News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Error Reports

Started by thenightsshadow, 08, June, 2009, 09:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Eeeeh, generic walmart copy.  Sadly, I lack PCIe slots.  Graphics =/= good. At least not by today's standards.

Gareth

I hope I'm not wasting your time
but it does seem to be the enemy editing that messes it up

Salanewt

I seem to be having a strange problem, which I assume has come as a result of both text and class editing.

Step 1: I duplicate the Swordsman Class (Venus version).

Step 2: I try to give it to DK, but he ends up becoming a ? class that I created long ago (also one that I did not intend to use for a while).

Step 3: I change its element level requirements, but it still happens.

Step 4: I rename it "Egg Sage" to see if I am seeing the correct class (both this class and the Swordsman class have Thorn, so I wanted to double check), and then then I play again.

Step 5: This happened:

Also, DK usually has an element level of Venus 5, and I first started doing this test when I tried to give him a Mercury djinni. Renaming Egg Sage back to "?" will undo this strange bug. I should also mention that this unused class of mine has a level of 3 for each element, so DK is short of 2 Mercury, 3 Mars, and 3 Jupiter when he gets it.

Thank you in advance, and I hope that this bug can be fixed when it is most convenient to you.

Have a nice day.

P.S. The "Chimp" that you might see is an actual class of DK's, and he can get it easily with no problems. I just noticed that it came up for some reason.

Edit: Oh, and this "Egg Sage" class is supposed to be class 6 in the editor, coming after the Squire set.

Edit 2: I should also mention that I checked the "Party 2" box, because this is required to give Party 2 more classes. The number that I get for it is 23 though.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Yikes, I'll look into it when possible, I may ask for a patch though.

I ran countless tests on the text replacement code, I can't believe there would still be bugs with it after how much I abused it!  Apparently it wasn't enough though...
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

To be honest, I think that it is more of a class issue than anything, although I can not tell for sure. I can give you a patch right now if you want, so you can download it when you plan on looking at the glitch. Only the name change is required for that one class slot, and it will mess up all of their class names.

So you should be able to see the error as soon as you gain Jenna/Peach. She is supposed to be a "Maiden" at first, but I just noticed that it changes it to "Damsel" (at least for me).

I think you abused it enough. It almost seems like a problem with grabbing the class pointers or something, though I can not tell for sure. I mean, I can give DK a class that nobody should be able to gain until a character has 9 djinn.

Thank you in advance.

Have a nice day.

Edit: I seem to have a new error, having to do when I replace items. I am not really sure if this is an error with the editor, game, or if it my own cause, but the store calls this one item by its previous name and description. On top of that, when I buy it, it has the old name and description as well. I tried leaving the town, but it was still the same. It is odd, as it saves the correct names in the editor (and reopening it shows them being correct).

The icon, price, and effect/use saved properly, luckily. Thank you in advance.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Salanewt

And another, sorry about this news Atrius. On the positive side, these sorts of things can help you perfect your editor, right? Unlike the class one, I have no idea how this happened (and it seemed fine this morning).

As you can tell, the text in the editor is fine, but it shows up as DK in the game (this also happens with three of his spells (two at the time of the picture), and one of Toad's). I am starting to think that these errors do not have anything to do with the text, but instead how the game reads the pointers. As far as I can tell, only the name is affected. I also think that it only affects each spell up to #80 (Tempest), as all of the normal ones are higher than the DK spells.

Oh, and switching party members does not seem to change the names at all. It seems to be stuck with DK.

Have a nice day.

Edit: A bit odd too, now that I think about it. I did not have this problem earlier, so it must just have happened recently, either when I left without noticing, lunch, or within the past 20 minutes.

Atrius (He/Him)

>_<

All of this is in the same hacked copy of the game?  Just post a patch that contains all of it then.

EDIT: Also, try disabling "Automatic IPS Patching" in VBA under Options > Emulator
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Same copy, unfortunately. I am horrible at remembering to back up my hacks.

I have just disabled it now (again, since I could have sworn that I did so over a year ago), and here is the updated patch. I still see the DKs though.

Have a nice day.

Wait, it... works now? Thanks Atrius! I guess there is no point of uploading the patch again. Considering that it is all over now, would you be so kind as to tell me exactly what that was supposed to do? I mean the patching.

Atrius (He/Him)

If you've created a patch of your hack with the same name as the ROM stored in the same directory, and have automatic IPS patching enabled in VBA it will overwrite some of the new data with data from the older patch.  Often this makes it so things you edit don't change at all, but it can also cause some weird glitches in some instances.  Also make sure that you're reloading the ROM in VBA each time you make an edit and want to test it.

Salanewt

So that is what it does... okay, thanks again Atrius! I always reload it, but I was not aware that the patch was in the same folder ( :um:). Oh, and how are the map glitches coming along? Speaking of which, is there a reason why the world map never loads?

Have a nice day.

Atrius (He/Him)

Sorry, I've been busy, it'll have to wait till this weekend.

jet3

When messing around with the abilities, any change I make corrupts the .gba file.  So when I start the game in the emulator a white screen pops up.

Atrius (He/Him)

Is this in GS 1, or TLA, and are you editing the ability names as well?

jet3

I'm editing GS1 only for now, and the only thing I did was change Quakes power from 12 to 13. In testing the editor I found that changes in the abilities tab resulted in corruption where as in the other tabs I have not experienced this yet. I also tested to see if a single name change in abilities corrupted and it did.

I don't know how far text editing has developed but certain combinations to text changes brings an error up in the editor

"cannot compress string with current compression tables"

it also says table rewritting isn't supported yet so I guess its a current limitation to texting. For example I changed a charaters name to vex, it was ok, but vexx the editor didn't like, vexe it was ok with, very strange. It seems like it doesn't like certain combinations of text changes.

Atrius (He/Him)

Yikes, I see whats causing the corruptions in GS1, I'll have that fixed right away.  I'll even add some code that should repair that corruption for you when you open up that ROM in the fixed release.

As for text editing, that's not really an error per se, just a limitation that will eventually be worked around.  The way the text compression format works it just doesn't like it when you put certain letters beside each other, in fact it makes it so that it's impossible for it to compress the string at all with the current compression tables.  For example having 'xx' anywhere in a string might cause problems, but 'xe' could be just fine.  Eventually once the format of those compression tables is cracked they can be rewritten, and this limitation could be removed.

Version 0.3 fix 2 is out now which should resolve the following problems:

- Sprite display issues some users were experiencing fixed
- GS1 corruption from using ability editor fixed (Will also automatically repair corrupted ROMs caused by this glitch)
- "Unknown variable ccx" error in map viewer fixed
- an "Error reading byte" glitch fixed in map viewer
- Layer sorting issues in map viewer fixed
- Hex editor now remembers it's location when switching between map viewer utilities
- Arrow keys now work for scrolling through enemy group list

Gareth, from reviewing your patch it appears you were experiencing the GS1 ability editor corruption error, this version should automatically repair that for you.

Salanewt, I just realized I never answered your question about the World Map.  Because it's so large it's stored in a very different format from the rest of the maps, the editor is still incompatible with this format.

thenightsshadow

for object obj_textfield:

In script string_get_next_linebreak:
Error in code at line 17:
   { pos=string_length(tstr)+posprev; }
                             ^
at position 28: Unknown variable posprev

for object obj_textfield:

In script string_get_next_linebreak:
Error in code at line 17:
   { pos=string_length(tstr)+posprev; }
                             ^
at position 28: Unknown variable posprev

for object obj_eDjinni:

Error in code at line 3:
   WRITE_UINT(global.file,ability)
                          ^
at position 25: Unknown variable ability

====

I'm not sure what's causing these errors.
Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

Atrius (He/Him)

I am...   Luckily they're nothing major, just really annoying, if you just click 'Ignore' when those errors pop up it shouldn't cause any problems.  Still though, they'll be taken care of in the next release.

Awec

Not sure if this has been mentioned before (or if it's intentional or not) but I've found that you can't set the abilities for classes to over number 255, at least on the original Golden Sun. For some reason if I set it to something like for instance, the power bread ability, it simply reverts to Earthquake and similar things happen for the other values.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Atrius (He/Him)

Yeah... The original Golden Sun's data is formatted poorly in some cases, that being one of them.  It's not an error with the editor, it's actually a limitation due to the way things were done for the original Golden Sun.  The input fields in the editor are programmed to reflect the value limitations in TLA, not GS, and there are differences in a few places.  I suppose it wouldn't be that difficult to have it reflect the differences though.

Gareth

Awesome, thanks so much Atrius!
This is great =)
:Menardi: