News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Error Reports

Started by thenightsshadow, 08, June, 2009, 09:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenightsshadow

Would this explain why Fever's replacement in my hack keeps on trying to attack Ivan instead of healing the party?  (Example @ 1:04)

Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

Salanewt

The error with the stats might be in the editor, which treat the stats as unsigned values. However, as the enemy stats are signed, you have to divide it by half to get the actual cap (so FFFF would be 7FFF, which is 32767). If you go higher than that, it will treat the value as a negative number, instantly killing them if they take damage.

By the way, I am not sure if 0.3 still treats them as unsigned values, but I know that 0.2 does.

Have a nice day.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

That's an interesting one, TNS, TLA does the exact same thing.  I can't find anything on the editor's end that might cause that though.  I'm gonna have to dig into the game's code to see what's going on there.

Vladu, I knew there was something I was forgetting to fix for v0.3.  This is why I hate it when people post problems outside of the error reports thread, if I forget to write them down I can't find them again.  If I recall GS does something else weird with the values that lowers the maximum to below even 32767.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Awec

I've noticed something odd in the class editor.
Because of my switch-around of Isaac and Ivan, I've had to go through all the classes and switch them too.
And for some reason, the Ninja and Disciple classes (with their new class type index of 9) check the "Auto" box.
I've tried unchecking it, but it just checks again when I change what class I'm viewing.
Not really a problem since the class type index doesn't change, but it is annoying.
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Atrius (He/Him)

The auto setting isn't actually saved, it just decides whether or not to check it when you select a class based on whether or not the type value matches what it should be based on the elemental requirements.  The only purpose that it serves at all is to automatically set that type value when you change the elemental requirements for the class.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Awec

Another 2 things for Golden Sun 1:
1) The classification of shields and armour is reversed; Shields show up as 'chest protectors' and armour shows up as 'Armor/Shields'. Mistake, the game's jumbled data or with reason?
2) A load of the animations have *Crashes game* next to the name, however I have made one of these work (specifically animation 134).
I think it might be something to do with the value next to the box, if that makes any sense.
On that topic, is Atrius working on adding in animation editing (or at least viewing) and if so, what's the status on it?
I. Am. A. Spoon.
Yes, a spoon that is awesome that is a Jupiter adept that is one of the Anemos that lives on the freaking moon.
What of it?

Max

I've been doing experiments with foreign language versions of the games, and have run into two problems:

• Classes strings are broken for foreign languages, showing item names instead of the class names. I believe this is because the pointer to classes strings is an extra 4 bytes (1x uint) earlier than it is in the English ROM; it looks like the items string pointer is then duplicated (which is why items/abilities/maps don't break), although for at least German the two item string pointers produce slightly different strings (plural, maybe?) (Spanish and French appear identical though). Should be an easy fix to make.
  • Japanese strings are almost all broken. I think I remember seeing this as a known issue, but in case you had forgotten. Any idea if/when this might make it into a future release?

Good work on 0.3!

Atrius (He/Him)

@Max, Yeah... I haven't been paying foreign language support as much attention as I should be, although the language.ini file does serve it's purpose much better now than in v0.2.  I have been very much aware of the problem with the Japanese version specifically though, it's lacking a pointers to some text in the places where I found them in most other versions.  I'm planning on reworking how the editor locates many of the pointers at some point anyway so it depends more on the games code itself than it does on offsets/patterns programmed into the editor.

@Awec,
1) Ahh... Yeah, that reminds me that I've been meaning to replace that text for a while now.  Since v0.1 it's been loaded from the game in the order it has it stored in, but it's not really that accurate for some of them. 
2) Another thing I realized was a problem after releasing v0.2 but forgot to fix.  I need to keep my to-do lists better updated...  I don't think the numbers are actually corresponding to the animation data exactly, they're offset by like 1 or something.

Animations are actually programmed into the game, short of sticking an emulator into the editor (Which I do NOT plan to do) there's no good way to display them.

thenightsshadow

Quote from: Atrius on 15, November, 2010, 04:08:15 PM
That's an interesting one, TNS, TLA does the exact same thing.  I can't find anything on the editor's end that might cause that though.  I'm gonna have to dig into the game's code to see what's going on there.

Good to hear.  I thought it was going to be like that Briggs bug from v0.2 (where if you alter it once and try to alter it again it sticks to the former).

I better switch Aurora and something else, then.
Don't bug me too much.  After all, the 'shadow is always Sirius.

Atrius (He/Him)

I doubt the "Briggs bug" was the editor either, it was most likely either user error, or having "Automatic IPS Patching" turned on in VBA.  I didn't do anything to fix it at any rate.

Griever

I found this minor error, whenever i press end while editing a name (any name whether its item or character name) i get this error:

ERROR in
action number 2
of  Step Event
for object obj_textfield:

In script string_get_next_linebreak:
Error in code at line 17:
   { pos=string_length(tstr)+posprev; }
                             ^
at position 28: Unknown variable posprev

And since i didn't see anyone posting this i thought i might do so.

Atrius (He/Him)

Yeah, I've been aware of it for a little while now, it happens with any string that only uses only 1 line.  I've actually got a fix prepared for it already.

Atrius (He/Him)

Some effects only seem to work on either enemies, or party members, but not both.  That's probably one of them.  It's not really the editor's fault the game is programmed that way.  Regardless, I'll double check to make sure that's the case.

Max

I've noticed that saving palette-swapped sprites doesn't seem to work properly. Go to any sprite, switch to a palette >0, hit spacebar, Save Sprite, and then open the resulting file. Colors appear all glitched.

Atrius (He/Him)

Hit spacebar, Save Sprite?...  Daww... I didn't even mean to leave that in there for the release version yet.  The .gif exporter has more problems than just dealing with palette swaps right now, it's still a work in progress.

Salanewt

Minor problem really, but I can not move NPCs to lower levels on maps. For example, in Apojii, I can not put the kids back onto the sandy beach area unless I change their coordinates in NPC editing mode. I try to drag them over the cliffs, they are always red. I try to drag them down the stairs, and they still blush more than Jenna can. It is a minor problem though, since I can still put them down there. However...

Have a nice day.

Edit: And now I can not move them around on the sand, unless I continue with manually typing in coordinate values.

Edit 2: I have another minor one. While there are no problems when changing the text, the editor keeps trying to give the text pointers of NPCs 0 (on each map) to NPCs 1, so changing those will change the text of NPCs 0. When I save, it overwrites the text of the corresponding NPC in NPCs 0. It does nothing to the NPCs in set 1, aside from showing the text/scripts of NPC set 0 as their own. Closing the editor does nothing, unfortunately. If you need pictures, I can try my best to get some.

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Hmm... The beach there must be on a different height map layer from the rest of the map, interesting...  They turn red whenever you try to put them in a location that it can't make sense of with the height map data.  Normally an NPC's Y coordinate is a lot further down on the map than where it actually appears, but the game raises it up to match the height of the map at that location.  If the editor can't find a spot on the map that would raise the NPC up to where you're trying to put it, than the NPC would actually appear either higher, or lower in game if it tried to save it's location to there.

NPC dialogue pointers are in the Event sets, are you switching those to the match the NPC set you're trying to edit?

Salanewt

1: I used to be able to move them around on the beach (I think), but then it wouldn't allow me to when I moved them up onto the harder land. I can still relocate them if I manually edit the coordinates, so it seems to be fine. Of course, it will not allow me to drag them on the beach at all now, so I am not sure if I could earlier.

2: That was the problem, thanks!

Have a nice day.

MaxiPower

Getting an error upon opening editor

"ERROR in
action number 1
of Trigger Event: Trigger0
for object obj_circle:

Error defining an external function."

Its a freshly downloaded version on this new computer, windows 7 the OS, any ideas?

Atrius (He/Him)

It's an error initializing a function in GSdatahandler.dll, so firstly make sure it's being extracted to the program folder when you run the editor.

Also try installing the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (32-bit, 64-bit)  I only recently realized it has a dependency to it, and although most people already have the Visual C++ redistributable installed since it's a fairly common requirement for programs, it actually doesn't come preinstalled on some newer computers.