News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun: The Balance Age

Started by Caledor, 24, January, 2015, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledor

Well, I could've used another method, given that this one is by far the most time consuming one, since it implies grabbing a clean rom and manually reapply all the pieces this mod is composed of. On the upside, this is almost foolproof if i'm careful enough. Also, I'm gaining some value from the whole process... I've already made some minor adjustment and fixes here and there.

Together with the patch i'm also planning to upload another file... a small utility for every Golden Sun player out there.

Caledor

v1.30 hotfix is up. This should fix the yampi desert bug and any other map glitch there was. Actually, I'm more concerned about having forgotten something since i basically restarted from scratch and went trough the work of a year in a single day.

There are two downsides with this.
1) The patch is a lot bigger: an increase in 50% in size.
2) This isn't compatible with the gstlatoolkit anymore.

For 1), the editor is responsible. When editing text, the editor writes some bytes in the F79000-FA0000 region. For some reason, this time a lot more of those appeared.
2) was my decision. I think that the yampi bug came to be when i moved the simple summons table from FB0000 to F7A000 (v1.24), overwritting some of those bytes created by the editor in the process. The table was moved to make the mod compatible with the toolkit, so moving it back to where it was makes the two uncompatible again.

Anyway, this is only an hypotesis, cause I'm not sure that I actually overwrote something when moving the table, and I don't know what those bytes actually mean. Maybe Squirtle/Fox/Atrius knows.

Now, about the (not so) small utility i promised: it's a txt file that contains every single perfect class setup (hence, no djinn wasted) that can be created in TLA with this mod. Yes, all 13828. Hope you'll find it useful!

Chronotakular

Excellent. I'll patch this and slowly play-through. I'll let you know if I find anything strange as I go, though, there is no real way for me to fairly check the beginning of the game at this point and I don't feel like restarting. :P

Caledor

...Guess what? My fears were spot on, cause I forgot to lower the HP% multiplier after patching the PP multiplier.

So... v1.30 hotfix 2 is up! This also fixes the starting levels of Jenna Felix and Sheba (another thing i forgot to change).

QuoteI'll let you know if I find anything strange as I go
Thank you very much!

Etori

Sup! I just patched this onto a Lost Age game that's past the Yampi desert. Just wondering if Piers is supposed to not have frost? I feel like he is, but no matter what I do I can't get him to learn it :|

Caledor

Quote from: Etori on 30, January, 2016, 08:24:48 PM
Sup! I just patched this onto a Lost Age game that's past the Yampi desert. Just wondering if Piers is supposed to not have frost? I feel like he is, but no matter what I do I can't get him to learn it :|
I switched around the innate and class psynergies of Priest. Originally he had Douse as innate and Frost by class. With this mod he gets Frost as innate and Douse by class.

Guess this means that innate psynergies are set when starting the game and ignored afterwards... Tricky, I didn't know that.

So... sorry but looks like you'll have to start a new game with the mod on... sadly I can't add it to his base class like i did for ivan cause there's no more room for abilities. Yampi was fixed with latest release so you shouldn't have any problems, but if you do you can always tell me. ;)

Thanks for reporting anyway, I added this newly discovered info to the download page.

Etori

Ahh no worries! Just means I'll have to hack in a frost jewel.

Caledor

Quote from: Etori on 30, January, 2016, 09:05:02 PM
Ahh no worries! Just means I'll have to hack in a frost jewel.
Yeah, that would work too!

Rolina

I figure that it made more sense to just make the Frost Jewel TLA only, and for him to have it in his inventory.

Caledor

Quote from: Rolina on 30, January, 2016, 09:24:01 PM
I figure that it made more sense to just make the Frost Jewel TLA only, and for him to have it in his inventory.
Frost Jewel in TBS was somewhat useful for Colosso, in TLA would be completely redundant.

Aile~♥

Innate Psynergies are better because things like Frost Jewel take up inventory slots.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Alternately, you could add the spell to a character with a code. Although gems are cool and all in my opinion, I agree with Jamie in that filling up your inventory slots isn't really a good thing if the items in question only give you weaker abilities. They work well in the absence of innate abilities, or like how Dark Dawn did it.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Caledor

Looks like v1.30a is already in progress... looking at Piers today made me realize how i'm not really satisfied with him.

EDIT: ... and with fixes to boot. I outright skipped Heretic and Incantatrix when applying the v1.30 class changes  :sad:

Caledor

v1.30nf fix and v1.30a are up. Opening post and class spreadsheet have been updated.

Piers got a new, water-themed psynergy set (Wave) and regained Diamond Dust as his EPA. Other tweaks were done to ALL of his tri-elemental classes and I'm finally satisfied with their psynergy sets and overall power level.

The Wave series completely replaces the Cool series but keeps the icon set (more or less... only minor changes were done to Cool) since they can pass of as waves and all my attempts looked worse than the original. The names were taken from Rolina's Class Tweaks for TLA (as usual :P) so... thanks again Role!

Ah, and since Watery Grave is now used by Tidal Surge, Caladbolg's unleash also had its animation and name changed to avoid redundancy.

VardenSalad

Just wanted to post to say the changes sound good...and congrats on 40K views on the thread.
Never forget why you started playing.

Rolina

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 30, January, 2016, 11:14:00 PM
Innate Psynergies are better because things like Frost Jewel take up inventory slots.
You mean like the one it already takes up?  My suggestion was to move it from TBS to TLA...

Caledor

Seeing how the first two Wave tiers aren't perfect animation wise (they were made for unleashes, so the animation acts like a single target attack), I leave the option of reverting to Cool in your hands. Let me know if you wish for it or if you like more the new one.

Rolina

Which wave animations are you using?  Not Dreamtide, I hope...  The other three look like they scale properly.

Caledor

Quote from: Rolina on 02, February, 2016, 07:07:51 PM
Which wave animations are you using?  Not Dreamtide, I hope...  The other three look like they scale properly.
Other three? I'm using Dreamtide / Raging Flood / Watery Grave. There are actually more? Also, Raging Flood acts like Dreamtide: always hits only the leftmost with the animation.

Aile~♥

One of the animation variants available in Salanewt's animation overhaul patch looks somewhat like Dreamtide but actually hits the correct number of targets. I don't remember which one, unfortunately.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]