Golden Sun Hacking Community
January 16, 2018, 09:48:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feature Refining Thread  (Read 36535 times)
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 01:08:05 AM »

Ah, that's a good idea, but I don't know if the game can support it without modification.  If it has support in the text already, it should be fine, but if we have to install the special characters, then I'd say no dice until much later.

View Profile WWW

Coins: 0

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2011, 10:56:04 PM »

Thanks for the answer, Role!
Well, the Italian version of the game, at least, has those special characters, so it could get implemented.
I used to use the Gstoolkit, that worked with umcompressed text. And it let me use accents! I even made a Portuguese translation of the game with that tool. I'm just waiting Atrius to work on the compressed table so that I can start a translation of GSTLA.

Sorry about my bad english  Sad
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 03:06:58 AM »

Bad English my @#$.  You type better than many people I know whom have English as a native language (which includes 90% of my family. T-T).

View Profile WWW
zman9000
Golden sun fan/Map Builder
Luna Clan

Lord Zed

Excellent Member

I am: A guy who just really likes golden sun

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »

That's not saying a lot role, given most of the people that apply for a job with my dad can't even spell their own name... its happened more then once... I question the English education system some times...

Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx
View Profile
Kide
Mercury Clan

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2011, 07:55:03 PM »

Ok, I don't know if this is the best place to say this, but I think it is. The reason being this is going to be something that will DEFINITELY need to be reworked (and I'm sure Atrius already know it by now), and I'm talking about the Auto checkbox in the Class editor.

The way it works right now makes it a lot more of a burden than anything, because it is very inaccurate, to say the least. When I was messing around with the classes I had to untick it almost every time, as it was usually giving the wrong class types. I've got an idea about what to do regarding this, but I don't know if the editor can handle it (probably can).

Sadly, just one Auto checkbox wouldn't work. For example, if I tick the box and type in a requirement of  VenusMercuryMarsJupiter 0  I'll be getting class type 8. But what if I wanted this class for a Venus Adept? The correct type should be 3 instead. So what I have in mind is having four different Auto boxes, one for each innate element. So if I wanna make a class specifically for a Mars Adept, I tick the Mars Auto box and not worry about it anymore.

Of course, if someone were to change the Elemental Levels in the Party Members editor, this could screw things up. Maybe it would be possible to make the editor read whichever is the higher level and somehow connect it with the right checkbox, although I'm unsure it would work alright.

I think Atrius already may have his own idea concernig this, but I guess it was worth mentioning my idea here. Don't know if I explained it well, but... oh well
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2011, 08:05:31 PM »

Oh, good idea.

View Profile WWW
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

Coins: 2

Clan Position: Mercury Hack Leader

« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2011, 08:25:11 PM »

I think it's just a temp solution. In many cases it will do what it's supposed to, and it's checked by default, so someone who doesn't know what they're doing runs a lower risk of screwing up. But someone who doesn't know what they're doing shouldn't be messing with the class system in the first place >_>

Having four checkboxes is a pretty good idea though. In any case, I think a list of the element relation values should be included for completeness.
View Profile
Kide
Mercury Clan

« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2011, 08:34:40 PM »

But someone who doesn't know what they're doing shouldn't be messing with the class system in the first place >_>
Yeah, I thought as much. But, you know, there are people and there are people.

In any case, I think a list of the element relation values should be included for completeness.
I'm sorry, could you explain a bit better what you mean by that?
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2011, 08:45:11 PM »

I think what he means is "What values mean what".  So value 3, for example, would be "Characters 0 and 1, Venus and Mars" or something like that.  Or was it mercury first?  I don't remember.  Anywho, I think that's the gist.

View Profile WWW
Misery
Bad Luck

Great Member

Coins: 2

Clan Position: Mercury Hack Leader

« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2011, 08:48:45 PM »

But someone who doesn't know what they're doing shouldn't be messing with the class system in the first place >_>
Yeah, I thought as much. But, you know, there are people and there are people.
And most of them actually expect the editor to handle things by itself.

In any case, I think a list of the element relation values should be included for completeness.
I'm sorry, could you explain a bit better what you mean by that?
The value representing the combination of the elements highest and second highest in level. Like, if highest and second highest levels are both Venus (all other levels 0) you get a 1, while if the highest is either Venus or Mars and the second highest is Mercury you get a 3 (I think) and so on for all highest/second highest elemental level combinations. Atrius posted a table for it somewhere, I expected you had found it already given how in-depth you've been going with class sorting.
View Profile
Kide
Mercury Clan

« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2011, 09:19:17 PM »

Umm... am I seeing a contradiction here? So you say people "expect the editor to handle things by itself", yet you suggest The Freakin Table to be included within the editor? What for? That would defeat the purpose of implementing Auto boxes, from what I see. For those poor unfortunate souls that would be expecting the editor to do everything for themselves, they wouldn't even bother to look at the table.

I'm sorry if I failed to get your point here. Of course, smarter people would appreciate what you suggested I guess...

I expected you had found it already
I found the table Atrius posted in the forums only. I wanted to find it in the actual code, so I could change it a bit if possible. Something like this, you know. (Hopefully I'll be understood this third time ._. )
View Profile
zman9000
Golden sun fan/Map Builder
Luna Clan

Lord Zed

Excellent Member

I am: A guy who just really likes golden sun

« Reply #56 on: December 14, 2011, 09:24:30 PM »

It would be interesting to have an area in the editor to look at basic formulas. the secton wouldn't have to do anything to the code... but be more like an index you can open to reference whole working... just a random idea i just had from reading these posts... of course this is just more work that Atrius would have to do and its just kinda... like the extra stuff to make the editor look better... meh

Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx
View Profile
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Coins: 1

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2011, 03:01:31 AM »

I realize I'm late at replying here, but I've been pretty busy recently.

I've been thinking, it would probably make more sense to be able to set the primary/secondary element for a class rather than messing with the type value directly in many cases anyway.  I could make it so the editor automatically sets them based on how you set the element requirements, then you can fine tune them yourself.  Rather than having any "auto" check boxes, there would instead be an "Item class" check box that lets you manually set the class type value, otherwise the value is completely invisible.

The potential pitfall I see with this are places on the class type table where the value is the same for two different element combinations.  It could end up producing results the user wouldn't expect in those cases.  Sure, it would happen a lot less than with the current class editor, but I'd still like to minimize it as much as possible.

It would also be great if the editor had a way to make sure your classes are sorted properly to work the way they're intended...  That may require a bit more thought though...  Hmm... It'd actually be pretty cool to have a tool in the party member editor that let you see what all classes a character could get, and how.

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2011, 05:34:58 AM »

Anyone want to see the table written in a way of how it could look if the Class type value was a combo-box?

It goes like this:  Primary Secondary

1 -  Venus Venus
 2 -  Mars Mars
 3 -  Venus Mercury , Mars Mercury
 4 -  Venus Mars , Mars Venus
 5 -  Venus Jupiter , Mars Jupiter
 6 -  Mercury Mercury
 7 -  Jupiter Jupiter
 8 -  Jupiter Venus , Mercury Venus
 9 -  Jupiter Mars , Mercury Mars
10 -  Jupiter Mercury , Mercury Jupiter
11 - (And below = Item Classes, etc.)

This list should make it easier to tell that Venus and Mars share similar classes just like Jupiter and Mercury.

So what does everyone think? Combo-box or numeric? (I can't see how it could hurt... A number by itself doesn't tell you much.)

EDIT:  I think we should make up names for them. (And have a column with the element information.) That way, referring to them will be even easier.

1 - Venus
 2 - Mars
 3 - [A word that is associated with both Venus and Mars] [A word for Mercury. Ex: Healer]
 4 -
 5 -
 6 - Mercury
 7 - Jupiter
 8 -
 9 -
10 -
11 -

I am not  sure about using terms like Fighter/Mage/Spellsword/etc. in their names.

Edit yet again: To me, having something like this would still be beneficial. (As long as the elemental information is displayed.)

Basically copying the first one of each list. (Which could be updated when their names are updated.)

1 - Squire
 2 - Guard
 3 - Swordsman
 4 - Brute
 5 - Aprentice
 6 - Water Seer
 7 - Wind Seer
 8 - Seer
 9 - Pilgrim
10 - Hermit
11 -
12 - NPC
13 - Flame User
14 - Mariner
15 - Pierrot
16 - Tamer
17 - Dark Mage

That would be the lowest class in each class type.

Note to self: 080C6604 = Class Type chart.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:50:37 AM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile
Kide
Mercury Clan

« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2012, 12:38:24 AM »

Ha, I knew Atrius would come up with something better. Especially that "Item class" checkbox, if I understood it correctly.

Note to self: 080C6604 = Class Type chart.
I think I'm gonna request to change my name to 'self'.
Alright, this is exactly what I wanted. Thank you very very much, sir!
View Profile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 07:26:16 PM
Fox: (path) 1 text=(address) char=(address) free=(address) ; << Well, closer to this... but yeah... even if I do choose to have defaults in the code, I could still use this method for overrides.
Yesterday at 07:24:28 PM
Fox: So like (path) 0 text=(address) char=(address) len=(number) ; (path) 1 free=(address) ; Or something. But that's just a quick example.
Yesterday at 06:59:14 PM
Fox: Hopefully. I was wanting to make it so you could put in the addresses/etc. as one of the arguments in the path. Hm?
Yesterday at 03:37:07 PM
KyleRunner: Nice! I hope you'll add compatibility with others games (GS1, Mario Golf and Tennis) soon.
January 14, 2018, 11:40:09 PM
Fox: Okay. Posted (in Downloads section) an initial cutdown version for now, for my text compressor. Basically to separate the code from my Editor for anyone who wants to mess with it. It only supports GS2, because I still didn't add the addresses/etc. for the other games.
January 14, 2018, 05:01:00 PM
Fox: Okay! Going to need to think how I want it to work. Initial thoughts is maybe have a number of arguments in the filepath thing. And have a number of shortcuts (files) to be used as examples. Assuming there are no problems.
January 14, 2018, 10:38:24 AM
KyleRunner: Well... I'm used to editing text ina a text editor, so... yes! Thanks in advance!
January 13, 2018, 11:38:43 PM
Fox: (Text editor = Text Document like notepad.)
January 13, 2018, 11:38:21 PM
Fox: Would you prefer during the text editing in a text editor? (Like what gstoolkit lets you do?) I could probably make a separate tool or something to compress it.
January 13, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
KyleRunner: Ok. Once I finish my Lost Age translation, I'll try a Mario Golf one. Thanks. (But I'll need help).
January 13, 2018, 10:03:17 PM
Fox: If you want to make it "permanent" (part of a hack), then you'd edit code in the ROM that writes to this location of the IDs you'd want to change. (You can find these locations by using a breakpoint debugger like SDL-H or no$gba.)
January 13, 2018, 10:00:11 PM
Fox: Reload/switch = Recommended to be done through Debug mode/warp menu, ofcourse... since doors seem to appear as if they were disabled? ; 03001238:01 and B+Start to get to warp menu.
January 13, 2018, 09:55:39 PM
Fox: @Kyle Runner = It might be, but you'd have to use the correct addresses for Mario Golf, rather than for GS2 as I have it right now. ; @raijinken = Yes. 02000454 = ID of leader. (Change this and reload/switch room you are in, enjoy.)
January 13, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
raijinken: Hey guys, is it possible to somehow change the lead character on the map? Was wondering. I remember there was a cheat to use Jenna, but what if I wanted Isaac, or Piers?
January 13, 2018, 02:10:03 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, Fox *
January 13, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, is your text editor compatible with Mario Golf (GBA)?
January 11, 2018, 08:33:13 PM
Fox: But if it isn't an oversight, I still can't imagine it being that useful.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
Fox: part, ofcourse.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:15 PM
Fox: 0200274C = Hmm... Stuff happens here when you use Cyclone around bushes. (These cause tile replacements, and setting event 0 to those tiles.) - And I guess this kept here so it can be scanned after battle. (To re-update the map.) So here is my fun thought (assuming if it is even possible, or even convenient if so.) ... Are there any events from other maps that could be disabled do to using Cyclone on bushes + Retreat glitch? I'll need to do some testing to make sure this isn't an oversight on my
January 09, 2018, 08:09:26 PM
Fox: And the chance for a Djinni battle is 50%.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise