News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Making text editor.

Started by Lord Wolfram, 25, June, 2014, 01:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Wolfram

There is a game Summon night 3 and The project is dead.
However there is still a hope and I want to ask how to make text editor so the game could be translated.
Please need some advice.

Luna_blade

Quote from: Saturos on 25, June, 2014, 01:34:18 AM
There is a game Summon night 3
You mean like a game night in your neighbourhood?
and The project is dead.
The Revival Project dead? How? Why?
However there is still a hope and I want to ask how to make text editor so the game could be translated.
Please need some advice.
I can't help you with that... but If you see KyleRunner, ask him, because he already did a fantranslation.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Lord Wolfram

Summon Night Craft Sword Monogatari
This is the game.
any advice in making translation?

Luna_blade

Quote from: Saturos on 25, June, 2014, 02:52:22 AM
This is the game.
Oh now I get it!  :idea: :happy: You want to translate that game yourself!
Well two things:
:NeutralStar:The GS Editor will very probably not be able to be a tool in translation. Why?
Because it's a totally different game.
:NeutralStar:For advice, go to Romhacking (http://www.romhacking.net/) and ask some people there. Or perhaps the people who originally started translating, ask them.

BTW, there seem to be some translations that "are good enough to play the game". So were you looking for a translation or really wanted to do it yourself?

BTWBTW, the game you're are talkin about looks an afwul lot like the Mana series... (Trailer for the GBA game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnE3e13z1LA)
Have you played that? It might be worth to check it out.
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Lord Wolfram

I see but how to make an editor because those tools which are made are confusing.
And I can't get them.
BTW did you meant :NeutralStar: this symbol just interested what is it.

Luna_blade

Quote from: Saturos on 25, June, 2014, 12:25:05 PM
I see but how to make an editor because those tools which are made are confusing.
And I can't get them.
How to make an editor? You must know every single piece of data in a rom and it's meaning. Then you can make an editor using various programs, such as VB.NET, Gamemaker (like Atrius IIRC), Java & some others.
It's really not that easy.

I indeed meant that symbol. I guess it got lost because of all the edit I made to that post.
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Luna_blade on 25, June, 2014, 12:35:39 PM
Quote from: Saturos on 25, June, 2014, 12:25:05 PM
And I can't get them.
How to make an editor? You must know every single piece of data in a ROM and it's meaning. Then you can make an editor using various programs, such as VB.NET, Gamemaker (like Atrius IIRC), Java & some others.
It's really not that easy.

I indeed meant that symbol. I guess it got lost because of all the edit I made to that post.
Well I am looking for some advice. maybee we can Analise that room as a group so then we could find that text data and then making an editor right now I will download java so I can access javascripts and then keep studying them.

Luna_blade

Quote from: Saturos on 25, June, 2014, 02:47:48 PM
Well I am looking for some advice. maybee we can Analise that room as a group so then we could find that text data and then making an editor right now I will download java so I can access javascripts and then keep studying them.
If you're going to use Java, I guess Majora knows some of that stuff. Teawater maybe?
I can only give you advice, because I got lots of other stuff to do. Even if I would have the time to help you , I really lack the knowledge about the GBA and roms. I can do a bit with VB.NET, but reading roms is way above my amateurism.
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Rolina

Quote from: Saturos on 25, June, 2014, 02:52:22 AM
This is the game.
Oh god, that game.  Best in the series, and they didn't bother to port it.  I'm still mad about that.

Yeah, a solid translation would be nice.  We'd need a text editor like with the hacking tools to make sure we got everything though.  I can totally see why you're looking for one.

Lord Wolfram

I have access to gamemaker 8.0 so I will use it.
I think to use something from Atrius TLA editor.
Small scripts.
I will give him some credits and that way that wont hurt for anyone.
Some Advice?
BTW.Datahandler.dll for gs is made by Atrius himself or such a things can be found?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

If you want my opinion, I don't recommend GameMaker, but you can use it if you want.

Datahandler.dll was created by Atrius. It's used to do I/O loading and decompressing of data from ROM, as well as other tid-bits like managing free space, Anyway, the I/O bit is definitely useful for speed. Unfortunately, the decompression methods create files that he accesses byte by byte in the editor, which may slow things down... (See Maps Editor and Data Viewer.)

Did anyone notice this incomplete project?: https://github.com/wangds/sncsm3 (Posting a link to it since it wasn't linked in this topic.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Teawater on 01, July, 2014, 04:08:15 AM
If you want my opinion, I don't recommend GameMaker, but you can use it if you want.
Hello Tea It is good to see you are back.
Which you recommend then?
BTW.Can you assist me in this job?
Helpful hand is rely in need.

QuoteHello Tea It is good to see you are back.
Not that I was gone the entire time, since I did visit as a guest a couple times... ( Salanewt mentioned me in his earlier posts from another topic, anyway.)

QuoteWhich you recommend then?
Hard to say.

My best language at the moment is VB.NET, but I can still work with Java a little bit.

As for what I documented for sn3, it was this:

02013000 = Char data

08B704A4 = Font table??? (Indexes to chars?)
08B6D5D0 = Font table??? (If arg=-1)
08B6D624 = Font table??? (Indexes to chars?)
08B71498 = Text?
08BDA40C = Text/convo bank
094D446C = Font/char bank
094D6C88 = Font table??? (0x18 bytes/entry) Char data    (Edit: I probably should remove this line, since it's right in the middle of a table.)
09586368 = Graphic tiles for a Japanese text screen.

096B16E5 = ?
09718FFC = bank
098C8D9C = bank
09DA9302 = ?
09E2261C = bank
09FBB1F0 = Free space

And then I guess I got bored or something?

By the way, Char data means pixel data... I use the word Char beause of the Char Base thing in one of VBA's viewers... ; It's still formatted differently, though.

And before I forget ....

Happy Canada Day!
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

FrozenWrath

Yyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!

Luna_blade

Quote from: Saturos on 01, July, 2014, 02:08:35 AM
I have access to gamemaker 8.0 so I will use it.
I think to use something from Atrius TLA editor.
Small scripts.
I will give him some credits and that way that wont hurt for anyone.
Some Advice?
BTW.Datahandler.dll for gs is made by Atrius himself or such a things can be found?
I don't know where you got it, but nice!
Have you found sources or documentation on the ROM? It would be handy to get as much info as possible.
Quote from: TeawaterIf you want my opinion, I don't recommend GameMaker, but you can use it if you want.

Datahandler.dll was created by Atrius. It's used to do I/O loading and decompressing of data from ROM, as well as other tid-bits like managing free space, Anyway, the I/O bit is definitely useful for speed. Unfortunately, the decompression methods create files that he accesses byte by byte in the editor, which may slow things down... (See Maps Editor and Data Viewer.)

Did anyone notice this incomplete project?: https://github.com/wangds/sncsm3 (Posting a link to it since it wasn't linked in this topic.)
Well I didn't notice it for sure.
Also, the DataHandler.dll works for everything that can use a dll right?
I wouldn't see the need in using GM for it, especially if you know a bit about other languages already...
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Lord Wolfram

I can't get VB.NET
Dam'n!
Tell me Fox(Teawater) why not gamemaker?
Using java...How?
Can you please make data handler for me Please!

Anybody! Help me giving more some advice!

Luna_blade

Quote from: Saturos on 04, July, 2014, 01:30:17 PM
I can't get VB.NET
Dam'n!
Tell me Fox(Teawater) why not gamemaker?
Using java...How?
Can you please make data handler for me Please!

Anybody! Help me giving more some advice!
Oh yeah I forgot the real VB.NET (or visual studio) is hella overpriced.

Again, I think you should look for existing documentation.
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Some reasons why I don't like Game Maker:

-Atrius's editor has a high CPU usage, which is unnecessary.
-All of your controls have to be made from scratch. VB.Net/Java/etc. has some built-in controls that may make the process easier. (Think textbox, combo-box, numerics, etc.)
-Atrius needed to use a DLL to do I/O loading, and I think it'd be better to have a stand-alone executable if that's all you'd need a DLL for.
-Navigation in the creation program may be more of a pain.

The overpriced version of Visual Studio can be gotten for free.. if you look for the product key off site somewhere... but the latest VS does require W8, I think. so it might not be much use to you right now. You can still do Visual Basic Express, though. (Which is 100% legally free.)

@Java: You need two things... JDK and an IDE: @IDE: Either Eclipse or NetBeans if you want the popular Java IDEs.

(Although, I'm not sure if Eclipse has the JDK already built-in to it or not, but... hm...)

Happy U.S. Independence Day!

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Luna_blade

Quote from: Fox
The overpriced version of Visual Studio can be gotten for free.. if you look for the product key off site somewhere... but the latest VS does require W8, I think. so it might not be much use to you right now. You can still do Visual Basic Express, though. (Which is 100% legally free.)
Oh I'm also almost sure that the newest requires Windows 8. Maybe a 64bit windows 7 also works?
Anyway, I used VS2012 like 3 years ago for a short while. But since starting again I have used 2008, which works fine on Windows XP. I didn't know 'bout product keys yet :um:
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Lord Wolfram

Something is wrong with any version of VB.net
To the hell with it! :fury:
                          :Saturos:

@Fox. So in other words to translate that game I don't need datahandler.
Quote from: Fox on 04, July, 2014, 10:34:46 PM
Happy U.S. Independence Day!
Happy! I will calibrate with you!

I look forward to get some staff for Java then...