News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun: The Balance Age

Started by Caledor, 24, January, 2015, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolina

Quote from: Caledor on 02, February, 2016, 07:17:56 PM
Quote from: Rolina on 02, February, 2016, 07:07:51 PM
Which wave animations are you using?  Not Dreamtide, I hope...  The other three look like they scale properly.
Other three? I'm using Dreamtide / Raging Flood / Watery Grave. There are actually more? Also, Raging Flood acts like Dreamtide: always hits only the leftmost with the animation.
* Rolina winces

Yeah, don't use Dream tide - use the Mithril Blade's Lethe Albion for one of them.  Dream Tide doesn't work well at all.

Caledor

Lethe Albion actually seems out of place with those glyphs. IMO Dream Tide fits much better. Also... the issue with Albion is the same... it hits only the leftmost.

Rolina

Hmm... check with Squirtle.  IIRC, he's figured out how to tweak animations to a degree.  Using Lethe Albion as a base, I'm sure you could make it work.

Caledor

I know but I've already asked him for help with the 2 Revive things and he's been quite busy the past few months so I definitively won't ask him this one now, since it's of (much) lower priority and I don't really want to bother him more. So for the forseeable future it's gonna stay like this.
Or, like i already said, reverting to Cool is always an option, and it's totally up to you guys. Just let me know.

Rolina

I'd rather save Cool for alt classes.  I've always thought Piers should be running a water-based class, after all.

Caledor

I know and i do agree with you... but here's no place for both. not enough icons (and i don't want duplicates... i did my best to avoid those).

Salanewt

Aw, thanks for being thoughtful about that I guess. :P

I've been meaning to toy with animations again, so I guess I can start with those requests tonight... That way I can get back to Disco Sun. Or maybe Leaf's secret request, which was about 95% done before I hit a wall. Or the shadow thing I wanted to do. Or a "Disco Inferno" ability...

- I found the field effects pointer list in GS1 a while ago, so that just involves some coding. You wanted a 50% revive, right? Do you remember what ability effect ID is the one for battle?

- As for Revive, I think I know what I did wrong before. I will restart that one from scratch, which shouldn't be too hard provided I can find enough redundant instructions to change

Waves: Yeah, the overhaul patch includes a third variant of Dreamtide and Watery Grave; Raging Flood is also an option, being related to Lethe Albrion but probably without the glyphs (used by Aqua Hydra). The major downside to the patch is that you then have to change all of the ability animation IDs, so you'd be further ahead trying that or individual fixes first.

Edit: Oh, wait, I just realized. You're probably already using that wave, hence the discussion. Then yeah, it's either overhaul or a singular fix just for that third wave.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Caledor

QuoteAw, thanks for being thoughtful about that I guess. :P
Well it's the least I could do :P

BTW, I'm totally fine with the set of animations I've chosen (yes I tried the new one that comes with your patch)... the only thing that bugs me is that only Watery Grave acts like a proper multi target psy. So... what i hypothetically need is for Dreamtide and Raging Flood to act like Watery Grave (= the animation hits EVERY targeted enemy and not only the leftmost one).

However, as I already said, that's very low priority, since i can just revert to Cool in the meantime. I'd much rather have the 2 Revive tweaks for GS1 so I can end it for good and finally play with my own hack :P (i kept telling myself in the past months that i should've waited for it to be complete).

50% Revive - 5 is the ID for the 100% heal one that works on the field and 56 is the one for the 50% revive (Quartz) that doesn't work on the field. Didn't get which one you wanted so i just dropped both. Anyway, yes, making the 56 useable on the field is all I need.

Mars Revive - Great!

Salanewt

Good to know, thanks - I ask mainly because #56 does have field code already (and is the second last ability effect to have a pointer in the field list). What's weird is that using any ability aside from a select few automatically makes it a utility effect, even when a utility isn't set. Changing the Revive ability so it has the 50% effect actually works exactly like you would expect; revives to 50% in the field. I guess the utility code works a bit differently between the two games.

So it looks like I will need to look elsewhere to resolve that issue, assuming you want both field effects to have spells associated with them? I was going to suggest changing water of life if that were the case, but I forgot that GS1 has a weird issue with IDs being above a certain value. Although, you may be able to swap water of life with herbs or something...

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Caledor

I know 56 has a field code cause it can be used outside of battle. The issue with it is that it's bugged. It doesn't cost any PP and the sound played is the one for a failed cast (like cure poison on a non-poisoned character). I made the 50% revive in battle work by repointing the id5 revive to 56. That's why it heals fully out of battle and only 50% in battle. Honestly I would've dealt with it by adding a LSR to the HP value (guess it must be stored somewhere) at end of the field function of id5 Revive (if I knew where the function was and if there was some space).

Also... swapping items is not an option. It would mess up tons of drops in the maps and I know nothing of them.

Aile~♥

Quote from: Caledor on 03, February, 2016, 12:43:32 PM
BTW, I'm totally fine with the set of animations I've chosen (yes I tried the new one that comes with your patch)... the only thing that bugs me is that only Watery Grave acts like a proper multi target psy. So... what i hypothetically need is for Dreamtide and Raging Flood to act like Watery Grave (= the animation hits EVERY targeted enemy and not only the leftmost one).
Really? I could swear there was a variant that visually hits every targeted enemy but otherwise looks mostly like Dreamtide. I used it as Dreamtide's animation when using the multi-target unleashes patch in a hack I haven't uploaded.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Salanewt

Jamie: If I recall correctly, the overhaul patch adds a third variant of Dreamtide and Watery Grave that is more or less a combination of the two because the unique ID for it isn't really defined in their function. Whatever makes Dreamtide single target is likely in a Dreamtide-exclusive section of the code... isolating that may actually help with removing that restriction in other animations as well.

Caledor: Huh. I guess I forgot to have my earbud in for that effect. Weird that they would do it like this. Best guess is that the effect itself isn't recognized as a valid revive effect out of battle?

Do you use the full revive for anything out of battle? If not, then a super easy fix would be to swap the pointers around; if so, then I will have to investigate further.

Swapping: Wouldn't it mostly just involve switching the ability IDs used by items around? Probably less relevant given the issue at hand, but I would think the items themselves would be largely unaffected.

Caledor

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 03, February, 2016, 04:51:14 PM
Caledor: Huh. I guess I forgot to have my earbud in for that effect. Weird that they would do it like this. Best guess is that the effect itself isn't recognized as a valid revive effect out of battle?
Very likely.

QuoteDo you use the full revive for anything out of battle? If not, then a super easy fix would be to swap the pointers around; if so, then I will have to investigate further.
Won't the problem with it be the same then?

BTW... why don't you try sending me the addresses where the pointer for field id 5 and 56 are located? Maybe I can find a solution myself and save you some time :)

Salanewt

I didn't think the issue would be the same, yet swapping the pointers around doesn't fix it either. Really weird, but I think I may have found the actual solution; the normal revive seems to have some extra code that allows it to cost PP and play the normal sound effect. Plus do other things. I haven't exactly pinpointed it even though I think I know (it doesn't look like the others are set up to be recognized as revives, in the same way as normal Revive). Merely changing a branch in the 50% revive fixes this issue flawlessly as far as I can tell. The other revives can be fixed by also tweaking their branches in the same way, should you or anyone else wish to do so.

080AA356 = You can fix the 50% revive by changing the branch here; 16-bit instruction, should be xE7E4.

I will take another look at the Mars revive stuff fairly soon; I'm just dreading the fact that I have to start that one over, because I remember it being less fun than other animations I have toyed with. :(

Caledor

Actually I asked for the pointers cause I wanted to look at both of them, guess for the time being I'll try with this one and see what happens. Thanks and good luck with the animations... hope it won't be too much of a hassle

Salanewt

Oh, that makes sense. Here you go!

080AA18C = Field Effects list (GS1)

Please note that it ends with effect 57, and the one pointer you will see the most is basically the end of the section/code; some effects will branch there anyway, while others may branch to a slightly different location (50% revive normally does, for example).

And... relocated the animation table. Thanks, and I doubt it will be for very long. :P

Edit: I just realized how I completely broke it before. It turns out I forgot to correct Dew's animation, so the game was just restarting the second I tried to execute it. Oops.

Edit 2: The djinn work for me for the most part, except for the fact that the graphic always changes into a Venus djinni for some reason. Should be good to go if I can fix that. It may also be a compatibility/version issue though; could you please tell me what it says at x080000A0 (in actual ASCII/text)?

Caledor

Quotecould you please tell me what it says at x080000A0 (in actual ASCII/text)?
Golden_Sun_AAGSE01

also: about 50% revive. thanks for the pointers, they allowed me to understand the whole thing. your fix works flawlessly from a gameplay perspective. But it plays the wrong sound, so i'll try tinkering with the original revive (i'll try with my original plan of squeezing a LSR to the HP somewhere) and see how that works.

Salanewt

Awesome, thanks; same as my version.

Revive: Huh, but I'm happy to help anyway. Hopefully the pointers help you fix it 100% (I thought it was the right sound, but I guess I heard wrong)!

As for what I am experiencing with the Mars revive, it looks like I removed a certain instruction without thinking to fix it somehow; this results in the Djinni graphic reverting back to Venus. Otherwise, everything seems to be working right now. I have to shift some things around, but all I need to do is add another instruction somehow and we should be good to go.

Edit: This is what I get.

Download below; could you please test it for me and tell me if it works for you?

Caledor

Guess what? Everything works flawlessly by combining your solution with mine! :P

I replaced in the 100% revive function the mov r0, r10 with the ASR to the HP and the STRH that followed with a branch to the mov r0, r10 of the revive 50% function in order to regain the instructions lost; then applied your change so that everything links back to the original function... et voilà! Mission accomplished! Thanks, man!

Why it takes FIVE instructions (in the 50% revive) to accomplish the same thing i did with a single ASR is (and will gladly remain) a mistery.

Eagerly waiting for the animations now! :D

Salanewt

Sweet, it worked! Happy to help. Not quite sure why 50% uses five instructions, though it could be for rounding up in the event that max HP is an odd number? Ah well.

As for the animations, they are in my previous post! I never got the Missingno thing to happen, but at the same time I may have made a tweak when you originally pointed that out and forgot about said tweak. The new patch should work as intended, and will be added to the Downloads section once you give me the green light to do so.