News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Golden Sun: Adept Battle Arena

Started by Formina, 11, June, 2014, 10:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna_blade

Quote from: Rolina on 21, June, 2014, 11:33:37 AM
ZXAS is a control scheme.

Arrow Keys are the directional keys, while the command buttons are Z, X, A, and S.  Some games add C and D as well, but they're still considered ZXAS (because Zee-Zus is catchy).  I like to control direction with my left hand, and commands with my right.  It feels natural for both console and PC gaming.  But most Flash games, as well as pretty much every RPG Maker game out there uses ZXAS as its standard, which is the reverse of that.  After 27 years of gaming a certain way, it just feels kinda... backwards.  Like I'm being forced to use Left-handed controls for some reason.
Right. I never saw it that way.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Rolina

Which is why I asked for an option, rather than making it mandatory.  There's plenty of people that are fine with it, after all.  Heck, if they can throw in controller support as well, that'd be epic.  I mean, with 360, XBO, PS4, and Steam Controllers all being viable and common PC gaming options, I think it'd be a natrual fit, especially considering it'd be a more natural fit for the game.

Formina

Hi all!

I have gone ahead and added in an option to change your controls based on your feedback! :happy: You can now find it under the systems menu. The control scheme is saved every time so you should be able to set up the controls the way you like and have them stay like that from now on! ^^

Unfortunately, I do not have a game pad so I can't test to see if it works with them or not, though it would be awesome to have support for it. :sad:

What's new this week:

- Combat Log in battles now scrolls smoothly like in the original game
- You can view your party status from outside the battle (Still WIP)
- Adept stats are now saved between battles. See how many consecutive battles you can last before your party falls!
- Felix & friends now sometimes cast Psynergy to make battles more challenging :)
- You can now change key-bindings, which are saved between sessions. Set it up the way you like!
- (Minor Bug Fix): Psynergy Animations now display the entire length of the spell

Linky: https://db.tt/R4Jfs9wQ

Let me know if there are any bugs, particularly with the control settings. Feedback is always welcomed, thanks for checking it out! :heart:

Lord Wolfram

Hmm sometimes when I attack Jenna stays in sprite hurt.
Others change sprite after my attack back to normal but Jenna don't.

Luna_blade

Quote from: Saturos on 22, June, 2014, 10:47:01 AM
Hmm sometimes when I attack Jenna stays in sprite hurt.
Others change sprite after my attack back to normal but Jenna don't.
How about this one: When enemies cast psyenergy, it looks like they use it on theirselfs.
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

leaf

The control editing seems to work fine, although it uses whatever controls were set before editing them while you're in the menu. It's a little confusing when you reassign "start" and forget which key it was originally. Of course, it would cause problems if it used the changed commands *as* you're editing them, since it would be even more confusing when changing directionals. I'd recommend just adding a note to the text at the bottom that says what the defaults are, so it would say "by pressing start (default 'enter')" and "by pressing select (default 'backspace')."
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Formina

Thanks for the bug reports and feedback! :happy:

Just a quick update:

- Fixed Adepts being stuck in their hurt animation
- Felix and friends now don't cast Psynergy on themselves like dorks
- The controls menu will now tell you which buttons to press instead of START and SELECT.
- Battle AI is now smarter, so the fight should be more challenging now. (they will attempt to cast heals intelligently and cast more often)

Linkie: https://db.tt/R4Jfs9wQ

What's coming next?
- Implement Basic Equipment
- Implement More Psynergy (Up to level 8 is the goal for now)
- Leveling up + Local account saving (This will be temporary until the game becomes multiplayer)

As always, feedback is loved and welcomed! :heart:

Also, let me know if you still have the key bindings you set up as I'm not sure they persist through new versions, hopefully they will stay the same though!

Luna_blade

Quote from: Formina on 23, June, 2014, 09:58:47 AM
Thanks for the bug reports and feedback! :happy:

Just a quick update:
(quote shortened)
Nice! I really like were this is going.
I just barely won 1 battle, which I think is a good thing.
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Lord Wolfram

One thing.
I can't die hooray! :happy:
I am immortal! Hahahaha.
Try to beat me!
Wait a minute What?
:um:
:Saturos:
All the members are fallen but game goes on...
Is this a bug or upcoming feature for gameover?
Isn't finished that thing?
Let me help you tell me where and I'll try.

Edit:Hmm...You can make party total HP place and then use this javascript for "game over" thing.

var HP = 1;
if (HP < 1){
     console.log(Game Over!)
}

Tell me if anything is wrong.

Formina

Hi all! :happy:

Thanks Saturos, I have fixed that error now :)

Been a while since I posted, I have been lurking a bit though. I have been making some wonderful progress so far so I thought I would share the latest build of my project!

What's changed since last time?

- Equipment System! You can now equip various weapons and armour to increase your statistics during battle. Adept sprites will reflect what type of weapon is equipped.
- Djinn System! You can trade, set and standby Djinn on your Adepts. They work exactly like the original and all of the original classes are implemented, too! No Djinn in battles just yet though.
- Defend command implemented. Defending reduces all damage taken by 66% for that turn.
- You can full party heal outside of battles by selecting the Psynergy Icon on the menu.
- Red crystal for combat log now works properly
- Winning or losing battles now displays a message and exits appropriately
- Lots of new Psynergy and Items added (*Most* of the classes have Psynergy, some do not though - still implementing some)
- AI is significantly better but should be pretty easy to beat in this build.

Balance Changes (Differences from the original):
- Added a new stat: Elemental Damage. This increases the base damage of your spells before relative power is taken into account. The wooden stick increases your elemental damage by 3.
- Each Djinn increases your elemental power and resistance by +10, up from +5. Right now this is currently bugged and takes into account your bonus of +5 elemental levels for your primary element so you actually have quite a bit more elemental power as a result.
- Experimenting with various weapons increasing / decreasing other stats apart from attack. (For example, the long sword increases ATK but decreases DEF)
- Defend decreases damage by 66%, up from 50%.

What's coming next?

Just polishing up the menus (adding some Adept sprites to the Djinn, Status and Item menus once I get them from Miva, displaying Psynergy available when changing class, etc.), and then i'll be adding in some Djinn attacks during battles (Like Flint / Sap). Also adding in support for Psynergy such as Impact, Guard and Break.

Then it's time to start getting it looking like more of a game that you can progress through - exp, levelling up, account saving, and probably some sort of arena where you battle progressively harder fights, winning gold, items and Djinn!

Clicky to play this build, hope you enjoy! https://db.tt/R4Jfs9wQ

leaf

Quote- Each Djinn increases your elemental power and resistance by +10, up from +5. Right now this is currently bugged and takes into account your bonus of +5 elemental levels for your primary element so you actually have quite a bit more elemental power as a result.
Ehhh, this sounds a little broken. Too easy to max your power with 9 djinn. You're going to make elemental power boosting equipment useless if you go this route, and the elemental power boost from summons, too.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Salanewt

QuoteRight now this is currently bugged and takes into account your bonus of +5 elemental levels for your primary element so you actually have quite a bit more elemental power as a result.

I'm pretty sure the normal games actually do this and it isn't considered a bug; this is what makes abilities from your primary element stronger than from the others, which is also what plays a role in making base class spells stronger than spells from the other classes (to compensate for the lack of versatility that dual and tri-elemental classes offer). In fact, the game makes it so a djinni adds an elemental level, and each level adds the +5 bonus to the other two elemental stats, to make this possible.

That being said, your game is starting to shape up quite nicely now! I'm not really sure what the deal is with the general "elemental damage" stat while you're still keeping the more unique element-specific stats, but I'm sure it will turn out okay if you're able to handle it well. All in all, nice work!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

If you're trying to make offensive spellcasting a worthwhile investment, wouldn't just adopting a new system based on GS be better?  It's what I did with the Casting and Warding stats.  Did well in creating parity between what physical and caster adepts are capable of.  Otherwise, all it's doing is serving to boost attack and healing power - it still won't really be worth it to cast spells.

Formina

QuoteEhhh, this sounds a little broken. Too easy to max your power with 9 djinn. You're going to make elemental power boosting equipment useless if you go this route, and the elemental power boost from summons, too.
Right now the current plan is to remove the relative power / resist cap of 200 so hitting the cap won't be an issue. If +10/+10 ends up being too powerful, I can always revert to +5/+5.

QuoteI'm pretty sure the normal games actually do this and it isn't considered a bug; this is what makes abilities from your primary element stronger than from the others, which is also what plays a role in making base class spells stronger than spells from the other classes (to compensate for the lack of versatility that dual and tri-elemental classes offer). In fact, the game makes it so a djinni adds an elemental level, and each level adds the +5 bonus to the other two elemental stats, to make this possible.

Oh - sorry you are correct. I worded it badly, what my intentions were that each Djinni increased by +10/+10, but the bonus you got from your primary element of 5 elemental levels would only be +5/+5. So you would have an extra +45/+45 at 9 Djinn.

The elemental damage stat is supposed to provide an alternative way for offensive casters to scale and a way to differentiate from physical based Adepts. The idea is that +X (Elemental Damage) would be a bigger boost than +% (Elemental Power) when the base damage of Psynergy is pretty low, while +% would be better in in the higher levels.

QuoteIf you're trying to make offensive spellcasting a worthwhile investment, wouldn't just adopting a new system based on GS be better?  It's what I did with the Casting and Warding stats.  Did well in creating parity between what physical and caster adepts are capable of.  Otherwise, all it's doing is serving to boost attack and healing power - it still won't really be worth it to cast spells.

This sounds interesting, would you be able to elaborate on this system? I'm not familiar with it. One of the goals is definitely trying to make offensive spell casting much more worthwhile so a caster team is viable.

Thank you everyone for the feedback, keep it coming! :heart:

Rolina

Eh, I've been working on that system as long as I've been here - Leaf was actually a big contribute to the whole brainstorming process, though ultimately I think we took different paths.

I've not fully written everything down, though I do have a character creation aid in the form of a spreadsheet.  It only deals with base stat growths and base classes so far (don't yet have the stuff for weapons or djinn done yet), but it's a decent start.  If you want, I can send you an updated version of the Mk3 spreadsheet so you can look at it.

As far as the actual spells and formula tweaks are concerned, though, I have yet to write any of that down either.  It may take a while, considering I've got much less time on my hands than I used to, especially considering all the overtime I've been doing as of late.

The main issue you'll run into with my particular system is that it doesn't strictly follow GS - so any purists may actually be turned off by it.  The goal was to evolve GS' system after all, and that means quite a few things get changed or updated.  Weapons in particular get a notable change so they're not just an attack stat.

Formina

That would be awesome! :happy:

All of the formulas are up in the air right now, so I'm definitely interested in taking a look and seeing what you've done. I'd love to implement some custom classes, psynergy and items too. :happy:

Rolina

If you've got skype, it'd be much easier for me to express a lot of the things I have planned out to you.  Otherwise, it's a matter of waiting for me to find the time to write everything down.  Between us being really busy at work and my looking for a new apartment, that may take a while.

Edit:  I've added a more streamlined version of the Mk3 Character Creator to the post.  Feel free to check it out if you want.  For the more in depth stuff and formula related stuff, though, that'll need a skype call at the moment.  Mk4 will add the Weapon system and slots for Djinn stats.  Mk5 is likely where I will start going into spells, because that's a whole new level of depth to be added.  Not something that can be done simply, due to the sheer amount of variety and customization involved.  Also, holy hell the formulas and conditionals I'll have to do for spells... not looking forward to that.

Formina

Yup I do. My skype is Formiina (with a double i). ^^

Taking a look at the spreadsheet now, it looks very nice!

Luna_blade

A system that is based on GS but better? I like that.

Also the new demo is pretty sweet! No spells for double or odd classes but still pretty good.
I'm not so sure about an easier AI though, but I might just have been playing really bad.

I've also been reading about some earlier versions of the whole thing. Is there anything that remains, or did it disappear?
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"