News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Fantasy Life

Started by Rolina, 24, October, 2014, 09:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

So, I just picked this up.  It's a pretty cute game from Level 5.  From what I've played so far, I'm liking it, though I'm still in the very early parts of the game.  Anyone else playing this?

I'm a Level 2 Magician so far.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

QuoteAnyone else playing this?
No, but it does sound like an interesting title.

"Magician"? Does this have permanent starter class setups...?

Just took a quick check, and it looks like it's for the 3DS... so I guess it's not a free PC game, oh well. (Would have been cool if it was something like RuneScape with a Free and Members versions.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

What?  I thought it didn't come out until next week for some reason, time to go check the eShop I guess.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Menaus

I dun have a 3DS, but the game looks fairly interesting. Right now I'm mostly play Dota 2, and other various PC titles.
"You state that I have misinterpreted my results, and it looks as though you believe my views to be unsound. Your arguments are those of an eminent scholar. I was myself a fair scholar. For years I pondered, so to speak, day and night over books, and filled my head with sound views–very sound ones, indeed—those of others. But I could no[t] get to practical results. I then began to work and think independently. Gradually my views became unsound, but they conducted me to some sound results." - Nikola Tesla

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I don't have a 3DS, either. I can see a chance of myself looking into getting one in the next few years, MAYBE! But then again, console generations might change that.

...anyway, right now, my eye won't stop twitching since like yesterday.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Atrius (He/Him)

Well, the New 3DS is scheduled for 2015.

I'm enjoying Fantasy Life so far, it's different.  If you go into it expecting something similar to a traditional RPG game you'll probably be disappointed.  So far it kinda feels like they made a game just out of side quests, gathering, and crafting.  There does seem to be a main story here, but the emphasis is more on living your life in a fantasy game.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Rolina

Okay, so... I'm level 23 now.

Magician is Adept Rank
Tailor is Apprentice Rank
Alchemist is Adept Rank
Miner is Adept Rank
Lumberjack is Adept Rank
Carpenter is Adept Rank
Blacksmith is Adept Rank

So far... I kind of agree with the guy going through it over in Siliconera.  It's a lot of fun... until the game makes you do more story missions.  Then it's kind of a "fine, geez, just let me go to the next area already" kind of thing.  So long bursts of fun, followed by frustration when you hit a cap.

My personal approach to this is a lot like the Summon Knight Swordcraft Story games - I've got the other jobs to supplement my Magician job in order to get new equipment and tools.  How are y'all approaching the game?

Atrius (He/Him)

So far I'm level 14.

Hunter:      Adept
Miner:      Apprentice
Woodcutter:   Apprentice
Angler:      Apprentice
Tailor:      Apprentice
Alchemist:      Fledgling

I'm still working on getting all of the gathering/crafting classes just to learn the skills, I like to play through the job tutorials since they have a nice story and you get to know some of the characters.

Honestly, it seems really pointless to have the jobs separated the way they are.  All of the skills transfer over, and once you've learned them you can use the associated weapon/tool in any other job (aside from a few rare exceptions).  After finishing the tutorial quest for a job the only time I feel like I have to return to it is to rank it up, other than that I can just use any of the skills while in my main combat job (Hunter right now, might try the others later)

It was kind of annoying when I had to do butterfly's requests to activate the next part of the main story, and they were all just touring the town to show me stuff I'd already figured out on my own.  Ignoring what it takes to activate them, the main story quests themselves have been enjoyable so far though.

Rolina

Aye, tell me about it.  By the way, how's Hunter?

As for wizard, you can choose one of four elements to use, though I'm not quite satisfied with how it's done at times. 

There's two buttons for attacks, with two levels of charge so far that I've seen so far - one for focused attacks, the other for area attacks.  The problem I have is with the approach - wind is about multiple hits, charge ice just hits a conical area with no increase in damage, and fire is the only one that has a notable damage increase, though it's likely more efficient not to charge.  Earth?  Earth is just plain healing, that's it.

Personally, I think I'd like it more if there was a separate button for focused, area, and support.  That way I could actually level up earth.  Also, Charged Area Wind is way too useful.  Like, brokenly so.  Also, elemental weaknesses are a bit too bipolar - either they're glaringly obvious, or they're hardly noticable.  I usually just default to wind unless obvious weakness is obvious.

Also, DAMMIT I WANT MORE ROBES.  I've yet to come across anything from the tailor or blacksmith that works like magic robes.  Just armor and basic clothing - nothing really fits my class so far, so I'm just speccing out with my gear rather than picking stuff I really like.  I really want an upgraded version of my life's basic gear... T-T

Atrius (He/Him)

It doesn't seem like there's really any class specific gear besides the newbie stuff.

For hunter you also have two attack buttons, normal and strong attack with two levels of charge each.  The standard charged attack can be set to one of four types of arrows: Normal, Stun, Sleep and Poison.  I haven't experimented a whole lot, but some enemies seem immune to stun, and poison is kinda weak too.  The strong charged attack is a spray of arrows that basically functions as a cone AoE in front of you.  There's also a special attack that charges up as you hit enemies where you shoot arrows into the air, and everything around you gets hit. I end up mostly sticking with normal attacks which have up to a 5-strike combo if you time the last two button presses right.  The 5th strike being a spray of arrows thats more focused than the charged strong attack.

Rolina

With me, the charged Wind and Water AoEs are good, and the basic fire attack is great.  I've killed my own bounties more than I'd like to say using basic wind, though.  The button used to change targets in this game... should be a shoulder button, to be honest.  I never remember to use it.  For Earth magic, I usually just stick to a charged normal attack.  AI allies are too stupid to understand basic survival skills.  And Hypocritical - I saw the princess run up and attack the napdragon.  Had to run like hell to get out of there.