News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Dark Adepts. What are they? What are dark psi energy powers?

Started by Thunder-squall, 29, April, 2014, 10:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

And what would dark psi-energy be?

Since there's no one stopping me, I'm going to make a bunch of things up.  I think dark-adepts can use portals to teleport through both space AND time, and also merge their matter with other matter, ie. to combine into a chaos chimera.

This is sort of a quantum theory idea, where under harsh light, there is but one reality, but without light (when there is no cosmic "observer"), reality may skip and skew as it pleases.  So things that would be well defined (space, time, matter) are no longer well defined.

This also applies to identity.  When using dark psi-energy (I spell it that way because I can, and because I'm used to saying psionics), people lose sense of their identity, and this may also have the effect of losing sense of their sanity.

Rolina

Psychic
Energy

Psynergy.

As for what I believe Dark Adepts to be... Well, I hope you like reading.

The Aspect System, Part 1 - Fundaments
The Aspect System, Part 2 - Aspects
The Aspect System, Part 3 - Alignments

Though parts of it may make mentions about not being Golden Sun exactly, everything is taken straight from Golden Sun save the alignment system (part 3).  The alignment system is my own thing.  To me, a Dark Adept is someone who is either of the Dusk, Nadir, or Eclipse affinities.  You cannot literally wield darkness, though.  Haures and Charon are Venus elemental, and all of the Chaos Chimera's "dark abilities" were elemental in nature.

I do like how you prefer Psionics, but look at it this way.  Kung Fu is still Kung Fu, but it's a style of Martial Arts.  Psynergy is still Psynergy, but it's a style of Psionics.

Thunder-squall

as it turns out, I hate reading.  Sing me a song or something.  Or at least post a two sentence wrap up.

QuoteTo me, a Dark Adept is someone who is either of the Dusk, Nadir, or Eclipse affinities.  You cannot literally wield darkness, though.  Haures and Charon are Venus elemental, and all of the Chaos Chimera's "dark abilities" were elemental in nature.

ok, so you've got an affinity system, which I presume is because the world is composed of those components, and different people resonate differently with those components...

If that's the case, is it something you brought up in "why do Adepts exist?"  Seems like the perfect place for it.

(reading now, and hating every second of it)

(neat web design though, I can see why you'd want to show it off)

Rolina

You're speaking to the High Mistress of Text Walls.  Reading is simply a part of interacting with me, I'm afraid.  Adepts exist because they do - the same reason magicians exist in worlds of high fantasy, and scientists in worlds of science and technology.  There really doesn't need to be a reason for them to exist - if nothing else, you can say it's a natural part of existence in this world.  Because, well... it kind of is in Weyard.

Light and Dark adepts, however, even with Dark Dawn have nearly zero support to their existence.  Blados and Chalis never once use a dark spell on you, and their Dark Barrier seems to follow the rules of using equipment as an item (zero PP cost, multiple uses).  Every instance of dark manipulation can be attributed to machines, bethey big or small.  All dark-themed attacks the Chaos Chimera use are associated with an element, as are Haures and Charon, the dark summons.

Light just has some nameless kid who says he can use light in the epilogue, but even then that just makes him a strong candidate for a Celestial Energy user, considering the heavy Jovian influence that seems to be going on in Belinsk and other places with werewolves.  Furthermore, we have examples of three different elements using light to attack - Venus vis Crystallux, a Crystal Aspect summon.  Mars through Iris, a Flame aspect summon.  And Jupiter through, like, every other Jupiter unleash.  No, seriously.  Light Surge, Void Beam, etc.  The only one that doesn't have an in-game example is Mercury, but simple Light Refraction can allow it to pull that off too.

Simply put, Light and Darkness have always been done through the four elements, and do not have an associated stat or djinn.  As such, one could easily argue that the Fundaments can't be used like the elements, but rather give shape to the elements instead.  That is why I came up with Aspect Theory - that there is a Light, Pure, and Dark form for all four elements.

Frustrating?  Hell yes, it's frustrating.  Even people like me who'd have preferred light and dark to never even show up in GS would have preferred it if they went ahead and gave them full element treatment, but they didn't do that.  They just... said they exist, and didn't expand on it or explain it at all.

Thunder-squall

Alright, so I guess there's

> The Grave Eclipse (which interferes with energy from "sol")
> The Mourning Moon (a giant psy energy votex)

> The Apollo Lense (which channels the light energy from... the sun? or "sol?")
> The Golden Sun  (an abundance of psy energy)

The parallels seem neat enough.  Dark Monsters spawn in the shadow of the Grave Eclipse, except near the presence of alchemy engines, such as the Well in Ayuthay, the Forge in Passaj, and the Lights in Harapa (activated by the Well and the Forge).  What's curious then is why dark monsters don't always appear in dark places.  Underground, for instance, or Tanglewood forest after dark (the starting dungeon in Dark Dawn).  It stands to reason that creatures that are found in those dark places are already evolutions of what the dark creatures of the grave eclipse may have turned into.

At least that's my working theory until I fact check some more.  But if true, we can identify dark powers by looking at all the monsters one would fight underground.

Also, this implies some things about Weyard, that

1.  The presence of evil energy is the default state, and is actively countered by sol.
2.  Alchemy is a light that can withstand the darkness, similar to sol.

3.  The absence of light energy (and the default presence of dark energy) causes creatures to involve in one way.
4.  The presence of light energy causes evolution in another way.

Also,

5. It supports Luna Blades (?) fan fics of evil creatures being found underground.
6. It supports my fan fic that whatever's under Weyard is a dark, dark place. (I'm talking about the entire planet here)

Thunder-squall

Sorry, my previous post was in response to this tidbit from your blog

Before Dark Dawn, Light and Darkness were symbolic and nothing else.  Sol seems to symbolize Alchemy, and Luna seemed to almost symbolize the Absence Of or Seal Upon Alchemy.  Dark Dawn threw all that out the window by making them actual things.

Basically, I see no reason why Dark Dawn changed the fundamental presence/absence of alchemy concept.  I think my previous post argues that it boils down to "sol" vs. "absence of sol"

Because dark energy is already everywhere, and already pervades much of the planet.  It seems to me that the story of Golden Sun is a story of a world that's lost to darkness, with Weyard being one of the last (if not the only) bastions of humanity left, kept alive by an artificial harnessing of celestial energy.

Rolina

Dark and Light are neither good nor evil.  Both have the potential to help and hender the party, and do in DD.  Darkness is needed to be protected from the intense light of the Apollo Sanctum, but also encouraged rapid evolution in monsters.  Light kept monsters at a weaker level of power, but also was very dangerous to the party in the Apollo Sanctum.

It's the behavior and presentation of light and dark that interests me, though - after analyzing it, I came to the conclusion that Light is a force of Order, while Darkness was a force of Chaos, as I outlined in the first part of my theory/system.  All of those things were deduced from observations in DD - until Camelot themselves say otherwise, I'll have hard time seeing it any other way.

Also, I don't know how much of GS you have played, but I pray it's not just DD.  GS has a habit of using shades of gray - nothing is truely good or evil.  The main villains of the first game?  Trying to save the world.  And you killed them.  You monster.  Golden Sun very much enjoys doing that - setting something up to look one way, but in reality it may be quite different.  Look at Babi, for instance.  In TBS, he was portrayed in a good light as a likable man.  You had to sit and think about it to realize the guy's a freaking dictator.  Later on, in the Lost Age, you start to find out how bad he really is.

If you've got a force that is for sure evil, I highly recommend it not be a Golden Sun story, as I guarantee you even B&C had very good reasons for wanting to attack their own country with the Apollo Cannon - perhaps to open a rebellion against an oppressive emperor, for instance.  To fight for the freedom of their people.  We still don't know Alex's motives, but something tells me he knows something's coming, and all this questing for power is to try and be able to oppose it, ala Magus from Chrono Trigger.

@Reply:  No, before they were mere symbols.  They didn't have a literal form, they were just purely symbolic.  DD made them substantial - made them an actual part of the world, rather than symbols.  It's the difference between using the Bible as a symbol for faith, and using the Bible as a book.  One is a symbol.  The other is a thing.

Thunder-squall

But the relationship between the symbols haven't changed.  Darkness is still the absence or counter of alchemy, and Light is still the presence of alchemy.  Literally, AND symbolically.  It seems that Dark Dawn has *added* to the lore in a way that makes sense, without changing what was once known.

That the alchemy engines keep away the Grave Eclipse monsters shows that alchemy is a force similar to sol, and so the light energy we see in Dark Dawn isn't something we hadn't already seen before through the Golden Sun event.  This challenges your previous assertion that they're different.  And if they're not different, then doesn't that solve all problems?

Quote from: Rolina on 30, April, 2014, 12:22:26 AM

Also, I don't know how much of GS you have played, but I pray it's not just DD.

It's totally just DD.  But I'm familiar with the 'gray area' theme of the series, and the stuff you mentioned.

If you've got a force that is for sure evil, I highly recommend it not be a Golden Sun story, as I guarantee you even B&C had very good reasons for wanting to attack their own country with the Apollo Cannon - perhaps to open a rebellion against an oppressive emperor, for instance.  To fight for the freedom of their people.  We still don't know Alex's motives, but something tells me he knows something's coming, and all this questing for power is to try and be able to oppose it, ala Magus from Chrono Trigger.

See, here you've gone from talking about a force of energy (like light or dark), to talking about people.  Which is nice, but irrelevant to the conversation, no?  I don't disagree with anything you've said, and you are not longer talking about any of the things I've said.  I agree that Dark and Light are neither good nor evil.  

But mankind cannot live in the darkness, just as it could not brave the light of the sol sanctum.  These are not moral claims, just factual statements.

It seems to me that the story of Golden Sun is a story of a world that's lost to darkness, with Weyard being one of the last (if not the only) bastions of humanity left, kept alive by an artificial harnessing of celestial energy.

^ See?  I didn't use the word good nor evil once.

And I didn't say there wasn't a cost to harnessing celestial power... I thought that was implied, given all we already know about the series.

Rolina

1:  ...Um, no.  No it's not.  It's far from that.  It took alchemy for both Dark and Light in Dark Dawn, and both are a part of alchemy in their own way.  They are not symbolic at all anymore.
2:  Well, that certainly explains a lot.  Okay, stop now and play the first two.  Before you do anything else.
3:  I'm making a point about Good and Evil in the GS series after your mention of "Evil Energy"
4:  Still pretty sure you referenced Evil Energy having a default state, referring to darkness.

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Rolina on 30, April, 2014, 08:52:18 AM
1:  ...Um, no.  No it's not.  It's far from that.  It took alchemy for both Dark and Light in Dark Dawn, and both are a part of alchemy in their own way.  They are not symbolic at all anymore.
2:  Well, that certainly explains a lot.  Okay, stop now and play the first two.  Before you do anything else.
3:  I'm making a point about Good and Evil in the GS series after your mention of "Evil Energy"
4:  Still pretty sure you referenced Evil Energy having a default state, referring to darkness.
1.  The only potentially new kind of alchemy was from Luna Tower, and it's debatable as to whether it radiated out a different kind of energy, a barrier to sol energy, or a filter for sol energy.
2. Nope.
3. Ctrl + F.  Search for when I mentioned 'evil energy'
4. Yes, I did reference that darkness was the default state, which, as an aside, is not uncommon in the world's mythologies, and neither do most of those mythologies describe the unnatural as evil.

Question: are there any issues with the entry on
http://goldensunwiki.net/Grave_Eclipse
?

It seems that Luna Tower limits sol, but I'm not sure if the dark energy output is a side effect of how Luna Tower works, or if it's just the absence of sol. If it's the former, then Dark Energy exists precisely to absorb and store light, as sort of pseudo (but not infinite) vortexes.  But then isn't it still basically the absence of psy energy?

We have another point of data on light and dark energy, and that is how it feels to people.  Dark energy feels like evil energy, whereas light energy seems to make people feel good.  Is this basically the DnD thing of channeling positive and negative energy?  Whereas as the other stuff is just arcane?

We have skeleton warriors, don't we?

Argh, I know this is too simple, but I gotta go. Later.  Feel free to disagree.  It's just a step in the conversation, and even I don't agree with it.  But we gotta walk the walk.

Rolina

We normally try to avoid doing this kind of thing, but the last several posts I've made have been based on the following:

Quote from: Thunder-squall on 30, April, 2014, 12:11:58 AM
Alright, so I guess there's

The parallels seem neat enough.  Dark Monsters spawn in the shadow of the Grave Eclipse, except near the presence of alchemy engines, such as the Well in Ayuthay, the Forge in Passaj, and the Lights in Harapa (activated by the Well and the Forge).  What's curious then is why dark monsters don't always appear in dark places.  Underground, for instance, or Tanglewood forest after dark (the starting dungeon in Dark Dawn).  It stands to reason that creatures that are found in those dark places are already evolutions of what the dark creatures of the grave eclipse may have turned into.

At least that's my working theory until I fact check some more.  But if true, we can identify dark powers by looking at all the monsters one would fight underground.

1.  The presence of evil energy is the default state, and is actively countered by sol.

3.  The absence of light energy (and the default presence of dark energy) causes creatures to involve in one way.

Also,

5. It supports Luna Blades (?) fan fics of evil creatures being found underground.
6. It supports my fan fic that whatever's under Weyard is a dark, dark place. (I'm talking about the entire planet here)

Let's be more focused here.  One color at a time.

Red: At no point in the game were the psynergy vortexes implied to be the same as darkness.  In fact, one can argue that the Mourning Moon and the Grave Eclipse are fundamentally different events.  Their behaviors do not match up - one drains alchemy from a large area.  The other empowers creatures due to the rapid absorption of light by the Eclipse Tower.  One weakens, another strengthens.  My argument is that both Darkness and Light would be opposing forces to the Psy Vortexes, if we look at them on a functional level.

Orange:  First, stop spelling it that way.  Psionics is the super-category.  Below that are things like Telekinetics, Psychokenetics, and Psynergetics.  It's a type of Psionic casting, there's no reason to do that.  It's like saying you want to call it Karartial Arts because you think Karate just isn't up to snuff compared to the Martial Arts supercategory that it's filed under.  Also because you're driving my OCD up a wall.  Second, the Golden Sun every much NOT Sol/Light.  It is raw elemental energy, and light and darkness were very clearly said to be NOT ELEMENTS - the fundaments are separate, but similar in nature according to Kraden in Belinsk.  This means that by it's very nature, the Golden Sun, the pure essence of the four elements coalesced into a single event, cannot be light by Dark Dawn's own lore.  Play the first two games to get a better understanding - don't just say no to them.  You need to play them to have a solid understanding of the series.

Yellow is hard to read, so Green:  Oh, I can clear that one up.  It's the difference between Darkness and Shadow.  Darkness in the traditional sense is the absence of light, while shadow is simply light being blocked.  An argument could also be made that darkness (lowercase d, or shadow) in and of itself isn't what grants that hyper-evolution to monsters, but rather fundamental Darkness (capital D, or Luna) is.  Monsters are stronger at night/in caves because of a similar function to how Mars would have greater power in a hot desert, or water would be stronger in a frozen tundra.  However, dark monsters in and of themselves wouldn't be found because they'd need a literal infusion of darkness for that spurt in evolution - something that the Grave Eclipse provided.

Blue:
Quote3. Ctrl + F.  Search for when I mentioned 'evil energy'
Quote1.  The presence of evil energy is the default state, and is actively countered by sol.
There you go.  You're equating darkness with evil.  This may have been a Freudian Slip of sorts and not what you meant to type, but it gives a lot of insight as to how you're approaching darkness itself.  Thus why I made that check against associating anything with good or evil.

Purple:  Mind if I ask you something?  How did the monsters in the Apollo Sanctum (the only place we have with strong light energies) evolve?

Also, would like to point out that Golden Sun most certainly does not work like D&D.  Radiant and Necrotic damage do not exist, nor does Anarchic or Axiomatic.  Instead, they are associated with the elements.  Crystallux, Iris, and various Jupiter Unleashes look like Radiant Damage, but are of the arcane elements.  Sonic/Thunder is instead associated with various of the arcane elements.  Psionic damage doesn't exist, because it's arcane elemental.  Poison damage is again, arcane elemental.  Notice the pattern here?  All character classes?  Arcane casters.  Yup - there's only the arcane in this world.

Thunder-squall

Red: At no point in the game were the psynergy vortexes implied to be the same as darkness.

And neither do I, which is why they are separate bullets. 

Many on your points are interesting, but overall you seem to be in the habit of misinterpreting people so that you can have the satisfaction and believing they're wrong (and that you corrected them).  And I can see how this will become increasingly irritating as time goes on, and I'm going to disengage from the conversation.

Rolina

...You are way off from what I'm like.  While yes, I do have trouble understanding certain points of view at times, I don't think this is one of them, and I don't get any "satisfaction from proving you wrong".  Your presentation of your points groups them together in certain ways, thus giving out implications of related features.  Had you not spaced them separately from the "light" things it wouldn't have been much of anything, and running away from the debate and namecalling isn't going to convince anyone one way or another.  The way you present light and dark seems to heavily imply that light is the good force and darkness is the evil force, even if you don't mean to write it that way.  I think your comparison to D&D's Radiant and Necrotic damage types (4e versions of Positive and Negative energy) are proof of that - they're fundamentally differnt styles of energy than the, er, fundaments in GS.

Thunder-squall

Grave Moon and Apollo Lens
> The Grave Eclipse: Which interferes with energy from "sol"
> The Apollo Lenses: Which channels the light energy from "sol"

Mourning Moon and Golden Sun
> The Mourning Moon: A giant psy energy votex
> The Golden Sun: An abundance of psy energy

Also,

This was not a Freudian slip, but me following a working theory, and exploring the ideas that come with them.  Your portrayal of my ideas are... disingenuous, to say the least.

If you're not listening to what I'm saying, and then lying about what I'm saying, what could I possibly gain from conversation with you?

Rolina

You also have to keep in mind that you have not explained this working theory to me, so anything I say that may seem disingenuous to you comes from a state of ignorance from me.  I cannot even know if I'm betraying something if I'm not even aware of its existence.  Before you start referencing a theory, you need to either post a link to said theory or explain it in full, otherwise I have no context in your meaning.

Here, we speak of light and darkness, and nowhere except there was evil energy referenced.  My assumption that you referred to darkness as evil energy came from that because that's what we were talking about.  It's why I always reference Flip Side theory and link it if able when I start discussing stuff about that, so that you know where the context is coming from.  Otherwise, any references I make to the "other side" simply seem confusing and out of place, or worse, as wholly disruptive to my own points.

Before we go any further, can I hear this idea in full so that I know what it is your referencing, so as to give a more educated analysis?

Thunder-squall

Quote from: Rolina on 02, May, 2014, 07:10:56 PM
You also have to keep in mind that you have not explained this working theory to me, so anything I say that may seem disingenuous to you comes from a state of ignorance from me.  I cannot even know if I'm betraying something if I'm not even aware of its existence.  Before you start referencing a theory, you need to either post a link to said theory or explain it in full, otherwise I have no context in your meaning.

Here, we speak of light and darkness, and nowhere except there was evil energy referenced.  My assumption that you referred to darkness as evil energy came from that because that's what we were talking about.  It's why I always reference Flip Side theory and link it if able when I start discussing stuff about that, so that you know where the context is coming from.  Otherwise, any references I make to the "other side" simply seem confusing and out of place, or worse, as wholly disruptive to my own points.

Before we go any further, can I hear this idea in full so that I know what it is your referencing, so as to give a more educated analysis?

I think that's pretty weak.  I discussed my working theory right before the part where I said "At least that's my working theory."

And if you're claiming ignorance, then you're saying you started attacking and arguing before you knew what was even talked about? As if on auto-pilot?  Yes, of course you did.

When people engage in conversation, they should come out knowing more. Not less.  This is the difference between discussion and debate.

But "when in Rome," right?  I'll get you your debate.

Red Dingo

Quote from: Rolina on 29, April, 2014, 11:06:50 PM
Psychic
Energy

Psynergy.

As for what I believe Dark Adepts to be... Well, I hope you like reading.

The Aspect System, Part 1 - Fundaments
The Aspect System, Part 2 - Aspects
The Aspect System, Part 3 - Alignments

Though parts of it may make mentions about not being Golden Sun exactly, everything is taken straight from Golden Sun save the alignment system (part 3).  The alignment system is my own thing.  To me, a Dark Adept is someone who is either of the Dusk, Nadir, or Eclipse affinities.  You cannot literally wield darkness, though.  Haures and Charon are Venus elemental, and all of the Chaos Chimera's "dark abilities" were elemental in nature.

Well thought out and sound theory that explains how some Adepts of the same Element have different forms of Psynergy such as Jenna being able to heal with Mars while Garret is only able to destroy. It doesn't necessarily rule out the existence of Adepts who can manipulate the fundaments with Psynergy in a similar vein as the traditional elements though. Another caveat I must add is the presumption that metal has no elemental affinity. Going by classical alchemical theory, all matter is composed of at least one of the four elements. Metal is no exception and given one of the Venus Djinn is called Steel, the logical conclusion is that metal is primarily an Aspect of Venus. Other more complex entities, i.e. living organisms, are composed of a combination of the four elements, possibly in accordance to proportion and structure. Alchemy is the movement of elements leading to the change in the structure and distribution of a material body. Case and point: by shifting out Mars and rearranging the proportion and shape of Venus and Mercury, a living human body can be transmuted into a tree.

Thus interaction between the elements and the fundaments would probably be a bit more complex than a 4x3 chart.

Luna_blade

Quote from: Red Dingo on 02, August, 2014, 04:20:32 PM
Well thought out and sound theory that explains how some Adepts of the same Element have different forms of Psynergy such as Jenna being able to heal with Mars while Garret is only able to destroy. It doesn't necessarily rule out the existence of Adepts who can manipulate the fundaments with Psynergy in a similar vein as the traditional elements though. Another caveat I must add is the presumption that metal has no elemental affinity. Going by classical alchemical theory, all matter is composed of at least one of the four elements. Metal is no exception and given one of the Venus Djinn is called Steel, the logical conclusion is that metal is primarily an Aspect of Venus. Other more complex entities, i.e. living organisms, are composed of a combination of the four elements, possibly in accordance to proportion and structure. Alchemy is the movement of elements leading to the change in the structure and distribution of a material body. Case and point: by shifting out Mars and rearranging the proportion and shape of Venus and Mercury, a living human body can be transmuted into a tree.
I can quiet agree to this. That's probably how it works. I wonder then if the persons 'actual' psynergy effect is affected by genetics...
Welcome to the forums BTW!
Quote from: Red Dingo on 02, August, 2014, 04:20:32 PM
Thus interaction between the elements and the fundaments would probably be a bit more complex than a 4x3 chart.
I agree. BUT it is alot of work, and really unnecessary when you get the concept from the 4x3 chart.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Rolina

@Dingo:  Actually, aspect theory has nothing to do with destruction and healing, and only handles the form the elements take and what ailments they can use (ex:  Lightning spells shouldn't inflict poison, but wind spells could totally do it).  Healing is completely independant of aspect - Garet could be able to do it, but it's not how he's built.  What you're looking for is class role.  Garet is a Defender, while Jenna is a Jack of Trades.  These roles are what lend them those skills.  After all, all Garet has to do is change classes to heal - aspect ain't got nothing to do with it.

Also, healing and recovery are handled differently.  Healing and Damage are considered Creation and Destruction, and are associated with the "Pure aspects".  Because the pure aspects just plain earth, wind, water, and fire, they also apply to all other aspects as well.  As such, both damage and healing are available to all adepts, no matter what, as long as the class can use it.  Recovery, on the other hand, would be spells like Cure Poison, Break, Drain, and Revive.  These are associated with Sol, but are actually available to all adepts.  Even I could use revival if my secondary was Supporter (it's not - I'm a Striker/Controller).  Only ailments are affected by fundament, and that's just because they're aspect locked.

Class and psynergy is more tied to the adept as a person.  If you look at Team Isaac's classes, their spells actually fit their personalities.  Isaac is a bit of a Lawful Good Paladin-y type, and his class is basically an offensive take on the paladin, healing and revival and all.  Garet's slow witted but loyal to a fault.  He works well as a defender, though he needs a counter-type spell to really take advantage of that.  Mia's profession in and of itself is that of a healer, and she does show that she cares about others.  Her supporter style class shows that.  Ivan's arguably the most tactical of the group, as he comes up with quite a few ideas.  His nice selection of supports showcases this.

Basically, your element is determined by two things - genetics and location.  Your race is determined strictly by genetics.  Your fundament could be any number of things, it's not really tied to anything.  And your spells?  Apart from the basics, which we all must learn, your spells are all up to you.  How you think they're best done.  After all, you're the one who trained them and learned them.  You're the one who built yourself up.  You aren't a Squire because your father was, you're a squire because you wanted to be one.  You have a ton of freedom with your class - it's basically a reflection of you.

@Metal:  Metal is stone that is forged by fire, cooled by water, and tested by air.  It is a non-elemental aspect (because non-elemental spells should be a thing too).  Raw light and Raw darkness are also non-elemental, with the Solar and Lunar affinities respectively (because duh).  Also, the steel djinn is a pun.  You're "stealing" the enemy's HP.  It doesn't actually have any steel in the animation - hell, it's a freaking KISS in Dark Dawn.

Wolf

Adepts that lean toward the dark side of the psynergy scale.

Dark psynergy; "Shadow Shield" is probably the only known dark psynergy ability used in the game.  ("Punish" could possibly be one.)  The appearance and effect of shadow shield suggest that it is dark influenced psynergy instead of a completely new type of psynergy.  This also suggest that dark adepts are simply dark influenced adepts, though the method they used to obtain their imbalance is unknown.  It could be similar to the method used by the pioneer light adepts from Dark Dawn.