Golden Sun Hacking Community
January 17, 2018, 01:19:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monsters and Darkness  (Read 9880 times)
Sword Knight
Mordhaumeister

The Many sings to us.

Novice Member

Coins: 0

I am: Playing the Harmonica

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 01:24:07 AM »

Two knights and a blade? This topic is getting shred to pieces! (no offense just joking) Happy

Anyway, do we even know for sure if the skeletons are reanimated or even aware (I guess aware meant sentient?)?

My guess is that the skeletons are more a sort of mindless zombies.
If they have the ability to flee and use techniques (which they do, IIRC) that would mean they're aware. They don't attack mindlessly.

hmmm. Just a guess here, but the psyenergy power reanimated the skeletons/corpses? Or maybe monsters exist due to multiple causes and not just one, which might explain the large variety of them
Psynergy can also mutate humans just as it does to lesser creatures (monkeys, rats, bears), the Final Boss of GS1, and what the Wise One did to Isaac's parents are proof of this. So the skeletons are either aware undead or the living turned into animated (and still aware)corpses.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 01:33:53 AM by Sword Knight » Logged

I am accustomed to pay men back in their own coin.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 04:29:36 AM »

And none of these are Darkness-specific.  It's not darkness in and of itself that turns something into a monster.  Rather, it seems instead to have an empowering effect akin to something like evolution.

There's a reason my go-to answer for anyone debating GS who's only played DD is "Go play the originals".  A lot of these things are already explained and showcased.  I'm not just dismissing theories and ripping someone apart.  You really need to have played all three games to understand a lot of these things.

View Profile WWW
Sword Knight
Mordhaumeister

The Many sings to us.

Novice Member

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 05:28:49 AM »

And none of these are Darkness-specific.  It's not darkness in and of itself that turns something into a monster.  Rather, it seems instead to have an empowering effect akin to something like evolution.
What's even stranger is the fact that monsters never attack each other, one could explain that away via "video game logic", but it could be that monsters usually have a human-centric diet. Or maybe the psynergy of their surroundings grants them sustenance, along with evolving them, so they could just be very territorial. That would explain why gnomes and bears coexist in the cold that surrounds Imil, as opposed to attacking each other; they recognize one another as being non-threats. The same way crabs and lobsters generally do.
Granted, the bears are mostly just normal bears, but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 05:31:54 AM by Sword Knight » Logged

View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 05:34:54 AM »

If they have the ability to flee and use techniques (which they do, IIRC) that would mean they're aware. They don't attack mindlessly.
Yeah, that's right.
Psynergy can also mutate humans just as it does to lesser creatures (monkeys, rats, bears), the Final Boss of GS1, and what the Wise One did to Isaac's parents are proof of this. So the skeletons are either aware undead or the living turned into animated (and still aware)corpses.
I agree on that Psynergy can mutate creatures, even humans.

Quote from: Rolina
It's not darkness in and of itself that turns something into a monster.  Rather, it seems instead to have an empowering effect akin to something like evolution.
Agreed.

Quote from: Sword Knight
What's even stranger is the fact that monsters never attack each other, one could explain that away via "video game logic", but it could be that monsters usually have a human-centric diet. Or maybe the psynergy of their surroundings grants them sustenance, along with evolving them, so they could just be very territorial. That would explain why gnomes and bears coexist in the cold that surrounds Imil, as opposed to attacking each other; they recognize one another as being non-threats. The same way crabs and lobsters generally do.
Granted, the bears are mostly just normal bears, but you get the idea.
Also true I guess.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 11:24:15 PM »

Well, it should be assumed that they do attack one another - they just see humans as a greater threat.  Which makes sense.

I mean, sure, you could just wrap it together with summons destroying the world for 250 damage as "typical jrpg bullshit", but at least with monsters we can spin it.  Summons... well, I've always hated how JRPGs do them.  I think FFX and FFXII got it right with them being actual legit summons.

View Profile WWW
Sword Knight
Mordhaumeister

The Many sings to us.

Novice Member

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »

Well, it should be assumed that they do attack one another - they just see humans as a greater threat.  Which makes sense.

I mean, sure, you could just wrap it together with summons destroying the world for 250 damage as "typical jrpg bullshit", but at least with monsters we can spin it.  Summons... well, I've always hated how JRPGs do them.  I think FFX and FFXII got it right with them being actual legit summons.
Really? I thought FFIV and VI did it best, they were actual gods from another realm you were summoning into your realm. Golden Sun's summons are definitely the worst of any JRPG in terms of in-universe explanation and lore. As in there is none. >.>

View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2014, 05:50:55 PM »

Really? I thought FFIV and VI did it best, they were actual gods from another realm you were summoning into your realm. Golden Sun's summons are definitely the worst of any JRPG in terms of in-universe explanation and lore. As in there is none. >.>
Oh. I thought the way GS did it was pretty normal... Gives us a lot of lore to make for the fangame!

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2014, 11:58:06 PM »

In FFX and XII, summons didn't just show up and act like any other spell - they actually fought as allied units.  That's the kind of summon I'd love to see.  Imagine if when you summoned a being in GS, it occupied a "back row" slot behind the summoner and fought as a guest, the way Isaac and Garet did in DD.  That's the kind of summon I want to see.

View Profile WWW
Sword Knight
Mordhaumeister

The Many sings to us.

Novice Member

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 12:58:52 AM »

Imagine if when you summoned a being in GS, it occupied a "back row" slot behind the summoner and fought as a guest, the way Isaac and Garet did in DD.  That's the kind of summon I want to see.
That would be something of a problem though. Imagine Meteor fighting your foes like it was a party member. It would run up. hit them, and run back. XD

View Profile
JamietheFlameUser
Diamond Pokémon
Mars Clan

Does this look like the face of mercy?

Prodigy

I am: Poke poke poke poke... I can't stop it...

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »

What's the constellation that Meteor was fired from in Dark Dawn, though? Mr. big man himself from that constellation could come down and fight, and his regular attack could be that he throws a meteorite at the target. You'd have to change the name of the summon too, of course, but it would still be similar enough.

Catastrophe would basically be Judgment with the option to Mega Evolve, though...

Also freakin' Iris though. Tractor Beam! Tractor Beam! Tractor Beam! MEGIDDO! Tractor Beam! Aurora Field!

:P

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

Spoiler for epic mindscrew:
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 12:21:41 AM »

I just figure to outright replace meteor with something else.  I've always been in favor of that.  I've tended towards Vulcan, personally.

View Profile WWW

I am: reading.

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 06:57:16 AM »

The monsters in the areas affected by the Grave Eclipse are imbalanced versions of the monsters that already exist.  (Think of a yin yang with light and dark being represented.)  The monsters in the eclipse are consumed by darkness giving them enhanced power, but making them extremely susceptible to light and making them more aggressive or restless than usual.

Neutral Note: Using monster line logic, the eclipse monsters are given different names.  This could mean that they are recognized as new monsters despite being upgraded versions of existing monsters.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »

@Wolf:  Yeah, that's pretty much where my evolution angle comes from.

View Profile WWW
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 08:44:56 PM
Fox: I must say... life can be complicated..... when you have question(s) (via email) ... and it seems like they sort of get ignored. :D ; Fun, (And sometimes, a person may respond, and completely not answer the question.... so like... 3-person conversation.) Hahahaha!!
January 15, 2018, 07:26:16 PM
Fox: (path) 1 text=(address) char=(address) free=(address) ; << Well, closer to this... but yeah... even if I do choose to have defaults in the code, I could still use this method for overrides.
January 15, 2018, 07:24:28 PM
Fox: So like (path) 0 text=(address) char=(address) len=(number) ; (path) 1 free=(address) ; Or something. But that's just a quick example.
January 15, 2018, 06:59:14 PM
Fox: Hopefully. I was wanting to make it so you could put in the addresses/etc. as one of the arguments in the path. Hm?
January 15, 2018, 03:37:07 PM
KyleRunner: Nice! I hope you'll add compatibility with others games (GS1, Mario Golf and Tennis) soon.
January 14, 2018, 11:40:09 PM
Fox: Okay. Posted (in Downloads section) an initial cutdown version for now, for my text compressor. Basically to separate the code from my Editor for anyone who wants to mess with it. It only supports GS2, because I still didn't add the addresses/etc. for the other games.
January 14, 2018, 05:01:00 PM
Fox: Okay! Going to need to think how I want it to work. Initial thoughts is maybe have a number of arguments in the filepath thing. And have a number of shortcuts (files) to be used as examples. Assuming there are no problems.
January 14, 2018, 10:38:24 AM
KyleRunner: Well... I'm used to editing text ina a text editor, so... yes! Thanks in advance!
January 13, 2018, 11:38:43 PM
Fox: (Text editor = Text Document like notepad.)
January 13, 2018, 11:38:21 PM
Fox: Would you prefer during the text editing in a text editor? (Like what gstoolkit lets you do?) I could probably make a separate tool or something to compress it.
January 13, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
KyleRunner: Ok. Once I finish my Lost Age translation, I'll try a Mario Golf one. Thanks. (But I'll need help).
January 13, 2018, 10:03:17 PM
Fox: If you want to make it "permanent" (part of a hack), then you'd edit code in the ROM that writes to this location of the IDs you'd want to change. (You can find these locations by using a breakpoint debugger like SDL-H or no$gba.)
January 13, 2018, 10:00:11 PM
Fox: Reload/switch = Recommended to be done through Debug mode/warp menu, ofcourse... since doors seem to appear as if they were disabled? ; 03001238:01 and B+Start to get to warp menu.
January 13, 2018, 09:55:39 PM
Fox: @Kyle Runner = It might be, but you'd have to use the correct addresses for Mario Golf, rather than for GS2 as I have it right now. ; @raijinken = Yes. 02000454 = ID of leader. (Change this and reload/switch room you are in, enjoy.)
January 13, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
raijinken: Hey guys, is it possible to somehow change the lead character on the map? Was wondering. I remember there was a cheat to use Jenna, but what if I wanted Isaac, or Piers?
January 13, 2018, 02:10:03 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, Fox *
January 13, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, is your text editor compatible with Mario Golf (GBA)?
January 11, 2018, 08:33:13 PM
Fox: But if it isn't an oversight, I still can't imagine it being that useful.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
Fox: part, ofcourse.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:15 PM
Fox: 0200274C = Hmm... Stuff happens here when you use Cyclone around bushes. (These cause tile replacements, and setting event 0 to those tiles.) - And I guess this kept here so it can be scanned after battle. (To re-update the map.) So here is my fun thought (assuming if it is even possible, or even convenient if so.) ... Are there any events from other maps that could be disabled do to using Cyclone on bushes + Retreat glitch? I'll need to do some testing to make sure this isn't an oversight on my

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise