News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Palette Swapping Main Characters

Started by Rolina, 23, June, 2014, 11:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

I was wondering if with the current editor we could somehow have a palette swap of a character for combat?  For example, let's say I wanted to use Isaac's Palette 4 for some reason.  The editor as it comes doesn't seem to want to let me change that, but would it be possible to change it anyways?

Aile~♥

I think you'd have to overwrite the original sprite with the palette-swapped version. The sprite compression for player characters doesn't let you palette-swap them when used for anything other than enemies. And even then, if you use a summon-type spell that calls that enemy, they show up with the default palette instead of the palette they're supposed to use.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Well, there are at least a few palette swapping functions for sprites from what I can tell... Downside is that I only know where one of them are, and the code that is related to PC battle sprites does not reference it at all because it is strictly used for field objects. I might look into it later, but I'm in the process of detailing some of the game's field mechanics at the moment and ironing Disco Sun's game balance.

As for what Jamie said, I'm pretty sure that's at least partially wrong; the Elder Wood spells work just fine for example, as do spells like Grand Golem and so forth. I also know that you can be a palette swapped version of pretty much any sprite when in the NPC class, although both the enemy team and the status menu are quite buggy when you're not a format-compatible sprite.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Aile~♥

What I meant is that if you give an enemy a palette-swapped player character sprite (like say, give the Living Armor enemy a blue Jenna sprite) and then cast a spell that summons that kind of enemy (in this case, the Living Armor Psynergy), they'll have the sprite's default colours when summoned. (So the Living Armor spell would just summon a large, oversized Jenna to attack the foe.)
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Darn.  Was wanting to do an experiment with four of the same party member, using palette swaps to differentiate them.  Well, that sucks.