Golden Sun Hacking Community
December 13, 2017, 09:15:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Poll
Question: So, for the people who are in the DC revival project, should we help Joao or continue on our own?
I want to help Joao - 1 (33.3%)
I want the project to be made by us - 1 (33.3%)
Other (leave post) - 1 (33.3%)
Total Voters: 3

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should we help Joao?  (Read 23727 times)
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« on: April 26, 2014, 07:30:23 PM »

Some info about Joao:
He is the maker of a working beta Golden Sun in RPGmaker.
He speaks another language, but KyleRunner has offered to translate, if necessary.
Here is a link to the video showing some recent progress:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuasdhWJRe0

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 10:23:37 PM »

Well... Maybe João will provide with all he knows.
Then maybe we can go on our own.
But I hope we can merge our works. After all, having the original games along with our fan game would be very good.
View Profile
Lord Wolfram
The Lone Wolf
Mars Clan

I am the Angel of darkness and I am back.

Coins: 2

I am: fine!

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »

Well he made a lot of stuff but I have question to him.
Are you making gs in rpg or making new story?
View Profile WWW
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »

I think you guys are doing the same things...

It's like playing a video game, and sharing information. The more your friends make progress, they more they can help you out, but they can't play the game on your behalf.  And in the end I know each of you are going to want to do their own things, even if you share code and resources.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 10:49:40 PM »

A mutual effort with an end goal is probably best for everyone involved.  By helping him finish the GS remake in RPG maker, it gives us not only experience working on it, but a very valuable tool to work with.  Taking that and evolving it or molding it as we need would be a great idea.  I must say, though - we'll want to hide as much of the RPG Maker elements as we can.  As versatile as RPG maker can be, there's many people (myself included) that are immediately turned off by RPG maker games, mostly due to the limitations of the vanilla software.  Obviously it's evolved, but one look at the title screen, as well as the very zoomed out nature of the demo he showcased can give many people the wrong impression.

Still, it's an amazing start, and I'd love to help him figure out how to continue it.

View Profile WWW
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 11:02:26 PM »

So I guess it's joao's decision.  Does he want help?  Is he willing to share his work, and to teach it?

I'm not sure I see the point of the poll.
View Profile
jjppof
Modafoca

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 11:05:40 PM »

Hello,
I had some ideas for the history, but nothing concrete.
For a while I'm just trying to approximate the engine, this I want to keep as close as possible.
As you saw, a lot of things need to be improved, polished.
All the help is welcomed. Here is my skype: jjppof

View Profile WWW
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 11:33:48 PM »

Hello,
For a while I'm just trying to approximate the engine, this I want to keep as close as possible.

That's great!  While I know all of you probably want to tell different stories, you all want to approximate the Golden Sun engine.  Accomplishing that will be a great help to the community.

Do you have ideas on how you can share snippets of code?  Drop Box and Git Hub might be too complicated, but the great thing about these forums are that you can upload small files as part of posts.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 11:35:26 PM by Thunder-squall » Logged
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 11:56:10 PM »

I think this is great - after talking on skype, it seems he's going for a 1:1 remake.  I say we tackle this together - once this is done, that gives us a HUGE tool to work with.  Want to work on rebalancing the game?  Add stat supports?  Change damage formulas?  If we get this done, we'll have a tool far more capable than the editor could have been.  I say we give him our full support.

View Profile WWW
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 12:10:42 AM »

I say we tackle this together
I say we give him our full support.

Can we clarify what the terms in bolded mean, in this context?  What are the actual actions that people are proposing?

Me?  I likely won't be involve in any way, shape, or form -- I'm working on different stuff.

The only reason I'm speaking up here is because I have concerns on a sociological level, and based off of previous experience.

Is this going to be a repeat of the Atrius Editor, where you all want to use it, but none of you want to work on it?
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 12:27:51 AM »

We don't work with the editor because it's unfinished and unwieldy.  Make a full class line, and time yourself.  Takes a full hour on average.  Little keyboard support and it's inability to do what we really need it to do is what holds back our projects.

I want to have new characters in the game - to replace the old ones with a brand new story.  I don't use the editor because the editor just plain can't do that.  If we help him get this done, we'll suddenly have a program that does what the editor was supposed to be.  And THAT is why I say we should help him.  Because we can get what we needed the editor to be in the end.  The editor will never be done - atrius bailed on it to focus on other projects he wanted to do, and the java version is very slow in the making.

Plus, many of us want to change the damage formulas - and that cannot ever, in any fashion, be done reliably in the editor.

So what do I mean by together?  I mean that we lend our support to his efforts.  I say our full support because if this project gets pulled off exactly as he's wanting it, as a 1:1 remake, then it will give us the tools we need to do the stuff we want.  It'll be what Atrius' editor promised to be before it died.

View Profile WWW
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 12:36:24 AM »

So what do I mean by together?  I mean that we lend our support to his efforts.  I say our full support because ...

Yes, but what is "support?"  To me, it seems like in order to help him, you're going to be able to do what he's already done.  And so far he's done it alone.

I take a strong issue with the poll question, of whether "should we help Joao or continue on our own?"  If we cannot continue on your own, then we won't be able to help joao. To me it's really that simple.
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 02:15:14 AM »

Hello,

@Ideas for history:
Sounds like new content (story elements) will be in this game? (And not a pure copy of Golden Sun?)

@approximate the engine:
Sounds we're going to have all the same mechanics...

@need for polish & All the help is welcomed:
Is anyone else working on the project? Is the source closed, private, or public? If it's closed or private, are you waiting to finish the project before opening it up some more?

closed = Source only available to owner.
private = Source available to a limited audience.
public = Source available to everyone.

I agree that the RPG Maker thing could easily do more than the Editor ever could. (Edit: And looking at programs like RPG Maker makes me think it would be more useful for me to document the games rather than doing the editor, anyway.)

Plus, many of us want to change the damage formulas - and that cannot ever, in any fashion, be done reliably in the editor.
At least not without an assembly editor that no one feels like working on.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:11:20 AM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile
jjppof
Modafoca

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 02:38:07 AM »

The idea is, once the base is done, work with the engine will be easy like use rpg maker.
Before I drop the source, I want to be sure that this source works, I dont want something incomplete circulating.
I liked the help I got today from Rolina about the element engine. For a while this kind of help I want. Till now I didn't have implementation problems.
But dont worry  Happy, theres a long way till the end and a lot of hard work to be done yet. Ill keep contact and posting progress.

View Profile WWW
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 03:00:38 AM »

That makes it sound like you are in the Alpha stages.
Okay. So plans are to make it Public soon?
What exactly is necessary for your source to 'work' in order to get the first version released? (Before I start assuming it has to be a completed game.)

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 11:10:45 PM
Fox: Yes, and there could be contests. Maybe ones where 1st/2nd/3rd place get a cash reward, but eh. Dunno.... Kind of thinking about making a topic about how people got their job, and what was their experience. (e.g. Did they use references of people already working in the job, and various other things.)
December 09, 2017, 04:24:14 AM
Majora: Import old forum posts for reference, perhaps take posts containing important info like documentation away from the old stickied forum post model and make them into their own pages on a site with an in-built search bar. Might help with SEO, too. If nothing else, perhaps whipping them into PDFs and hosting them via Scribd? The possibilities are boundless when it comes to restructuring a site
December 09, 2017, 04:20:02 AM
Majora: Just a nice idea to have even if it doesn't come to fruition. Updating, modernizing, always a good idea. Could probably do something pretty nifty using a good Wordpress theme
December 09, 2017, 04:15:45 AM
Majora: Would be kind of neat to do something like that for GSHC. Could change it up a bit to show all tweets/instagram posts/facebook posts/golden sun subreddit posts all in one sidebar. It would be cool in that it gives the site it's on (and the topic in general) appear more lively and active, which is a plus
December 09, 2017, 04:14:19 AM
Majora: That does sound interesting. One cool thing I've seen some sites use is a sort of unique take on a sidebar option that acts like a social media integration (like, "See GSHC's latest Tweets"). It displays activity from a variety of related sites, such as Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
December 09, 2017, 12:58:53 AM
Fox: And the way it'd work via code is not that all users would instantly get nicknames the minute you register... but rather, the moment you view a name if it doesn't have a nickname, it gets one. (My Thoughts.)
December 09, 2017, 12:53:55 AM
Fox: (I was thinking that it would be "Name (Nickname)" ... The nickname is what you first known the user as, and you can change that yourself... and the Name is what the user wants to be called... Something like that.
December 09, 2017, 12:47:56 AM
Fox: So like... for starters, one idea I had was to make it so anyone can name anyone... much like how it works on Skype, and you (the namer) would be the only one to see it, and such...
December 09, 2017, 12:45:02 AM
Fox: Would need to be carefully thought out and tested, though.
December 09, 2017, 12:43:02 AM
Fox: I'm thinking I could make it so that name changes can happen whenever... (Without any limit)... Since I believe there's a way to do it with minimum confusion. (I think.) Hmm....
December 09, 2017, 12:31:36 AM
Fox: (I mean an offline version... at least initially.)
December 09, 2017, 12:25:01 AM
Fox: Now that I have thought about it a bit more, would I be right to assume that GSHC would be one of the most interesting websites to administrate, or no? It's sad to see not much going on with it. == I almost want to make a concept website at some point. :D Anyway, how is everyone doing today?
December 06, 2017, 12:12:59 AM
Fox: Like... Start using Github or something... Do like how many of those other projects such as Citra (WIP 3DS Emulator) does. Etc.
December 06, 2017, 12:08:12 AM
Fox: No idea. I just wish OpenGoldenSun would release it as unfinished, but oh well.
December 05, 2017, 06:52:09 AM
MaxiPower: Bummed out that the open golden sun project is dead it seems with no actitivy in close to a year at this point. Is there any hope left in any other projects?
November 27, 2017, 10:25:28 AM
Fox: (When I say research, mainly refering to the data in the game, though checking websites can count to a degree.)
November 27, 2017, 09:52:27 AM
Fox: Maybe. But Dark Dawn is meh, hahah... I still research it, though, because data can be interesting.
November 27, 2017, 05:28:36 AM
Portakin: I'm here! This game is underrated!
November 25, 2017, 08:03:23 PM
Fox: .... and the email listed in that post makes me think we should just make a new rules topic with most of the same information. (So the old ones can be sort o archived.)
November 25, 2017, 07:59:47 PM
Fox: "and in addition to the bot being banned, I will remove the advertisement and lock the thread."  ... From what I've seen in the last couple years, this should be changed to "delete the thread."

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise