News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Open Golden Sun: Open source recreation of the Golden Sun engine

Started by OpenGoldenSun, 15, December, 2014, 11:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxiPower

They havent been shown as off yet. So id assume not yet.. though in my defence, I did say when the battle mechanies were in place in my orignial post.

OpenGoldenSun

It's been a long time but in case you missed it, I posted a new video:

jjppof

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Good job! Didn't miss it, but that's only because Kyle mentioned it in the cbox last week... (If he hadn't, I wouldn't have seen it until now, most likely(?))  But anyway, keep it going...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

OpenGoldenSun

Oh... It turns out I haven't subscribed yet...... *done* Hm... I don't always check my youtube for updates... so I've no idea how well it will keep me up to date or not if I'm not checking much...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

Quote from: Fox on 23, April, 2015, 07:16:57 PM
@Field jumping & pushing = By the way, have those been done yet? (I'm thinking most likely, but I just want to be sure.)

Either way, I think Rolina was referring to what's most reasonable for Battle Mechanics...

QuoteEDIT POST 666.... Number of the Beast!!
Muslim's holy number  ; Bible's evil number.. -- Which do you pick, holy or evil?  (<== Supposed to be rhetorical.)
Aye, I was.  Battle mechanics is what I know, you know?

Still, looks like at this point he's working on what could arguably be the more important part of the game to focus on, since you spend more time in the overworld than in battles.  Good idea, I think - once we've got working navigation, maps, tiling, puzzles, etc then we can move on to battle stuff.  I look forward to trying out the demo when it's out.

KyleRunner

Quote from: OpenGoldenSun on 28, October, 2015, 06:17:40 PM
Sounds like someone should be subscribing!  :happy:

Great work, Mr. Opengoldensun!
I think I watched your videos at least 10 times each, :) !

Menaus

Quote from: Rolina on 28, October, 2015, 06:57:27 PM
Still, looks like at this point he's working on what could arguably be the more important part of the game to focus on, since you spend more time in the overworld than in battles.  Good idea, I think - once we've got working navigation, maps, tiling, puzzles, etc then we can move on to battle stuff.  I look forward to trying out the demo when it's out.

I agree. The heart of Golden Sun is in the exploration/puzzles and the dialogue, both of which occur in the overworld. The combat, on the other hand, while needed to complete the project, is not particularly nuanced, I think, or especially different from other JRPGs, aside perhaps from Djinni.
"You state that I have misinterpreted my results, and it looks as though you believe my views to be unsound. Your arguments are those of an eminent scholar. I was myself a fair scholar. For years I pondered, so to speak, day and night over books, and filled my head with sound views–very sound ones, indeed—those of others. But I could no[t] get to practical results. I then began to work and think independently. Gradually my views became unsound, but they conducted me to some sound results." - Nikola Tesla

OpenGoldenSun

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

Emotes.  Emoji are a brand name iirc, so they refer to something very specific.

@What I was thinking:
Emoji is used for telling stories without using textual characters (And is usually hard to understand(?)) (At least on The Late Late Show with James Corden,) - A bunch of these are  actually Unicode characters themselves, but I don't think they display correctly everywhere. (May appear correctly in textbox, but blank when submitted.)  ;
Emotes are usually used for emotions/feelings.... but we end up using them for general purposes.. (PCs/objects/etc) ....so that's why I asked.

But in another way... I'm not sure if this is like comparing "cartoon" to "anime".... (Which I think? Is based on location?)
Maybe I could choose a less controversial term and call them "icons"....?

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Rolina

I figure it's more of a "band-aid" vs "bandage".  Technically, a bandaid is a brand of bandage.  However, Band-Aid makes you think specifically about those adhesive bandages you put on cuts while bandage makes you think of those wrap-around bandages for larger wounds.  So while technically both are bandages, and band-aids even have those wrappable kinds, the brand vs the item itself makes you think two different things.

When I think "emoji", I think of that god-awful stuff that's popular now thanks to that one company and phones and stuff.  When I think emotes, I think of the simpler types you see on forums and in games.

...Actually...

Dark Dawn uses Emoji
The GBA games use Emotes

That's a good way to put it, IMO.  They have a different feel to them, you know?

Aile~♥

QuoteIsaac: "Hey! I take offense to that."
You take all the fence you like.

Edit: Just so this post isn't spam: that's pretty cool. Also lol @ Jenna's head as an emote. And also reddit and youtube and twitter emotes.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

OpenGoldenSun

I've been working on getting some of the puzzle mechanics working properly.

Luna_blade

Ahh... I didn't even see the update until now. Again, great work.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Luna_blade

"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Rolina

It is.  Follow him on youtube - he's got several more vids than that.