News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Making text editor.

Started by Lord Wolfram, 25, June, 2014, 01:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leaf

Cool. If you have a list of which scripts are grouped together, that would be really useful. If not, I'll find them eventually.

And yeah... if it's only those five files, it's missing lines. I'm not sure if the missing scene is located in a faraway location but *is* actually in there, or if it's just flat-up missing the lines.

This entire exchange is missing (happens immediately after the first battle, so it should be the scene following the 017bcb2c stuff):

[spoiler=I didn't realize just how much was missing until I started typing this asdf]
Richburn:
やった!
勝ったぞ!

Vii:
強くなったねぇ(...)
アンタのハンマーから
鍛えた魂がわってきたよ (not sure on the first kanji here, since it's so small in game)
カッコよかったぞ

Richburn:
あ(...)!
ありがとう、ヴぃーねちゃん!

???:
よくやったな、(Richburn)!

Richburn:
ロブ(...)親方!!

Rob:
お前もこれで一人前だな(...)
おめでとう(...)
(Richie)(...)

Richburn:
親方(...)?

Rob:
(...)

Richburn:
親方(...)!?
おやかたあ!! (big text)

Vii:
どういうことなんだい?
ボスタフ(...)!

White text on black background:
ヴィーねえちゃん(...)
泣いてるのか?

???:
オレが見つけた時は
もう手おくれだった(...)
これを、あんたにって(...)

あれは(...)
ロブ親方の(...)!

Vii:
そんな(...)
ロブが(...)
はぐれ召喚獣(...)

White text on red background:
ころされた(...)!

親方あ!! (big text)

Vii:
なんだい、(Richie)?

Richburn:
あ(...)
あれ(...)?

Vii:
いつまでたっても帰ってこないと
思ったら
お気に人りの場所でお昼寝とは(...)
いい気なもんだねぇ(...)

Richburn:
やっぱ、ひるねをするには
ここに限るね(...)
じゃなくて!
あの(...)これは(...)

Vii:
どうせまた、いつもみたいに
調子のいいマンガみたいな夢
みてたんだろ?
このアタシをやっつけるとかね?

Richburn:
うっわ!? すっげぇ!
なんでわかったのさ
ヴィーねえちゃん?

(...)ってーな!
なにすんだよ!

Vii:
誰がねえちゃんだよ、ダレが!?
親方って呼べって言ってるだろ?
ヴィー親方!

...and then it finally transitions into the scene in 017bd14c.

Man, I would not have typed all that had I realized just how much was missing, but it felt weird to stop partway through. I did learn some new kanji at least, so that's a plus.[/spoiler]

Anyway, you said you had to rip the files because the previous owner disappeared. Was that the main translator, or do you still have translators working on this? I mean, I could probably help on the translation end somewhat, but I'm not sure how useful I would be.

I would also like to inquire about "V.E." being used as the translation for ヴィー's name. Is it later stated in the game text that ヴィー actually is the acronym V.E. and thus stands for something, or was that just the closest thing to sounding the same in english? If it's the latter, I think Vii or Vee would be more appropriate, depending on your aesthetic sense.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Aent

The scene is in 017bd14c.txt, but it appears that it's not in the exact order as it appears in the game nor the uncompressed PSI3 segments when ripped from the game. Try scrolling down to about line 585 to get the start of the conversation taking place after you fight V.E. It's probably safe to say that other parts are a bit out of order as well so you may have to do some searching.

For instance, the やった! line is right at the start of when it shows text in the PSI3 segment. I haven't investigated the opcodes yet though.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

pablitox

Quote from: leaf on 20, July, 2014, 08:17:28 AM
Cool. If you have a list of which scripts are grouped together, that would be really useful. If not, I'll find them eventually.

And yeah... if it's only those five files, it's missing lines. I'm not sure if the missing scene is located in a faraway location but *is* actually in there, or if it's just flat-up missing the lines.

This entire exchange is missing (happens immediately after the first battle, so it should be the scene following the 017bcb2c stuff):

[spoiler=I didn't realize just how much was missing until I started typing this asdf]
Richburn:
やった!
勝ったぞ!

Vii:
強くなったねぇ(...)
アンタのハンマーから
鍛えた魂がわってきたよ (not sure on the first kanji here, since it's so small in game)
カッコよかったぞ

Richburn:
あ(...)!
ありがとう、ヴぃーねちゃん!

???:
よくやったな、(Richburn)!

Richburn:
ロブ(...)親方!!

Rob:
お前もこれで一人前だな(...)
おめでとう(...)
(Richie)(...)

Richburn:
親方(...)?

Rob:
(...)

Richburn:
親方(...)!?
おやかたあ!! (big text)

Vii:
どういうことなんだい?
ボスタフ(...)!

ヴィーねえちゃん(...)
泣いてるのか?

???:
オレが見つけた時は
もう手おくれだった(...)
これを、あんたにって(...)

あれは(...)
ロブ親方の(...)!

Vii:
そんな(...)
ロブが(...)
はぐれ召喚獣(...)

White text on red background:
ころされた(...)!

親方あ!! (big text)

Vii:
なんだい、(Richie)?

Richburn:
あ(...)
あれ(...)?

Vii:
いつまでたっても帰ってこないと
思ったら
お気に人りの場所でお昼寝とは(...)
いい気なもんだねぇ(...)

Richburn:
やっぱ、ひるねをするには
ここに限るね(...)
じゃなくて!
あの(...)これは(...)

Vii:
どうせまた、いつもみたいに
調子のいいマンガみたいな夢
みてたんだろ?
このアタシをやっつけるとかね?

Richburn:
うっわ!? すっげぇ!
なんでわかったのさ
ヴィーねえちゃん?

(...)ってーな!
なにすんだよ!

Vii:
誰がねえちゃんだよ、ダレが!?
親方って呼べって言ってるだろ?
ヴィー親方!

...and then it finally transitions into the scene in 017bd14c.

Man, I would not have typed all that had I realized just how much was missing, but it felt weird to stop partway through. I did learn some new kanji at least, so that's a plus.[/spoiler]

Anyway, you said you had to rip the files because the previous owner disappeared. Was that the main translator, or do you still have translators working on this? I mean, I could probably help on the translation end somewhat, but I'm not sure how useful I would be.

I would also like to inquire about "V.E." being used as the translation for ヴィー's name. Is it later stated in the game text that ヴィー actually is the acronym V.E. and thus stands for something, or was that just the closest thing to sounding the same in english? If it's the latter, I think Vii or Vee would be more appropriate, depending on your aesthetic sense.

That sucks, i will see what i can do, worst case qe have to look at the script again in the proje ts page. as for V.E that's the official name used at the intro scene so we just left it like that

leaf

Okay, I see now. I'll have to ctrl+f for stuff buried in the texts next time I run into this problem. I was expecting it to be at the start of a file, not more than halfway down lol

Anyway, here's the editing I've done so far. Context provided, but long sections without any edits are omitted. OTL = original translation, RTL = revised translation.

[spoiler=017bcb2c]
鍛冶師とは!
Craftknight!

武器作りの名手であると同時に 
OTL: They are craftsmen who are experts at crafting weapons and, at the same time,
RTL: An artisan expert in crafting weapons, and at the same time,

剣の達人でもある『匠』   
OTL: masters of the sword.
RTL: a master of the sword.

Explanation: The original translation switched between treating "Craftknight" as a singular and as a plural. Since it was later referred to as "a special title," I figured sticking with singular would be best. I opted to use "artisan" over "craftsman" for a couple reasons: 1) it's gender neutral, 2) it avoids repeating the word "craft" too much, and 3) I believe it captures the meaning of 『匠』 better in this context.

鍛え抜かれ研ぎすまされた   
It is a special title

心と体の持ち主にのみ与えられる
OTL: only given those who possess hearts and body
RTL: given only to those whose hearts and body

特別な称号       
OTL: that have completely forged and totally polished.
RTL: have been honed through training.

Explanation: The addition of "to" should be self-evident. The rest could be a bit more controversial. From my understanding of the original japanese, it's saying that their hearts and body have been trained and sharpened, without any reference to forging or polishing. If I'm wrong on this, please correct me.

---

本当に立派だったぞ
OTL: You're quite skilled.

Explanation: I wanted to single this line out, since while there's nothing necessarily "wrong" with it, and it doesn't interrupt the flow of text at all, it seems it could be more accurate to the original. The original text here makes no reference to skillfulness or mastery, instead saying something closer to "Truly well done" or "You've done great." I haven't changed it yet, but I thought I should bring it up.

---

ふふ(...)
Haha(...)

良いハンマーだよ
It's a great hammer.

アンタの魂がこもってる(...)
It's filled with your soul(...)

そりゃそうさ!
OTL: Exactly!
RTL: Well, of course!

そりゃそうだよ!
OTL: Well, of course!
RTL: Well, of course it is!

Explanation: On this one, I felt the flow of conversation from "It's filled with your soul..." to "Exactly!" felt... off. You wouldn't normally respond with "exactly!" when someone says something that's obvious to you; that's usually reserved for situations in which someone agrees with you, and you're surprised that they do. I think "of course!" matches the intent much better here.

---

それがアンタが鍛冶師になるための(...)
OTL: This will be your(...)
RTL: To become a Craftknight, this will be(...)

最終試験だ!
OTL: Final test in becoming a Craftknight!
RTL: Your final test!

Explanation: I think this not only preserves the suspense of the original text better, but it also will actually fit on the screen. 「最終試験だ!」 is in *large text* in game, and if you tried to fit too much on screen, it just wouldn't work.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=017bd14c]
やった!
OTL: Yay!
RTL: Alright!

勝ったぞ!
I won!

やったぁ!
OTL: Yeah!
RTL: Yay!

勝っちゃった!
I've won!

強くなったねぇ(...)
You've become strong(...)

Explanation: Okay, I'm being nitpicky, I know. Basically, given the speaking style of the characters, I feel the girl's is closer to "yay" than the boy's, and "yeah!" isn't commonly used in english in this context, at least not in my experience (usually it's used more as a "that's right!" kind of thing, whereas this is more "I did it!"). As an aside, this seems like a good chance to mention that I am firmly on the "alright" side of the "alright vs all right" debate. Something can be "alright," but that doesn't mean it's all "right."

アンタのハンマーから
I could feel you put your soul

鍛えた魂が伝わってきたよ
into your hammer.

カッコよかったぞ
You were really cool.

あ(...)!
OTL: Ah(...)!

ありがとう、ヴィーねえちゃん!
Thank you, sister!

あ(...)!
OTL: Ah(...)!

ありがとう、ヴィー姉!
Thank you, sis!

Explanation: As you can see, I haven't edited these lines yet, since I wanted to talk about it first. Anyway, I think the 「あ(...)!」 here is supposed to be a stutter, or at least that how it came across to me when I was reading it in game. In which case, it might be more accurate for that line to be translated as "Thank(...)!"

The use of "sister" and "sis" has also been bothering me, because there isn't really a good solution for it. I do appreciate that whoever originally translated this made a point of using different words in english for the different ways that the MCs refer to ヴィー, but I feel this is a case where fluency should trump accuracy, since it just doesn't read naturally like this. I haven't been making any edits to these lines yet because the last thing I want to do is mess up consistency, but it's something I'd like to come back to later. In my experience, when dealing with honorifics, it's usually best to go either completely literal (keeping the honorifics in the translation) or completely localized (trimming them anywhere that doesn't sound 100% natural in the target language). It's when they're kept somewhere in between like this that it reads awkwardly. It's a shame, too, because the multitude of different ways that people refer to each other in japanese culture can be an easy way to tell what kind of relationship they have at a glance.

よくやったな、(Ritchburn)!
You did really well, (Ritchburn)!

ロブ(...)親方!!
OTL: Master(...)Rob!!
RTL: Master(...) Master Rob!!

Explanation: This was a tough one. In japanese, it works without any repetition because 「親方」 is being used as an honorific. But in english, the equivalent would be placed before the name, which makes the same effect impossible without repetition. There wouldn't be any question had the original line been 「ロブ(...)ロブ親方!!」 instead, but alas, accuracy has to be compromised somewhere. "Master(...) Rob," "Rob(...) Master Rob," and "Master(...) Master Rob" all have their upsides and downsides. The first maintains the lack of repetition, but feels a bit informal, as if he's correcting himself by calling him just "Rob," which is definitely not the original intent. The second operates closer to how the japanese use honorifics, and allows richburn to correct himself for formality. The third tries to maintain consistency with how richburn later calls rob just 「親方」, but might be less accurate than the second. I opted for the third translation because I feel consistency is important here, but it certainly is something open for debate.

---

そんな(...)
Impossible(...)

ロブが(...)
OTL: Rob was(...)
RTL: Rob(...)

はぐれ召喚獣に(...)
A stray summon(...)

ころされた(...)!
OTL: killed him!
RTL: killed him(...)!

Explanation: In this case, trying to translate が as its own word just makes the english sound awkward. Its purpose was to mark the subject, something we can do well enough by just giving the name here. Personally, I'd have translated 「そんな(...)」 as "no way(...)," since that still shows disbelief without the implied outright rejection of "impossible(...)," but eh, I can't really complain. I left it as is for now.[/spoiler]
I still need to finish 017bd14c, but that's what I've gone through so far.

Quoteas for V.E that's the official name used at the intro scene so we just left it like that
Ah, okay then. I just haven't gotten to that part yet, I guess.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Awesome work on the transations, leaf.

Quoteand "yeah!" isn't commonly used in english in this context, at least not in my experience (usually it's used more as a "that's right!" kind of thing, whereas this is more "I did it!").
...Somehow, this had me thinking of that sound effect Mario says in Mario Kart (N64) ... "Yeah! Hahaha!"  I believe it was... (Hopefully I remembered it correctly. I also think Toad might have said "Yeah!" with laughter as well?) but yeah... "Yay!" probably works better. (And is more obvious.)

Edit: For those who don't remember, check out the sound clips:  http://themushroomkingdom.net/media/mk64/wav
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

leaf

Uh... mk64 probably isn't the best example, considering most of the voices we hear in the US release are actually the same as the JP one. Only luigi, peach, wario, and toad got new voices in the english version. Also, the "yeah!" line you're thinking of was originally this engrish, and they just kept the same script.
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---

Okay...

I guess there are not many good examples... There's a "Yeah" in the Pokemon theme song, but it doesn't imply winning at anything... ... there's also a yeah in f-yeah.... but I'd rather not use that one as an example... hm...

---

Perhaps  I can use this definition? Heheh...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/yes

interjection
7. (used as a strong expression of joy, pleasure, or approval.)

And "yeah" is an informal substitute for "yes."
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

leaf

...I get the feeling you're just trying to be contrary at this point. Let's not derail the topic over this.
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---

I was merely saying that I thought the "Yeah!" in the dialogue was probably a valid interjection... But I'm not saying that we should keep it, since I already stated "Yay!" would likely be better due to it being more obvious.

@derailment... Okay.

[/topic]

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

BlackDog61

Quote from: pablitox on 18, July, 2014, 03:48:03 PM
Is there something else that should be done with the script? I was thinking about this, as the opcodes details which character portrait should be uploaded, could that info be in the script? Next to each line I mean, that could be useful after the opcodes have been identified.

Hey guys,

I cannot answer this. The person who takes up the technical work on this, starting with either re-dumping the script with a new tool or with an update to be compatible with Richburn's tools, is the person to decide after some probing around.
I'm not yet clear on who'll be able to do this, though. Would it be you, Saturos?

Quote from: leaf on 19, July, 2014, 11:06:42 PM
I think it makes the most sense to work on editing while I play, rather than just going down the list of scripts without any context. It does mean having to find the right script for every major scene as I go, but... ah well. The scripts do seem to be roughly placed together, which is good, but it's still pretty disorganized.

As an aside, I *really* hope the script titles are the addresses in memory that they're supposed to be located at, because I have no idea how all of this is going to be reinserted if they aren't. There's 1052 script files, and while a lot of them seem to be one or two lines, that doesn't change the fact that all of them have to go in the right places.
I'm not sure of how this will be done in the end. I still have this feeling that manual or partially manual edits will be needed at some point, but let's wait and see.

Lord Wolfram

Me?
I will think of it after week.
IO had so much project's in work so I refused to do a lot...
I am taking break for week as I said to think about some staff.(See topic rosario vampire)
Then I will give you answer after the week.

pablitox

Quote from: BlackDog61 on 22, July, 2014, 05:47:31 PM
Quote from: pablitox on 18, July, 2014, 03:48:03 PM
Is there something else that should be done with the script? I was thinking about this, as the opcodes details which character portrait should be uploaded, could that info be in the script? Next to each line I mean, that could be useful after the opcodes have been identified.

Hey guys,

I cannot answer this. The person who takes up the technical work on this, starting with either re-dumping the script with a new tool or with an update to be compatible with Richburn's tools, is the person to decide after some probing around.
I'm not yet clear on who'll be able to do this, though. Would it be you, Saturos?

Quote from: leaf on 19, July, 2014, 11:06:42 PM
I think it makes the most sense to work on editing while I play, rather than just going down the list of scripts without any context. It does mean having to find the right script for every major scene as I go, but... ah well. The scripts do seem to be roughly placed together, which is good, but it's still pretty disorganized.

As an aside, I *really* hope the script titles are the addresses in memory that they're supposed to be located at, because I have no idea how all of this is going to be reinserted if they aren't. There's 1052 script files, and while a lot of them seem to be one or two lines, that doesn't change the fact that all of them have to go in the right places.
I'm not sure of how this will be done in the end. I still have this feeling that manual or partially manual edits will be needed at some point, but let's wait and see.

So we'll have to wait until the script is dumped, makes sense. Is there anything I can help with? I thought fox could do this, but if they need any help, just ask, I don't know much about hacking, but I'll see what I can do. Aent seems to have a bit of knowledge about it too!

Quote from: Aent on 20, July, 2014, 04:14:41 PM
The scene is in 017bd14c.txt, but it appears that it's not in the exact order as it appears in the game nor the uncompressed PSI3 segments when ripped from the game. Try scrolling down to about line 585 to get the start of the conversation taking place after you fight V.E. It's probably safe to say that other parts are a bit out of order as well so you may have to do some searching.

For instance, the やった! line is right at the start of when it shows text in the PSI3 segment. I haven't investigated the opcodes yet though.
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Hmm, I really thought they were ordered, I hope this doesn't makes things too complex. About the opcodes, we got a lot of info about them, so if you want I can share it, It applies to the first of the swordcraft story series, but I guess some of the opcodes could be used for the third one (the second one qualifies too, I guess)

To leaf: wise words from our wise translator:

FYI, tell Leaf to look up what 鍛え even means. 研ぎ too. Considering one of the character's motto seems to be 'before you forge a weapon, you must forge yourself,' yeah, taking the more literal route is totes justified, yeah. Mm, there are some legit translation errors that I spotted when going through the script before deleting it, but eh. To be honest, the 'stray summon killed rob' line is actually more like 'rob was killed by a stray summon,' but passive voice isn't any fun.

About the missing bits of translastion, can you point out where you find them? i'm looking for them but every file is complete for me.

leaf

FYI, tell Leaf to look up what 鍛え even means. 研ぎ too. Considering one of the character's motto seems to be 'before you forge a weapon, you must forge yourself,' yeah, taking the more literal route is totes justified, yeah. Mm, there are some legit translation errors that I spotted when going through the script before deleting it, but eh. To be honest, the 'stray summon killed rob' line is actually more like 'rob was killed by a stray summon,' but passive voice isn't any fun.
Ah, I see. I didn't know 鍛え could mean forging. That decision makes more sense now. I actually had to look up 研ぎ before, but the only definition that I was able to find then was sharpening. I guess that's why I'm doing editing rather than the main translation work, heh.

Anyway, here's the re-edited line with 100% more forging and polishing:

鍛え抜かれ研ぎすまされた   
It is a special title

心と体の持ち主にのみ与えられる
OTL: only given those who possess hearts and body
RTL: given only to those whose hearts and body

特別な称号       
OTL: that have completely forged and totally polished.
RTL: have been completely forged and totally polished.

---

As for the stray summon line, its most literal form would be "Rob was... by a stray summon... killed...!" Which obviously sounds terrible in english, but the fact they broke it up into three lines rather than presenting it all at once means that delaying the verb was important to the original script. I think it makes the most sense, presentation-wise, to keep it as active voice. In game it would read as <white text on black background> "a stray summon..." <white text on red background> "killed him...!" You can't create the same effect using passive voice.
[spoiler=quotes]
---
---
---
---
---
---

Rolina

Nice cleanups.  With stuff like that, I think you'd make a great proofreader/editor. ^-^

Aent

Quote from: pablitox on 23, July, 2014, 04:34:13 PM
Hmm, I really thought they were ordered, I hope this doesn't makes things too complex. About the opcodes, we got a lot of info about them, so if you want I can share it, It applies to the first of the swordcraft story series, but I guess some of the opcodes could be used for the third one (the second one qualifies too, I guess)

Nah, as long as they're mostly/all there then hopefully we can rig up a find/replace script when the time comes. As for the opcodes, if the ones you're speaking of were included in sncsm3-master then I have them. If you have others, by all means, do share. =p

pablitox

Quote from: Aent on 25, July, 2014, 12:09:27 AM
Quote from: pablitox on 23, July, 2014, 04:34:13 PM

Nah, as long as they're mostly/all there then hopefully we can rig up a find/replace script when the time comes. As for the opcodes, if the ones you're speaking of were included in sncsm3-master then I have them. If you have others, by all means, do share. =p

Honestly it was more like, info in how to get them, I hope it's useful. Just a question, could you do a redump? that'd be useful as the opcodes are there, and we need the script to translate it again. This is the info about the opcodes in the first one of the series (swordcraft story)

[spoiler]

Well, I send you a file and its conversion table, is a bit sketchy, but it serves to visualize correctly. I imagine you know how to use an editor, but if not CrystalTile will be useful:

https://www.mediafire.com/?d48lx9m9w7qi19r

The PSI3 files that i sent you have some pointers in and control codes that allow the game to put a dialog or another to play with one character or another, but is incomplete.

Like many games, the dialogues have some pointers that tell the game where to read, obviously by modifying the lengths of the original text,they don't point where they should and so the game is broken or runs showing strange characters.The way the game locates the pointers is using markers. These files are like a jukebox, the game begins reading, and things appear on the screen and at some pointit has to read the text, that is the role of markers:

Search:
Code:
02 00 40 00 01 00 00
,which are found in this file in x94, x784 and X314.

In front of each of them is the corresponding pointer (reverse order):

Code:

Of x00000094 is x00B6
Of x00000314 is x0356
Of x00000784 is x082E

These pointers lead to the control codes that are associated with no more than a sum with x0C:

Code:

In x00B6 + xC = x00C2 is the control code x0300DC00
In xC = x0356 + x0362 is the control code x0300B603
In x082E + xC = x083A is the control code x0300D808

These control codes are responsible for giving the appropriate breaks dialogues, just turn them over and sum them xF:

XXYY x0300 -> + xC xYYXX leads to the same 0300 XXYY

I'll catch you the first one:

x0300 DC00 -> x00DC + xC = x00E8.
In x00E8 is back: x0300DC00, the control code.

Check with the other two to make sure you got it. These markers serve the game to skip the dialogue for the proper character of the two that we can choose.

these are CUE Tools

http://www.mediafire.com/?k9nw2nw02fq029w

as said, you can ask blackdog61 at romhacking as he does have a lot of info. Either way you can also turn to CUE or wastor to help
[/spoiler]

I think the same could apply to the second on, swordcraft story 2

Luna_blade

So saturos/lord wolfram, can you see Japanese in Word now?
Or is it unnecessary?
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Lord Wolfram

Quote from: Luna_blade on 27, July, 2014, 10:25:38 AM
So saturos/lord wolfram, can you see Japanese in Word now?
Or is it unnecessary?
Well at first welcome back!
@Lord Wolfram Why I changed name is because Two reasons first[spoiler]Because I had to make my own custom avatar. Made by myself[/spoiler]
And
[spoiler]My third name will be Wolfram. Interesting isn't it?[/spoiler]

That is if you wan't to know about it something.

@Japanese in Word
I haven't done anything because I have OpenOffice.org 3.3 on my computer.
So that look like it

Luna_blade

Quote from: Lord Wolfram on 27, July, 2014, 10:34:15 AM
@Lord Wolfram Why I changed name is because Two reasons first[spoiler]Because I had to make my own custom avatar. Made by myself[/spoiler]
And
Yeah I've read why you done it earlier. It was also kind of confusing sometimes. Anyway, nice avatar!
@Japanese in Word
So that look like it
OpenOffice? Lol. NOW I understand why you can't see Japanese. OpenOffice is just Word with less functions, but free.

Do you have Word 2003 or any version? Because you might be able to read Japanese with it.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

pablitox

Quote from: Luna_blade on 27, July, 2014, 11:04:24 AM
And
Yeah I've read why you done it earlier. It was also kind of confusing sometimes. Anyway, nice avatar!
@Japanese in Word
So that look like it
OpenOffice? Lol. NOW I understand why you can't see Japanese. OpenOffice is just Word with less functions, but free.

Do you have Word 2003 or any version? Because you might be able to read Japanese with it.

Weird, at least it works, though I had more success with notepad++, it's a very strong program.
In unrelated news, no$gba 2.7c freeware debugger announced.