News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Feature Refining Thread

Started by Rolina, 18, May, 2009, 05:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

The mouse over works, but it has a delay from the time I click to the time it works.  Though... for some reason when I went to check the time, it was working fine... huh... odd...  I'll get back to you on this when I get it to happen again.

Yes, but I'd rather just type it out in the field instead of scrolling.  It'd save a LOT of time.

Aye, that's what I figured for that.

leon_95

I thought, it would be nice, if it could be possible to use Psynergy-icons for Items and otherwise... because I want to make psynergy, with an ichon of an item, and items with psynergy-icons...
Mostly active in the Speedrunning discord, and have taken a long long break from this community here.

Salanewt

I do have an idea for refining the Code Patches section, though I may be suggesting this kind of late. You know how we have either textboxes or checkboxes that we can alter in this section? What if the Name Length patch were made into a changeable value in the Party Members section, and then the rest of the patches are read from a folder? Something like this would allow us to add and remove patches with ease; we wouldn't have to go into the game's code to disable unwanted patches. I am not fully sure how patches are coded yet, though, so I am not sure what would be done for reverting data to the previous values outside of using a configuration file.

Just a random idea for refining the editor, but I do not consider it to be really important or major. One of those little shiny whistles for your consideration, but not as shiny as sprite editing of course. :happy:
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

You mean regular IPS patch files?  They're not at all designed to removable after they've been applied.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

KyleRunner

So Atrius, do you plan to add suport to special characters like "ç", "á"... in the text editor?
Thanks.

Rolina

Ah, that's a good idea, but I don't know if the game can support it without modification.  If it has support in the text already, it should be fine, but if we have to install the special characters, then I'd say no dice until much later.

KyleRunner

Thanks for the answer, Role!
Well, the Italian version of the game, at least, has those special characters, so it could get implemented.
I used to use the Gstoolkit, that worked with umcompressed text. And it let me use accents! I even made a Portuguese translation of the game with that tool. I'm just waiting Atrius to work on the compressed table so that I can start a translation of GSTLA.

Sorry about my bad english  :sad:

Rolina

Bad English my @#$.  You type better than many people I know whom have English as a native language (which includes 90% of my family. T-T).

zman9000

That's not saying a lot role, given most of the people that apply for a job with my dad can't even spell their own name... its happened more then once... I question the English education system some times...
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Kide

Ok, I don't know if this is the best place to say this, but I think it is. The reason being this is going to be something that will DEFINITELY need to be reworked (and I'm sure Atrius already know it by now), and I'm talking about the Auto checkbox in the Class editor.

The way it works right now makes it a lot more of a burden than anything, because it is very inaccurate, to say the least. When I was messing around with the classes I had to untick it almost every time, as it was usually giving the wrong class types. I've got an idea about what to do regarding this, but I don't know if the editor can handle it (probably can).

Sadly, just one Auto checkbox wouldn't work. For example, if I tick the box and type in a requirement of  :VenusStar::MercuryStar::MarsStar::JupiterStar: 0  I'll be getting class type 8. But what if I wanted this class for a Venus Adept? The correct type should be 3 instead. So what I have in mind is having four different Auto boxes, one for each innate element. So if I wanna make a class specifically for a Mars Adept, I tick the Mars Auto box and not worry about it anymore.

Of course, if someone were to change the Elemental Levels in the Party Members editor, this could screw things up. Maybe it would be possible to make the editor read whichever is the higher level and somehow connect it with the right checkbox, although I'm unsure it would work alright.

I think Atrius already may have his own idea concernig this, but I guess it was worth mentioning my idea here. Don't know if I explained it well, but... oh well

Rolina

Misery

I think it's just a temp solution. In many cases it will do what it's supposed to, and it's checked by default, so someone who doesn't know what they're doing runs a lower risk of screwing up. But someone who doesn't know what they're doing shouldn't be messing with the class system in the first place >_>

Having four checkboxes is a pretty good idea though. In any case, I think a list of the element relation values should be included for completeness.

Kide

QuoteBut someone who doesn't know what they're doing shouldn't be messing with the class system in the first place >_>
Yeah, I thought as much. But, you know, there are people and there are people.

QuoteIn any case, I think a list of the element relation values should be included for completeness.
I'm sorry, could you explain a bit better what you mean by that?

Rolina

I think what he means is "What values mean what".  So value 3, for example, would be "Characters 0 and 1, Venus and Mars" or something like that.  Or was it mercury first?  I don't remember.  Anywho, I think that's the gist.

Misery

Quote from: Kide on 14, December, 2011, 03:34:40 PM
QuoteBut someone who doesn't know what they're doing shouldn't be messing with the class system in the first place >_>
Yeah, I thought as much. But, you know, there are people and there are people.
And most of them actually expect the editor to handle things by itself.

Quote from: Kide on 14, December, 2011, 03:34:40 PM
QuoteIn any case, I think a list of the element relation values should be included for completeness.
I'm sorry, could you explain a bit better what you mean by that?
The value representing the combination of the elements highest and second highest in level. Like, if highest and second highest levels are both Venus (all other levels 0) you get a 1, while if the highest is either Venus or Mars and the second highest is Mercury you get a 3 (I think) and so on for all highest/second highest elemental level combinations. Atrius posted a table for it somewhere, I expected you had found it already given how in-depth you've been going with class sorting.

Kide

Umm... am I seeing a contradiction here? So you say people "expect the editor to handle things by itself", yet you suggest The Freakin Table to be included within the editor? What for? That would defeat the purpose of implementing Auto boxes, from what I see. For those poor unfortunate souls that would be expecting the editor to do everything for themselves, they wouldn't even bother to look at the table.

I'm sorry if I failed to get your point here. Of course, smarter people would appreciate what you suggested I guess...

QuoteI expected you had found it already
I found the table Atrius posted in the forums only. I wanted to find it in the actual code, so I could change it a bit if possible. Something like this, you know. (Hopefully I'll be understood this third time ._. )

zman9000

It would be interesting to have an area in the editor to look at basic formulas. the secton wouldn't have to do anything to the code... but be more like an index you can open to reference whole working... just a random idea i just had from reading these posts... of course this is just more work that Atrius would have to do and its just kinda... like the extra stuff to make the editor look better... meh
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Atrius (He/Him)

I realize I'm late at replying here, but I've been pretty busy recently.

I've been thinking, it would probably make more sense to be able to set the primary/secondary element for a class rather than messing with the type value directly in many cases anyway.  I could make it so the editor automatically sets them based on how you set the element requirements, then you can fine tune them yourself.  Rather than having any "auto" check boxes, there would instead be an "Item class" check box that lets you manually set the class type value, otherwise the value is completely invisible.

The potential pitfall I see with this are places on the class type table where the value is the same for two different element combinations.  It could end up producing results the user wouldn't expect in those cases.  Sure, it would happen a lot less than with the current class editor, but I'd still like to minimize it as much as possible.

It would also be great if the editor had a way to make sure your classes are sorted properly to work the way they're intended...  That may require a bit more thought though...  Hmm... It'd actually be pretty cool to have a tool in the party member editor that let you see what all classes a character could get, and how.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Anyone want to see the table written in a way of how it could look if the Class type value was a combo-box?

It goes like this:  Primary Secondary

1 -  :VenusStar: :VenusStar:
2 -  :MarsStar: :MarsStar:
3 -  :VenusStar: :MercuryStar: , :MarsStar: :MercuryStar:
4 -  :VenusStar: :MarsStar: , :MarsStar: :VenusStar:
5 -  :VenusStar: :JupiterStar: , :MarsStar: :JupiterStar:
6 -  :MercuryStar: :MercuryStar:
7 -  :JupiterStar: :JupiterStar:
8 -  :JupiterStar: :VenusStar: , :MercuryStar: :VenusStar:
9 -  :JupiterStar: :MarsStar: , :MercuryStar: :MarsStar:
10 -  :JupiterStar: :MercuryStar: , :MercuryStar: :JupiterStar:
11 - (And below = Item Classes, etc.)

This list should make it easier to tell that Venus and Mars share similar classes just like Jupiter and Mercury.

So what does everyone think? Combo-box or numeric? (I can't see how it could hurt... A number by itself doesn't tell you much.)

EDIT:  I think we should make up names for them. (And have a column with the element information.) That way, referring to them will be even easier.

1 - Venus
2 - Mars
3 - [A word that is associated with both Venus and Mars] [A word for Mercury. Ex: Healer]
4 -
5 -
6 - Mercury
7 - Jupiter
8 -
9 -
10 -
11 -

I am not  sure about using terms like Fighter/Mage/Spellsword/etc. in their names.

Edit yet again: To me, having something like this would still be beneficial. (As long as the elemental information is displayed.)

Basically copying the first one of each list. (Which could be updated when their names are updated.)

1 - Squire
2 - Guard
3 - Swordsman
4 - Brute
5 - Aprentice
6 - Water Seer
7 - Wind Seer
8 - Seer
9 - Pilgrim
10 - Hermit
11 -
12 - NPC
13 - Flame User
14 - Mariner
15 - Pierrot
16 - Tamer
17 - Dark Mage

That would be the lowest class in each class type.

Note to self: 080C6604 = Class Type chart.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Kide

Ha, I knew Atrius would come up with something better. Especially that "Item class" checkbox, if I understood it correctly.

QuoteNote to self: 080C6604 = Class Type chart.
I think I'm gonna request to change my name to 'self'.
Alright, this is exactly what I wanted. Thank you very very much, sir!