News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

What are the weird things in Golden Sun that we might want to fix?

Started by Thunder-squall, 28, April, 2014, 05:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

What are the weird things we want to fix, and how do we fix them?  This topic was inspired by the following post, which may also be used as a starting point.

Quote from: KyleRunner on 28, April, 2014, 05:00:53 PM

Remember when I was talking about the inconsistencies? Well, there are some things that always bothered me, for example:

1) Why the hell Mia did not try to heal Isaac's mother as she did with the old guy in Imil? Why Isaac did not give his mother an Hermes Water? I mean... come on... She is his MOTHER!
2) Why the group of heroes decided to help Babi? He is the worst guy in the game. He kidnapped Sheba, forced the laliverans to build his lighthouse, ruled Tolbi with force (making a lot of scared people flee from there). Before that, he cheated the Lemurians, who aided him in his travels... Why would Isaac help him to achieve eternal life?
3)... I'll remember more...

A lot of it seems to do with character motivations.

Rolina

I'd argue the illness Isaac's mom has is psychological.  She's lost her husband, and now her son is going off on some journey he's like to not come back from.

Isaac helps Babi because he's Lawful Good.  He does as he's told.
Felix doesn't just bumrush to light the lighthouses because he's more Neutral Good or Chaotic Good - he's willing to do the right thing, even if it means defying authority (in this case, the Proxians and Alex.  Remember when he defied S&M at the end of GS1?)

KyleRunner

Quote from: Rolina on 28, April, 2014, 08:24:27 PM
I'd argue the illness Isaac's mom has is psychological.  She's lost her husband, and now her son is going off on some journey he's like to not come back from.

Isaac helps Babi because he's Lawful Good.  He does as he's told.
Felix doesn't just bumrush to light the lighthouses because he's more Neutral Good or Chaotic Good - he's willing to do the right thing, even if it means defying authority (in this case, the Proxians and Alex.  Remember when he defied S&M at the end of GS1?)

I can agree that it may be caused by her psiquè, but the fact is that there are physical symptoms, that - yes - could be, at least, minimized by some sort of remedy. When I get stressed, I tend to get a gold easily, so I treat the cold too.

He is lawful good or stupid? :) Hey, Isaac, help me here, I need to ignite this beacon! Okay, Saturos, I'm on my way!

Babi is WAY worse than Saturos!

Thunder-squall

I've come across the term "lawful good" a lot as I've scavenged old threads, and I don't think it ever applies -- Isaac is trusting, Felix is skeptical.  I don't think the distinction is lawful vs. chaotic.

Rolina

Isaac does what he's told.  It doesn't necessarily mean that he's naive, but it does mean he follows orders.  Babi may not be a good guy, but he's the authority, and he is the one with the power to allow Isaac to proceed - or to order his arrest.  Lawful does what it's told to get results.  Isaac is trying to save the world.  Therefore, Lawful Good.  Felix on the other had is more than eager to find another way, or to move forward by overthrowing the despot.  Thus, Chaotic/Neutral Good.

Saturos never explained himself to Isaac, which is why he got hacked to pieces.  A simple "I'm trying to save the world here, genius!" would have gone a long way, just like Felix proved.  As the trope goes, "Poor Communication Kills".

KyleRunner

Quote from: Rolina on 29, April, 2014, 09:16:58 AM
Isaac does what he's told.  It doesn't necessarily mean that he's naive, but it does mean he follows orders.  Babi may not be a good guy, but he's the authority, and he is the one with the power to allow Isaac to proceed - or to order his arrest.  Lawful does what it's told to get results.  Isaac is trying to save the world.  Therefore, Lawful Good.  Felix on the other had is more than eager to find another way, or to move forward by overthrowing the despot.  Thus, Chaotic/Neutral Good.

Saturos never explained himself to Isaac, which is why he got hacked to pieces.  A simple "I'm trying to save the world here, genius!" would have gone a long way, just like Felix proved.  As the trope goes, "Poor Communication Kills".

You do have a point. Without Babi's "help"/permission, it would be nearly impossible to continue.

So you point is: since Isaac swore to do something for Babi, he has a moral obligation to fulfill his wish. Well... I guess it is right, cuz it is a life/death matter.

Although I'll think of an alternative way, I believe you're not wrong.