Golden Sun Hacking Community
December 12, 2018, 05:34:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Error Reports  (Read 74564 times)
ThanatosTheDark
The Greatest Nightmare
Venus Clan

I am now the darkness of Gaea. Fear our wrath.

Coins: 0

I am: Craving human flesh

« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2011, 07:24:26 PM »

I get these error reports too. I usually get them when i change an item icon. It usually appears near the bottom of the icon list, for that i click ignore twice and it doesn't bother me until I change another icon. I also see it during map altering (lets just call it that.) If I'm editing for too long, it pops up and i can't get rid of it, forcing me to restart the editor and making me lose progress.

I am nothing more than a nothingness that never was.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2011, 01:51:47 AM »

Here's both patches, using 0.4.2.  The patch that uses 0.3.X is in the downloads section, and has the same problems (I tested on high-end classes, which it's fine on.  Lower-tier classes, such as Ninja, aren't accessible for some reason).
I've noticed that each class starts on a 10 mark - does that have anything to do with the reason the condensing of the classes is screwing up tri-element classes?  Could it be something to do with the actual position of the classes themselves?

View Profile WWW
Claros Flamestrike
Of the Vibrant Life
Mars Clan

Living vibrantly since 1989.™

I am: cringing so hard, I think my face is stuck like this forever. Thanks, 2011 version of me! >_< lmao

« Reply #257 on: September 13, 2011, 06:43:46 PM »

I got something that I'm pretty sure is new.  When I try doing anything in the text editor after the Vale Sanctum scene at the beginning of the game, it says, "Error replacing string!" and smashes all the text together on every single entry for the rest of the game.  0_o  So, everything that comes after that scene's text in the editor gets all smashed up and mixed together.  The formatting tags, (like "[3]" and "[17][1]"), are all in place and fine.  But plain text is all screwy.  I'll upload a screenshot of it when I get a chance, providing I can get a new mouse for my computer.  (I left my mouse at school yesterday, as the computers there are Macs and I wanted to play Minecraft.)  In the meanwhile, here's a line that I remember quite well, for some reason, though I can't recall the line number...

[17][1], wilou accre[3]
orthis land?[2]

...Or something like that.  xD

- 2br02b
View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #258 on: September 14, 2011, 03:44:43 AM »

That's a known error - the compression for text needs to be fixed - it's ridiculous right now, as even canon text will trigger this if you go to edit it and change your mind.

View Profile WWW
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Coins: 1

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2011, 05:28:36 AM »

That's a known error - the compression for text needs to be fixed - it's ridiculous right now, as even canon text will trigger this if you go to edit it and change your mind.

First I've heard of it.  Nice to hear about it now so that I know I need to fix it.

I recall programming in that error message, and am fairly certain I had also programmed it to revert the changes so that it was as if you hadn't tried to edit the string at all if it occurred.  Seems like something's still being changed though...  Anyway, it occurs when the string is successfully compressed, but an error occurred while trying to insert it into the ROM for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 05:42:48 AM by Atrius » Logged

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #260 on: September 15, 2011, 12:18:19 AM »

...?  No, this sounds like just common compression problems we've had since the text editor came out.  If I'm wrong, though, oh well, but to me it kinda sounds like the same kind of frustration I've had to deal with at times thanks to the text compression.

View Profile WWW
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2011, 07:01:25 AM »

I'm pretty sure that since I programmed the error messages into the editor I know that "Error replacing string" has a very different cause from "Cannot compress string with current compression tables"

"Cannot compress string" can only mean one thing, the text compression tables wouldn't allow the string to be compressed.

"Error replacing string" is a bit more vague, but can only be triggered after a successful compression has taken place.  It just means that somewhere during the proccess of sticking that compressed data into the ROM something went wrong.  There are a surprisingly large number of steps to that process, so there's a lot that could go wrong.  The only thing it knows for sure is that what it meant to stick in there didn't make the trip successfully.

View Profile WWW
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2011, 07:59:54 AM »

Ah, I see.  Thanks for clarifying.

View Profile WWW
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 29

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #263 on: January 06, 2012, 06:50:37 PM »

Did you know when you keep the editor open for long periods of time, it begins to take up a lot of memory? (Like over night for example.) Though, I believe my computer ended up going standby/hibernation/whatever at some time..

I come back to notice the editor had a black screen, and in the task manager it was up to like 1,800,000 K memory. I closed the editor to get this error:

for object obj_editor_sys:

Cannot locate string: savechanges

I don't think it is anything much to worry about, in my opinion, but I'm just making sure if this is something game maker is known for or not...

As far as GML goes, do you think maybe there is a way to dispose of any unused resources?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:03:53 PM by Teawater » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #264 on: January 06, 2012, 09:06:44 PM »

There is for some stuff, but not everything.

Sounds like a pretty bad memory leak, though I can't imagine what the editor could be leaking while just sitting there...  I do sometimes test for leaks by switching between interfaces in the editor a lot since that would be when they're most likely to occur, but I can't say I've ever just left it run overnight to.

I know that if your computer goes to sleep or something like that with the editor open it may have a black screen when you return to it, but it should automatically fix itself within a couple seconds.  Sometimes it also throws a lot of error messages that say it doesn't have enough permissions or something like that.  As far as I can tell it's something to do with Game Maker when that happens, when you close all the error messages the editor still works fine.

View Profile WWW

New User

« Reply #265 on: January 08, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »

The map index shows conversations of game. This happens with the spanish rom of Golden Sun 1.

View Profile
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #266 on: January 09, 2012, 12:42:49 AM »

Again?  I thought I fixed that once already...  Or, maybe I did for TLA but never checked the original GS...

View Profile WWW
JamietheFlameUser
Diamond Pokémon
Mars Clan

Does this look like the face of mercy?

Prodigy

I am: Poke poke poke poke... I can't stop it...

« Reply #267 on: January 31, 2012, 05:55:48 PM »

So. Somehow the editor managed to corrupt a ROM to the point that the editor won't recognize it as a GS ROM. I have no idea how this happened: All I did was take a hack someone had made (all he did was increase the number of turns each enemy gets) and went to change the stats given by Djinn so that all the Djinn found by Felix's party during TLA gave +4 PP as their only stat increase. I also had modified a few abilities and created a new class, as well as modify the elemental levels and innate abilities of some characters.

:P

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

Spoiler for epic mindscrew:
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Alchemist

« Reply #268 on: January 31, 2012, 11:00:26 PM »

I can confirm this.  That's happened to me as well.  It doesn't happen often, granted, but occasionally it does.  Usually just re-patching a clean rom should work (dunno why, but it does...)

View Profile WWW
Atrius
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

« Reply #269 on: February 01, 2012, 02:29:57 AM »

Making a patch of the broken ROM, and applying it to a clean one fixes it?

I'd like to see a patch either way.

View Profile WWW
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
December 09, 2018, 07:43:31 PM
Fox: A banana for you, a banana for me, let's all open a banana and enjoy!
December 08, 2018, 09:48:52 PM
Drake baku: ba... ba.... bana.... bana.... banana.... nanananananananana..... and now back to doing normal, kinda
December 07, 2018, 05:43:02 PM
Luna_blade: Hey I forgot the christmas theme
November 29, 2018, 09:01:09 AM
zman9000: ded
November 19, 2018, 11:05:28 AM
Drake baku: Good day to ya all
October 30, 2018, 09:45:58 PM
Atrius: There used to be where I got the battle sprites for Kraden, but that site doesn't exist any more.
October 26, 2018, 01:31:40 PM
Infitek: Do you know if there any custom Alex battle sprites available on the internet ?
October 26, 2018, 01:31:01 PM
Infitek: Hey everyone
October 13, 2018, 03:23:06 AM
Salanewt: Updated it to provide more info that I forgot to mention.
October 13, 2018, 03:16:48 AM
Salanewt: I'm still trying to iron out IQ 2 but I'm pretty sure it's entirely random targeting.
October 13, 2018, 03:16:29 AM
Salanewt: Oh yeah, I posted some more info about enemy IQ.
October 12, 2018, 09:51:27 PM
FoxThe HTML5 project is too small to count
October 12, 2018, 06:19:48 AM
Luna_blade: there is jjppof's html5 project...
October 12, 2018, 06:19:17 AM
Luna_blade: Though Momo rings a bell it seems I came here after you left
October 11, 2018, 12:49:41 AM
Fox: (If that makes sense.)
October 11, 2018, 12:48:33 AM
Fox: Yeah, I guess so.  More just saying that's a good place to get answers to GS related questions at the moment.
October 11, 2018, 12:42:28 AM
Crystal Sonata: I did before, but I guess I could try it again
October 11, 2018, 12:41:32 AM
Fox: Not much at the moment. This forum seems pretty quiet. Perhaps you'd be interested in joining the Discord for GSHC that seems to have more activity?
October 10, 2018, 11:16:53 PM
Crystal Sonata: Any projects going on? I need a distraction from the daily grind and I'm interested in hacking GS again.
October 10, 2018, 10:02:53 PM
Fox: Thanks, and good to see you too!

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise