News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Feature Refining Thread

Started by Rolina, 18, May, 2009, 05:54:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

This is a thread to post things to help refine CURRENT features in the editor, to help them to be easier to use or more aesthetically pleasing in the next version.  If you've got an idea to make something a bit more understandable or to help improve a feature in the editor, feel free to explain.

A few important things here:

1 - Be as descriptive as possible.  Explain things the best you can so that Atrius can understand what you're trying to get across.
2 - Don't bother posting here if you've not got anything useful to say.  You can complement things, sure, but try to at least be more helpful in your helpful than just "That's a good idea, lulz!"
3 - Don't keep pushing stuff over and over again, give Atrius a chance to get the next version of the editor out.  Something we GS fans are known for is patience, after all, so do kindly show your patience here.
4 - THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO SUGGEST NEW FEATURES, ONLY TO HELP REFINE ONES WE ALREADY HAVE.

Shall I kick things off?  I think I shall.

Though this is relatively minor, it's VERY helpful.  In the item editor, there's multiple options for stats like Agility and Luck.  One is for stat addition, the other for a stat multiplier.  The problem is, you don't know which is which right now until you fiddle with it.  To make it more user friendly, might I suggest marking which ones are additive and which are multipliers?  This could be simply be done by marking it with a (+) or (x) next to the respective stat.

Also, the ability to change the default names of the characters, and to rename skills/abilities/items/etc... would be VERY helpful.  Actually, that's done by the text editor, which we'll eventually get.

This post has been edited by Role on Jun 10 2009, 02:22 AM

Zach

Well, to reiterate what i posted in another thread that i made, please be weary when editing an enemy's defense stat, as it will revert back to it's original defense after it's edited.

Salanewt

I did notice that in the editor, in the character editor, I gave Jenna the Shaman's Rod, but she also had her wooden stick. I tried several times to try to make it so she does not have the Shaman's Rod equipped, but nothing seemed to work. So, I was wondering if the editor could be changed slightly to allow you to choose which items are equipped, and which ones are not.

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

When you change starting equipment, you ALWAYS HAVE TO START A NEW GAME TO TEST IT.

Let me say that again.  YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO START A NEW GAME TO TEST IT.

Why?  When you start a new game, it gives them what the editor said they start with.  When you save the game, THEIR INVENTORY IS SAVED.  You cannot change it with the editor anymore.

Salanewt

I know Role, I did erase a spare file to test it. However, even though I gave Jenna the Shaman's Rod, I did not want it equipped right away. I wanted it so the player would have to look at their inventory, then change her weapon. Anyway, I also tried rearranging her inventory, but nothing really changed. She still had the Shaman's Rod equipped.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

I believe the game automatically equips whichever weapon has a higher attack rating.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Aile~♥

Well, then why does it equip Salanewt's Shaman's Rod? It subtracts several hundred attack and a hundred or so defence. So why does it auto-equip?
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Well, what Atrius says makes sense... Remember what unleash it has? Also, I made it so it bestows Thunderhead (which might be too strong for almost half of the game).

Besides, it is not a few hundred, but by the highest number that it can subtract (it seems like I can not use multiplication when editing weapon traits).

Have a nice day.

Lv11

While I don't really have any credentials or e-fame in this forum, I thought I'd post anyway.  I've been using this editor for the past week for literally hours a day, and I love it, but there are a few things I'd like to see refined, and I'm sure others would love them as well.

1) The search box is very helpful, although it would be awesome if it could also do more specific look-ups.  For example, while editing stuff in the items tab, typing "attack:>50" would bring up any item that gives more than 50 attack.
2) While this may tie into the first point, it would also be nifty if you could sort items/abilities by their function or availability.  For example, only showing unleashes in the ability list, or only showing headgear in the item list.
3) The text boxes you can type in?  You can't highlight the text.  If that was possible, copy and paste would be easier, as well as running automated macros separate from the editor.
4) While editing character stats, there is a bar you can drag up and down to change the maximum value of the graph.  Perhaps it would be more useful if the bar changed the actual stats, while the text box above it changed the maximum graph value.
5) It would be REALLY cool if you could edit the enemy's elemental power and resistance.  I'm not even sure if it's possible as it wasn't available in the editor in the first place :S

Anyway, I love the editor so far, thanks a lot Atrius :D

Atrius (He/Him)

Any input is appreciated.

Those are nice suggestions, but complex refinements like most of those would be secondary to expanding the primary features of the editor.

I've been meaning to make it so text fields can be highlighted in, though it didn't seem too important to do that before the text editor was ready, and now it very nearly is.

Yeah, editing elemental power & resistances is coming, it's just a little odd how the game sorts it so I've been trying to think up a decent way to handle it.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Lv11

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from.
Most of the suggestions I made are to make it easier for the person doing the editing, although they're not required.
I'm reeeeally looking forward to highlight-able text though :D

Edit:  Forgot to suggest the ability to change the names of items and abilities as well.  All of those ? spots could be put to good use~
Aaand size modifier for enemies.  I've noticed the sprites can get a little stretched so I assume there's a value for size tied to each monster (or sprite?)  Not entirely sure on this one though.

This post has been edited by Lv11 on Sep 11 2009, 07:41 PM

Atrius (He/Him)

Of course Item, ability & enemy names will be editable.  It had to wait for a few other things to be done (Cracking compression codes, writing an auto-repointer, e.t.c.) but it's all ready for the next version of the editor.

Lv11

Great, I can't wait for the release :)

thenightsshadow

Quote from: Atrius on 27, June, 2009, 08:47:00 PMI believe the game automatically equips whichever weapon has a higher attack rating.
I'm just guessing, but isn't it because the Shaman's Rod is lower in the item variable than the Wooden Rod?
Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

Atrius (He/Him)

Could be, it's probably something worth checking just so we know for sure at any rate.

Salanewt

Oh yeah, I forgot about this topic...

Anyway, that does seem like a good theory, but I think it might also have something to do with importance/rarity of item (well, maybe not rarity). For example, the Shaman's Rod is an important item, can not be sold, and it can not be re-obtained. The Wooden Stick can. More items will probably have to be tested.

Or maybe it is a combination of the two...

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:  

Lv11

While editing items, you can select item effects in the four separate boxes.
Just to clarify, options 0-6 add a static value to the selection, whereas options 7-14 are multipliers.  Currently options are listed on the list twice, you could change the name of 7-14 to make sure people know the value is a multiple as opposed to a static value.

Atrius (He/Him)

I overlooked the fact that they were actually different >_<

Rolina

Actually, that's one of the first things that I mentioned, marking which are multipliers and which are just added.

Lv11

In this thread Atrius asked what the four odd boxes to the right of the enemy group editor are for.  I'm not sure if this has been pointed out yet but they have to do with how the enemies are sorted.  The only combination I've messed around with so far has been 2/0/0/0, which puts the strongest enemy in the center, with weaker ones surrounding it.  I've tried a few others but I forget what the number combinations were, one of the combinations ordered them from weakest to strongest, left to right.