News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

30-day Cold Shower Challenge / Cold Shower Therapy

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 31, October, 2014, 11:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Has anyone tried to take a cold shower for five minutes? If so, have you done it for 30 days?

I was reading up on this stuff earlier... and well, there may have been discussion on health advantages...

Discuss away.
(Also, this is good timing, because Halloween.... well, dead bodies are cold, and cold showers are cold.  Although, that's beside the point.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

Quote from: Fox on 31, October, 2014, 11:51:08 PM
Has anyone tried to take a cold shower for five minutes? If so, have you done it for 30 days?
Well, I am taking pretty cold showers (32 degrees celcius) for easily more than a year. Sometimes I take a somewhat hotter shower, but it quickly becomes too hot. In other words, I am not used to hot showers anymore.

It's not for wealth, but more as a money saver.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

@"anymore": So I take it you used to have hot showers?

Was it hard for you to switch to cold when you first started?

@wealth: Typo of health, perhaps? Since wealth and money saver are too close to the same.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

Quote from: Fox on 01, November, 2014, 04:00:53 PM
@"anymore": So I take it you used to have hot showers?
That's correct.
Was it hard for you to switch to cold when you first started?
Yeah. But if you start when it's summer not.
@wealth: Typo of health, perhaps? Since wealth and money saver are too close to the same.
Lol. Indeed a typo.

So Fox, how about you? Do you take cold showers?
Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

QuoteYeah. But if you start when it's summer not.
Makes sense.

QuoteSo Fox, how about you? Do you take cold showers?
No, but the future is undecided.  Saw something on reddit about Cold Showers (Well, it wasn't exactly /about/ Cold Showers, but it had a mention.), and then somehow, I ended up looking into that thing... and there was even a video..

Funny thing is, I wouldn't had looked at reddit if it wasn't for me getting on FB, and seeing an unrelated post about something on Reddit which I might not bring up.  I looked, but didn't quite find what I wanted to.... But this FB thing, yeah, sounds horrible, I know.

The way that guy advertises it... makes it sound like a mission.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Luna_blade

Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Yes, I could.... But if I had done that instead, people would be more likely to miss it, and the question this topic asks would have fewer answers.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Luna_blade

Of rilets flowing down
Whispering all the time
Oreads fear the tread"

Lord Wolfram

even so....
This isn't video only for fun  right?
Fox did right thing to make it this way so we are discussing this Cold Shower Therapy.
Well once I tried this therapy but suddenly went ill and so I discovered that my health is weak.

Thanks.

It's all about progression... I assume it's 30-days because that's habit building... (If you want, you could start your New Years resolution to do 12 things for ~30 days, one thing for each month.... like some guy did of which I saw on some site.)

Hm... an illness? That sounds interesting, could you perhaps elaborate? (Ex: Did you use freezing cold water, or just somewhat cold? And was it a five minute shower, more or less?)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

I once tried telling myself that the coldness was mostly a psychological thing, and that I could stand to take some colder showers...
Tried entering straight away and not turning up the heat... however, after a few moments I turned purple and started shaking uncontrollably.
I concluded it was more than just psychological.
These days I only take warm showers ^_^

My guess is that it could be that your body hasn't adapted to it yet, it might be possible for you to adapt to it, though. (Or at least, get closer, anyway, I'm not sure if it can be fully done or not)

Most challenging things likely require practice to succeed.
If you're running the race, you might as well start running before hand, so that you can run farther.
If you need to lift something heavy, start lifting weights before hand, so you gain muscles.

But with temperature, your body would likely have to build resistance or something, I'm guessing.
-For example, you can get san tans / sun burns if you want... Maybe if you have plenty of sun tans over the years, your resistance to sun damage might go up? (I'm guessing, though.) ; I would recommend the sun tan over a sun burn.... Sun burns are horrible... (Read that it was inflammation, as well.). Might be worth keeping this in mind with the cold as well? Well, snow can give you frost bite, anyway.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Yeah, you're probably right. I have pretty poor tolerance for extreme temperatures in general, and it might not be such a bad idea to do something about that.

Not that I will. :3

Rolina

Tried this... to my irritation, the coldest my shower goes is lukewarm. =_=

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Misery on 03, November, 2014, 03:02:02 PM
Tried entering straight away and not turning up the heat... however, after a few moments I turned purple and started shaking uncontrollably.

Sounds like a great way to get hypothermia.  As much as people say there are health benefits to giving yourself hypothermia for five minutes every day, I'd like to wait until an official scientific study has been done on it.  Also my shower doesn't work right now, so I'd be immersing myself in an icy bath.

EDIT:
*Actually reads the website, and realizes it's about challenging yourself rather than any potential benefits*
Oh, well in that case, it's on.  I don't think the showers at the gym on base are physically capable of anything below boiling magma° half the time so it'll probably just be at home.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

But how long does it actually take to get serious hypothermia? I thought about that, but then well.. it's a quick shower, not a bath (unless you want it to be)... so you could easily just move out the way if you needed to. I think I also read some stuff about people feeling good when they get out, but, hmm... I didn't keep up with the quotes, so can't say verbatim.

The page you linked to says:

QuoteIs this medically safe?

People can survive hypothermia for thirty to sixty minutes. Your shower is not as cold as a frozen lake and you won't even get close to hypothermia. You can handle five minutes of being cold. If you must, have a space heater waiting for you when you get out.

And the health benefits? I think one was about the immune system... But I dunno. (Also, I read something about blood going to the organs instead of the skin surface like when you use hot water. Not sure what to believe about that, because I'm not a scientist...)

And what I'd like to say as being a reasonable strategy for people who want to "go easy":  If it's too cold, go the coldest you are willing to go, even if that's "warm"... and do that everyday until you are satisfied with the coldest your shower goes. (If you ever get there.) ; Who knows, you might barely notice a difference. (Well, I mean, less of a difference than just going straight to cold... but that's me making an assumption.) ; (Think of how when you put a frog in water. If it's hot, it jumps out. If it's not, you can slowly cook him.)

Progressive strategies are usually easier than jumping right in, right? And often smarter, too. Wouldn't want to take a bite more than you can chew.

*Forgets to check if hot/cold can affect aging... I know the sun can make you look older, though. (Like when people get age spots, for example) But at the same time, the sun provides Vitamin D. ;  And we usually stick stuff in the refrigerator so that they last longer... so that must mean cold slows down aging? :P Actually, I'd be dumb to assume that without more evidence.

@Rolina: Wait until winter (Jan?), maybe? Or is it always lukewarm?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

Quote from: Rolina on 04, November, 2014, 04:51:12 PM
Tried this... to my irritation, the coldest my shower goes is lukewarm. =_=

I want this shower.

Well, I guess you have an excuse to move closer to the equator, huh? (Rolina is located in Texas, I believe, so maybe that would be a good place to look for asylum.)

Ofcourse, I only say this jokingly, because lukewarm is just a knob or two away.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Misery

It's not like I want lukewarm water specifically, it just would be nice if 60% of the temperature range wasn't occupied by "hypothermia inducing"

Perhaps. I think it would be better if you could actually set the temperature... much like a thermostat, and ranging between two temperatures. It wouldn't start under 32, because that's like ice.... and that could result in nothing coming out, possibly. (If it's frozen.) ; And there would be a safe maximum, so you don't get "cooked."

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden