News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun Decor (Minecraft 1.7 Mod)

Started by Majora, 09, May, 2014, 04:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Majora

Golden Sun
The Minecraft Decor Mod (1.7)

DOWNLOAD
(by clicking this link, you promise you'll make a backup of your world before loading up the mod)
[spoiler]Version 1.0.0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6RDTwb4OndTRFlBTnpRSEx3UVk/view[/spoiler]

To install, extract the contents of the .RAR file provided in the above link, and place the resulting folder into your 'mods' folder.
Forge is required to run this mod.

Creator's comments...
Version 1.0.0: "It's rudimentary - the lamp object doesn't quite yet let off any light, the rail object lacks a corner texture, the Mythril Bag is nowhere to be found; weapons-wise, only Swords and Light Blades have been implemented so far, but it's functional.
Adds over two hundred and fifty new blocks, items, food articles, plants, flower vases, ladders, and weapons into the game (so many new blocks that it's impossible to justifiably showcase them all together in two or three screenshots).
No major problems that I'm aware of.
I recommend using Forge Profile '10.12.0.1034' when running this mod."

Had this little mod going as a side project for awhile on a server myself and a few friends use.
The mod is mainly intended to be used for creative world-building, as it adds a good amount if not most textures from Golden Sun into Minecraft.
If sprucing up your world is what you're after, you'll get along with this mod famously.

SCREENSHOTS

[spoiler]

Kalay House (Kalay tiles, Tolbi Brick)

Kalay House Interior (Blue Stripe Wallpaper, Cabin Wood, Counter Wood + Counter Mat, Suhalla Brick, Vault Wallpaper)

(Contigo Design Brick, Peach Block, Sky Blue Wallpaper)

Gerudo Shop (Cabin Wood, Gerudo Block, various weapons & items)

Sewer (Forest Temple Tiles, Thatched Grating)

Storage Area (Lon Lon Milk Crates, Golden Sun Crates, Storage Blocks, Barricade Crates)
[/spoiler]

The mod goes great with Custom NPC mods, such as Noppes' Custom NPCs, which allows custom user-created quests, in-game dialog, essentially everything anyone will ever need.

FEATURES

The vines and desert rock groove objects act as functional ladders.

Each block acts in the manner you'd imagine it would - sand acts the same as regular in-game sand, the wood materials (such as Tret's Tree Wood) have the hardness and step sound effects of regular in-game wood.

The Psynergy Blocks, seen in the center toward the upper region of the first image from the top of this page, act as pseudo redstone blocks, and emit redstone signals when placed.
They also emit a low amount of light, around the same level of light emitted by a redstone torch.
They can be mined using diamond equipment, and can be broken down into Psynergy Stones at a crafting table, which offer beneficial potion effects when consumed (which can also be reversed back into a Psynergy Block by placing a Psynergy Stone into a furnace).

Subtle block features are in place as well.
For example, objects such as the Skull Block are affected by gravity in the same way sand and gravel are in vanilla Minecraft.
Makes for quite a horrific effect; imagine yourself in a mining situation, only to find yourself covered in skulls falling from the ceiling.
It's the small things like these in my opinion that, when added up, give a mod much needed character and grace - that is what the Golden Sun Decor mod generally brings to the game.

You can see the Gaia Blade on display in the image below.
It's a monster, deals about +18 damage against any non-player character. For reference, the player's normal health level without armor is 20.
All weapons' special maneuvers can be used by right-clicking with the weapon equipped. Some maneuvers provide benefits in combat, such as the Storm Brand, which has a 50% chance of causing lightning to strike your target, while others are purely aesthetic.

Items such as Vials and Herbs act in the same way they do in the series, healing any damage accumulated by the player.

Important items, such as the Mars Star and the soon-to-be-implemented Mythril Bag, have the same in-game descriptions as the series' descriptions.

CRAFTING RECIPES

As the mod is mainly intended to be used for creative world building, most objects can only be accessed from the Golden Sun Decor mod's creative tab. However, some objects can also be created at a crafting bench, and even fewer objects can only be accessed through crafting.
For the sake of convenience, the few crafting recipes the mod adds to the game are kept simple, and are constructed in a fairly logical manner.
Here's a list of the crafting recipes:

Blood Water

Purple Water

Short Sword

Note that the water icon in the crafting recipes for the varied water color blocks doesn't reflect the water's actual color.

PROBLEMS?

If you encounter any problems, post a crash report here so I can take a look at it.
Should be 99.8% stable, would be surprised if it caused any issues for anyone other than Item ID conflicts with other mods, which is easily fixed.

Finally, be cautious - find a clear area that you don't particularly care for (perhaps an opponent's base of operations) before using the Tisiphone Edge's special attack.

COMING SOON...

Green = Done
Various bug fixes; Maces; Staffs; more Items; the legendary Wheat Sword; transparent blocks such as glass, steel bars, and grates; sephia blocks; Djinn NPCs
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Luna_blade

Nice! I'll give it a try when you've uploaded it.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Majora

charon the ferryman

That is slick as hell. I love it. Always wanted to spice up my minecraft but couldn't figure out what texturepack would be best. I like your psynergy ideas too. When you're ready, are you uploading a video?

zman9000

Its funny that you post this as there is already a golden sun mod that has new items AND has a texture blocks from golden sun.

it was actually from a topic i made. someone went and made it. not sure if its still updated but check it out if you can.
here's the topic
http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=1467.msg29204#msg29204
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Majora

Sure, can do a video for it soon.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I noticed how few mods there are for specific games, which is disappointing in that you can really only ever find resource packs that make existing blocks in the game appear similar to other game textures. Wanted to integrate textures from other games into a Minecraft setting without replacing existing vanilla Minecraft blocks, which is rather limiting in that you can only add as many new textures as there are block objects currently in the game.

Avoiding that entirely by going as in-depth as possible, adding as many textures from Golden Sun (and the Legend Of Zelda, note the Temple of Time tiles in the first image) as possible, with all the items and their effects. Taking time to give each item and weapon some secondary effects when used. For example, cursed weapons, such as the Muramasa, are extraordinarily powerful, but inflicts some damage to the player equipping it; the Storm Brand causes lightning to strike in random frequency in the direction you swing, (accidentally took out a village with that one) and so on.

@zman, yeah, I first noticed that one a few weeks ago. I believe there was another Golden Sun-related Minecraft page somewhere here as well.
Coincidentally already had this mod here going for awhile by the time I saw it, I hope it doesn't seem as if I'm taking their ideas or anything, purely coincidental.

Had started this mod off as a test to see how easily custom blocks could be added to a server I own awhile ago, gradually started to add some textures from a few Zelda games and eventually Golden Sun, which I think compliments Minecraft's vibrant and layered vibe fairly well. Thought I may as well showcase it and eventually release it here, as it is a pretty well-done mod, I think.

If the other mods can also be used with 1.7.2, perhaps they could all be used together, bet they'd compliment each other nicely.

zman9000

o i wasn't trying to make you feel bad or anything. i was just pointing out a mot already exists.
however...
QuoteIf the other mods can also be used with 1.7.2, perhaps they could all be used together, bet they'd compliment each other nicely.
this might not work as well since it already has most blocks you have, and they are craftable from normal blocks while leaving normal blocks as they are.

the way i see it is, if the mod is still fully updated that's the way to go... however if its not, i'd go all for your texture pack. i'd like to recreate the world of golden sun however there are problems such as rolling logs and puzzles, the mod was the best chance at being able to recreate it in minecraft. however if i had no option i'd go for a texture pack, and i'd figure something out for the problems... maybe using command blocks.

either way i'm not saying to stop... ... what am i trying to say really...

j-just make your thing and i may or may not use it... baka
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Rolina

Multiple mods can exist just fine figure - especially if they focus on different approaches to it.  Just adding in items is kind of minor enough, but I could see one acting more like those RPG mods out there.

Majora

Ah yeah, I was thinking of the puzzle elements, already have things like bridges and logs in place.
Not exactly :VenusSet:'adept':VenusSet: with coding mods myself - adding objects and audio to the game is about as far as I'll get for now, best to avoid things like rolling logs, especially with the whole square thing Minecraft models have going.

Can imagine it would be a bit of a challenge to give the impression of things like rolling cylinder-esque objects using cube-based models, (I suppose something along the lines of still object-to-moving object texture-replacement could do it, give the rolling log texture a few wind-shaped patterns to visualize rolling movement) which isn't exactly a high priority for this particular mod, at least. Taking time to focus on replicating all the textures and items from the game instead, can think about puzzle elements later.

@Rolina, the Fulminous Witch
You've read my mind, ma'am, trying for more of an RPG-with-limitations vibe with this one, as opposed to a general 'Golden Sun mod'.
Designed the weapons and items in the mod to fit with the Custom NPC mod on my server, which has a good amount of RPG elements going there.
Obviously can't add to someone else's existing mod, so instead, I'm simply having this mod compliment a Noppes' Custom NPCs environment, which allows for much more expanded use of the items this mod adds.
Would honestly consider use of the Custom NPCs mod a necessity when running this Golden Sun Decor mod, as it's such an extraordinarily well-done program.
Allows for things like item quests, kill quests, factions, faction reputation building, and so on. When combined with the mod I've worked on here, it essentially gives you everything you need to create a totally Golden Sun-esque world. Can't get enough of that mod.

Rolina

That's gonna be tricky.  If you wanna do a proper translation of GS into Minecraft, that'll require a bit of an overhaul - GS is a high-stat game, as compared to minecraft's low-stat game.  It'd also render the mod essentially incompatable with other mods, as the items they make would be doing pituful damage to the GS-ified mobs...

But Minecraft is set up to allow for multiple modsets now.  Meaning that you can simply go to servers that use the GS modset for your GS adventures, and other servers for a traditional minecraft adventure.

It's quite the undertaking, and if you can find a way to pull it off - psynergy, djinn, summons and all - then you'll be much loved by both communities.

zman9000

Quotean imagine it would be a bit of a challenge to give the impression of things like rolling cylinder-esque objects using cube-based models
i was thinking of a way you could do it with command blocks

it would teleport you while deleting the log under you and replacing it with water, and would keep going to a certain distance. you could have them all linked so they keep track of each other and could have logs hit and stop on each other. but even with command blocks this would take a massive amount of them to do even a small log puzzle.

i'm sure seth bling could figure something out... but i don't exactly have him on speed dial... lol
so a mod was my hope. but a texture pack is a fair descent chunk of what i need.

Majora

Oh yeah, tried that method out a few times. It isn't as visually-appealing as it could be.
If you've ever seen Movecraft in action, teleporting to simulate motion isn't very pleasant, can look rather jarring.

The Archimedes' Ships mod has a smoother method of motion for its vehicles, could look into utilizing that in some way.

Have this Golden Sun mod going on the server I'm running currently, have other mods going as well. You'd be surprised at how well it works with other mods, such as the Alien Versus Predator mod. Can imagine going up against powerful, fast-moving aliens with a variety of automatic and explosive weapons would make Golden Sun battles seem fairly well-balanced, those things don't hesitate at all.

I'll look into Djinn and summons later on, see what can be done with them.

charon the ferryman

Just throwing a wacky idea out there, but why not have djinn be mobs, that when you touch it, you pick it up as an item (set) and it gives you certain status effects while you have it in your inventory (they stack as you get more, effects that modify your resistance and strength), and then combine them on the crafting table to create the summons (which I guess would work like elemental TNT - It does more damage to certain blocks than others depending on the element values). It's a little out there but I'm just throwing ideas around. You should also be able to use the single djinni item to turn them back into a mob (like a chicken egg but with a 100% success rate).

To offset their power they should be very rare and hard to capture.

Majora

Can do that, would be pretty cool.
No model could ever possibly be as complex as the one I'm working on for Midna: http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/midna-imp-custom-npc-model/

I'll see what can be done.

Majora

Added a version 1.0.0 download, has no major problems that I'm aware of.

Majora

How's Flint looking so far?

Rolina

That's not Flint, silly.  That's the lovechild between Flint and a minecraft Squid. :3

Majora

Classic.
I'll get something going for Gust the Jupiter Djinn just for you.

charon the ferryman

I just remembered something a few nights ago, you should totally do the wheat sword!

Just have the craft be like a regular sword, but use wheat instead of stone/wood/iron ect. And when you attack you should have little yellow particles appear when you attack if possible to represent the howl unleash.

On flint, I think his ears are too big. His side spikes should be lower too, but he looks like he's getting there.

Majora

That's hilarious, never heard about this before
Implementing it now. Deals +250 damage, spawns yellow particles when crafted and when its special right-click maneuver is used