News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Golden Sun Mistranslations

Started by KyleRunner, 31, March, 2014, 10:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyleRunner

Hello guys!

I don't know if a similar topic already exist...

Could you guys, please post here all Golden Sun 1 and 2 mistranslations (japanese-english)?

I'll use all info on my fan translation.

Thanks in advance!

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

The most well-known one is that Felix says "Why?" at the Trial Roads.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

KyleRunner

Quote from: Teawater on 31, March, 2014, 10:44:31 PM
The most well-known one is that Felix says "Why?" at the Trial Roads.

What he says in the japanese version?

By the way, I learned that the "water blessing" psinergy is actually "water breath".

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I think it was supposed to be just a "?" in English... but I forget? (You should actually verify this before assuming so.)

Speaking of psynergies... I think the Ply one was supposed to be Pray.

If I remember correctly, some of these things may have been discussed in other topics here at GSHC.... but I forget where... (It's possible that it could have been off-topic discussion? If I had to make a random assumption.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

KyleRunner

So far:

Why? (Felix) ==> ????

Fire puppet ==> Fear Puppet ==> Fantoche do Medo.

Formina sage ==> Fulminous Edge ==> Lâmina Fulminante.

True Colide ==> Fulminous Edge ==> Lâmina Fulminante

Ulmuch ==> Hsu

Donpappa ==> Donpapa (golden sun wiki).

Several characters and objects have had their names changed between Golden Sun and The Lost Age: Hama is now spelled "Hamma", the Black Orb is now named the "Black Crystal", and perhaps the most unusual, Hsu is called "Ulmuch", which is his name in the Japanese version of the Golden Sun series. These can generally be chalked up to localization inconsistencies and oversights. ==> http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Golden_Sun:_The_Lost_Age/Tricks,_glitches,_and_other_minutiae

Every Psynery with "Blessing" ==> Breath

Alex is Mia's Father pupil, not hers.

Aile~♥

Actually, True Collide > Dark Contact.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

IIRC, Erik the Appreciator found out that the reason they didn't relocalize Ulmuch (his JP name) to Hsu (his US name) was because of the TLA's text compression.  Same for Black Orb → Black Crystal.  It's not really an oversight so much as an unfortunate circumstance of programming. 

Aile~♥

Quote from: Rolina on 07, August, 2014, 09:12:06 AM
IIRC, Erik the Appreciator found out that the reason they didn't relocalize Ulmuch (his JP name) to Hsu (his US name) was because of the TLA's text compression.  Same for Black Orb → Black Crystal.  It's not really an oversight so much as an unfortunate circumstance of programming. 
Yeah, there are some really dumb things with TLA's text compression. Such as, for example, the complete inability to use the word "kingdom" for any reason. Some words just don't work, which is really a pretty bad thing to have in your game.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

It's freaking frustrating when you're making new classes/spells.  Marquis was a class I wanted to do for a while, and it just couldn't be done... That reminds me... *heads off to optimization topic*