News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Error Reports

Started by thenightsshadow, 08, June, 2009, 09:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Whoa... I dunno what just happened, but... I was messing in the editor, then clicked on abilities... suddenly the navigation icons went away.  I'd had this happen to me several times in the past, I usually just saved and rebooted the editor.  However, this time when I tried to save, I got the following error message:

for object obj_eAbilities:

Error in code at line 6:
   WRITE_UBYTE(global.file,target)

at position 26: Unknown variable target

So, it seems there's a bug in the editor.  Talking to others, it seems I'm not alone in experiencing it, either.  Actually, this happened when I was editing to confirm another bug someone may have found, where a high-ish regen won't go down unless you drop it to 0 first.  I'll have an edit if I'm able to confirm that.

Additionally, when trying to boot it up from the start menu, I get this:

for object obj_lAbilityAnims:

Could not find strings file

Which caused me to make a shortcut to it instead.  Just so you know, my start menu puts shortcuts to programs I use often into it for quick access.

Put any bugs you find, as well as putting anything you did leading up to the error message.  If Atrius is to address these bugs, they needs as much info as they can get.

DO NOT post here if you do not have an actual error to report.  Remember, you have to re-load the edited rom for changes to take effect, and start a new game to test for stuff like starting items.  EVERY TIME.  Soft resetting, and clicking on the reset option for the emulator you use to test it, WILL.  NOT.  WORK.  You have to use File -> Load GBA game (or the like) every time you test something.

If you do not have an error message pop up, you need to have someone else verify the result.  If they don't get the problem, the problem is with you, your rom, or your compy, not the editor.

thenightsshadow

Confirmed for these, I've found them.
Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

Atrius (He/Him)

Awesome topic idea Role, I love you for this.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

We'll love you back if you can fix them! ^w^

thenightsshadow

Reminds me.  I think I have an error here, but every time I visit the Patch page, the Maximum Letters changes from 5 to 11 even though I don't touch anything there.  Changing it back to 5 keeps it 5.

Another error I get is

for object obj_eClasses:

Error in code at line 5:
  WRITE_UINT(global.file,unknown[0])

at position 25: Unknown variable unknown

This post has been edited by thenightsshadow on Jun 9 2009, 09:44 PM

Atrius (He/Him)

Hmm... That could be pretty bad.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Oh wow, these might be serious. Nothing that can not be cured though, right?

If I find any errors in the future, then I will post them.

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

There seems to be two more errors I've been getting too.  The first one I confirmed for TNS... When you raise Regen to high amounts, save it, test it, don't like it, and lower it... when you save and test again, UNLESS the amount was 0, the regen doesn't actually change in play, by remains the edited value in the editor for some reason.  O.o

The other?  SOMEHOW... I don't know how... In the ability editor, despite Wish and Aura having a range of all allies...  The highest level of them (pure wish, Cool Aura) has an in-game range of 1, which heals all allies in battle, but only one ally out of battle.  I have NO CLUE what I did to get this to happen, and I've no clue how to fix it or work around it.

Neither one of these popped up an error message, so I don't have a error notice to give you.

This post has been edited by Role on Jun 12 2009, 03:21 AM

Salanewt

Oh wow, that sounds odd. Maybe you could test it with spells like Cure, if you remember in the future how you did it. By the way, good news, by next week, I should be getting a new computer, so I can try to help out if anyone has problems.
The bad news that I have though, is that I have exams next week, so i will not be able to help until Friday, and very rarely on the weekends (unless it is between November and April).

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

thenightsshadow

for object obj_lAbilityAnims:

Error defining an external function.

This one I get on startup.

Edit:
Okay, I'm not sure what causes this, but...
It seems that Briggs and the Sea Fighters are bugged in and of themselves.  Once I edit them once, I can't edit them again.

As a test, I edited their HP to the Hack's levels, then down to 1, then back up again, saving each time.  It only kept the previous HP level, plus all the stats and items.  Changing past the first time never did anything.

This post has been edited by thenightsshadow on Jun 15 2009, 11:32 PM

xakota

I tried to edit the chestbeaters to make them super-powered, but the HP editor won't work. they die after being hit with 1000 HP, even though i maxed it. Help?

Salanewt

QuoteI tried to edit the chestbeaters to make them super-powered, but the HP editor won't work. they die after being hit with 1000 HP, even though i maxed it. Help?

Just before I answer this, I am not sure if this post is in the correct thread, but why not try gradually raising it by a few hundred HP, then save, then increase more, then save, and so on and so forth...

Anyway, I forget which of these errors I got, but if I get it again, then I will post it. I was viewing the animations, and then I edited something in either items or abilities, but when I tried to save, the error came up.

Have a nice day.

goldensunwiz

Umm...I downloaded it, but when I start it, it goes really slow, and I can't do anything. 0.o Is that just my computer or something?

thenightsshadow

Okay, new error.

I basically edited Jenna and Piers' classes to be the same.  When I put in the formulae, she became a Mariner, and made it all the way to Admiral.  Then, I edited it again, and closed the editor by accident.  Reopening and retesting the rest caused me to only attain Captain, not Admiral.  I found out after the tests that it was because the game or editor recorrected itself.  I saw an 11 in Mercury for Admiral.

This post has been edited by thenightsshadow on Jul 5 2009, 11:40 PM

Rolina

Okay, peeps, the editor being slow is NOT an error report.  Also, if you're unsure if you have an actual error, please contact someone else to have your results verified.  UNLESS YOU GET AN ACTUAL ERROR NUMBER, MAKE SURE YOU CAN DUPLICATE IT.  In otherwords, have someone else verify the problem.  You can use a PM or IM, I don't care, but this is not a thread for "BAAAWWWW, the editor isn't doing what I want it to do!"

Atrius (He/Him)

Error report
Whats been done about the errors so far for the next version of the editor.

Fixed
- Unknown variable errors when saving, or exiting the program
- Party member maximum name length changes to 11 by itself
- Enemy defense uneditable

Other

- Could not find strings file
The main way to get this error is when the "language.ini" file is missing.
You can also get this error by Dragging & Dropping a file onto the program from a different folder. Fixed

- Error defining an external function
The program has 2 dll files packed into it that it automatically extracts when run.  If for any reason it can't extract these files or locate them afterwards you'll get this error. Running the program on a non-english language version of Windows could possibly cause this error, but running it under Applocale may be able to work around it.

- Enemy stat change errors other than defense
IF YOU CREATE A SAVE STATE DURING A BATTLE THE ENEMIES STATS WILL BE THE EXACT SAME WHEN YOU RELOAD THAT STATE AS THEY WERE WHEN YOU CREATED IT REGARDLESS OF ANY CHANGES YOU MADE IN THE EDITOR.  Also after you save any changes at all in the editor, you'll need to reload the game if it's already running before any of them can take effect.

thenightsshadow

Sounds nice.

Uh, I'm guessing you'll tell us when it's scheduled for release, right?

Atrius (He/Him)

It will be released when it's ready.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Okay, I understand because a released date, often means a rushed program, and rushed programs usually aren't the best, so have all the time you need! =) Generally I'm expecting around Christmas time. July, August, September, October, November, December, if before that than Great, if after, that's okay too.

This post has been edited by charleysdrpepper on Jul 11 2009, 10:57 PM
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

Save states reload data from the STATE IN WHICH YOU SAVE IT.  Basically, if it's the non-edited version, then you'll get the non-edited version.  Like I said before, you have to RE LOAD THE GAME.  As in, goto file -> Load GBA Game -> Filepath -> GameYoureEditing.gba

Anywho, please keep in mind that this is a place for error reports, not general chat about the editor.  Atrius can give updates on the reports, but let's try to keep this place free of clutter, guys.