News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun: The Balance Age

Started by Caledor, 24, January, 2015, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VardenSalad

Oh, I didn't think you had edited the dialogue. I was just wondering if the way that the conversation played out in Japanese was the same as in English.
Never forget why you started playing.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 10, April, 2015, 02:55:51 PM
Oh, I didn't think you had edited the dialogue. I was just wondering if the way that the conversation played out in Japanese was the same as in English.
Like I said, I have no way of knowing that cause i never played neither the english game nor the japanese one.

VardenSalad

Ok, I've scaled Air's Rock, beaten Briggs and co, and am headed back to Madra. I also learned a few things that may help toughen up this part of the game, because it went from WTF to cakewalk way too quickly.

First things first, positives. Storm Brand nerf, Fujin Shield nerf (they really originally gave it 50 :JupiterStar: RES?), Clarity Circlet (kinda on the fence with this, but it was kind of a non-factor compared to other problems I faced).

Ixion Mail needs tweaked again. I think it's too weak compared to the Psynergy Mail, considering the low number of enemies using powerful elemental attacks. Adept's Clothes are still kind of bland without any extra effect.

Things I feel I learned:

1. You are obviously supposed to go to Alhafra before continuing south to Garoh and Air's Rock, no matter how nice getting levels before fighting Briggs seems.

All of the dialogue in Alhafra assumes you haven't been south to Garoh yet; I really had forgotten exactly how much it seems to throw the narrative of most NPCs off when you go south first. If there were any way to actually force the party to go north before heading south, I'd suggest it in a heartbeat.

2. The monsters on Air's Rock are not hard enough compared to the monsters in Yampi Desert or compared to the equivalent monsters in TBS.

The levels you gain getting through the Yampi Desert and just getting to Air's Rock nullify almost any challenge they could have presented. I thought this was extremely odd, given how I felt the monsters in the first game were a non-trivial threat to the party for the entire game. I think I may have come up with a few reasons why Air's Rock seems to fall apart.

2a. Monsters are do not show up in large groups as often.

In The Broken Seal, monsters would often show up in large enough groups that my strongest AoE psynergy could only down those in the middle and those on the periphery would survive into the second round, unleashing high damage spells on my party. I'm positive that fewer monsters show up in fights in Air's Rock and their abilities are weaker besides. In TBS, having threatening enemies would force me to use expensive psynergy downing them in order to avoid serious harm to my team, especially early, before the team got Mia. In TLA, monsters often are not surviving into the second round of combat or do not unleash their attacks in the first place (from being outsped). This leads me to my second point...

2b. Monsters in TLA in Air's Rock are too slow.

By the time my team had reached the top of Air's Rock in order to move into the interior, I already knew I was too strong for this to be a challenge. This was because my strongest AoE psynergy would eliminate an opposing enemy force before they even had the chance to attack. Even Felix would be able to get a Thorn or Cutting Edge off before the opposing enemies would attack. Checking the bestiary of Air's Rock both inside and outside (http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Air%27s_Rock#Enemies) shows not a single enemy who has an AGI of above 50. Even with the Hard Mode Scaling, compared to the enemies in Fuchin Falls Cave (http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Fuchin_Falls_Cave#Enemies) and Mogall Forest (http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Mogall_Forest#Enemies), the enemies in Air's Rock's interior don't stack up, getting completely outstripped by the time Altin Peak (http://goldensun.wikia.com/wiki/Altin_Peak#Enemies) comes around. These monsters need big time buffs in order to compensate for not appearing in large groups or it may be the issue that there's no one single 'big threat' monster like the Ape in TLA.

2c. Sheba's healing is too cheap, PP-wise.

Without enemies being a threat to actually injure my party, even if they ambush me, Sheba's healing doesn't cost enough for how much it heals. I was in a position to spend the 12 PP out side of any battle I took damage from to heal to full and never put a dent in Sheba's PP pool because she often doesn't even need to cast to defeat the enemies we run into. Damage never sticks because healing is so cheap and Felix having access to the Swordsman class actually worsens this problem. I could actually only heal with Felix (since he was almost never casting in battle) and not even need to burden Sheba. Or, my actual tactic, split the post-battle heals and simply walk off the PP strain.

I entered the Yampi Desert around level 8 and I'm currently sitting at level 14 entering Madra for the second time. For equivalence, in TBS, level 8 through 14 would have gotten me from Kolima to midway though Altin Peak. Fighting some monsters in Gondowan Cliffs tells me that their AGI is higher than the numbers on the wiki, so if you could fill me in on the stat changes to some monsters, that would help a ton.

Lemme know what you think and I'll answer any questions.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 12, April, 2015, 10:47:49 PM
Ixion Mail needs tweaked again. I think it's too weak compared to the Psynergy Mail, considering the low number of enemies using powerful elemental attacks.

[...]

1. You are obviously supposed to go to Alhafra before continuing south to Garoh and Air's Rock, no matter how nice getting levels before fighting Briggs seems.
Well, the second sentence is basically the answer to the first one. You are supposed to go to Alhafra before mikasalla, so the ixion mail must have a defense value higher than leather armor but lower than the psy mail.

Quote2. The monsters on Air's Rock are not hard enough compared to the monsters in Yampi Desert or compared to the equivalent monsters in TBS.

2b. Monsters in TLA in Air's Rock are too slow.

2c. Sheba's healing is too cheap, PP-wise.
2 and 2b are both true. The problem is that the monster in air's rock are for the most part the same that you've already fought in the yampi desert, so there's no helping that unless I change the random encounters.
The boon series is fine PP wise cause i placed it exactly in between the cure and ply one. Which means that if boon were cheap, the same would be true for the other two, and I don't think that it is the case. So, IMHO, you think 2c for 2 reasons: the first is that is derived directly from 2 and 2b (you don't need to heal that much because enemies are weak), the second is that Sheba is the character with the highest maxPP in the entire game, and you can't compare her healing capabilities with Isaac's, whom has around half to 60% or her maxPP.

QuoteI entered the Yampi Desert around level 8 and I'm currently sitting at level 14 entering Madra for the second time. For equivalence, in TBS, level 8 through 14 would have gotten me from Kolima to midway though Altin Peak. Fighting some monsters in Gondowan Cliffs tells me that their AGI is higher than the numbers on the wiki, so if you could fill me in on the stat changes to some monsters, that would help a ton.
Leveling in TLA is the same as it was in the original game, which is faster than in GS. Also, i learned myself while hacking that comparing monsters at the same level in GS and TLA is a mistake. In TLA you start 3 levels higher than GS and this influences the game until the reunion, because for all this time enemies in TLA are weaker than those in GS at the same level, BUT you also have worse equipment cause in GS at level 4 you're at Vault not Vale. If you number the towns in GS and TLA in the order you can access their shops, you'll see that those with the same number also sell identical items for a large portion of the game.
Agility is 25% higher for every enemy, in both games.

VardenSalad

You have killed my complaints again with additional research. I need to remind myself that you put more time into making and balancing this than I have playing it. I apologize.

Getting the Ixion Mail location mixed up was a stupid mistake on my part, since I came from Garoh.

I've finished Gondowan Cliffs, Kibombo, the Gabombo Statue, and Gondowan in general, but not Gabomba Catacombs yet. Was quite difficult compared to Air's Rock; Mad Demons moving twice led to some tense moments. Sheba's frail, but not overly so; I probably got lucky that she didn't fall a few times following a Vital Moon.

Staff of Anubis ate a big ATK nerf, but I think the +MaxPP and :VenusStar: PWR should make up for it. Grabbed it through the normal course of going through the statue, no grinding needed.

Piers' psynergies fit his theme of water well.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 14, April, 2015, 09:59:49 AM
You have killed my complaints again with additional research. I need to remind myself that you put more time into making and balancing this than I have playing it. I apologize.
No need to apologize at all, we're just two people exchanging opinions over a mod. Actually, maybe I should be the one to do so if my reply seemed too brutal. And if you need to stress out some of the parts i cut in your reply, please do so. :)

QuoteStaff of Anubis ate a big ATK nerf, but I think the +MaxPP and :VenusStar: PWR should make up for it. Grabbed it through the normal course of going through the statue, no grinding needed.
Well, what i said for ixion mail is true for the main stat of every item (atk for wpns and def for defensive gear). While i was modding them, the only thing that mattered to me was the point where you could gain the item. The Frost Wand is available only after you complete the statue, which means that the staff of anubis must have a lower attack than that the frost wand. This is the trend i followed for every weapon and armor. Once i started thinking this way i completely forgot about original stats cause they became irrelevant. The little power bonus was added because: A) not adding it to the only venus-unleashing staff would have been a waste IMHO, and B) it can incentivize a bit trying venus mages, a rarity in both games, like Jenna's Miko class, that i like A LOT :P (even though that class shines the most later in the game and is quite weak early, just like the Student class series).

VardenSalad

Every time I mention something and get it corrected, it just reminds me I missed something you saw or failed to make a pattern connection that you did. It's just a "damn, how'd I miss that?" kinda thing. You aren't brutal, trust me.

Since I've gotten the ToMegaThericon/ToMeGatherIcon/Necronomicon and am standing in Yallam, I'd like to know how you planned the player to progress in gathering the trident pieces and sailing the Eastern Sea. I always end up bouncing all over the place and I know that there is some level of linearity based on the utility psynergy gained from the Elemental rocks and Tundaria Tower. I want to know when you slot the Avimander battle in between the various dungeons.

Caledor

QuoteToMegaThericon/ToMeGatherIcon/Necronomicon
Lol at the joke. Actually I wonder why they added that extra 'C' in addition to changing a word into a completely different one...

Well... I think you're supposed to bounce all over the place at that point of the game, but if there's an order (from enemies' levels and strength of equipment found) then that's:

Yallam -> Shrine of the Sea God -> Taopo Swamp -> Apojii -> Aqua Rock -> Izumo -> Gaia Rock -> Izumo Ruins -> Ankhol Ruins -> Tundaria Tower -> Champa (Avimander)

VardenSalad

The addition of the C actually makes it a nice triple spelling entendre and still harkens back to Lovecraft. The Golden Sun wiki does a good job explaining the wordplay in the item.

I'll run that route then. Should be fun.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 17, April, 2015, 06:27:06 PM
The addition of the C actually makes it a nice triple spelling entendre and still harkens back to Lovecraft. The Golden Sun wiki does a good job explaining the wordplay in the item.
The only references i know are the literal ones... Necronomicon is the grimoire (and that's how the item is called in the japanese version, WAY more fitting), while tomegatherICOn is an allusion to "To Mega TherIOn" (greek for the great beast), the book of revelation in the Christian Bible... hence my "why the additional C"? Just for the multiple spelling entendre?

Another big localization mystery is the izumo quest. EVERYTHING in Izumo is a tribute to (read carbon copy of) the legend of Susanoo, the shintoist god son of Izanagi, and brother to Amaterasu and Tsukuyomi.

In the legend, Susanoo was cast down to earth in the region called Izumo, where he found out that a young lady named Kushinada was about to be offered as sacrifice to the great serpent Yamata no Orochi. He went, made the beast drunk with sake, slew it and then found a sword inside its tail, the renown "Ama no Murakumo no Tsurugi" (AKA Kusanagi no Tsurugi). Susanoo and Kushinada marry and their firstborn son Takeru becomes the progenitor of the Japanese royal family. Sounds pretty familiar...

Now, why they changed "Amanokumo" (obviously short for ama no murakumo) to Cloud Brand, "Orochi" to Serpent, and Sake to Dragonsbane while keeping everything else the same, from the name of the country to the name of the couple's firstborn son, is really beyond me. BTW, Susa is Susa even in the japanese version. Rumors say the name was shortened cause he's no god.

VardenSalad

Well, changing sake to dragonsbane gets around ERSB censors; I'm fairly certain references to alcohol at all get you a T rating no matter what.

The Tomegathericon thing is really only that way for the wordplay. To Me Gather Icon, the ancient Greek reference, and Lovecraft; hell, they actually get more milage out of their translation trickery than the Japanese get for their boring literal Lovecraft reference.

It was fun to learn about the legend of Susanoo well after playing TLA. At first you're like "this seems familiar..." then you just appreciate how they managed to use it in the game.

Exore The Mighty

Okay, I'm a first time poster here, but I wanted you to know that I'm almost done with the game, and I really liked the hack overall.  I've collected every item except for the Herculean Axe (and I have 2 orihalcums in my inventory to go get it), used all the rng stuff to get everyone the best stuff and so on.  Overall, I think what I really like is that the creatures are difficult all through out the game, with some nice reprieve areas like the eastern sea, and I especially like the change to damage calculation of psynergy.  I'm basically sitting on a lvl 47 Sheba right now with like 215 Wind power, who regularly deals about 450 damage to her main target with tempest.  That compared to my standard unleash-oriented Felix who does about the same with Armageddon (your changed-name Sol Blade unleash).

About the equipment: the cursed items are amazing.  I have all of them attached to Isaac, so that Acheron's Grief can get his bonus Venus damage, so that both him and Felix are forces to be reckoned with, though Isaac is more for Djinn unleashes than weapon.  I also like what you did with berserk band (now berserk circlet), so I have 2 of those, and 2 psychic circlets for the pp regen on my healers.  I like the general variety, and the toss-up between giving the healers more elemental power for stronger healing, or more pp regeneration for long drawn-out battles.  I'm digging the Caladbolg, but I feel like it's only really there for flavor, since at this point in the game, Piers unleashing with that weapon isn't as reliable strategically as using Djinn, then getting the added bonus of summon potential.

I went ahead and fought the superbosses to get each summon sequence.  I'm about to fight Dullahan, but I did a round with him to see if summon rushing still works, and... I don't think it does.  I'll have to run through a couple more play-tests before I know for sure, but my party is only lvl 47, lvl 43 for the first-gen party.  I didn't grind much level-wise, as I wanted to get all the equipment first, to map out strategies for using it all.  I feel like, with the changes to how Felix's party operates, the first-gen party is... lacking.  Maybe their single-target, or small multi-target spells are stronger?  Whatever the case, whenever I switch out to them, I'm always disappointed, and keep wishing Ivan was as good as Sheba, or Isaac as good as Felix.  Felix and crew's damage output just seems much more reliable.  One complaint about Jenna, though, and that's Searing Beam!  I didn't get it until lvl 46, so there was like a 20 level gap where she didn't get any better at attack psynergy, other than the equipment/level increases in her max psynergy!  She was relegated to a healer only for that period of time, which was frustrating when I fought Sentinel, and he wipes out her healing ability by putting all those djinn on standby.  I'm not sure if you intend us to have to mess around with djinn classes in order to fight stuff, but that was annoying when I toured each of the areas after getting teleport, and got my butt handed to me constantly in part due to Jenna's lack of damage.

I won't ask for tips on Dullahan, since part of the fun is figuring out what works, but after I beat him, I'd like to know what your thoughts were when you were changing him up.  Also, the Doom Dragon seems... quite a bit harder now.  I might just grind to mid-50s before i can beat either boss.  I know in GS1 I beat Deadbeard in a long, very very long battle at lvl 30 or so on your hack, so that kind of thinking probably has some weight.

Really quick last bit: there might be a glitch in the shops when dealing with the Iris robe.  I sold it in Prox, wondering if I should just use the mercury-enhancing equipment on Mia (Triton's Ward?), but then wanted  to buy it back, and it wasn't showing up.  It did show up in other shops that had separate armor and weapons, and I was able to buy it back, but that might be something to look into.  Again, overall I've really, really enjoyed what I've seen.  The game is more challenging and strategic with the battles than it was originally, so now I get to use my noggin, rather than just beating stuff up!   

Caledor

First and foremost, thank you very much for trying my mod.

Now...

QuoteI feel like, with the changes to how Felix's party operates, the first-gen party is... lacking.  Maybe their single-target, or small multi-target spells are stronger?  Whatever the case, whenever I switch out to them, I'm always disappointed, and keep wishing Ivan was as good as Sheba, or Isaac as good as Felix.  Felix and crew's damage output just seems much more reliable.  One complaint about Jenna, though, and that's Searing Beam!  I didn't get it until lvl 46, so there was like a 20 level gap where she didn't get any better at attack psynergy, other than the equipment/level increases in her max psynergy!
Probably you're talking about the Fume and Judgement Psynergy series, and I can agree with you seeing sheba stronger than ivan... but i can't see how felix is so much better than isaac when the latter heals, revives and has stronger psynergies (Gaia). Jenna can't be helped. the learning level cares ONLY about the strength/range of the psynergy. If there's a gap in power, there's a gap in levels.

QuoteI'm not sure if you intend us to have to mess around with djinn classes in order to fight stuff
The original developers wanted us to mess around with djinn classes. The default classes are good at doing only one thing: Summon Rushing. With that feature heavily nerfed, i can't fathom why anyone would want to stick to the default classes. Why unleash armageddon with a Slayer's 150% Atk multiplier when the Chaos Lord has a whopping 170%? Why use a Phalanx for tanking when the paladin exists? or a Sorcerer for support when you have access to the Divine Mage? Or an Angel for healing when the pure mage is a few djinn away?

QuoteReally quick last bit: there might be a glitch in the shops when dealing with the Iris robe.  I sold it in Prox, wondering if I should just use the mercury-enhancing equipment on Mia (Triton's Ward?), but then wanted  to buy it back, and it wasn't showing up.  It did show up in other shops that had separate armor and weapons, and I was able to buy it back, but that might be something to look into.
I'll certainly check this one out, but i need a save file of a game very close to Prox but that hasn't reached it yet. Something around Loho or right after Magma Rock for example.

VardenSalad

I really like the new Captain's Axe. This is kind of what I hoped the Blessed Mace would become, but I also understand the necessity of having diversity in weapon usage.

I just finished Aqua Rock and I'm happy with the Eastern Sea in general. Running the dungeons in a specified, gradual order really keeps the enemies strong but not overbearing.

After reading the earlier post, I'm excited for the surprises that the superbosses will have, though seeing that Djinn Blast and Djinn Storm still exist strikes fear in my heart. @#$% those moves; they are pure evil.

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 21, April, 2015, 12:28:22 AM
I really like the new Captain's Axe. This is kind of what I hoped the Blessed Mace would become, but I also understand the necessity of having diversity in weapon usage.
Just a little clarification. It's not like i kept the mace like it was for the sake of diversity, it's the other way around: the axe that had to be tweaked no matter what. As per weapon categories, axes are the most offense-oriented, so much that they lower your defense. One with zero offensive abilities and that instead INCREASES defense... well... seemed a bit contradictory.

QuoteI just finished Aqua Rock and I'm happy with the Eastern Sea in general. Running the dungeons in a specified, gradual order really keeps the enemies strong but not overbearing.
Also remember that this is were the attack nerf to weapons start taking effect: by the end of the E.Sea the weapons you're wielding have around -10 ATK when compared to the original game... and due to the weapons categories system the title of strongest E.Sea weapon went from Lightning Sword to Tartarus Axe.

QuoteAfter reading the earlier post, I'm excited for the surprises that the superbosses will have, though seeing that Djinn Blast and Djinn Storm still exist strikes fear in my heart. @#$% those moves; they are pure evil.
After reading your post, I started checking the superbosses to see if everything was fine. Well, Sentinel wasn't so expect v1.22 soon v1.22 is up. :) Djinn Storm is still there, as evil as ever!!

VardenSalad

Regardless of your intentions and my interpretation of them, I like the new Captain's Axe.

V1.22 has tweaks on some of the superbosses, but doesn't go into details. Are you just being cagey, or is more info forthcoming?

Just got the Herbed Shirt, cut content item. I like what it is now. Good alteration there, considering how strong the original Herbed Shirt was (not at all). Also, no Otafuku Mask changes. Not sure what you would do to it anyway.

Actually, there's a question I really, really wanted to ask. You're using some of Erik's work for this patch, yes? Did you happen to keep Dullahan's drop item?

Aile~♥

Logically the base classes should also be the best at mono-element Psynergy spam as they get the highest Elemental Power in their element. So keeping Sheba in her base class, for example, should be to the player's benefit to a certain extent.

As for the issue of a "massive 20 level gap with no new offensive spells", that's why Rolina assigns damaging Psynergy series the way she does when making classes. It's to ensure that you always have a "current" spell on hand. Also, it's perfectly okay for different classes to be better at different things in regards to status spells etc, so if your spells aren't fitting in where they should and you end up with a massive gap in learn levels you can in fact shuffle things around a bit.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Caledor

Quote from: VardenSalad on 21, April, 2015, 08:28:11 PM
V1.22 has tweaks on some of the superbosses, but doesn't go into details. Are you just being cagey, or is more info forthcoming?
I don't want to ruin the surprise for those who like it, and if someone actually wanted to know, all he/she has to do is to open the ROM with the editor. I usually go into details only when it would be hard to see the difference within the editor.

QuoteActually, there's a question I really, really wanted to ask. You're using some of Erik's work for this patch, yes? Did you happen to keep Dullahan's drop item?
Yes, the Mind Ribbon is there.

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 21, April, 2015, 10:32:44 PM
Logically the base classes should also be the best at mono-element Psynergy spam as they get the highest Elemental Power in their element. So keeping Sheba in her base class, for example, should be to the player's benefit to a certain extent.
You know, this is something I feared as well when i raised the elemental caps to 255 but the PP multiplier patch seems to perform better than i expected in compensating.

Just tested against a Talon Runner (25 JRes) with Sheba at L55: Fateweaver Sheba deals around 659 damage with Scourge (184 JPower, 819 HP, 546 PP, 330 Def, 21 Luck), while Prophet Sheba deals 713 with it (229 JPower, 694 HP, 498 PP, 300 Def, 27 Luck). Mind that 25 Res is the absolute lowest in the whole game and Scourge is the second strongest spell with a base power of 240 (among all elements. Strongest is Call Dullahan, BP 250), so these extra 54 damage are the maximum you can hope to achieve among any spell and against any enemy. Factor in the enormous HP loss, and all the versatility other classes offer (in the case above you trade Dull and Tempest for Ply, Impact, Guard, Break and Prism) and you'll see it's just not worth it.

As a side note i uploaded v1.22a.

leaf

Someone here mentioned that they don't think summon rushing is viable against dullahan anymore. Can someone send me a save from just before that fight? I'll bet it's still possible, but requires some changes in strategy.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Caledor

Quote from: leaf on 22, April, 2015, 02:22:12 PM
Someone here mentioned that they don't think summon rushing is viable against dullahan anymore. Can someone send me a save from just before that fight? I'll bet it's still possible, but requires some changes in strategy.
HERE's my savefile. Let me know if it still works, and by which margin... I've already though of how to nerf it again should the situation require it. Thanks Leaf.