News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Site Name

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 21, April, 2014, 05:17:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

This is where everyone gives feedback on what they think of the site name.

I think it's a mostly good name, except... some problems come to mind.

"Hacking"

1.) Some filters may block this site when mis-conceived to be Security Hacking and stuff... I had this happen once in high school a few years back. (Yes, high school used filters.) And I've heard other people on this site may have had similar issues. (There was a post in another topic...) This type of thing might have a small factor in potential activity, but not much. (By 0.01% , probably.)

2.) If the site becomes more Community Project focused, and that project isn't a hack, it might seem strange..

3.) Long title.

Overall, the title does seem to be straight and to the point for what the site was primarily about, so I can't complain.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Knight of Purgatory

I like the title but some people may say its too long. I think its easy enough to remember though
MOAR DARKNESS, MOAR COOKIES

Thunder-squall

Hacking is a great word that has a great meaning, and a lot of historic relevance.  From a cultural standpoint, it represents how the common people claimed means of production from the old 'gate keepers,' and became the masters of their own destiny...  At least that's the poetic way to put it.  For a more reasonable explanation, Google 'computer games and the social imaginary,' and use Google Books to peek into it.

And if you do general research into the history of the word as it applies to the early days of computing, I think you'll come away proud to be associated with the word.

--
I think a common example of how the word 'hacking' has changed in public culture is Mozilla's Hackasaurus, and even Scratch, which puts a heavy emphasis on 'remixing' code.  

QuoteAnd if you do general research into the history of the word as it applies to the early days of computing, I think you'll come away proud to be associated with the word.
And there's not another word we cannot be equally 'proud' to be associated with? (If not more so... even if we used a new word that could one day become very popular.)

I forgot to say that the idea of #2 came from talking with someone on Skype. ;) ...

Perhaps we should change the site's name to "Small GS Fan Group with a Couple Modders" from the suggestion... =P But yeah, too long. (AKA: We failed to think of an appropriate name.)

@Luna_blade: Character length concern added to list!
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

@Teawater : I never mentioned the lenght of the name...
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 21, April, 2014, 11:34:00 PM
QuoteAnd if you do general research into the history of the word as it applies to the early days of computing, I think you'll come away proud to be associated with the word.
And there's not another word we cannot be equally 'proud' to be associated with?

I was countering the notion that the word 'hacking' had a negative connotation (your first point)

Fan speculation is essentially hacking, in that it coopts and repurposes existing lore for a new purpose.  Therefore the name is apt for most of what foes on this group.

The name 'Golden Sun Hacking Community' is just as long as the 'Golden Sun Adept's Refuge.'. What are you saying would be the ideal length of a name?

Quote@Teawater : I never mentioned the lenght of the name...
Sorry, facepalm... Got you mixed up with KoP... (Well, at least I'm not the first to get people mixed up.) ; (I wonder if it was because you were on at the time I posted? Oh well..)

QuoteI was countering the notion that the word 'hacking' had a negative connotation (your first point)
Well, hacking has a lot of definitions... but does the average person find it as having a negative connotation? I don't know. "I got hacked" is a common phrase people might say if someone gets their account stolen, so I'm sure plenty of people may think of it negatively.

QuoteThe name 'Golden Sun Hacking Community' is just as long as the 'Golden Sun Adept's Refuge.'. What are you saying would be the ideal length of a name?
Not sure... I'm just listing things people might complain about. (Whether they are my complaints or not.)

Golden Sun Adept's Refuge

Golden Sun Adept's Refuge

GSHC's longer...

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 22, April, 2014, 05:12:05 AM
Well, hacking has a lot of definitions... but does the average person find it as having a negative connotation? I don't know. "I got hacked" is a common phrase people might say if someone gets their account stolen, so I'm sure plenty of people may think of it negatively.

We rely on experts in various fields to help average people approach it. Why are we now submitting to the "average person" in this regard?

Oh. So I guess you like people being "mislead" by what may still be true until they find out what something really is?  I dunno, doesn't sound like a way to attract complete newbies when you think of first impressions?

P.S. I'm still not debating that we should actually change the name, just wanted to know what everyone else thought.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Teawater on 22, April, 2014, 10:24:59 PM
Oh. So I guess you like people being "mislead" by what may still be true until they find out what something really is?  I dunno, doesn't sound like a way to attract complete newbies when you think of first impressions?

P.S. I'm still not debating that we should actually change the name, just wanted to know what everyone else thought.

What kind of "complete newbies" do you want to attract?

I'm not sure if you are asking questions for conversation, or just trying to pick at my mind...

Any kind that would have potential to like GSHC?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

you're really, really bad at having conversations...

That is true.  Maybe you can help me?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

No. No one can help you... :sad:

Misery

"Hacking" does give a negative impression for people who don't know what exactly it means. However, as I recall, Atrius has been approached about it and made it clear that nothing illegal is going on at the site.

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 23, April, 2014, 12:35:57 PM
No. No one can help you... :sad:
If learning to have good conversations was a skill, I would think the answer would be yes.

Either way, I guess it's safe to call it an art, and therefore, my art won't match anyone else's.

@Misery: That's the point... Didn't Atrius get it in the form of a phone call when he created goldensunhacking.net?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

KyleRunner

If we are thinking of renaming it to reflect our project,

How about:
          javascript:void(0);"Golden Sun Open Sky" (or Open Skies)javascript:void(0);

- Open: open source game, wich everyone can help, play, edit...
- Sky: as the plot can be centered around Anemos, a city in the sky
- Open Sky: 1)In days of open sky, you can the brigh Golden Sun; 2)It would suggest that the sky is the limit.

Thunder-squall

I actually love it.

... I can barely contain my love.

@KyleRunner: Thank you for finally being the first to suggest a name! :) (Even if we never do use it.) I guess I like to think and discuss What Ifs too much...?

I like that. GSOS ; Almost sounds like Operating System, which is a plus... That's cool. (Also, SOS makes it sound a little funny in a good way... ;) )

Golden Sun Opening Skies = Opening the skies for each person to see the true power of the Golden Sun.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Thunder-squall

gah, I hate GSOS ... it sounds horrible.