Golden Sun Hacking Community
December 14, 2017, 10:25:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making text editor.  (Read 31011 times)
leaf
Potions class is starting
Venus Clan

Death Eater+Grass Snake = Snake Eater? SNAAAAAAAKE

Veteran Member

Coins: 10

« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2014, 11:13:20 AM »

Google translate can be really finicky. If you ever get an accurate translation for a complete sentence, consider yourself lucky lol

It usually works pretty well for small parts, though, and I often make use of it when I encounter kanji I'm not familiar with.

Spoiler for quotes:
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O
View Profile

Coins: 0

« Reply #121 on: December 27, 2014, 05:22:19 AM »

Google translate can be really finicky. If you ever get an accurate translation for a complete sentence, consider yourself lucky lol

It usually works pretty well for small parts, though, and I often make use of it when I encounter kanji I'm not familiar with.

ahaha, yeah, I've tried it, God you can't understand most of the phrases.

View Profile

« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2014, 12:56:13 AM »

I want to announce a new patch release :D after some months there was a lot of progress in the graphics of the game, which are also quite important, this includes in-game portraits, partner's naming screen, and minigame description (the firewood minigame one).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/l1suy7m816i8sm5/sn3gba_graphic_menus_v0.6_Jrombase.ups

Thanks and kudos to Ghanmi from the gbatemp forums for the big graphic help, mz, Almagest and FAST for helping with kanji identification for a handful of graphical NPC names.TsubasaShaoranExel and Leaf, as well as the previous translators, for names.

To leaf, hope the script is treating you well, xD If you need any type of context of when a char is saying anything and how ask me right away, I'll be glad to help.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:29:50 PM by pablitox » Logged

View Profile

« Reply #123 on: February 09, 2015, 10:38:03 PM »

Hey there, wanted o make a bit of a post.

I did change some graphics, thanks to ghanmi for the quick tutorial, so this leaves only compressed graphics and the script insertion. I did not receive any news from Aent of whatsoever, so I'm looking for help again. I hope that aent can share with use what they have if they decide to answer again.

View Profile

« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2015, 02:11:56 AM »

I am still taking appliances to finish this translation, romhackers needed

View Profile

« Reply #125 on: June 22, 2015, 09:05:44 PM »

This is still going!

This thread will be used to give an update on the translation of this game. The old thread had a lot of outdated information and broken links, so I decided to make a new one with the latest patch and information available.

A bit of story - Translation

As far as it goes, the translation had it's problems since the beginning: translators and hackers leaving with a half unfinished job were the most common.
Two years ago, the project was revived by oil_ who made a site the translation:

http://sntranslation.vacau.com

A lot of people did contribute to it (kind of an open translation) though some parts of it still bother me a bit (some stiff translations, untranslated lines, etc). Luckily, another user is making a TLC and proofreading, so when I receive the polished version I'll post it. Meanwhile, here's the current version of the script: https://github.com/wangds/sncsm3/blob/master/resources/scriptTXT.7z

Hacking the game

Well, that's all about the translation so far. The hacking front wasn't as lucky as the other one, but some progress has been made since oil_ left:

Graphical front: following parakarry's footsteps, ghanmi could make use of their awesome skills and translated some graphics:

Though some of them are still missing:

+Select Hero:
+Select Partner:
+"Tsushin" (Link) in-menu graphic
+"Omake" (Extras) in-menu graphic
+Similar in-menu graphics in Engrish that may need fixing
+Fishing tutorial:
+Names in Credits

and some minor problems:

+Title screen, third and fourth options: I messed up inserting one of the four frames for "2P" ("tsushin/link" option, the graphic probably needs to be redone) and didn't touch omake "bonus".
For those two I'll need to use the no$gba debugger to move the sprites anyways removing the gaps for a proper translation.
+Opening lines not fixed yet to use the proper translation ("a land called paradise"). This should be possible (called "a paradise land" once). The wording is awkward because of tiles repeating and imposing draconian limitations on the thing, but it should be possible if the tilemap is modified.
+The glow effect doesn't match the crude shitty new English logo. It needs heavy tile map reworking.

All the NPC and character's grahpics were translated. I'll try searching for the missing ones, but if someone wants to help it could be good too. Here are some files which will be useful:

Parakarry's old files: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/3ltu3ztzon6t7/patch

Script front: This one's the most difficult so far. For what I gathered asking the process involve finding some opcodes of the game (pointers that indicate what the game has to do, example load V.E's portrait, wait for user's input to advance, etc). Luckily, another user from the last thread, Earthdarkness, has decided to lend us a helping hand making tools that can overcome the character limits of each line. We'll have to wait for their input on the tools, but im sure it will be done.

About the system messages, Ritchburn's tools did provide a good help to translate things like weapons, items. So far the progress in that front is:

Weapons: 100% translated (with each weapon's description).
Items (includes equipables, imbue, recovery, ores): 100% translated.
Quest Items (99% translated; did find a problem with some of them, more on that in a while).
Magic: 100% translated. (even the guardian beast special attack).
Special Skills: 100% translated.
Bestiary: 100% translated (proofreading could be awesome).
Boss data: 90%
Other system messages:~50% Translated.

The process involved a lot of trial and error, so I left it kind of unfinished. Also there's certain problems I found with some messages:
  • One of them is a boss which
    Spoiler for Hidden:
    should have the same name as the main character, same as with your partner
    I found no way to assing it. If someone could look that one up, it could be awesome.
  • In the same way, one system message goes roughly like: (Guardian) smithing rank is now (Option1) (in runes: (Guardian)鍛冶ランクが(Option1)になりました) where (Guardian) means the type of weapon (sword, axe, spear, fist, drill, bow) and (option1) is the rank (Usually 1, 2 or 3).
If anyone could help me and take a look at them, It'd be useful too.

The patch

Here's the latest patch released:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/l1suy7m816i8sm5/sn3gba_graphic+menus_v0.6_Jrombase.ups

it includes the graphics done by ghanmi and some of my translated system messages.

Credits:

translation:
macaronron
salixa
X_Wings
xswordcraftx
cyan
haruka-123
Zynk
Akiron
Chronomoogle
TheZu
gangrelion

hacking
Ritchburn
Aent
TLZ
Earthdarkness
Ghanmi
and everyone else involved I may have forgotten, lol.

Contact

PM me or send a message to pablofernandez409@hotmail.com , I'd strongly advice NOT to use the sntranslation chatroom as the site is totally outdated.

Updates

soon.

View Profile

« Reply #126 on: November 29, 2017, 06:29:38 PM »

Hey everyone! sorry for necro bumping this post again.

I'm still working on Hajimari no Ishi, and while we made a LOT of progress translating the script, we need help inserting it back into the rom.

Hopefully Aent is not busy enough to help us back, or another person with similar hacking knowledge.

Thank you! Happy

View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #127 on: November 30, 2017, 06:46:08 AM »

I should probably look into this again.

Would be fun if I could find a way to make it use Golden Sun's text compression!

Just remember, I make *no promises*, though.... Esp. since that last time I looked at it (years ago),.... it turned out I didn't make much progress...  I forget if we documented any of the code or not. So I'll need to find those addresses again. - It'll likely be a complex task...

@Script = So do we have it in a text document? One line per index? (If the game does it by index? Forget. Edit: Oh yes, you have it one per file by address... went to the link in the earlier post.) I know that lines can have funny stuff going on in them, though. But I'll need to think what's actually needed in the event /all/ the text is being compressed at the same time. (And with the possibility of modifying the code.)

For now, I will just look... then decide if I'll do anything a bit later.

---
I think I'll document the functions.... There's likely going to be a lot of code editing(?) if this goes through?
And with the compression format theory, you don't really have to go to 8-bit char... could keep it 16-bit. (Maybe, at least with a slightly modified version of the compression format.) ... Since that's what would be in the char trees... where-as, the text data would be variable bits. (In theory.) ; But I think I'm interested in making it 8-bits when it is in the char trees... should I ever have a decent enough plan....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:23:12 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile

« Reply #128 on: November 30, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »

I should probably look into this again.

Would be fun if I could find a way to make it use Golden Sun's text compression!

Just remember, I make *no promises*, though.... Esp. since that last time I looked at it (years ago),.... it turned out I didn't make much progress...  I forget if we documented any of the code or not. So I'll need to find those addresses again. - It'll likely be a complex task...

@Script = So do we have it in a text document? One line per index? (If the game does it by index? Forget. Edit: Oh yes, you have it one per file by address... went to the link in the earlier post.) I know that lines can have funny stuff going on in them, though. But I'll need to think what's actually needed in the event /all/ the text is being compressed at the same time. (And with the possibility of modifying the code.)

For now, I will just look... then decide if I'll do anything a bit later.

---
I think I'll document the functions.... There's likely going to be a lot of code editing(?) if this goes through?
And with the compression format theory, you don't really have to go to 8-bit char... could keep it 16-bit. (Maybe, at least with a slightly modified version of the compression format.) ... Since that's what would be in the char trees... where-as, the text data would be variable bits. (In theory.) ; But I think I'm interested in making it 8-bits when it is in the char trees... should I ever have a decent enough plan....

That would be definitely useful fox! Hopefully your try yields good results this time.

As a reminder of where we are right now: the script is currently compressed using LZ77, and it's made of PSI3 files or varying lengths. Each of this script files have a subset of different control codes, that tell the game how to show the information (portraits, type of text box, if the dialogue branches etc) A lot of them have been identified and I'm doing my best to document them, it will take a day or two though. It's not a complete list but I'm sure it'll be useful too.

View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #129 on: November 30, 2017, 11:17:13 PM »

Well, any work to bring the translation project 1 step closer to finishing is good work.... (Even if it's minor.)

Sounds good. Where might I find the most updated English script, anyway?  Not too familiar with PSI3 files, but I'll look at them. I think before I was studying system related text (Uncompressed)... But all that is nice to know.

Thinking about it a little more, should we not fully do 8-bits... (If 16-bits are easier.)... we can still do the GS Compression, and still do 8-bits in the char tables (Since I just realized 16-bits there would be clumsy regardless/Would have made sense for normal Huffman, though.), but have those values look up the 16-bit codes. Hm! (That'd be a max 0x200 byte table (Likely less) + whatever code to make it work.) Each 16-bit would represent a single character, though... So double characters should be avoided... to do variable length characters) -- But of course, I'd like to do a bit of research on Summon Night's code, so a lot of this could just be empty thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:48:40 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Did you know? In English, you are suppose to capitalize the languages. (e.g. English is a proper noun.) Subjects like math, science, history can be left lower-cased unless they are a title. (Kind of like how you can say either "my mom" or "Mom" in "I went with (X) to the store.", except that I don't think languages are ever lower-cased in English.) In Spanish, both subjects and languages are left lower-cased. (I put this here because I've noticed people make this mistake quite often. And am curious if they know about this, and whether they use their way because they believe this grammar usage should have never been a thing?

Remember kids! In getting a job, it's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know! So start making friends with the people that work where you want to work. :) (Friend of a friend and volunteering count too, so keep that in mind.)[/si
View Profile

« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2017, 12:04:28 AM »

Well, any work to bring the translation project 1 step closer to finishing is good work.... (Even if it's minor.)

Sounds good. Where might I find the most updated English script, anyway?  Not too familiar with PSI3 files, but I'll look at them. I think before I was studying system related text (Uncompressed)... But all that is nice to know.

The most updated english script is here: https://github.com/salixa/SNSC3-Translation

As you can see, it's formatted differently because some progress was made in identyfying the control codes. Alas I don't have all the info available.

Arount here, page 5-6 there's some tools to rip and uncompress the english script, using a C function first and passing the scripts through DSDECMP

View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2017, 01:08:23 AM »

Okay. Thanks! Wow. A lot to take in.

And that sounds nice. I kind of wish there was a key. (Hex values that represent each control code.) I'll probably get them as I document the game code. (Depending on how much time I devote to it.) ; (Though, I guess you're working on that... if going by your posts.)

@rip/uncompress = If it is compressed in the ROM, another option is to just dig it out of the game's RAM where it is decompressed?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:17:14 AM by Fox » Logged

View Profile

« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2017, 03:46:14 AM »

And that sounds nice. I kind of wish there was a key. (Hex values that represent each control code.) I'll probably get them as I document the game code. (Depending on how much time I devote to it.) ; (Though, I guess you're working on that... if going by your posts.)

@rip/uncompress = If it is compressed in the ROM, another option is to just dig it out of the game's RAM where it is decompressed?

if it's useful, the uncompressed script inside the gba are stored at 0x02006000 which is in the WRAM. Some control codes were documented with their hex value, once I'm done I'll share them.

View Profile

« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2017, 04:41:21 AM »

I have collected everything I know about how the control codes work in-game, with some examples. Also, how the script is read by the game.

Here's the file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/os9sqb59xpdbbw7/List%20of%20Hajimari%20no%20Ishi%20Control%20Codes.txt

View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »

Oh cool. That's nice.

One thing, though.  It looks a bit unorganized and rushed.

I'd prefer the commands written the 16-bit way (That is the way they are written, right?).... and for them to be in order by their number... So like....

Something like below, but I'll have to work quite a bit on it....

---

General / Control Flow?
0002 = conditional jump, test player's gender
0003 = simple jump
0004 = End of script
0007 = function call

(Not sure if there are categories for 0100+ and 0200+)

???
0307 = Set variable
0308 = Normal Text box
0309 = for text that spans 3 lines
030A
030B = Text box with large letters
030C = for one line
030D = options
030E = End
030F
0311 =  Box with Title (Where will you go?)
0312 = Box without Title (just a text box)
0313 = default option (no option chose)
0314 = option (Deikle Village)
0315 = end of menu
0317 = popup message: This are special text boxes that are really small and appear in the middle of the screen
0318 = wait for key press on pop up text box??

0363 = set actual place in the game's menu

037D = set name sprite
037E = set visible or invisible (portrait) Invisible are for NPC which doesn't have any portraits

???
0478 = sets portrait.
0479 = sets eye expression and mouth expression.
047A
047B
047C
047D = adds extra sprites if the portrait is wider.

View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 09:19:38 PM
Fox: Okay, so that Summon Night games adds the fram number to the seed, before generating another seed via mul/add....  (GS1-GS3 never adds the fram number.) ... So um, that makes sense! ;  Summon Night:  ((seed + frame) * 0x343FD + 0x269E3C) >> 0x10 ; Which is also on the list here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_congruential_generator
December 12, 2017, 11:10:45 PM
Fox: Yes, and there could be contests. Maybe ones where 1st/2nd/3rd place get a cash reward, but eh. Dunno.... Kind of thinking about making a topic about how people got their job, and what was their experience. (e.g. Did they use references of people already working in the job, and various other things.)
December 09, 2017, 04:24:14 AM
Majora: Import old forum posts for reference, perhaps take posts containing important info like documentation away from the old stickied forum post model and make them into their own pages on a site with an in-built search bar. Might help with SEO, too. If nothing else, perhaps whipping them into PDFs and hosting them via Scribd? The possibilities are boundless when it comes to restructuring a site
December 09, 2017, 04:20:02 AM
Majora: Just a nice idea to have even if it doesn't come to fruition. Updating, modernizing, always a good idea. Could probably do something pretty nifty using a good Wordpress theme
December 09, 2017, 04:15:45 AM
Majora: Would be kind of neat to do something like that for GSHC. Could change it up a bit to show all tweets/instagram posts/facebook posts/golden sun subreddit posts all in one sidebar. It would be cool in that it gives the site it's on (and the topic in general) appear more lively and active, which is a plus
December 09, 2017, 04:14:19 AM
Majora: That does sound interesting. One cool thing I've seen some sites use is a sort of unique take on a sidebar option that acts like a social media integration (like, "See GSHC's latest Tweets"). It displays activity from a variety of related sites, such as Reddit, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
December 09, 2017, 12:58:53 AM
Fox: And the way it'd work via code is not that all users would instantly get nicknames the minute you register... but rather, the moment you view a name if it doesn't have a nickname, it gets one. (My Thoughts.)
December 09, 2017, 12:53:55 AM
Fox: (I was thinking that it would be "Name (Nickname)" ... The nickname is what you first known the user as, and you can change that yourself... and the Name is what the user wants to be called... Something like that.
December 09, 2017, 12:47:56 AM
Fox: So like... for starters, one idea I had was to make it so anyone can name anyone... much like how it works on Skype, and you (the namer) would be the only one to see it, and such...
December 09, 2017, 12:45:02 AM
Fox: Would need to be carefully thought out and tested, though.
December 09, 2017, 12:43:02 AM
Fox: I'm thinking I could make it so that name changes can happen whenever... (Without any limit)... Since I believe there's a way to do it with minimum confusion. (I think.) Hmm....
December 09, 2017, 12:31:36 AM
Fox: (I mean an offline version... at least initially.)
December 09, 2017, 12:25:01 AM
Fox: Now that I have thought about it a bit more, would I be right to assume that GSHC would be one of the most interesting websites to administrate, or no? It's sad to see not much going on with it. == I almost want to make a concept website at some point. :D Anyway, how is everyone doing today?
December 06, 2017, 12:12:59 AM
Fox: Like... Start using Github or something... Do like how many of those other projects such as Citra (WIP 3DS Emulator) does. Etc.
December 06, 2017, 12:08:12 AM
Fox: No idea. I just wish OpenGoldenSun would release it as unfinished, but oh well.
December 05, 2017, 06:52:09 AM
MaxiPower: Bummed out that the open golden sun project is dead it seems with no actitivy in close to a year at this point. Is there any hope left in any other projects?
November 27, 2017, 10:25:28 AM
Fox: (When I say research, mainly refering to the data in the game, though checking websites can count to a degree.)
November 27, 2017, 09:52:27 AM
Fox: Maybe. But Dark Dawn is meh, hahah... I still research it, though, because data can be interesting.
November 27, 2017, 05:28:36 AM
Portakin: I'm here! This game is underrated!
November 25, 2017, 08:03:23 PM
Fox: .... and the email listed in that post makes me think we should just make a new rules topic with most of the same information. (So the old ones can be sort o archived.)

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise