News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

My Findings In The Memory Viewer.

Started by checkmate, 04, October, 2009, 04:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkmate

It has been a while since my last post, so if this is in the wrong section, please do move (or lock) it.

From my notes:

In the memory viewer:

1)   value DD at address 02030A12 allows enemy1 to dissipate psynergy (sadly this also gives enemies Sentinel's moveset) (NOTE:  activate during the battle for best graphical results)

2)   value DD at address 02030B5E allows enemy2 to dissipate psynergy (SEE ABOVE FOR NOTES)

3)   value 65 at 02030A12 and value 01 at 020308B4 gives enemy1 a forcefield that regenerates after breaking (sadly this also gives enemies Poseidon's moveset) (NOTE:  activate during the battle for best graphical results)

4)   value 65 at address 02030B5E and value 01 at 020308B4 gives enemy2 a forcefield that regenerates after breaking (SEE ABOVE FOR NOTES)

5)   value 00 at address 02030712 forces Sentinel1 to take damage from psynergy.  Its default value is 01.

6)   value DD at address 02030A12 and value 01 at 020308B4 makes the first enemy dissipate everything...  No, really, not even the trident breaks this.  NOTE: All attacks negated get the message: (enemy) dissipated your psynergy!

7)   value DD at address 02030B5E and value 01 at 020308B4 makes the second enemy dissipate everything...  No, really, not even the trident breaks this.  NOTE: All attacks negated get the message: (enemy) dissipated your psynergy!

Codes for memory viewer findings:

Goto Cheats-> Cheat list-> Code

Codes necessary for each scenario:

1)
02030A12:DD

2)
02030B5E:DD

3)
02030A12:65
020308B4:01

4)
02030B5E:65

5)
02030712:00

6)
02030A12:DD

7)
02030B5E:DD

Disclaimer:  These codes are intended for VBA usage only.  Do not use them anywhere else.

Pictures to go along.

Sorry about the last picture, I used screen capture to show the memory viewer.

Hope this helps someone and please post if you find a mistake,

Checkmate

Atrius (He/Him)

Hmm... This pretty much confirms what I suspected, and is bad news toward being able to apply those effects to other enemies with the editor.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

Well, it might be possible in a HEX editor though. Think about it this way, those values probably only apply to the one enemy there, but there might be other locations where you can change it for a different enemy. Anyway, I suppose you will find out in the future, right?

Have a nice day.
:MercurySet:  :MercuryDjinni:  
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

What he's doing is making the game believe that enemy actually is Sentinel/Poseidon, that's the reason they get their move sets.  The significance of the value DD is that it is the index by which the game actually refers to Sentinel.  Likewise with 65 for Poseidon.

It would be impractical to attempt to replicate this by hacking the ROM since those indexes are the way the game loads the data for the enemy, so the only way an enemy could have Sentinel/Posiedons index is if they were in their slot.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Salanewt

That is true, but perhaps there is a way to change how the index is read in other ways (pretty much anything is possible in a hex editor, don't forget (time consuming, but possible)).

Have a nice day.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

I'm only saying it would be impractical to make it appear as though an enemies index is something that it's not.  That index is way too integrated in how the enemy data is accessed to be worth mucking around with.  It would be simpler to just make it so the effects are dependent on something other than that index.

Salanewt

I suppose that makes more sense, and probably easier too? It also gives me something to think about for Mario and Luigi...

Have a nice day.

checkmate

I'm going to keep looking, everyone.  There are sometimes workarounds to such things (although the workarounds are often less than favorable) so I am going to try to stay optimistic.  Even if we don't find it at first, that doesn't mean it is not there.  Maybe it's just harder to find than originally thought and is somewhere else.

QuoteIt would be impractical to attempt to replicate this by hacking the ROM since those indexes are the way the game loads the data for the enemy

I should look into .sav hacking more.  I wonder if the answer is in there.

Also, if anyone has a guide on pointers, assembly, or breakpoints on hand I would appreciate it very much.  I need help with all of those and I'm sure that will help me (as well as others with the same questions).

Thanks for the responses and support,

checkmate  

Rolina

Huh... This doesn't look too promising.  Disappointing, I'd say...  The only way I can think of getting around it is to have an editor for those things, basically allowing you to edit each one.  In other words, a way to assign each monster type their own unique one that works with them.  That, however, could get really tedious, and I don't think it'd be all that easy to code, either...

weckar

While it is a sad sight, it feels good to know that I was right all along about these effects.

Rolina

I take that back.  This can easily be done, when you think about it... Got an enemy that needs a specific ability?  Make one for it.  This really doesn't change much... it just means that we have to make the abilities specific to certain monsters.  So a little bit more tediousness, but it's doable.