Golden Sun Hacking Community
August 18, 2017, 06:20:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Golden Sun: Open source recreation of the Golden Sun engine  (Read 35095 times)

Novice Member

Coins: 3

« on: December 15, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »

Hi all,

I'm posting a link to my channel where I'm recreating the GBA Golden Sun engine.

OpenGoldenSun Channel

Right now I have these videos up that show where I'm at with the engine.

It's currently not open source but the intent will be to open source it when it's reached an acceptable point. Subscribe if you'd like, I'll attempt to keep this post updated as I go. This has been made from the ground up with no RPG maker or anything.

I've described more details about the engine in this reddit post.

Let me know your thoughts.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 09:29:22 PM by OpenGoldenSun » Logged

View Profile WWW
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 05:23:26 PM »

Thanks for posting this!
I was thinking about maybe some day creating an open-sourced platform from the ground up based off of Golden Sun's code for people to create Golden Sun-like games... but I wasn't sure if I'd ever go as far as copying all the maps. (I was thinking more about a collection of code-based resources.) However, if it turns out your project is the perfect replacement (which it sounds like it is.) Then I won't need to...
Since I (and Salanewt) have documented quite a bit about GS2, I guess I'll eventually look into seeing how your project is organized compared to it, and check for consistencies as well. :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 05:30:40 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
*Cross my fingers and hope we have Big Brother All-Stars next year... with Paulie & Cody Califorie(sp?)... and Vanessa & Tiffany Rousso.... Would be fun? :P Especially if one of the boys got evicted early since there's usually some all-guy alliance in there, right?
View Profile

Coins: 0

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:21:21 AM »

Open Golden Sun! Just like "Openmw"! Like a dream come true!
View Profile

Coins: 0

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 01:38:15 AM »

I would pay good money for a decent RPG maker. I'm serious, too.

Though, for my own purposes, I would need 3D support and a Z-Axis to create something with an overworld style similar to Grandia. 3D Environments with 2D sprites. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUUHBFN3QL4

I'd probably need for the battle system to be modifiable, so I could make something similar to Grandia, too.

Why am I basically asking for an Open-Source Grandia-maker on a Golden Sun Forum? >_<

I guess a guy could dream when wanting to make his own original RPG with inspired mechanics...
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 02:09:41 AM »

Question - how editable will this be?  Would we be able to add additional stats, so as to give psynergy stat support?  How much control will we have over things like critical hit rates, unleash rates, and damage formulas?

View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 03:06:38 AM »

I would pay good money for a decent RPG maker. I'm serious, too.

Though, for my own purposes, I would need 3D support and a Z-Axis to create something with an overworld style similar to Grandia. 3D Environments with 2D sprites. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUUHBFN3QL4

I'd probably need for the battle system to be modifiable, so I could make something similar to Grandia, too.

Why am I basically asking for an Open-Source Grandia-maker on a Golden Sun Forum? >_<

I guess a guy could dream when wanting to make his own original RPG with inspired mechanics...

I'm really not the best person to do something like that and I really wouldn't have the time, sorry (also you can't afford me  Happy ). I'm really just making this because they're my favorite games of all time.

Question - how editable will this be?  Would we be able to add additional stats, so as to give psynergy stat support?  How much control will we have over things like critical hit rates, unleash rates, and damage formulas?

You would be able to do whatever you want in theory. I will most likely create all the damage and stat calculations off what the game currently does and then modify from there.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:08:28 AM by OpenGoldenSun » Logged

View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 03:53:36 AM »

@3D support: Is it even possible to take Golden Sun's 2D maps and make them rotatable as if they were 3D? Even if it was a slight rotation like an earthquake. (Possibly using the height map in part of the equation of-course.)
It may or may not be tricky/ugly/feasible, but still, it was an idea.... You'd use sin and cos for sure. But just in-case, has anyone seen anybody try something like that?
@Ugly: Imagine how houses would work, you'd need to fix the sides and back, obviously.

I'm really not the best person to do something like that
Just to make sure, does some of that time you would need have to go into figuring out how to go about it, or would you already have an idea, but the work to do it is difficult?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:23:28 AM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
*Cross my fingers and hope we have Big Brother All-Stars next year... with Paulie & Cody Califorie(sp?)... and Vanessa & Tiffany Rousso.... Would be fun? :P Especially if one of the boys got evicted early since there's usually some all-guy alliance in there, right?
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »

Will we be able to manage things such as accuracy, evasion, and move priority?  Would we be capable of handling Criticals and Unleashes as separate entities, or would they be folded into a single thing like they were in Dark Dawn?

View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 10:43:58 PM »

I like how you guys are already trying to hack an un-built project.  Happy

@Rolina, the thing with coding something from the ground up is, you can do anything you want.

@Fox, I'm really just going to focus on rebuilding the GBA engine as-is. I'm sure adding a pseudo 3D affect would be cool, but I'm not looking to reinvent the style of the game.

View Profile WWW
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

Coins: 1

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 11:03:11 PM »

Looks sweet, you have the full attention of all members of this board!!!

This is the greatest news seen on this site in years!! I'd almost gave up on the idea of a golden sun Fan game.

WOW! Happy Joy
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 11:08:49 PM by MaxiPower » Logged
View Profile
Atrius
Programmer Extraordinaire
Web Host

Fear my blades

Veteran Member

Coins: 1

Emblems: Website Founder
Clan Position: Creation God of Sol

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 12:08:03 AM »

It's looking pretty convincing so far, I'm impressed with how well you've replicated the game's engine.

I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything
View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 12:30:28 AM »

Looks sweet, you have the full attention of all members of this board!!!

This is the greatest news seen on this site in years!! I'd almost gave up on the idea of a golden sun Fan game.

WOW! Happy Joy

Thanks! I look forward to seeing where this goes.

It's looking pretty convincing so far, I'm impressed with how well you've replicated the game's engine.

I take that as a huge compliment, especially coming from you, so thank-you.

View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 01:02:38 PM »

@Fox, I'm really just going to focus on rebuilding the GBA engine as-is. I'm sure adding a pseudo 3D affect would be cool, but I'm not looking to reinvent the style of the game.
Okay, fair enough. Sticking to just the Golden Sun engine, is probably what I would have done as the focus point as well? ; And then when the GBA project would be complete, perhaps look to see what Dark Dawn had to offer, and implement optional things from there, but I dunno.

Looking good so far. Have you worked on the battle system yet?

Oh and...
@Rolina, the thing with coding something from the ground up is, you can do anything you want.
Well, you are still limited by the programming language and hardware, but that's little to be concerned about considering how limited hacking the GBA was. (It's like hacking the GBA is only worth it for collecting data? That, and maybe translations/difficulty hacks, anything minor.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 01:17:13 PM by Fox » Logged

View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 06:43:46 PM »

Looking good so far. Have you worked on the battle system yet?

Not yet, I think that will come later. Sorry, I know it's one of the more interesting parts but it's also one of the hardest. I'm comfortable with the structure I've built for doing field psynergy. While doing Move & Growth I think I was able to come up with a pretty decent structure so now it's just a matter of finishing up a bunch of the field psynergies. I'll probably focus on a couple more field related items such as: jumping, pushing, and cliff-edge sliding.

Once I'm comfortable with those items I'll move onto to either the world map or battle system. Once those are in a good spot, I'll probably do a major code refactor.

Here is a screenshot of the Class View for the engine (large image), this is completely subject to change and I'm posting this mostly because you seemed interested: http://i.imgur.com/xqeGWVm.png
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 07:01:17 PM by OpenGoldenSun » Logged

View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »

That's fine. As a small hint, though, I believe the game uses two angle values that can be found at addresses 0x02030034 and 0x02030036. So I don't imagine that setting up the base battle system would be too difficult (Basically skin and bones), but actually making it a playable feature with properly working animations/etc might take a whole lot more work.

The World Map should be pretty easy...

That image looks great!  Keep up the good work.

View Profile
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Today at 12:18:56 PM
Fox: Welcome back!
Today at 09:12:43 AM
Luna_blade: back from vacation
Yesterday at 02:29:26 AM
Fox: That moment when you realize that there is a lot of chatting going on on Discord, that there is no point in trying to keep up. :P  Hm....
August 16, 2017, 04:50:22 AM
Fox: (Then again, just because posting is disabled, doesn't necessarily mean the buttons would be removed as well.)
August 16, 2017, 04:48:55 AM
Fox: (I mean, buttons I would expect to be similar to that.... rather than those specifically since I recall posting there to be disabled.)
August 16, 2017, 04:33:02 AM
Fox: Yeah... I like to think of it as a page loaded with ads. And it's not just the forum home page either... check the sub-forums/topics themselves. == New Topic/Reply/etc. buttons were affected.
August 15, 2017, 07:04:30 PM
Salanewt: Lol, nice. :P
August 15, 2017, 06:33:02 PM
Foxhttp://z9.invisionfree.com/Golden_Sun_Hacking/index.php? == Hahaha! GSHC Classic looks funny now that Photobucket killed the images. :P Anyway, how is everyone doing today?
August 14, 2017, 07:12:02 PM
Salanewt: So yeah, I'm typing up a non-academic essay on why GS2 was rushed; expect that sometime soon!
August 07, 2017, 05:53:11 AM
Fox: But anyway, such a hack mod is simply an idea, and I do not have any current plans to work on it at this time, so.....
August 07, 2017, 05:51:46 AM
Fox: Okay, cool. I think my idea works best without an ability to swap PCs (OR to just simply make that use it the PC's turn.) Hmmm... And with that, I question if a turn list is even needed with my approach. (Outside of maybe 1 entry, if that shortens the modifications.)
August 07, 2017, 05:13:26 AM
Salanewt: To be honest I've been thinking of expanding the battle turn section and also adding code for PCs to have more than two turns in the AI overhaul, but I probably won't allow anyone to have more than four.
August 06, 2017, 12:22:17 AM
Fox: Oh, and if that approach was taken = Would like to also have it so you select the spell to use when it is actually your turn rather than at round start.
August 06, 2017, 12:12:37 AM
Fox: Would take a lot of balancing, but I can see an adept being very slow, and yet very powerful.
August 06, 2017, 12:06:11 AM
Fox: And bosses can have an Agility that is above half of the maximum possible Agility. Mwahaha.
August 06, 2017, 12:04:14 AM
Fox: Hmm... What if Agility could be recodded to allow for multiple turns per round? Obvious, calculations could be made in a way that depending on your Agility, you could like get a different number of turns each round. (eg. 1 turn this round, 2 the next, 1 turn again.) Obviously, To ensure 2 turns all the time, you should have at least double the opponent's agility,.... erm...something. So... you/or enmy could be so fast, the opponent can't even make a move, unless turns are capped.
August 05, 2017, 08:48:42 PM
Fox: ( That keeps search engines from indexing them... :) )
August 05, 2017, 08:45:44 PM
Fox: Also, it's not 100% public if Guests can't see them. (They can't), but who cares about Guests anyway. =P
August 05, 2017, 08:20:28 PM
Fox: @Clan forums: Mars clan has the most posts, and Venus clan has the most topics. So umm having 1k+ posts makes Mars.... interesting?
August 05, 2017, 08:16:43 PM
Fox: /and they're *

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise