennis crashes when you patch out the text compression, and I'm not sure why...  The normal text loading functions in them are basically the same as the ones in the Golden Sun games.
April 16, 2018, 07:44:36 AM
Drake baku: So it took about halve a hour of letting my lap stay off for it to suddenly work again
April 16, 2018, 07:31:28 AM
Drake baku: All of a sudden fox his editor gets errors. When trying to start it, thing worked fine yesterday...
April 14, 2018, 01:04:37 PM
Fox: @Mario Golf/text editing = Nope... And it may be awhile yet. I think I looked into it before... (at least for GS1)... but usually is the case when I come across a particular problem, that it can delay a solution for an extremely long time.
April 12, 2018, 04:27:14 PM
KyleRunner: Gee... never used discord...
April 12, 2018, 06:03:23 AM
Drake baku: I take it back, found it
April 12, 2018, 06:02:01 AM
Drake baku: But there is no discord link to be found
April 12, 2018, 06:01:44 AM
Drake baku: Everyone is on discord
April 11, 2018, 09:44:06 PM
KyleRunner: Fox, what about that tool for editing text in Mario Golf? Didi you finish it? If not, can you make a version of gstoolkit compatible with it?
April 11, 2018, 07:41:25 AM
Drake baku: Mauw
March 30, 2018, 07:26:11 PM
Salanewt: Hi!
March 29, 2018, 07:37:45 PM
ThanatosTheDark: YYEEEOOOOOO
March 12, 2018, 02:21:06 AM
Fox: say*
March 12, 2018, 02:20:53 AM
Fox: I saw we need an event this April Fools/Easter... because two holidays are in one, why would we not want to miss having something special? (Unfortunately, there's no one here to make an event be successful.)
March 12, 2018, 02:18:17 AM
Fox: And since that's the case...  I have thought of another fun experiment idea. - What if we had an auction on who should run this site, and waited for 10 people to bid and also for a bare minimum of 24 hours. Who would bid the highest, and how much would that bid be? - The idea is more for lulz (Maybe for April Fools?), and a theory to get an idea of how much the site might be worth as well.
March 11, 2018, 03:02:31 AM
Fox: Creepy, isn't it?
March 10, 2018, 02:19:04 AM
Fox: It's frog legs now.. It's something that's dead, but somehow still manages to wiggle.
March 09, 2018, 04:12:17 AM
JamietheFlameUser: I think this place is still dead.
March 02, 2018, 09:43:18 AM
Pkmn-Master: Lol I haven't been here in like 6 years. How is everyone?
February 26, 2018, 06:15:34 AM
Salanewt: Heads up: I finally finished the Wisp animation hack, and it has been posted in the downloads section.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise