News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Hello all ^^

Started by Formina, 08, June, 2014, 09:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Formina

Slow on the map? I can always increase the speed of him. ^^ I haven't compared the speed against the original game just yet. And yeah, layering problem needs to be fixed. XD I've just been busy with the battle system at the moment.

Ooh, you found the hidden feature! XD Was that you who posted that patch? It was very helpful in writing the rotational code and being able to compare it with the original, thank you! ^^ I will take that feature out later on, it was mainly meant to test if the rotation system was working. :3

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@Slow: Maybe? Can't tell at the moment, but that was my first impression.

@Patch: If you are talking about The Battle Camera Rotation Patch that's in the Downloads section, then yes. I also did The Jump Patch.

The Battle Camera Rotation Patch - I didn't get any assistance for, if I remember correctly.
The Jump Patch - There were some details by Atrius that he once gave to Salanewt, and then that got to me... and that's how I made it...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Majora

This absolutely rules, looks great. Always wondered how Golden Sun would do in Flash.
You're the man, my friend

Luna_blade

Reminds me of the flash golden sun port Atrius made (don't know the topic however)
He basically imported GS in flash. Unfortunately he never did something with it as far as I know.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

zman9000

i noticed the music doesn't loop that well.
however i see that as an easy fix, since you can just cut the song somewhere in the middle where it matches up and have it loop there, instead of ending for a few seconds then restarting.

just an idea on something i noticed.
all in all i think its good. one of the best things I've seen done not using the actual game.
has potential. though i'm not sure how some people on the site feel about flash.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Wolf

Welcome to Golden Sun Hacking Community.  :MercuryDjinni:  :JupiterDjinni:  :MarsDjinni:  :VenusDjinni:

That's a neat demo.

Formina

Hey, thanks everyone! :heart:

I chose Flash because it seems to run pretty well in most common browsers and I didn't really want people to download an .exe as people would be far less inclined to try it out. Right now the current priority is to make the Battle System look & feel like the original games (as close as possible), but I will probably be modifying some of the mechanics and damage formulas to try and create a more balanced experience (If you have ideas, I would love to hear them). I want the main focus to be PvP battles (Like the linked battle Arena) so I want there to be cool and interesting strategies, but it'd be cool to have some interesting Boss battles as well for those who want a different sort of challenge too.

PvE battles are going to be easier to implement though, so i'll be getting those done first. Just finishing up Psynergy and then polishing up the small things - the little diamond cursor thing, the little hand cursor when you choose Psynergy, the layering issues and so on. The music is only temporary - I may remove it for the meantime as it adds a lot to the file size of the file. :happy:

Once I get all of that working, I want to add in some Multiplayer support (which will be difficult, so this part may take some time), so you can walk around in Town, chat and battle with each other! Then I can start adding in new features based on what people want. ^^

Luna_blade

Quote from: Formina on 11, June, 2014, 06:30:10 AM
I chose Flash because it seems to run pretty well in most common browsers and I didn't really want people to download an .exe as people would be far less inclined to try it out.
Really? I guess I'm an exception, because I don't care if I have to download something.
Right now the current priority is to make the Battle System look & feel like the original games (as close as possible), but I will probably be modifying some of the mechanics and damage formulas to try and create a more balanced experience (If you have ideas, I would love to hear them).
Well, you could just make most enemies harder. I always thought GS is just a bit too easy...
Quote from: Formina on 11, June, 2014, 06:30:10 AMI want the main focus to be PvP battles (Like the linked battle Arena) so I want there to be cool and interesting strategies, but it'd be cool to have some interesting Boss battles as well for those who want a different sort of challenge too.
About PvP battles: Multiple More Characters could be a thing. Otherwise you would end up having a lot of the same parties battle each other.
About boss battles: Perhaps a new boss that uses status effects like Dullahan.
PvE battles are going to be easier to implement though, so i'll be getting those done first. Just finishing up Psynergy and then polishing up the small things - the little diamond cursor thing, the little hand cursor when you choose Psynergy, the layering issues and so on. The music is only temporary - I may remove it for the meantime as it adds a lot to the file size of the file. :happy:
Oh that's something I can rip I guess. I have the redcrystal already if you need it.
Once I get all of that working, I want to add in some Multiplayer support (which will be difficult, so this part may take some time), so you can walk around in Town, chat and battle with each other! Then I can start adding in new features based on what people want. ^^
A multiplayer thing sounds really nice. Good luck working on it! :happy:
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Miva

I've been helping out a little, getting sprite sheets set up and stuff, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it ends up :D

Formina

Yes, Miva has been helping out and been generally wonderful! :heart: :happy:

If you have the Red Crystal already ripped, that would be wonderful, it'll save me lots of time! There's also a targeting crystal thing that appears when you target a character which I need as well! Should I create a separate topic for this so we can collate discussion and ideas there?

When you say more characters, do you mean like, being able to choose more than one / two of one type of Adept? Or do you mean parties of 5+ people? I also want to give everyone at least 2 moves per turn, as it may make Defend a bit more attractive to use (50% reduction against incoming damage vs doubling your heal / damage output). Thoughts?

Luna_blade

Quote from: Formina on 11, June, 2014, 08:08:21 AM
If you have the Red Crystal already ripped, that would be wonderful, it'll save me lots of time! There's also a targeting crystal thing that appears when you target a character which I need as well! Should I create a separate topic for this so we can collate discussion and ideas there?
Yeah sure, I'll rip the target thingy than. You can find the crystal and and the hand in the attachments.
Unfortunatly they don't appear on spriters-resource yet for some kind of reason.

Also yes. Create a new topic I guess in The Community>Creative Works.
Quote from: Formina on 11, June, 2014, 08:08:21 AM
When you say more characters, do you mean like, being able to choose more than one / two of one type of Adept? Or do you mean parties of 5+ people? I also want to give everyone at least 2 moves per turn, as it may make Defend a bit more attractive to use (50% reduction against incoming damage vs doubling your heal / damage output). Thoughts?
Well just more choice. So instead of the 8 from the GS games, maybe 16 or something like that?
About the double turn: You really need to rebalance the system in that case. If you leave it like this, my signature will surely apply for your game and I'm not sure if you want that...
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Formina

Okie dokie. New topic created. Lets discuss there! Thank you all again for your warm welcome! Also I can't seem to see your attachement. Can you try posting in the other topic please? Thank you btw!  :heart: