News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Master Formula List

Started by Salanewt, 25, May, 2014, 01:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

Howdy! So uh, yeah. Here's a topic in which we can organize the games' formulas and discuss them a bit. This first post will be separated into two sections; confirmed through code and unconfirmed through code (such formulas may have unknown variables that are as of yet undocumented). Organization will be a little lackluster until we have a decent proportion of the game's formulas in here.

Vanilla

Agility/Turn Order

The following section explains how PC turns are calculated.

Turn Order:
Randomized agility has priority;
PCs have priority over enemies;
Left-most slots have priority;

Agility x 0-FFFF (or ran) = RAN
LSR 14 RAN = #
Agility + #
÷ 2 for additional turns only.

So if Agility = x64 (100 decimal) and ran = xFFFF, then you multiply them;
RAN = 63FF9C
LSR 14 in a programmer's calculator;
# = 6
Add 6 to 100 Agility
= 106
If it's not the first turn (as in second, third, etc. turns);
106 ÷ 2 = 53

It boils down to:

(Agility + Agility*(0~6%))*(Multi-turn penalty)
Multi-turn penalty = 1 if it's a character's first action that turn, and 0.5 otherwise.

Maximum agility values to ensure desired turn order.
PC1: 999
PC2: 940 (941 if right of PC1)
PC3: 884 (885 if right of PC2)
PC4: 832 (833 if right of PC3)

Enemies, on the other hand, are much simpler.

For 4 turns, agility decrements by 1/6th each turn.
For 3 turns, by 1/4th.
For 2 turns, by 1/2.

Turns are normally capped at 4, manually adding more to an enemy's RAM will result in every turn after the first one having only half of its agility value.

0811D0A8 = Check for 4 turns, branch if not equal - Turn 2: 5/6 agility ; Turn 3: 4/6 agility ; Turn 4: 1/2 agility
0811D0D0 = Check for 3 turns, branch if not equal - Turn 2: 3/4 agility ; Turn 3: 1/2 agility
0811D0EE = Check for 2 turns, branch if not equal - Turn 2: 1/2 agility

Ailment Success

(((((((Attacker's elemental level - Defender's elemental level) - Floor(Defender's luck / 2)) * 3) + effect's base chance + (vulnerabity's 25)) * multi_arg) / 100)  >= rnd())

Where "rnd()" is a random number from 0-99 (x00 to x63), and "multi_arg" (previously known as "unk_arg") is for diminishing success rates based on the amount of targets the effect can be used on:
First (Primary Target) = 100%
Second (Next to the target) = 60%
Third = 30%
Fourth = 30%
Fifth = 30%
Sixth = 30%

Notes:
x52 = "82 - May force target out of battle" is always 0% when class is not NPC. (0% for player characters?)

These generate three random numbers... This would make, for example, a chance of 50% (one) to be 87.5% (three), I think.
x43 = "67 - Inflicts Seal"
x50 = "80 - Inflicts Death Curse"
x55 = "85 - May inflict Stun"[/spoiler]

Base success rates (assigned in the function at 080B0514):

[spoiler=Base Rates in GS2 (with examples)]080B0660 - 70% (12/13 - Def debuffs)
080B0664 - 75% (16/17 - eRes debuffs)
080B0668 - 30% (22 - Charm)
080B066C - 45% (24 - Sleep)
080B0670 - 55% (18/19 - Poison/Venom, 25 - Seal)
080B0674 - 25% (26 - Haunt)
080B0678 - 20% (27 - Instant Death)
080B067C - 65% (20 - Delusion, HP Drain)
080B0680 - 35% (21 - Confuse, 34 - HP to 1)
080B0684 - Flat 60% (56 - Revive to 50%)
080B0688 - Flat 90% (57 - Revive to 80%)
080B068C - Flat 70% (73 - Revive to 60%)
080B0690 - 60% (8/9 - Attack debuffs, 28 - Curse, 32 - PP Drain, 80 - Curse)
080B0694 - 50% (35 - May ignore 50% of Def)
080B0698 - 40% (23 - Stun, 85 - Stun)
080B069C - Flat 100% (Def buffs, eRes buffs, Regen, Reflect, Break... seems to be the default for anything that either shouldn't fail or has its success rate calculated differently)[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Base Rates in GS1 (with examples)]08079E58 - 70% (12/13 - Def debuffs)
08079E5C - 75% (16/17 - eRes debuffs)
08079E60 - 30% (22 - Charm)
08079E64 - 40% (23 - Stun, 85 - Stun)
08079E68 - 45% (24 - Sleep)
08079E6C - 55% (18/19 - Poison/Venom, 25 - Seal)
08079E70 - 25% (26 - Haunt)
08079E74 - 20% (27 - Instant Death)
08079E78 - 65% (20 - Delusion, HP Drain)
08079E7C - 35% (21 - Confuse, 34 - HP to 1)
08079E80 - 50% (35 - May ignore 50% of Def)
08079E84 - Flat 60% (56 - Revive to 50%)
08079E88- Flat 90% (57 - Revive to 80%)
08079E8C - 60% (8/9 - Attack debuffs, 28 - Curse, 32 - PP Drain, 80 - Curse)
08079E90 - Flat 100%[/spoiler]

Ailment Recovery

Note: 5 or fewer turns must remain for this chance to occur.

(((Luck * 3) - (Turns * 5) + base_chance) * 655) >= rand()

Random number is 16-bit (Up to xFFFF)
If chance was 100% and you multiplied by 655, you'd get xFFDC.  Evidently, 656 would make x10040.

Base chances of recovering from an ailment, etc:

[spoiler=Base Chances]Attack = 30%
Defense = 20%
Resistance = 20%
Delusion = 30%
Confuse = 60%
Charm = 70%
Stun = 20%
Sleep = 50%
Psy-seal = 30%[/spoiler]

Healing

This one is pretty simple.

If current HP > 0:
Restored HP = ((Base Value*ePower)/100) + (0~3)
If restored HP > max HP, overwrite with Max HP. Else add restored HP to current.

The 0~3 is basically calculated like so:
(0~3) = 3 AND rand()
Where rand() is a 16-bit value up to xFFFF. Change the 3 to change the amount that can be added to the final result.

I don't think it uses RNG when calculating the amount to restore outside of battle.

Regenerate/Coatlicue

Another easy one that's similar to the Healing formula, minus how the amount to heal is calculated:

If Duration > 0:
((Duration + 1)*Max HP))/10

So basically, having about 5 turns before the effect ends will net you 60% regeneration for that first turn. 3 turns will be 40%, 8 turns would be 90%, and so forth. You will be healed before the duration counter goes down at the end of the round.

Poison/Venom

This one is pretty similar to Regenerate, in that it reads the corresponding ailment value from the unit's RAM before making the calculations.

Located at 0812593C, it skips the calculation if Poison = 0; otherwise:
(Poison * Max HP)/10

A Poison value of 1 (regular poison) will deal about 10% of your Max HP in damage and a Poison value of 2 (venom) will deal about 20%. As an FYI, you can technically go higher than 2 despite there not being a graphic for anything higher than that (or even an effect for it). I should also mention that this does not actually apply in the field; that seems to be coded strictly for Poison values 1 and 2, and those are fixed at 5% for regular poison and 10% for venom as far as I can tell.

However, the field formula works a little differently. It only works if your Poison value is either 1 or 2, and each value uses a slightly different calculation. What I like about them is how they only deal roughly half damage when not in battle... Well anyway, here they are.

Poison: (Max HP + 10) / 20
Venom: (Max HP + 5) / 10

Summon ePow Boosts
((Tier x Tier) + Tier) x 5

"Tier" is a RAM value ranging from 1-4, depending on how many djinn of a single element are used in a summon. This formula doesn't account for differences when you follow a weaker summon with a stronger one, and the text that displays will only give you the difference (or, if the boost would put you above the 200 ePower cap, the difference between what it normally would be and the cap).

The boosts are normally 10-30-60-100 for each tier.

The formula reads more like this in the code:
((Tier x Tier) + Tier) = Tier2
(Tier2 x 4) + Tier2

So yeah! I'll work on scouring other topics for fomulas in a bit; please post any that you can think of, I would greatly appreciate it!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

Can you try this in "I don't need a degree in Assembly programming to understand this" version?

For example, that Agility formula confuses the hell out of me.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

leaf

I thought it was pretty clear since he said this afterward:
QuoteIt boils down to:

Agility + (Agility x 0~6%) [÷ 2]
Although I'd have notated it as:

(Agility + Agility*(0~6%))*(Multi-turn penalty)
Multi-turn penalty = 1 if it's a character's first action that turn, and 0.5 otherwise.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

Jamie: No problem! The bolded parts are the formulas done in normal math, and the rest is the more technical stuff (or additional information, etc.).

Leaf: Done and done, thanks for the notation; it's clearer than the one I had before.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

Yeah, I somehow missed the bolded text.

Is the multi-action penalty really that simple? Personally, I'm under the impression that it stacks. That is, your third action is at *0.5 *0.5, and your fourth action is at *0.5 *0.5 *0.5. The reason I say this is that with one particular boss I made, in my many tests I frequently found that it would take one action before the entire party, and another action before Sheba (who was the party's slowest member due to her class). But it wouldn't take both of its other actions before Sheba got to act. Just one of them.

[spoiler=Off-topic: Sheba is the slowest member?]
If you're wondering why Sheba was the slowest character, classes in this hack were rather heavily modded to emulate standard RPG/Final Fantasy archetypes instead of elemental Psynergy. Sheba's default class, the Magician, focused on damage-dealing spells of all elements. Attack power versus standard foes was good-to-mediocre, but was made up for by her ability to fairly consistently target a foe's weak point for heavy damage. The Magician has incredibly high HP and PP and decent Luck, but low Attack and Agility and abysmal Defense. She could tank base damage spells all day, but a standard physical attack from most foes would flatten her in 3 hits. Contrast Piers the Fencer, who would routinely take 1 damage from most foes' standard physical attacks, but would go down in 3 hits from any half-decent base-damage ability.[/spoiler]

Also, weird things happen if you use the "extra turn next round" ability effect on a target multiple times. At 2 uses, the target treats their second action the same as their first, or something like that. For example, if I give an enemy 0 turns by default and another enemy targets it once with a Kite effect, it makes one action at 0.5x Agility. If another enemy targets it twice with a Kite effect, it makes one action at what seems to be either 1x Agility or 0.75x Agility.

Salanewt

That's what I was hoping when I initially started looking into it, but I can confirm 100% that it doesn't stack for PCs. In the battle ram section, there's enough room for 20 turns per round from all units. PC turns are input first, and then are rearranged depending on agility values when enemy turns are calculated. Agility is recalculated by reassigning an action for the turn, but consecutive turns are always roughly half of the range of the first turn's agility. You can probably guess that those later turns would scramble around then...

However, looking again against an enemy with 3+ turns, it looks like enemy agility is not randomized with 0-6%. It also divides at a slightly different rate and does stack (I never looked into 3+ turn enemies before, sorry). For them, it looks like the first consecutive turn is multiplied by about 75% (or 0.75), docking off about 25% of the previous value. I'll take another look at the code and see if I can find exactly how it's calculated. Might even make a patch that does this for both PCs and enemies if I can do so without rewriting the entire function.

An enemy with 300 agility will have the following three turns:
225 (x.75)
150 (x.50)

Not sure what the values are for 4+ turns, but I'm going to take another look at the code and check for enemy turns this time.

Thanks for pointing that out Jamie!

Aile~♥

I know a player character cannot have more than 1 extra turn, either through equipment mods or the "Extra turn next round" effect. This I was already aware of. At the time, I had assumed that enemies followed the same Agility rules as the player, and so by "your" I was referring to an enemy. When I talked about "stacking" the Agility mod, I was referring to the multi-turn penalty stacking, not to stacking the "Extra turn next round" effect.

But even for player characters, stacking the "Extra turn next round" effect does strange things to your action priority. Targeting a player character twice in one round with that effect seems to cause both of their actions to be made at their full Agility stat. The first action always goes before the second action, however, even if your Agility roll for the second action is higher than for the first. Although, now that I think about it it's entirely possible that rolling higher Agility on the second action than the first pushes the priority of the first action up, to the point where you can act first in the turn even if you are slower than other characters.

Enemies are locked to a maximum of four turns. Even an "Extra turn next round" effect cannot override that limit, and an enemy can only gain 1 extra turn per round through that effect regardless of how many times they are targeted by it. But just as I said for player characters, the "Extra turn next round" effect does strange things to action priority when applied multiple times to a single target.

Salanewt

Yeah, it's weird. My best guess is that it has something to do with ability and item effects not working 100% properly when it comes to granting extra turns (the ability effect being a buff that doesn't have stack). You can simply overwrite a PC's turn value in RAM and it'll work the way I've described, which I assume is how it is supposed to work. You can also do this in an enemy's RAM, so it isn't 100% locked to four turns; the downside is that the agility division stuff doesn't seem to work properly for 5+ turns (does the same thing as the PC agility formula without the randomization). You have to keep in mind, however, that you still only get a maximum of 20 turns total. PCs also get buggy if you give them too many turns...

So after testing with a Druj enemy, it seems that the agility ratings for consecutive turns are actually based on how many turns an enemy has; the x.75 multiplier doesn't apply with four turns. Likewise, the /2 thing also works for enemies if they only have two turns (which just reminded me that I knew the 0~6% thing didn't apply to enemies and forgot). This also happens to every turn after #2 if an enemy has more than four turns for some reason. So uh, I'll check the code to see if I can find the exact enemy turn formula.

Aile~♥

I suspect the enforced cap on turn counts is probably deliberate. Either that, or it was a bug that they never bothered to fix because it never, under any circumstances possible in-game, would actually need fixing.

It actually almost makes sense for having extra turns above the cap to behave the way it does, honestly. I would like to know what the exact mechanics are that result in the strange mess of action priority I've just described, though.

Maximum 20 turns total, huh? Okay. In that case, I'll remember not to give 4 turns each to enemies that come in groups of 5...

Salanewt

Well, as it turns out, the function that reads and does the calculations for enemy turn order is entirely different from the one that calculates PC turns (and that is a part of the same function that deals with attack/psynergy/defend/etc. action commands in battle).

I've noticed so far that this function grabs both the agility and turn values. It kind of looks like this is one of the functions that Teawater took a brief glimpse at, but there isn't much documented here. It also looks like it calculates an enemy's turns differently depending on how many turns an enemy has, not using the amount they have. There's a branch for "if /= 4 turns," which goes to a "if /= 3" and so forth. I'll work on documenting this and figuring out exactly how it works.

Yep! I can't say if the RAM right after the battle stuff is used for anything or not either, so 20 is the effective cap right now. PCs also tend to bug out if you go much higher than 4-5 turns, but it's not like you can really do that anyway.

Edit: Looks like Teawater is taking a look. All I'll say for now is that, before calculating the new values, it does a series of checks that somewhat resemble the following:

If Total Turns /= 4, branch;
If Current Turn = 0 (first one), branch;
If Current Turn /= 1 (second), branch;
If Total Turns /=3, branch;

And so forth. Unless he wants me to explain what he's finding, then I will let him finish studying them and post the info himself.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

A Master Formula List? Sounds like a plan!

Do you plan on putting the addresses of code locations in the list for future reference? (Then again, the only people who are likely to use it is you and me... but still, someone else might one day join us in our studies. Unlikely, but you never know?)

Quoteand post the info himself.
For 4 turns, agility decrements by 1/6th each turn.
For 3 turns, by 1/4th.
For 2 turns, by 1/2th...

Quote from: from documentation - edits from me and Salanewt
Executes at the start of a round.
0811CFD0 = Start
0811D0A2 = Write Enemy's Slot ID to battle RAM
0811D0A4 = Write Enemy Agility to battle RAM
0811D0A6 = Write Enemy's current turn (0-3)
0811D0A8 = Check for 4 turns, branch if not equal - Turn 2: 5/6 agility ; Turn 3: 4/6 agility ; Turn 4: 1/2 agility
0811D0D0 = Check for 3 turns, branch if not equal - Turn 2: 3/4 agility ; Turn 3: 1/2 agility
0811D0EE = Check for 2 turns, branch if not equal - Turn 2: 1/2 agility
0811D126 = Call Enemy AI
0811D15E = End

Edit: @5+ turns... it seems like the first turn is 100%  agility, and remaining turns are 50% agility? (non-stackable) ; That is assuming that I looked at the code right, ofcourse? The way it was coded makes me think that 5+ turns wasn't supposed to be a feature in GS. (The same 1/2 agility code is used where necessary.)

EDIT: /= looks like division, you could try != or <>, though.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Terrific, thanks for the info Teawater; I have added what is necessary to the first post. I also plan on including more technical info later, since it would be nice to have an area where those experienced with assembly hacking can just find all of the game's formulas.

On that note, can you think of any more formulas that I can add to this topic? I remember researching the HP Healing one back when I made the HP% formula, so I'll try finding the .png/.gif I stored it on. It's pretty much the same as what has been documented by countless others fortunately.

Rolina

You found Ailment success?!  MOTHER FREAKING +1!  NICE JOB!

Salanewt

Haha! Um, thanks for the compliment I guess. You know that Teawater is the one who found the formula a while back, right?

Rolina

No, I didn't.  I'd been looking for that sucker for quite some time now, and the times I had visited in the past must have been before then.

Salanewt

I think it might have actually been a little bit before your return in... was it November? You can catch up on the discussion here if you'd like, but it's more or less just us doing some practice calculations and basic balancing discussion.

But anyway. Unless Teawater wants to post it later, I'll see if I can search through that topic where they were discussing critical hit rate stuff and add it to the first post at some point. Can you think of any other formulas that should be added and/or researched? I know that the wiki(s) have a bunch, but I'd rather not search them and give myself a migraine just yet.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Rolina did know about it at one point, she just forgot about it.

Remember this post? http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2067.msg37426#msg37426
Rolina posted before /and/ after it. On the same day, too.

Critical Hit Rate stuff was discussed in one of the DCrisis sections, http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=2448.0

EDIT: What do you think about moving Joao's topics out of the DCrisis section?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

leaf

They probably shouldn't have been in dc to begin with, so yes. Move them out of there and into the general gs hacking forum.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

jjppof

Let me see if I understood this agility formula for PCs:

First check:
Calculates speed for each char

speed = {AGI + [(AGI * rand(0, 65535))>>20]}*k

k = 1, if PCs first move in turn,
k = 0.5, if PCs second or more move in turn

Second Check:

Check the max speeds and correct it id needed:
PC1: 999
PC2: 940
PC3: 884
PC4: 832

Third check:

If a certain PCs speed is the same of a enemy, PC goes first.

Fourth check:

The most left char has priority.

leaf

Ignore the second check. That's the "practical use" of the formula. Sala was just saying what the highest speeds each char could have if you wanted a consistent turn order, without the rng ever causing a PC of lower agility to move before a PC of higher agility.
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---