News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun: The Balance Age

Started by Caledor, 24, January, 2015, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Misery

Oh wow, I didn't know you had been messing with the class code that much, haha. Well, thanks for the explanation.

Caledor

Quote from: Misery on 10, June, 2015, 04:03:31 PM
Oh wow, I didn't know you had been messing with the class code that much, haha. Well, thanks for the explanation.
Well, I did what i could. And, you're welcome. :D

Rolina

...That needs to be a patch.  That's something that a nice chunk of us very much desire.  Off chance you can find a way to make split paths work for classes?

Ex:

Venus, Dual Adjacent, Path A:
:MercuryStar: 1 → :MercuryStar: 2 → :MercuryStar: 4 → :MercuryStar: 6  :VenusStar: 1→ :MercuryStar: 7  :VenusStar: 2

Venus, Dual Adjacent, Path B:

:MercuryStar: 1 → :MercuryStar: 1  :VenusStar: 1 → :MercuryStar: 2  :VenusStar: 2 → :MercuryStar: 3  :VenusStar: 3 → :MercuryStar: 4  :VenusStar: 4

You could even have a Path C:

:MercuryStar: 1 → :MercuryStar: 2 → :MercuryStar: 4 → :MercuryStar: 7 → :MercuryStar: 8

I could see the difference between paths A and B being shown in the supports, while paths A and C would differ in whether the upgraded EPA is pure power, or slightly weaker in favor of dealing an effect.

Caledor

lol i'm seriously doubting my english skills now. what did you understand whenever i said "no more partial classes" the other times?
Jokes aside, ATM a patch would work for everyone is not possible. The reason, like i said other times, is that full separation requires more slot that the ones we have avaliable, so i tweaked the formula to avoid class duplication as much as possible, but this means it is bound to my class setup.
Regarding multiple paths I don't know what the issue is with them now but shouldn't you be fine as long as you put B before A in the rom?

Rolina

It's a terminology thing.  Different people know those classes as different thing - I know them as Overflow classes, you as partial classes.  There's just not a standardized term for them.

@Full Separation:  Er, I wasn't talking about full separation, but the removal of overflow classes.  That would allow for the use of Path C in classes.

@Multiple paths:  You'd think.  I've found them much more difficult to implement than what would seem obvious.

Caledor

Just remove the overflow, eh? Maybe it can be done. I'll think about it and if a "clean" patch can be made, I will certainly make it.

TenkaiSp

Great mod, Caledor!
Out of curiosity, I've tried to use it together with Atrius' Translation Toolkit. (I patched the clear rom at first).
Everything seems to work just fine, except one thing - the Toolkit messes up the damage formulas.
E. g. Punishment does more than 1000 damage to monsters outside Prox. Poor guys  :Sweat:

I wonder where the issue lies. It would be amazing if I could add this mod to my TLA translation.
Too bad I have no real hacking experience myself.

Caledor

Quote from: TenkaiSp on 03, July, 2015, 06:54:21 AM
Great mod, Caledor!
Out of curiosity, I've tried to use it together with Atrius' Translation Toolkit. (I patched the clear rom at first).
Everything seems to work just fine, except one thing - the Toolkit messes up the damage formulas.
E. g. Punishment does more than 1000 damage to monsters outside Prox. Poor guys  :Sweat:

I wonder where the issue lies. It would be amazing if I could add this mod to my TLA translation.
Too bad I have no real hacking experience myself.
I know this one cause i use the toolkit on my modified italian rom. The toolkit writes the uncompressed text OVER the tables used by the damage formulas. Those tables are used to separate summons (grab a byte =/= 0) and non summons (byte = 0). Basically what happens is that if text is written there (bytes are not zeros anymore) every skill is treated as a summon, thus HP% damage is added to the real damage.

To sum it up, it can be fixed. I just have to move the tables to an earlier portion of the code, to match what i did on my italian rom.

TenkaiSp

Quote from: Caledor on 03, July, 2015, 07:09:41 AM
I know this one cause i use the toolkit on my modified italian rom. The toolkit writes the uncompressed text OVER the tables used by the damage formulas. Those tables are used to separate summons (grab a byte =/= 0) and non summons (byte = 0). Basically what happens is that if text is written there (bytes are not zeros anymore) every skill is treated as a summon, thus HP% damage is added to the real damage.

To sum it up, it can be fixed. I just have to move the tables to an earlier portion of the code, to match what i did on my italian rom.

I see. That is good news. Hope it comes with the next release.
Thanks for clearing that up!  :happy:

Caledor

It will. I can't give you an ETA though cause i'm quite busy these days and i don't really know when i'll work at it.

Salanewt

Darn, is this an issue with the simple summons patch being incompatible with the toolkit? Because I can totally tweak it at some point if it is.

Edit: Although, now that I think about it, a number of my patches may be affected... er, never mind I guess.

Just curious, but do you have any future plans for this patch aside from that little fix?
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

I imagine there would be - if nothing else, new animations and icons being addable would trigger updates.

Caledor

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 03, July, 2015, 10:30:42 AM
Darn, is this an issue with the simple summons patch being incompatible with the toolkit? Because I can totally tweak it at some point if it is.

Edit: Although, now that I think about it, a number of my patches may be affected... er, never mind I guess.

Just curious, but do you have any future plans for this patch aside from that little fix?
Yes I think it is. I went by memory though, i still haven't checked anything yet. I just recall that something in my rom had to be moved earlier in the code because it overlapped with the text.

As for plans, without input from you guys, ATM I have none. I already have my hands full with other extremely time consuming projects + summer life + university. Like Rolina said though, in the future there will probably be depending on what becomes available. It might even turn into a full overhaul someday.

Caledor

1.24b uploaded (patch compatible with gstlatoolkit)

@LordSquirtle. Yes, it was the simple summon patch. I moved the table from FB0000 to F7A000

TenkaiSp

Everything works fine. Yay. Thanks Caledor, you are Golden!  :Felix:
Now my translation feels complete.

Caledor

Salanewt

Ouch. Shouldn't be a huge problem for other people in the future because of how easy it is to move the table, but other patches may be a pain...

As for more in the future, awesome. I may actually have something that could be of interest to you in the future, but it's only abut 95% done and I have been too busy with other things (also university, M&L hacking resurgence, etc.) to finish it. A revised Star Mine animation that is purple. Up to you if you want it.

Let me know if you ever need a hand with anything!
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Caledor

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 12, July, 2015, 12:17:34 AM
Ouch. Shouldn't be a huge problem for other people in the future because of how easy it is to move the table, but other patches may be a pain...

As for more in the future, awesome. I may actually have something that could be of interest to you in the future, but it's only abut 95% done and I have been too busy with other things (also university, M&L hacking resurgence, etc.) to finish it. A revised Star Mine animation that is purple. Up to you if you want it.

Let me know if you ever need a hand with anything!
Thanks, Squirtle. i'll give it a look when its done. ATM things that would probably trigger new patches are:

for gs1, the infamous mars revive and the 4 turn death curse.
For both games a way to insert custom made icon (= compress them, cause rolina already made those). It should work great with your animations patch and would probably be the first step toward the full overhaul thing.
Then the tweaking of some effects. First that come to mind are Delusion and Haunt. Delusion needs to be stronger but i'm still not sure how, while for haunt making it trigger more often (40%?) should be enough. We already have advanced reviving, advanced regeneration and unleashes unleashed, and those are all thing i'll use in the future. The only thing that's keeping me from using them right now (especially the reviving one) is once again the lack of a gs1 counterpart.

Sadly I'm clueless on how to implement all of them but if you ever find yourself in need of an inspiration for new tweaks to GS you can count on me as you can see haha.

Good luck with your other projects. ;)

Rolina

If you need, I can make other sprite lines upon request.  Just describe what the ideal animation you'd have for that line is (even if you can't actually do it in game), and I'm sure I could come up with something.

By the way, the reason I've not made progress recently on my own playthrough... is harddrive failure.  I'm still recovering from losing my system drive (it was a seven year old drive, after all).  Luckily I've got most of that fixed up.  If I can find a good controller program that doesn't make me re-plug the controller every time I alt tab, I can get you better data on boss battles too.  Those last two would have been copied down if not for that slowing me down as much as it did - I figure you could get a better idea on my complaints for the Hydros Statue.

Caledor

Quote from: Rolina on 12, July, 2015, 11:59:21 AM
If you need, I can make other sprite lines upon request.  Just describe what the ideal animation you'd have for that line is (even if you can't actually do it in game), and I'm sure I could come up with something.

By the way, the reason I've not made progress recently on my own playthrough... is harddrive failure.  I'm still recovering from losing my system drive (it was a seven year old drive, after all).  Luckily I've got most of that fixed up.  If I can find a good controller program that doesn't make me re-plug the controller every time I alt tab, I can get you better data on boss battles too.  Those last two would have been copied down if not for that slowing me down as much as it did - I figure you could get a better idea on my complaints for the Hydros Statue.

I think it would be useless to make actual requests before someone finds out how to put them into the game. good luck with retrieving your hdd, and yes i'd be glad to read more of your playthrough