Golden Sun Hacking Community
January 16, 2018, 09:41:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Adepts. What are they? What are dark psi energy powers?  (Read 8262 times)
Thunder-squall
Mercury Clan

Great Member

Coins: 0

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 09:01:44 PM »

You also have to keep in mind that you have not explained this working theory to me, so anything I say that may seem disingenuous to you comes from a state of ignorance from me.  I cannot even know if I'm betraying something if I'm not even aware of its existence.  Before you start referencing a theory, you need to either post a link to said theory or explain it in full, otherwise I have no context in your meaning.

Here, we speak of light and darkness, and nowhere except there was evil energy referenced.  My assumption that you referred to darkness as evil energy came from that because that's what we were talking about.  It's why I always reference Flip Side theory and link it if able when I start discussing stuff about that, so that you know where the context is coming from.  Otherwise, any references I make to the "other side" simply seem confusing and out of place, or worse, as wholly disruptive to my own points.

Before we go any further, can I hear this idea in full so that I know what it is your referencing, so as to give a more educated analysis?

I think that's pretty weak.  I discussed my working theory right before the part where I said "At least that's my working theory."

And if you're claiming ignorance, then you're saying you started attacking and arguing before you knew what was even talked about? As if on auto-pilot?  Yes, of course you did.

When people engage in conversation, they should come out knowing more. Not less.  This is the difference between discussion and debate.

But "when in Rome," right?  I'll get you your debate.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:03:45 PM by Thunder-squall » Logged
View Profile

New User

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 08:20:32 PM »

Psychic
Energy

Psynergy.

As for what I believe Dark Adepts to be... Well, I hope you like reading.

The Aspect System, Part 1 - Fundaments
The Aspect System, Part 2 - Aspects
The Aspect System, Part 3 - Alignments

Though parts of it may make mentions about not being Golden Sun exactly, everything is taken straight from Golden Sun save the alignment system (part 3).  The alignment system is my own thing.  To me, a Dark Adept is someone who is either of the Dusk, Nadir, or Eclipse affinities.  You cannot literally wield darkness, though.  Haures and Charon are Venus elemental, and all of the Chaos Chimera's "dark abilities" were elemental in nature.

Well thought out and sound theory that explains how some Adepts of the same Element have different forms of Psynergy such as Jenna being able to heal with Mars while Garret is only able to destroy. It doesn't necessarily rule out the existence of Adepts who can manipulate the fundaments with Psynergy in a similar vein as the traditional elements though. Another caveat I must add is the presumption that metal has no elemental affinity. Going by classical alchemical theory, all matter is composed of at least one of the four elements. Metal is no exception and given one of the Venus Djinn is called Steel, the logical conclusion is that metal is primarily an Aspect of Venus. Other more complex entities, i.e. living organisms, are composed of a combination of the four elements, possibly in accordance to proportion and structure. Alchemy is the movement of elements leading to the change in the structure and distribution of a material body. Case and point: by shifting out Mars and rearranging the proportion and shape of Venus and Mercury, a living human body can be transmuted into a tree.

Thus interaction between the elements and the fundaments would probably be a bit more complex than a 4x3 chart.

View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 08:53:35 PM »

Well thought out and sound theory that explains how some Adepts of the same Element have different forms of Psynergy such as Jenna being able to heal with Mars while Garret is only able to destroy. It doesn't necessarily rule out the existence of Adepts who can manipulate the fundaments with Psynergy in a similar vein as the traditional elements though. Another caveat I must add is the presumption that metal has no elemental affinity. Going by classical alchemical theory, all matter is composed of at least one of the four elements. Metal is no exception and given one of the Venus Djinn is called Steel, the logical conclusion is that metal is primarily an Aspect of Venus. Other more complex entities, i.e. living organisms, are composed of a combination of the four elements, possibly in accordance to proportion and structure. Alchemy is the movement of elements leading to the change in the structure and distribution of a material body. Case and point: by shifting out Mars and rearranging the proportion and shape of Venus and Mercury, a living human body can be transmuted into a tree.
I can quiet agree to this. That's probably how it works. I wonder then if the persons 'actual' psynergy effect is affected by genetics...
Welcome to the forums BTW!
Thus interaction between the elements and the fundaments would probably be a bit more complex than a 4x3 chart.
I agree. BUT it is alot of work, and really unnecessary when you get the concept from the 4x3 chart.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 02:49:56 AM »

@Dingo:  Actually, aspect theory has nothing to do with destruction and healing, and only handles the form the elements take and what ailments they can use (ex:  Lightning spells shouldn't inflict poison, but wind spells could totally do it).  Healing is completely independant of aspect - Garet could be able to do it, but it's not how he's built.  What you're looking for is class role.  Garet is a Defender, while Jenna is a Jack of Trades.  These roles are what lend them those skills.  After all, all Garet has to do is change classes to heal - aspect ain't got nothing to do with it.

Also, healing and recovery are handled differently.  Healing and Damage are considered Creation and Destruction, and are associated with the "Pure aspects".  Because the pure aspects just plain earth, wind, water, and fire, they also apply to all other aspects as well.  As such, both damage and healing are available to all adepts, no matter what, as long as the class can use it.  Recovery, on the other hand, would be spells like Cure Poison, Break, Drain, and Revive.  These are associated with Sol, but are actually available to all adepts.  Even I could use revival if my secondary was Supporter (it's not - I'm a Striker/Controller).  Only ailments are affected by fundament, and that's just because they're aspect locked.

Class and psynergy is more tied to the adept as a person.  If you look at Team Isaac's classes, their spells actually fit their personalities.  Isaac is a bit of a Lawful Good Paladin-y type, and his class is basically an offensive take on the paladin, healing and revival and all.  Garet's slow witted but loyal to a fault.  He works well as a defender, though he needs a counter-type spell to really take advantage of that.  Mia's profession in and of itself is that of a healer, and she does show that she cares about others.  Her supporter style class shows that.  Ivan's arguably the most tactical of the group, as he comes up with quite a few ideas.  His nice selection of supports showcases this.

Basically, your element is determined by two things - genetics and location.  Your race is determined strictly by genetics.  Your fundament could be any number of things, it's not really tied to anything.  And your spells?  Apart from the basics, which we all must learn, your spells are all up to you.  How you think they're best done.  After all, you're the one who trained them and learned them.  You're the one who built yourself up.  You aren't a Squire because your father was, you're a squire because you wanted to be one.  You have a ton of freedom with your class - it's basically a reflection of you.

@Metal:  Metal is stone that is forged by fire, cooled by water, and tested by air.  It is a non-elemental aspect (because non-elemental spells should be a thing too).  Raw light and Raw darkness are also non-elemental, with the Solar and Lunar affinities respectively (because duh).  Also, the steel djinn is a pun.  You're "stealing" the enemy's HP.  It doesn't actually have any steel in the animation - hell, it's a freaking KISS in Dark Dawn.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:52:30 AM by Rolina » Logged

View Profile WWW

I am: reading.

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 03:29:42 AM »

Adepts that lean toward the dark side of the psynergy scale.

Dark psynergy; "Shadow Shield" is probably the only known dark psynergy ability used in the game.  ("Punish" could possibly be one.)  The appearance and effect of shadow shield suggest that it is dark influenced psynergy instead of a completely new type of psynergy.  This also suggest that dark adepts are simply dark influenced adepts, though the method they used to obtain their imbalance is unknown.  It could be similar to the method used by the pioneer light adepts from Dark Dawn.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »

Problem there is that it's actually not psynergy.  It costs Blados and Chalise nothing to cast, implying that it's actually an item ability.  None of their attacks cost anything, for that matter, and as a result there's a strong part of the fandom that believes they're not adepts at all.  I mean, you'd think that if they were, they'd at least fight like it. 

View Profile WWW

Coins: 2

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 04:16:43 PM »

0) Sorry for bumping this, but I couldn't resist!
1) I love your Theory about Sol/Luna alignments within each element. I'm not completely sold on your categorisation, but I definitely can see the macroscopic picture fitting within the golden sun universe. (For instance, Venus is pretty strongly associated with life and death and that seems somewhat difficult to bring into your current breakdown. Similarly, poison and acid seem pretty similar at a heuristic level but are aligned with venus/mars respectively and even combined in Haures so I'm a little dubious of acid being a large part of mars. And along those lines Crystalux being a justification for crystaline structures when thats a Venus/Merc summon again seems like a bit of a stretch (although there's a good argument for many rigid structures within Venus to be incorporated somehow within this - eg. crystals, metal, stone and so on)). ANYWAY.. I disgress. Point is, it's a really clever way to view the light/dark "psynergy" thing and I hope its canon!
2) On dark "psynergy" like shadow shield. One could make an argument that Dark Psynergy works off of the absence of psynergy. A kind of anti-psynergy if you will. There's a pretty good case for that;
- Psy grenades could be seen as the dark psynergy version of a crystal powder or bramble seed
- Dark psynergy seems strongly tied to the vortexes, which sap adepts of PP
- "dark psynergy" doesn't cost any PP to cast (or falls outside of the "known" psynergy)
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 02:41:37 AM »

Poison is actually associated with multiple elements - Venus is just the most common.  As such, I've come to believe that ailments should be more associated with aspects than with elements, and that there's no reason that they couldn't be associated with multiple elements either.

Poison, for example, would be associated with Plant, Caustic, Wind, and Water aspects, for example.  Each element is represented, and there's a relatively easy logical argument for each of those forms.  However, claiming that poison is associated with Stone, Explosives, Lightning, or Steam isn't really going to go very far.

Acid/Corrosives are mars mainly because that's what the games said they were.  Acid Bath, Acid Bite, etc - any ability that has acidic themes to it is given the Mars element.  Mars and Jupiter's third aspect were actually the easiest to pin down because both of them have solid support within the games.  Crystal was harder to do - no real examples can be found outside of a djinn until Dark Dawn, where Crystallux pretty much locks it down.  Mercury has like, no precedent period - I just went with the third state of water.

As for Poison and Acid being similar... I'm honestly not sure where people come from with that claim - I've never really understood it myself.  Things get really confusing when you're in the pokemon fandom, too - the acid move being ineffective on Steel types?  I call BS.  That'd be super effective for sure.  So... yeah, my mental thought processes are just kind of "...that's not how that works", so I really don't get it.  One way to explain my point is that poisons can come in many forms, but the most common is through enzymes (which is arguably why Venus is the most common source).  Acid/Caustic things are strictly chemical reactions, however - the way they inflict harm is also quite different.  Acid has much more in common with fire than it does with poisons in how it affects flesh, too.

I've never been a fan of Haures, Charon, or Iris' elemental choice.  They've always come across as summons that should have been tetra-elemental to me. After all, all elements have themes of light and dark within them - it'd only make sense that light/dark themed summons would use a bit of each.

2)  The problem with this is that Dark Dawn itself contradicts this theory.  If that's how alchemy works, then the Grave Eclipse should have caused life to start dying off, rather than to cause it to evolve rapidly.  In addition, while I would have whole heartedly agreed with you as to how Dark works pre-dark dawn, DD pretty much disproved the whole Symbol Theory in favor of introducing the almighty vagueness that is "Fundaments".  Honestly, Dark Dawn didn't know what the hell it was doing with either light or dark - on one hand, it supported the fan theory of darkness being anti-psynergy, while on the other it has that dark=chaos thing going on, which is directly counter to that.

As for the Vortexes...  I'm not certain there were any strong ties or even hints towards its relation.  I'm going to lean towards Flip Side Theory on this one, and say that the vortexes are caused by an Imbalance of Pressure between the two sides of Weyard.

View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 05:39:43 AM »

I'm somewhat ashamed that after posting I went away to read up on every psynergy for each element in an effort to better understand things. First things first, the mixing of elements to create psynergy is pretty much impossible as currently set out by the games - growth being Venus, Venus+Mars, Venus+Jupiter and Venus+Mercury makes that difficult to account for within the theory. Secondly, I'm hesitant to read too much into summons are evidence because that's where the essence of two elements is combined (or 1 if you're talking about the basic summons). Lastly, to me it looks like Mercury/Venus and Mars/Jupiter are related to each other in structure, hopefully you can see that from these lists.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, from what I gathered the elements have the following themes:

Venus:
- Life and plants; growth, thorn, revive, punji trap, etc. (you could make an argument for cure here, given the strength of venus's cure)
- Death and the demonic; assassinate, condemn, thorny grave, poisons, curses, etc.
- Manipulation of Earth; Spire, Quake, Gaia etc.
- Swords; Ragnarok, Helm Splitter, Sabre Dance, Weapons Grace, etc.
- Dragons; because Himi -_-;

Mercury:
- Healing; Ply, Wish, (you could argue fairies belong here as well) (healing is strongly associated with Merc, as opposed to other elements which also have heals, as Merc has the strongest heals available)
- Being Healthy/Restorative Effects; Cure Poison, Restore, Break, etc.
- Manipulation of water as a medium; Douse, Cutting edge etc.
- Manipulation of the state of water; Prism, Frost, Ice, Parch etc.

Mars:
- Manipulation of Flame; Flare, Fire, Blaze, Fume, etc.
- Ability to cause tremendous amounts of heat; Volcano, Lava, Beam, Heat Wave, Arid Heat etc. (or to manipulate existing heat sources, such as planetary)
- Explosions; Blast, Starbust, Fire bomb, Burst, etc.
- Associated with Defense manipulation

Jupiter
- Manipulation of Wind: Whirlwind, Slash, Gale, Fresh Breeze (to some extent), etc.
- Manipulation of Lightning: Plasma, Ray, Thunder Mine, etc.
- Movement: Halt, Speed Punch, Death Leap, Quick Strike, Teleport etc.
- Attack and Resistance manipulation
- Manipulation of the Mind: Sleep, Drain, Mind read etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reading through this you can kind of see that Venus/Mercury are set up to be opposites (or complements?) of each other as are Mars/Jupiter. Venus gives life or takes it away while Mercury gives a healthy life given you are living. Venus adepts are generally offensive (see their association with swords) while Mercury are defensive or peaceful. Jupiter can enhance attack while Mars enhance defense. Jupiter can manipulate the mind signalling a heightened mental capacity, while mars adepts are generally portrayed as lower down on the IQ spectrum! You can also ratify this with the other elemental associations -- Venus/Jupiter are both 'attacking' elements are so are mutually weak to each other, similar for Mars/Mercury being 'defensive' elements (purely from psynergy, of course). Mars/Venus and Jupiter/Mercury being symbiotic could also be seen in this with the right interpretation.

What I haven't been able to do is bring this inline with the fundamentals theory, but I'll keep thinking about it because it should be possible.
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2015, 06:06:35 AM »

Reading through this you can kind of see that Venus/Mercury are set up to be opposites (or complements?)
I dunno what to say...
Well, given how Class Types work, and the in-game story with Mercury Lighthouse weakening Saturos, but Venus Lighthouse strengthening him due to Mars/Venus being aligned together... then... this is the way I have thought of it.

Complements/aligned elements:
Sol/naturally hot: Venus + Mars
Luna/naturally cold: Jupiter + Mercury

Opposites:
Offensive: Venus + Jupiter
Defensive: Mars + Mercury

No idea:
Venus + Mercury
Mars + Jupiter

And the hot to cold order thing...
Mars, Venus, Jupiter, Mercury

Sols on left, Lunas on right. Jupiter with the cool winds as hinted in Contigo... and needing to rush to Mars Lighthouse to warm things up... Mercury has ice-like psynergy. (Frost, and you need a hotter element to get Douse.)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:30:56 AM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 06:16:49 AM »

I mean purely from a "how does their psynergy manipulate stuff" point of view for Venus-Merc Mars-Jupiter.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 06:24:29 AM »

Okay. You seemed to not know if they were complements or opposites, so I was just giving my take. (Probably both?)
Would be nice to know what to call them in a general view not limited to the psynergy itself, I guess.  -  Irregular comparisons? Umm...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 06:33:53 AM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 06:43:23 AM »

Oh I'm very well aware of the elements interaction between themselves (I even mentioned that in the last paragraph). Venus-Mercury and Mars-Jupiter has always bugged me though. Looking at how the psynergies are designed for each element somewhat makes that connections clearer - Venus/Mercury and Mars/Jupiter take different aspects of the same themes and together create a complete spectrum within that theme. Venus/Mars and Mercury/Jupiter are complementary (from this point of view) in the sense that between those elements there is little to no overlap between the themes their psynergies cover. While Venus/Jupiter and Mercury/Mars have overlapping themes AND aspects within those themes, suggesting they're competing or in tension. Looking at this p[synergy list from this perspective gives you complete relationship between the elements and agrees with the games canon of symbiotic and opposing elements.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 07:09:12 AM »

Reading through this you can kind of see that Venus/Mercury are set up to be opposites (or complements?) of each other as are Mars/Jupiter.
Maybe I shouldn't be staring at that question-mark.... Because that's what I was going by. :/

Hmm, although, this may not be the same thing, this almost makes me think of lines in a 3D environment: Parallel, Perpendicular, and Skewed.

View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 05:46:20 AM »

Lastly, to me it looks like Mercury/Venus and Mars/Jupiter are related to each other in structure, hopefully you can see that from these lists. (...)
That's basically conforming what I thought about the elements.
Useable link:http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Alchemy
Quote from: Fox
No idea:
Venus + Mercury
Mars + Jupiter
Never thought about that.
Although TLA features a few summons that use this combination of elements.
I guess  VenusMercury = healing of some sort?

Venus Matter
 Mercury Body
 Mars Force
 Jupiter Mind
This is what I think the elements represent in one aspect.

Also, aren't we going a bit off-topic with all these element theories?

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 07:26:16 PM
Fox: (path) 1 text=(address) char=(address) free=(address) ; << Well, closer to this... but yeah... even if I do choose to have defaults in the code, I could still use this method for overrides.
Yesterday at 07:24:28 PM
Fox: So like (path) 0 text=(address) char=(address) len=(number) ; (path) 1 free=(address) ; Or something. But that's just a quick example.
Yesterday at 06:59:14 PM
Fox: Hopefully. I was wanting to make it so you could put in the addresses/etc. as one of the arguments in the path. Hm?
Yesterday at 03:37:07 PM
KyleRunner: Nice! I hope you'll add compatibility with others games (GS1, Mario Golf and Tennis) soon.
January 14, 2018, 11:40:09 PM
Fox: Okay. Posted (in Downloads section) an initial cutdown version for now, for my text compressor. Basically to separate the code from my Editor for anyone who wants to mess with it. It only supports GS2, because I still didn't add the addresses/etc. for the other games.
January 14, 2018, 05:01:00 PM
Fox: Okay! Going to need to think how I want it to work. Initial thoughts is maybe have a number of arguments in the filepath thing. And have a number of shortcuts (files) to be used as examples. Assuming there are no problems.
January 14, 2018, 10:38:24 AM
KyleRunner: Well... I'm used to editing text ina a text editor, so... yes! Thanks in advance!
January 13, 2018, 11:38:43 PM
Fox: (Text editor = Text Document like notepad.)
January 13, 2018, 11:38:21 PM
Fox: Would you prefer during the text editing in a text editor? (Like what gstoolkit lets you do?) I could probably make a separate tool or something to compress it.
January 13, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
KyleRunner: Ok. Once I finish my Lost Age translation, I'll try a Mario Golf one. Thanks. (But I'll need help).
January 13, 2018, 10:03:17 PM
Fox: If you want to make it "permanent" (part of a hack), then you'd edit code in the ROM that writes to this location of the IDs you'd want to change. (You can find these locations by using a breakpoint debugger like SDL-H or no$gba.)
January 13, 2018, 10:00:11 PM
Fox: Reload/switch = Recommended to be done through Debug mode/warp menu, ofcourse... since doors seem to appear as if they were disabled? ; 03001238:01 and B+Start to get to warp menu.
January 13, 2018, 09:55:39 PM
Fox: @Kyle Runner = It might be, but you'd have to use the correct addresses for Mario Golf, rather than for GS2 as I have it right now. ; @raijinken = Yes. 02000454 = ID of leader. (Change this and reload/switch room you are in, enjoy.)
January 13, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
raijinken: Hey guys, is it possible to somehow change the lead character on the map? Was wondering. I remember there was a cheat to use Jenna, but what if I wanted Isaac, or Piers?
January 13, 2018, 02:10:03 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, Fox *
January 13, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, is your text editor compatible with Mario Golf (GBA)?
January 11, 2018, 08:33:13 PM
Fox: But if it isn't an oversight, I still can't imagine it being that useful.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
Fox: part, ofcourse.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:15 PM
Fox: 0200274C = Hmm... Stuff happens here when you use Cyclone around bushes. (These cause tile replacements, and setting event 0 to those tiles.) - And I guess this kept here so it can be scanned after battle. (To re-update the map.) So here is my fun thought (assuming if it is even possible, or even convenient if so.) ... Are there any events from other maps that could be disabled do to using Cyclone on bushes + Retreat glitch? I'll need to do some testing to make sure this isn't an oversight on my
January 09, 2018, 08:09:26 PM
Fox: And the chance for a Djinni battle is 50%.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise