News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Error Reports

Started by thenightsshadow, 08, June, 2009, 09:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

I can confirm this - I got equally strange results when testing my raw patch - and I know it's not the patche's fault.  Everything is checking out fine in the editor itself, but there's no way in hell Mia shouldn't be able to reach Ranger class with 3 Mars and 3 Jupiter djinn.  Atrius, you need to check the class editing on the editor, it might be the 2nd party patch that's doing this.  I'm glad Lishy brought this to my attention, because I wasn't testing the lower tier classes when working on this stuff.  Even in the template I'm working on for 10 djinn classes, it's doing this, and I'm only halfway done with just the Venus character's classes.

Edit:  I take that back.  I can still hit ninja in that test, which I've not edited out yet, so it may have to do with the values that we have yet to figure out what they do.  Atrius, I'm gonna need you to go in there and figure out what the hell's going on with that, because it SHOULD work, but it's not.  We may need you to figure out what that unknown value is in the lower left and right fields are in the class editor.

Edit2:  Lish did some testing, and those values didn't seem to affect anything.  Atrius, I'm gonna need to need you to go into the code and fix this stuff.  At least there's some good news out of this, though - my branching classes test?  The data I collected for it is now useless thanks to this problem, so it still may be possible if the class editor gets fixed.  I'll have to retest it, so let's hope it'll work.

Mion Sonozaki

Rolina

Here's both patches, using 0.4.2.  The patch that uses 0.3.X is in the downloads section, and has the same problems (I tested on high-end classes, which it's fine on.  Lower-tier classes, such as Ninja, aren't accessible for some reason).

ThanatosTheDark

I get these error reports too. I usually get them when i change an item icon. It usually appears near the bottom of the icon list, for that i click ignore twice and it doesn't bother me until I change another icon. I also see it during map altering (lets just call it that.) If I'm editing for too long, it pops up and i can't get rid of it, forcing me to restart the editor and making me lose progress.
I am nothing more than a nothingness that never was.

Rolina

Quote from: Role on 13, August, 2011, 01:45:47 AM
Here's both patches, using 0.4.2.  The patch that uses 0.3.X is in the downloads section, and has the same problems (I tested on high-end classes, which it's fine on.  Lower-tier classes, such as Ninja, aren't accessible for some reason).
I've noticed that each class starts on a 10 mark - does that have anything to do with the reason the condensing of the classes is screwing up tri-element classes?  Could it be something to do with the actual position of the classes themselves?

Rolina

That's a known error - the compression for text needs to be fixed - it's ridiculous right now, as even canon text will trigger this if you go to edit it and change your mind.

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Role on 13, September, 2011, 11:44:43 PM
That's a known error - the compression for text needs to be fixed - it's ridiculous right now, as even canon text will trigger this if you go to edit it and change your mind.

First I've heard of it.  Nice to hear about it now so that I know I need to fix it.

I recall programming in that error message, and am fairly certain I had also programmed it to revert the changes so that it was as if you hadn't tried to edit the string at all if it occurred.  Seems like something's still being changed though...  Anyway, it occurs when the string is successfully compressed, but an error occurred while trying to insert it into the ROM for whatever reason.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

...?  No, this sounds like just common compression problems we've had since the text editor came out.  If I'm wrong, though, oh well, but to me it kinda sounds like the same kind of frustration I've had to deal with at times thanks to the text compression.

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm pretty sure that since I programmed the error messages into the editor I know that "Error replacing string" has a very different cause from "Cannot compress string with current compression tables"

"Cannot compress string" can only mean one thing, the text compression tables wouldn't allow the string to be compressed.

"Error replacing string" is a bit more vague, but can only be triggered after a successful compression has taken place.  It just means that somewhere during the proccess of sticking that compressed data into the ROM something went wrong.  There are a surprisingly large number of steps to that process, so there's a lot that could go wrong.  The only thing it knows for sure is that what it meant to stick in there didn't make the trip successfully.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Ah, I see.  Thanks for clarifying.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Did you know when you keep the editor open for long periods of time, it begins to take up a lot of memory? (Like over night for example.) Though, I believe my computer ended up going standby/hibernation/whatever at some time..

I come back to notice the editor had a black screen, and in the task manager it was up to like 1,800,000 K memory. I closed the editor to get this error:

Quote___________________________________________
ERROR in
action number 1
of Other Event: Game End
for object obj_editor_sys:

Cannot locate string: savechanges

I don't think it is anything much to worry about, in my opinion, but I'm just making sure if this is something game maker is known for or not...

As far as GML goes, do you think maybe there is a way to dispose of any unused resources?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

There is for some stuff, but not everything.

Sounds like a pretty bad memory leak, though I can't imagine what the editor could be leaking while just sitting there...  I do sometimes test for leaks by switching between interfaces in the editor a lot since that would be when they're most likely to occur, but I can't say I've ever just left it run overnight to.

I know that if your computer goes to sleep or something like that with the editor open it may have a black screen when you return to it, but it should automatically fix itself within a couple seconds.  Sometimes it also throws a lot of error messages that say it doesn't have enough permissions or something like that.  As far as I can tell it's something to do with Game Maker when that happens, when you close all the error messages the editor still works fine.

Darkest ivan

The map index shows conversations of game. This happens with the spanish rom of Golden Sun 1.

Atrius (He/Him)

Again?  I thought I fixed that once already...  Or, maybe I did for TLA but never checked the original GS...

Aile~♥

So. Somehow the editor managed to corrupt a ROM to the point that the editor won't recognize it as a GS ROM. I have no idea how this happened: All I did was take a hack someone had made (all he did was increase the number of turns each enemy gets) and went to change the stats given by Djinn so that all the Djinn found by Felix's party during TLA gave +4 PP as their only stat increase. I also had modified a few abilities and created a new class, as well as modify the elemental levels and innate abilities of some characters.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

I can confirm this.  That's happened to me as well.  It doesn't happen often, granted, but occasionally it does.  Usually just re-patching a clean rom should work (dunno why, but it does...)

Atrius (He/Him)

Making a patch of the broken ROM, and applying it to a clean one fixes it?

I'd like to see a patch either way.

Aile~♥

Will do next time I have access to a Windows machine.

Rolina

no no no, as in reapplying the patch you used first onto a clean rom.  Basically, starting over.

Aile~♥

Well, this is interesting. Having a character start with no elemental attributes and changing a class so that it should take the place of NPC and running it in VBA apparently causes the game to randomly scramble all the text in regards to Psynergy descriptions.