News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Zelda: Majora's Mask 3DS

Started by Atrius, 09, November, 2014, 11:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atrius (He/Him)

So... Everyone following the Zelda series probably already saw this coming for a while now, but it's official as of the 5th of November.

Having never beaten Majora's Mask (I didn't get the expansion pack for the N64), I'm pretty excited about it.  Although Eiji Aonuma's comments that it's "not going to be just another remake," and him saying "We've spent a lot of time making sure the gameplay experience is smoother than in the original version without taking away from this unique world. I hope those that haven't played the original game, and those of you that played it but gave up mid-way through will take this opportunity to give the new version a try." make me want to play the original game first so I can see what's different.  I wonder how much they plan on changing to make the game more accessible to people that didn't like the original version.  Some of them were turned off from the downsides of being forced to replay the same three days over and over again, but the way time flows and events unfold because of it are a major part of the original game.

Also, intentional or not, the Ben drowned creepypasta famed statue seen in the video still creeps me out, surely Nintendo is aware of it.  "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" I can already see the nightmares.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Majora

I'm definitely there with you.
I first played Majora's Mask when I was seven or so, and I initially didn't like it as much as I liked Ocarina Of Time, for reasons I couldn't quite place. After awhile, I would come back to it, but I still couldn't sum up the fortitude to beat it. However, over the years, I came to find a unique sense of holiness in Majora's Mask. It's now my favorite Legend Of Zelda game; essentially the one game I never beat. It's a tradition in my household to play it at least once a year. I definitely recommend playing the original through before the 3DS version.

I've come to find Majora's Mask to be a game that, to some, may appear awful and terrifying, but in truth, the game is full of goodness, hope, and faith. It has a deeper message to it, which I've come to appreciate over years of analyzing it in an attempt to discover exactly what it was about the game that was throwing me off. I recommend thinking of the game and its story in a biblical sense instead of a contemporary view; something Hylian Dan of Zelda Universe has done quite well in his theory on the meaning of Majora's Mask: http://www.zeldauniverse.net/2011/09/13/the-message-of-majoras-mask/:

Atrius (He/Him)

It's unsettling for more reasons than just the fact that the world is doomed over the course of the three days you're forced to play over and over again.  Not only do you witness the apocalypse in Termina if you fail to play the song that turns back time every so often, but each mask you unlock has a tragic back story.  As I recall they're all remnants of heroes that failed in their quests, all of them...  You don't feel like a hero that's making the world a better place as you progress, it's more like a series of tragic checkpoints that only make you more depressed as you unravel the mysteries of a doomed world.  Whether or not you can save the world doesn't seem to matter since all of these tragedies repeat every time you attempt to.  It's definitely the darkest Zelda game to date.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

It's like the Groundhog Day movie (Not sure if that's the name, but there may be many shows that follow the concept.) Pretty much, the difference was that the same day repeated without the need to play a song.

Isn't there a boss that you have to do at least twice?  (Forgot if the second time was just to complete a sidequest, but probably) and well... hopefully the new game won't require doing strange stuff like that. For everyone's sake, especially lazy people. ; If I recall correctly, I think it was the Stone Tower temple boss.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Wolf

That's just the tip of the iceberg as far as the grim part goes.  (Curses, abductions, aliens, an undead army, ninjas... The list goes on.)  The 3DS remake looks good so far.  I know at least one of the boss redesigns was made to make the boss look like it actually had a mask on and a Majora eye was placed inside the mouth.  If they don't renovate the creepy areas of the game like they did in the OoT remake it should be fine.  Play all of the side story missions throughout the game if you get it, but consider the difficulty reduction before upgrading Link's sword permanently.

Misery

You all may have convinced me to play Majora's Mask before Ocarina of Time.

...yes, it's true that I haven't played OoT.

charon the ferryman

people can't hear my squeals of joy because HYPE

Jesus Christ I am so happy they're coming out with this.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

I played Ocarina of Time (N64), first... And have played/beat the whole thing on the console when I was younger. I've always thought the two hardest parts were likely Dark Link in the water temple, and the Ganon after the castle falls.

When it came to Majoria's Mask, though. I think I ended up playing some in an emulator, I doubt I ever legitimately beat all of it.... and I remember even using cheats. (Probably about 10 years ago...? But I don't remember exactly when.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

You know, there's also the whole thing that it's about Link coming to terms with his own death.  I rather like that particular Theory...

Wolf

Some other notes:
:NeutralStar: This is the first LoZ game that allows Link to kill a citizen.
:NeutralStar: The formerly living source of the Deku Scrub curse can be found during the intro level of the game.  Apparently the antagonist killed him prior to Link's arrival.  A side story indirectly reveals who it was if completed.
:NeutralStar: Side story missions can be passed or failed often resulting in notable changes of the people involved or connected to it.  In some cases they can affect shops.
:NeutralStar: Resetting time will also reset side missions and dungeons adding plenty of replay value.
:NeutralStar: The bank in Clock Town will keep Link's rupees when time is reset.  This is good to know early on.  There's also an unlockable book in this town that will keep track of side mission progress and completion.

Atrius (He/Him)

I always thought the bank was a bit odd.  I mean you're basically stealing their money when you go back in time and make a withdrawal.

Also, I just saw this comic recently if you want more reason to feel sad about the story of Majora's Mask.

[spoiler=very tall image][/spoiler]

Majora

Yes indeed, Rolina. This game depicts [spoiler]what becomes of this incarnation of Link, the Hero Of Time who saved Hyrule during the events of Ocarina Of Time. That is a great (and very well-supported) theory - the idea that Majora's Mask shows how this Link comes to terms with his own demise. Additionally, this particular incarnation of Link also appears hundreds of thousands of years later in Hyrule's history as the Hero's Shade, the armed Stalfos who teaches his blood descendant a wide variety of sword techniques, which heavily supports the theory that the Hero Of Time, after sealing Ganondorf away and saving Hyrule, does indeed become lost in the Lost Woods, leading to his eventual demise and transformation into a monster of the woods, following the departure of his guardian fairy Navi, as supported by quotes from the Kokiri tribe and other characters in Ocarina Of Time:

"They say that when non-fairy folk enter the Lost Woods, they become monsters!" - Gossip Stone
"Anybody who comes into the forest will be lost. Everybody will become a Stalfos. Everybody, Stalfos" - Fado[/spoiler]

In that sense, Majora's Mask is a very personal look into the mind of the legendary Hero Of Time as he reflects on his actions in life; how he viewed the people he saved, what more he felt he could have done to save them from what he believed to be an inescapable demise, and how far he would have gone to save them from such a fate. Whichever way you cut it, the game is a beautiful work of art that will always be humbly unappreciated, its value known only to the select few video game players fortunate enough to enjoy what it offers.

Rolina

I was kind of referencing one of Game Theory's vids on the subject. ^-^