Golden Sun Hacking Community
January 17, 2018, 06:59:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Debate: Lock the debates forum....  (Read 2431 times)

Coins: 0

« on: October 20, 2014, 04:57:13 AM »

Here's a debate for ya: Should we lock the debates forum?

I say yes, and here is my case:

1. It turns users against each other. Toxicity is not something we want to happen in a small community like ours, dedicated to the documentation and customization of our favorite GBA RPG. Instead of dividing us with something stupid as the debates forum, we need things which unite us to the common goal, and help each other out.

2. What is the point of the debates forum? Typically things like this exist for either fun, or social change, but I am not seeing much fun here, nor' am I expecting social change from a Golden Sun hacking community which comprises of mostly kids and computer nerds. Seriously, why are we debating things like government policy, in a place like this? Take it to the ronpaulforums, or some other political community.

3. This forum is not moderated enough to even sustain such debates.

4. It's stupid. It's just really stupid. This is a Golden Sun hacking forum, WHY are we debating politics? The equivalant would be going to an anime convention, and talking about abortion. Please, no. That is stupid, and this is stupid.

I come to GSHC to mod Golen Sun and relax from the world. I don't need stupid politics cluttering up my forum feed.

It really seems like nothing good can come from the Debates forum, in a community like this. I propose that it be removed.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:08:15 AM by Lishy » Logged
View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:13:52 AM »

Yeah I agree, let's close it, it is not like many of us are interest in politics and have time for that time of debate which does not even belong here but in page like Americans agaisnt the libertarian party.

1 Yes it does, well that is not evitable in debates, as one try to prouve its point of views. but still there is no need to show such anger in responses. after all, others people in debate never understand what I means even if I try to explain them 100 times... but i never grew angry on them... not in forum, at least.

2 there is no point, except fr those who loves political subjects.

3 well that is to be excepted in a small communauty,

4 why are we even debatting this ? we should close down the forum, like right now.
View Profile

I am: reading.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:45:39 AM »

OBJECTION!

If you close the debate forum where will all the debatable topics go?  Answer: The other forums.

What will you do when that happens?

A: Allow them

B: Erase or lock them

If you picked option B, what will be done to prevent further debates from violators or other members?

A: Punishment

B: Nothing

Neutral Suggestion: If a thread in the debate forum is truly getting out of hand you can lock it instead of shutting down the entire forum.
View Profile

Novice Member

I am: staring at the numbers at Hex Editor, rapidly losing my sanity and mind in the process.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:51:04 AM »

For some (or several, I really don't know) reasons, I agree with Wolf.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:08:33 AM by Succubus » Logged
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 11:01:23 AM »

I am with Wolf. We should keep the Debates. I actually once had an idea with moving all arguments in other forums to this forum instead of deleting them.  Mostly for reference purposes, though.  So Debates would still be monitored.

For those who wanted to get rid of it, it'd probably be better to just have a rule stating "No arguing over Politics and Religion." , since those may seem extremely controversial and easily lead to walls of text most people probably don't care to read about. The exception could be if it's Golden Sun related, maybe.

I'm sorry, but I didn't mean for my "To Kill A Something" to be such an offensive topic... I simply thought it'd be interesting to see people's views/get some activity. Somehow, though, we end up reading views that totally contradict what we think, and then back-lashing happens. I think the way it should work is.. "That's your view; thanks for sharing!" ... instead of "That's your view; let me fix it!" ; Although, when one doesn't understand the other person, I guess asking questions can be fine, as long as you are respectful about it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 11:38:40 AM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 03:47:11 PM »

I am with Wolf. We should keep the Debates. I actually once had an idea with moving all arguments in other forums to this forum instead of deleting them.  Mostly for reference purposes, though.  So Debates would still be monitored.

For those who wanted to get rid of it, it'd probably be better to just have a rule stating "No arguing over Politics and Religion." , since those may seem extremely controversial and easily lead to walls of text most people probably don't care to read about. The exception could be if it's Golden Sun related, maybe.

I'm sorry, but I didn't mean for my "To Kill A Something" to be such an offensive topic... I simply thought it'd be interesting to see people's views/get some activity. Somehow, though, we end up reading views that totally contradict what we think, and then back-lashing happens. I think the way it should work is.. "That's your view; thanks for sharing!" ... instead of "That's your view; let me fix it!" ; Although, when one doesn't understand the other person, I guess asking questions can be fine, as long as you are respectful about it.

that is not due to the subject, we could talk about the taxes and such thing would happen too.
it is people do not have the same conception of the same argument, and someone is becoming without any reason.
She uses some arguments I believe are not acceptable.

this may happen in any debate, no only in politics.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 04:01:52 PM »

This may happen in any debate, no only in politics.
This is true, but I was saying that politics and religion are vast categories that often invite needless boring debates.

Also, taxes is a political topic...

To summarize: If you're going to have a debate, why choose politics and religion?

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 04:42:02 PM »

This may happen in any debate, no only in politics.
This is true, but I was saying that politics and religion are vast categories that often invite needless boring debates.

Also, taxes is a political topic...

To summarize: If you're going to have a debate, why choose politics and religion?

Because I love politics and because politics is everywhere, although religion, I never discuss about it, I believe religion is a personnal affair.
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 05:15:20 PM »

Then... maybe we should have a separate Political section in the Debates forum, eh? One that's hidden from the Recent Posts list, maybe? ; Or; Just hide the Debates forum from the Recent Posts list?

And since you love politics so much:  If you were to put your own political system (or whatever) in a Golden Sun game, how would it work? (Preferably make a new topic if your answer is long, because this would be going off-topic.)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:23:05 PM by Fox » Logged

View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 05:48:59 PM »

Then... maybe we should have a separate Political section in the Debates forum, eh? One that's hidden from the Recent Posts list, maybe? ; Or; Just hide the Debates forum from the Recent Posts list?

And since you love politics so much:  If you were to put your own political system (or whatever) in a Golden Sun game, how would it work? (Preferably make a new topic if your answer is long, because this would be going off-topic.)

that will be long, very long, because the political need to complexe, I can't talk about it , since we are discutting the possibility of closing the debate forum.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 12:45:05 AM »

Debates are meaningless if people refuse to read the posts in question, and make snap replies without actually attempting to understand what the other person is trying to say.  Especially now that politically headed subjects are starting to be "discussed" (and of course, by discussed, I mean people are basically being called scum for false claims about their opinions), I think it's a good idea to shut down and lock it.

View Profile WWW
Kain
The Dragoomba
Administrator

Boom Daze

Great Member

Coins: 1

Clan Position: Luna Overlord

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 12:51:07 AM »

I'm just going to be blunt.

Stupid topic.  Stupid question.  I can't believe it was even suggested.  Debates are here to stay and this topic is locked.

You misspelled retard...oh the irony!
View Profile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Yesterday at 08:44:56 PM
Fox: I must say... life can be complicated..... when you have question(s) (via email) ... and it seems like they sort of get ignored. :D ; Fun, (And sometimes, a person may respond, and completely not answer the question.... so like... 3-person conversation.) Hahahaha!!
January 15, 2018, 07:26:16 PM
Fox: (path) 1 text=(address) char=(address) free=(address) ; << Well, closer to this... but yeah... even if I do choose to have defaults in the code, I could still use this method for overrides.
January 15, 2018, 07:24:28 PM
Fox: So like (path) 0 text=(address) char=(address) len=(number) ; (path) 1 free=(address) ; Or something. But that's just a quick example.
January 15, 2018, 06:59:14 PM
Fox: Hopefully. I was wanting to make it so you could put in the addresses/etc. as one of the arguments in the path. Hm?
January 15, 2018, 03:37:07 PM
KyleRunner: Nice! I hope you'll add compatibility with others games (GS1, Mario Golf and Tennis) soon.
January 14, 2018, 11:40:09 PM
Fox: Okay. Posted (in Downloads section) an initial cutdown version for now, for my text compressor. Basically to separate the code from my Editor for anyone who wants to mess with it. It only supports GS2, because I still didn't add the addresses/etc. for the other games.
January 14, 2018, 05:01:00 PM
Fox: Okay! Going to need to think how I want it to work. Initial thoughts is maybe have a number of arguments in the filepath thing. And have a number of shortcuts (files) to be used as examples. Assuming there are no problems.
January 14, 2018, 10:38:24 AM
KyleRunner: Well... I'm used to editing text ina a text editor, so... yes! Thanks in advance!
January 13, 2018, 11:38:43 PM
Fox: (Text editor = Text Document like notepad.)
January 13, 2018, 11:38:21 PM
Fox: Would you prefer during the text editing in a text editor? (Like what gstoolkit lets you do?) I could probably make a separate tool or something to compress it.
January 13, 2018, 10:10:02 PM
KyleRunner: Ok. Once I finish my Lost Age translation, I'll try a Mario Golf one. Thanks. (But I'll need help).
January 13, 2018, 10:03:17 PM
Fox: If you want to make it "permanent" (part of a hack), then you'd edit code in the ROM that writes to this location of the IDs you'd want to change. (You can find these locations by using a breakpoint debugger like SDL-H or no$gba.)
January 13, 2018, 10:00:11 PM
Fox: Reload/switch = Recommended to be done through Debug mode/warp menu, ofcourse... since doors seem to appear as if they were disabled? ; 03001238:01 and B+Start to get to warp menu.
January 13, 2018, 09:55:39 PM
Fox: @Kyle Runner = It might be, but you'd have to use the correct addresses for Mario Golf, rather than for GS2 as I have it right now. ; @raijinken = Yes. 02000454 = ID of leader. (Change this and reload/switch room you are in, enjoy.)
January 13, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
raijinken: Hey guys, is it possible to somehow change the lead character on the map? Was wondering. I remember there was a cheat to use Jenna, but what if I wanted Isaac, or Piers?
January 13, 2018, 02:10:03 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, Fox *
January 13, 2018, 02:09:37 PM
KyleRunner: Hey, is your text editor compatible with Mario Golf (GBA)?
January 11, 2018, 08:33:13 PM
Fox: But if it isn't an oversight, I still can't imagine it being that useful.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:24 PM
Fox: part, ofcourse.
January 11, 2018, 08:28:15 PM
Fox: 0200274C = Hmm... Stuff happens here when you use Cyclone around bushes. (These cause tile replacements, and setting event 0 to those tiles.) - And I guess this kept here so it can be scanned after battle. (To re-update the map.) So here is my fun thought (assuming if it is even possible, or even convenient if so.) ... Are there any events from other maps that could be disabled do to using Cyclone on bushes + Retreat glitch? I'll need to do some testing to make sure this isn't an oversight on my

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise