News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Should we help Joao?

Started by Luna_blade, 26, April, 2014, 03:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, for the people who are in the DC revival project, should we help Joao or continue on our own?

I want to help Joao
1 (33.3%)
I want the project to be made by us
1 (33.3%)
Other (leave post)
1 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 3

KyleRunner

Hi Joao!
Nice huehue avatar!
Esses gringo já são noiado com a gente por conta dos huehue dos jogos online, kkkkk!
Abração, cara!

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

GOOGLE TRANSLATE:
QuoteThese gringo are already noiado with us on behalf of Huehue of online games, kkkkk!
Abrasive, man!
I don't understand what you just said?
What does gringo and noiado even mean?
Possibly people and laughing? No idea.

GOOGLE SEARCH FOR GRINGO
QuoteSearch Results

grin·go
    ˈɡriNGɡō/
    noun
    informal
    noun: gringo; plural noun: gringos
        (in Spanish-speaking countries and contexts, chiefly in the Americas) a person, especially an American, who is not Hispanic or Latino.
    Origin

GOOGLE SEARCH FOR NOIADO

enojado = angry

---
Well, at least I guessed the first part right with Gringo. The second one is either laughing or angry.
"These people are already laughing with us on behalf of funny online games."
"These people are already angry with us on behalf of funny online games."

"Games" might be like fooling someone rather than a game itself?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

jjppof

Quote from: KyleRunner on 11, December, 2014, 08:30:55 PM
Hi Joao!
Nice huehue avatar!
Esses gringo já são noiado com a gente por conta dos huehue dos jogos online, kkkkk!
Abração, cara!

hahahaha baum?
com esse macacao ai agora q eles vao pirar msm hueheuheuhe
abracos!!

... Nice try, fox hahahaha

A "nice try" in reality, would be if I got myself a Portuguese translator, or learned Portuguese myself.

Besides, isn't it against the rules to speak in a non-English language on this forum? (Except when the thread is specifically for it.) Not sure how strictly that rule is enforced, so who knows if it counts anymore, but for reference, it said this:
Quote7. This is an English forum. When posting in the forums, you will type in English, unless the thread is designated to be in a different language.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

jjppof

Quote from: Fox on 11, December, 2014, 01:49:22 PM
And the Move pillar thing, I was thinking about having it so it pushes in the direction you are facing, rather than doing the four individual checks.

Example: Direction could be a number from 0 to 7. If diagonals don't count, do "if direction & 1 = 0", if that is even necessary. (Does Player Touch do diagonals as well?) ; Golden Sun doesn't do direction in 0-7, though, they use a 16-bit angle value instead. So 0000, 2000, 4000, 6000, 8000, A000, C000, E000 should be the 8 directions.

Other problem that I can remember about the move pillar is that it's casting in diagonal.
Give a pseudo-code of what are you thinking to substitute the individuals checks.

jjppof

Quote from: Fox on 11, December, 2014, 10:00:14 PM
A "nice try" in reality, would be if I got myself a Portuguese translator, or learned Portuguese myself.

Besides, isn't it against the rules to speak in a non-English language on this forum? (Except when the thread is specifically for it.) Not sure how strictly that rule is enforced, so who knows if it counts anymore, but for reference, it said this:
Quote7. This is an English forum. When posting in the forums, you will type in English, unless the thread is designated to be in a different language.

hahahahaha you're too worried ...

QuoteGive a pseudo-code of what are you thinking to substitute the individuals checks.
If you did a check for movement speed (Or a check if Felix is using the walking animation.), and did calculations with sin (and cos?) on the direction you are facing, wouldn't that be enough? (Hopefully.)

Hm...? Since you wanted some code... then...:
If there are 8 directions, 0 to 7..., maybe something like this:
if dir & 1 == 0 { // This line disables diagonal pushes...
x += movement_speed * sin(dir * 45)
y += movement_speed * cos(dir * 45)
}

If you can't do sin/cos then you can make a data table for it, since that's how it's done in programming.
The sin equation should return numbers like 0, 1, 0, -1 when done properly. (If you include diagonals, then numbers in between.)

Is it possible to do all of this, or do you have to use the built-in commands for anything?

Quotehahahahaha you're too worried ...
I dunno... More just curious if you're trying to pretend to mess with me?

Not sure if the function in game does it in a similar way or not (Either I forgot because it's been so long, or not looked into it specifically.), but posting it here anyway.
080CDD80 = Object pushing function (when not using Move)
080CDDAE = Pushing direction limitations? It seems to take the direction the player is currently facing into account.
080CDE0C = Player animation while pushing an object
080CDE14 = Delay before pushing an object moves it
080CDE1A = Pushing sound effect
080CDE20 = Movement speed (r3), x3333 is the fully calculated default
080CDE38 = Delay before player moves (not including what is pushed)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

jjppof

Quote from: Fox on 11, December, 2014, 11:28:55 PM
QuoteGive a pseudo-code of what are you thinking to substitute the individuals checks.
If you did a check for movement speed (Or a check if Felix is using the walking animation.), and did calculations with sin (and cos?) on the direction you are facing, wouldn't that be enough? (Hopefully.)

Hm...? Since you wanted some code... then...:
If there are 8 directions, 0 to 7..., maybe something like this:
if dir & 1 == 0 { // This line disables diagonal pushes...
x += movement_speed * sin(dir * 45)
y += movement_speed * cos(dir * 45)
}

If you can't do sin/cos then you can make a data table for it, since that's how it's done in programming.
The sin equation should return numbers like 0, 1, 0, -1 when done properly. (If you include diagonals, then numbers in between.)

Is it possible to do all of this, or do you have to use the built-in commands for anything?

Unless you want to make a function in ruby to just call it when the event is activated, you don't need to do it, cause rpg maker give you some 'programmation blocks' that make the things easy. Push is working, the diagonal problem is when the Move psy is used. A pseudo code of how pushing is working:

if button_pressed == up and char_facing == 'up':
   push_pillar('up')
else if button_pressed == left and char_facing == 'left':
   push_pillar('left')
else if button_pressed == right and char_facing == 'right':
   push_pillar('right')
else if button_pressed == down and char_facing == 'down':
   push_pillar('down')

I think its simple enough.

Of course in the event this code is bigger, but it's due to 'conditional branch' limitations.
Sin/cos calculations wouldn't be needed since rpg maker give us a method to move just passing the (x,y) coord.

Quote from: Fox on 11, December, 2014, 11:28:55 PM
Quotehahahahaha you're too worried ...
I dunno... More just curious if you're trying to pretend to mess with me?

I'm BR huehueh.. we mess around with people.

Well, yes, but that method has more lines of code. I guess I like things simplified too much. (As long as it doesn't make things too confusing anyway... Usually this is the case: More lines of code equals more confusing.) Fewer lines of code could help in decreasing file size... And sometimes the benefit of fewer lines leads to faster execution, but this should only be a concern when things are executing too slowly.

@Move psy: By the way, where is that code? (I have no idea if I thought it was the same code as the push one or not... but oh well.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

jjppof

Quote from: Fox on 12, December, 2014, 06:39:27 AM
Well, yes, but that method has more lines of code. I guess I like things simplified too much. (As long as it doesn't make things too confusing anyway... Usually this is the case: More lines of code equals more confusing.) Fewer lines of code could help in decreasing file size... And sometimes the benefit of fewer lines leads to faster execution, but this should only be a concern when things are executing too slowly.

@Move psy: By the way, where is that code? (I have no idea if I thought it was the same code as the push one or not... but oh well.)

Yes, we all have to make the simpler. You are absolutely right.
In the push event, the if-else I showed at the last reply is splitted into two if-elses, because in 'conditional branch' I just can check things once. So I had to do a 'gambiarra' (maybe in english you call it macgyverism ahahahahah) to make the two things a needed to check (face and button pressed) work.

The move event is the one below. That's the one that needs some improvements. In my list I checked it as yellow.  :happy:

QuoteThe move event is the one below.
Thank you! The tile below. Got it. Didn't see that one before.

EDIT:
Quote'gambiarra' (maybe in english you call it macgyverism ahahahahah)
Don't know either word... But workaround seems to sound best for me.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

jjppof

well.. I'll wait for the open golden sun results that probably will be amazing. That project is light-years away better than this. There's no sense keep working here.

Quote from: jjppof on 22, December, 2014, 11:22:06 AM
well.. I'll wait for the open golden sun results that probably will be amazing. That project is light-years away better than this. There's no sense keep working here.
I agree.
Especially since the RPG Maker isn't easily accessible to everyone. (Because it either needs to be paid for, or pirated... And there are people who probably don't like either.)
And often times I feel like RPG Makers/Game Makers are more of a hassle to deal with than a normal code editor. Probably because the mouse is often used which slows things down a bit.

I can't wait to see how their project will be organized. (I wish they'd at least screenshot their code. ;) )
(Even now, I'm still documenting the GBA games. It's a lot of code, but if you try to figure out how it is sectioned, it probably makes things seem somewhat less. For example, my latest find is that there are 6(+?) functions in Battle Mechanics that seem to be listing the chars in some way or another, be it the PCs or enemies, etc.)
[spoiler=General description of the functions... but this can be ignored.]1. First four PCs in PC list. (3 if multiplayer?)
2. Last four PCs in PC list. (0 if multiplayer?) (Likely "PCs waiting in back.")
3. Enemies list...
4. Characters not downed in battle list. (PC and/or Enemies depending on argument.)
5. Characters not downed list. (PC and/or Enemies depending on argument.)
6. Seems to copy characters in battle that aren't downed. (PC and/or Enemies depending on argument.) Might not be the same as #4, though.

#3-5: Enemies with [+12A]!=0 is required to be added to list.[/spoiler]

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

jjppof

Quote from: Fox on 22, December, 2014, 02:54:17 PM
Quote from: jjppof on 22, December, 2014, 11:22:06 AM
I agree.
Especially since the RPG Maker isn't easily accessible to everyone. (Because it either needs to be paid for, or pirated... And there are people who probably don't like either.)
And often times I feel like RPG Makers/Game Makers are more of a hassle to deal with than a normal code editor. Probably because the mouse is often used which slows things down a bit.
And furthermore, the work to adapt the engine is usually not effective and always leaves gaps ... He did something that everyone has laziness about doing: made his own engine. But the more impressive is the fidelity he's keeping with the original GS, I just can't see difference. Very very nice work.
Quote from: Fox on 22, December, 2014, 02:54:17 PM

I can't wait to see how their project will be organized. (I wish they'd at least screenshot their code. ;) )
(Even now, I'm still documenting the GBA games. It's a lot of code, but if you try to figure out how it is sectioned, it probably makes things seem somewhat less. For example, my latest find is that there are 6(+?) functions in Battle Mechanics that seem to be listing the chars in some way or another, be it the PCs or enemies, etc.)
[spoiler=General description of the functions... but this can be ignored.]1. First four PCs in PC list. (3 if multiplayer?)
2. Last four PCs in PC list. (0 if multiplayer?) (Likely "PCs waiting in back.")
3. Enemies list...
4. Characters not downed in battle list. (PC and/or Enemies depending on argument.)
5. Characters not downed list. (PC and/or Enemies depending on argument.)
6. Seems to copy characters in battle that aren't downed. (PC and/or Enemies depending on argument.) Might not be the same as #4, though.

#3-5: Enemies with [+12A]!=0 is required to be added to list.[/spoiler]

Well.. I'm waiting something based on a API like opengl, those filters he's using is probably a clue... I'm waiting some battle videos to try understand better the engine base. One thing I'm almost sure is that the code will not be organized (thought) as assembly, the latest paradigms greatly facilitate the programming work. Unless he's doing the engine directly based from the game ROM, here your work will be of extreme importance. But even so, I bet only on formulas and game data in general.

The code not being organized the same way as the games is one reason I'm interested in knowing how their code is organized.

The games have a Battle Mechanics section, but the battle menu stuff is in the dialogue/menus section, and there are some battle-related functions in Party Mechancs as well. (Elemental stuff, including the Attack/Cast/Healing functions; the RNG, and some Ability Effect related code.) (And yes, I think that RNG is only used for battles? But there's another RNG  in another section that is for general use, I believe.)

I'm willing to bet OpenGoldenSun will feature a real RNG, and that there will only be one. I'm also willing to bet that the Battle Menu and Ability Effects stuff will be with all the other battle stuff... but I dunno.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

jjppof

Well, I indeed left the RPG Maker project. In the past weeks, I saw some nice flash projects here in the community, so I also decided to have a try.

Here is a video of what is going on:

I'm not good with pixel art, sprite sheets etc... so, some bugs are due to this. But the thing is, I made this to receive maps from Tiled Map Editor (http://www.mapeditor.org/), to receive Sprite Sheets from Texture Packer (https://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker) and determinate the collisions with Physics Editor (https://www.codeandweb.com/physicseditor). Look some images:

- The map editor with buildings hidden and, on the left, the tileset  I created:

- The texture packer with the individual images of Isaac, It identifies the movement just by the name you gave:

- The physics editor with the magic wand to select where you want the char to don't walk:

To create a collision image, is just hide the collider layers in map editor and export the entire map as image.

In the video, when I'm recording, the fps fall from 60 to 48, I'm still inspecting it.

Look the other city I made

This last map was bad, because I used 32x32 px tiles.

Do you think if It is easy to create maps and chars? What you guys think?

Luna_blade

Quote from: jjppof on 23, February, 2015, 09:40:42 AM
Well, I indeed left the RPG Maker project. In the past weeks, I saw some nice flash projects here in the community, so I also decided to have a try.
Yeah, well it wasn't unexpected. I'm not sure how the current OpenGoldenSun is doing though...
Which flash projects? Formina's arena? Atrius' old project?

I'm not good with pixel art, sprite sheets etc... so, some bugs are due to this. But the thing is, I made this to receive maps from Tiled Map Editor (http://www.mapeditor.org/), to receive Sprite Sheets from Texture Packer (https://www.codeandweb.com/texturepacker) and determinate the collisions with Physics Editor (https://www.codeandweb.com/physicseditor). Look some images:
- The map editor with buildings hidden and, on the left, the tileset  I created:

- The texture packer with the individual images of Isaac, It identifies the movement just by the name you gave:

Wow looking good!!! Far better than the latest version of the RPGmaker. Altough there aren't any menus or psyenergy added yet?
- The physics editor with the magic wand to select where you want the char to don't walk:
To create a collision image, is just hide the collider layers in map editor and export the entire map as image.
In the video, when I'm recording, the fps fall from 60 to 48, I'm still inspecting it.
Collosion dectection stuff in flash? I knew it could be done in RPGMaker using the method you show here, but flash?
Do you think if It is easy to create maps and chars? What you guys think?
Yes, this looks pretty easy and fun. What do I think:
Where did you get this project? Did you make it yourself?
Anyway, keep up the good work!
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

jjppof

Quote from: Luna_blade on 23, February, 2015, 03:04:08 PM
Yeah, well it wasn't unexpected. I'm not sure how the current OpenGoldenSun is doing though...
Which flash projects? Formina's arena? Atrius' old project?
Yes, these ones.

Wow looking good!!! Far better than the latest version of the RPGmaker. Altough there aren't any menus or psyenergy added yet?

No, not yet. It's too recent. The next step will be the menus, cause I need them to make the battle system. Probably I'll be using Feathers (http://feathersui.com/).

Collosion dectection stuff in flash? I knew it could be done in RPGMaker using the method you show here, but flash?

Yes, using Flash and Box2D. The RPG Maker collision system was horrible and annoying to adapt. With Box2D I could make a collision system with a precision I want. Look these images:

In game:

High precision(unnecessary):

Yes, this looks pretty easy and fun. What do I think:
Where did you get this project? Did you make it yourself?
Anyway, keep up the good work!

Of course I didn't make the map editor, texture packer and physics editor. But the flash project is mine. What I want is make something for who is gonna make the art don't get bothered with codes.

Luna_blade

So you combined those projects into one?
And are you making an engine for the whole game like the RPG project or just map making (im guessing the whole game)?

Okay that is indeed a better collision system.

I'm not sure if you already have some kind of beta, but I'd like to try it out. Map making is also really I like.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

jjppof

An engine for whole game.

You can try making a map in the tiled map editor (download here: http://www.mapeditor.org/download.html). It will be preferred that you use 16x16 px tiles, but you can use whatever you want. I attached the madra example, so you can see how It is. Give me the final project of the map (tmx file from the editor), that I will record a video explaining how to make the collision thing with your map, It's quick and easy.

Just make sure to separate the collision and the 'over the hero' layers.