News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

How big is Weyard?

Started by Thunder-squall, 04, May, 2014, 04:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder-squall

"Not as big as the earth." That's how big it is.

(1)  Test:  Estimate the size of any geographical structure on the world map.  Use that to create a "scale," and use that scale to estimate the size of Weyard.  The estimate people get may vary wildly, but it won't approach the surface area of earth.

(2) The continents of Weyard do resemble those on earth, as do the biomes, and as do some of the cultures. Does that mean that Weyard is as big as the earth?

The short answer is no, but we'll discuss it if we need to.

Rolina

What's the point of this thread if all you'll do is dismiss us?  There's no opportunity to debate here - you've already told us what you see as the answer.  You've made it obvious you'll diss, deny, and dismiss.  If you want to encourage discussion, try to not be so heavy handed about what things are or are not.  Instead, state what your opinion is on the subject, and encourage open debates.  But shutting down discussion is not the way to do this.

We do not exist to stroke your ego.  We do not exist only to validate your ideas and opinions.

Thunder-squall

Yeah, totally no opportunity to debate.  It's not like you can, I dunno, write words or stuff.

Quote from: Rolina on 04, May, 2014, 04:32:56 PM

[That the surfaces of Weyard and the Earth are roughly the same size are shown by] the very clear analogues between North America and Hesperia, between Morgall and Mongolia, between Tolbi and Rome - observations that have been established for over a decade now - to the greater part of the fandom, whom have been with the games since GS1, this is like calling the Earth a flat world.  That by saying it can't possibly be that big, you're denying what's right in front of you.

That there are analogies does not indicate that the places are the same size.

Consider "It's a Small World After All."  

Or chibis.  

Or Mini-Me.

I don't think there's more to your argument than that, is there?

You know what?  To make things easier, just start a topic in the Temple of Kraden saying "Hey, doesn't everyone agree that Weyard just as big as the earth?"  Then link me to the thread so I can see what all ye ole veterans say.  That's easy enough, right?

Or if you think that people who played G1 (and who "use the franchise as a whole") see something I wouldn't from just looking at the maps, perhaps find a path of area on the map, estimate how long it took players to cross it, then consider walking speed to get an estimate of distance.  Then use that to estimate the size of the map.  If you do that, then you'll have proof that even a hard head like me couldn't argue against.

---

Actually, are there any indications of the number of days over which the plot of Dark Dawn might transpire?  Or GS1 or GS2 if that's your flavor.

Luna_blade

Well we really can't know for sure how big Weyard is. We can only guess.

But I got a possible size in the attachment. And that would be Weyard radius, not the size of any continent.
Why this size? It would take 200 days to walk (walking at 5 km/h) if you walk 12 hours a day. And I thought that is realistic.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Misery

I agree - we don't know the size of Weyard. Chances are, the game designers don't know either.

I suspect they imagined it to be approximately the same size as Earth, based on the likenesses of the various locations to regions on Earth.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

*Only a few posts here, and I don't notice much drama, so I guess it's okay to post.*

If we just completely ignore the facts of our real life earth, I wouldn't think the size should matter much?

However, with the poles being frozen like our *real life world*, it does make it look like those are the ends of the world regardless of size.
Just as those who view this smaller than our earth, others may view it as much larger. (In theory, not saying anyone does, though.)
It's as though you can travel a lot faster on the world map than in towns, so it's not exactly proportional. Even then, the town icons might not be their exact sizes on the world map, either.

So pretty much, my question is: How does size matter?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Thunder-squall

So all four of you are in agreement that Weyard is probably as big as the earth, or at the very least, it doesn't strike you as being an unreasonable point of view?

Excellent, so Rolina has, within our sample size, been proven correct.  Correct?  

The reason I'm not swayed by the argument that the range of biomes on Weyard resemble the ranges we see on Earth is because they're impacted by different things.  Earth is impacted by it's orbital position around the sun and its atmosphere and ecology, whereas Weyard seems almost exclusively driven by various alchemy contraptions, which seem to be working against (and not in accordance with ) the natural laws of the inverse, should Weyard be in a location impacted by natural laws as we understand them.

Basically, if Weyard's geography is *artificially* formed and held together by alchemy, as are its biomes and ecosystems, then it makes more sense that the place is smaller, not larger, from an energy efficiency standpoint.  It would simply be a waste of energy to power something as large of the earth using artificial means (which alchemy is).

There's also the notion that if a major source of energy that governed the climate of Weyard was on its surface, (not far, far away the way the sun is to us) then an energy source strong enough to reach the extremities of a flat world (which had the same top-side surface area as the earth )  would destroy anything near it.  What was a one time episode of destruction around Mt Aleph would have been a permanent state of affairs.

I also don't see why the 'likeness' of stuff in Weyard to our real world are arguments that they exist at similar scales.  In geometry, I think the sign people would use isn't "=" but that one with the squiggly line over it.  "=~" or something?  Again, I mention chibis, an Mini Me.

But if one wants to consider what we do know about Weyard - that it is flat, and has continents and locations which resemble the earth - then what that tells me is that the creators started with the idea "what if old myths were actually true?  How would that world exist and evolve?  And what are good stories we can tell in that world?". What does it tell you?

While I await your answers, I'll posit that back when people thought the world was flat, they also thought it was much smaller than it turned out to be.  And if so Weyard was created using the assumption that the world was flat, why isn't natural to assume similar assumptions of that era concerning the size of the world?  That it was much smaller?

GM Note:  None of this.

Kain

Squall.  I already posted in the c-box but I guess I'm making it official here too.  No more baiting and fighting each other.  I'm letting it go for now but if it continues, you're gonna have a bad time.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quoteit doesn't strike you as being an unreasonable point of view?
My thoughts: Size is relative. I would say more, but Kain posted...

In conclusion, the difference in size between Weyard and our world might not have any effect in the Community project, so I guess there's not much to say on this.

@Kain: I'm thinking we need a Debates section in the Community Project section. What do you think? (Since we already have one in the Community forums.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Kain

Finally, a voice of reason.  While I am hesitant to even think of adding such a place, it would be a central hub for all of this nonsense going on.

Atrius isn't around to really give his say on it so for now I would say just use our current debate section in General Discussion and I'll keep an eye on that section.
You misspelled retard...oh the irony!