News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Odd request... anyone know if there are cliff steps that match this palette?

Started by Triyence, 04, December, 2014, 12:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triyence

I'm looking cliff "grips?" like the ones on the left that will match the palette on the right. I was looking through the palettes in the editor but none of them seemed to match the palette on the right.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Hmm... I've not sure, but I do have an idea of something you /might/ can try, though?

1. Figure out which colors are used in the Palette View on the Magma Rock one.
2. Take the colors from the same position in the Vale one to replace those colors with.

Let me know if it works out.

I did a quick test in the attachment (Check the bottom.), I did a memory save and load through the Memory Viewer...

I still have it on a Rock, so it'll need to be fixed by placing it on Vale walls instead.. :/ Also, these were the colors used during the storm.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Triyence

Your method will work, but I'd have to find a place in the game where the cliff style is similar to Vale AND where it has climbing rocks. Does anyone know of any spots like this? I was able to do a memory dump of the palette and then memory import of the palette to make something similar but it doesn't really match up against the cliff background.

Okay, but as I have said... That was just an example, not the finished sample. I was a tad bit too lazy... (And wasn't sure if I'd finish it or not.)

The things I left out were:
-Use Vale's Daytime color
-Do some pixel editing to map the grips onto the cliff-wall tiles instead of the rock-wall tiles.

The second would probably be a chore, though? I'm not sure.

Just to make sure... you are trying to export these images for use outside of the ROM, rather than editing the ROM, correct?
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

Alternately, you could play around with the game's debug menu and temporarily edit the map's palette that way. After that, all you would need to do is open up something like VBA's tile/map viewer and take screenshots. If it doesn't blend well, then I guess you could do some very light pixel editing to fix that within about 10-15 minutes...

Up to you mate.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

I doubt that would be effective enough for replacing the rocks with dirts. That modifies the palette, and not so much the pixels...?

But thanks for suggesting it!

Do any other non-Vale maps used the Vale-style walls?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Triyence

I have not found a place in TLA that uses the Vale-style cliffs. That cliff style is used a lot in the first one, but typically when those cliff styles are encountered you need to use a Growth to climb them. I'll just do that instead.

It could be that grips don't make sense on cliffs of Vale's style(?), but they do on actual rocks, since it has the appeal of mountain climbing? Anyway, good luck!

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden