News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

[RELEASE] Golden Sun: The Balance Age

Started by Caledor, 24, January, 2015, 12:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledor

searching on google for "my boy unable to detect backup memory" gives a ton of results which are somehow ALL golden sun related. Suggestions vary: they go from starting a new game to trying a different ROM or even changing the emulator versions.

I think you should try doing this search yourself to find a solution cause the issue lies most likely with the emulator rather than the ROM

JustBeKrillin

Quote from: Caledor on 29, August, 2016, 09:30:23 PM
searching on google for "my boy unable to detect backup memory" gives a ton of results which are somehow ALL golden sun related. Suggestions vary: they go from starting a new game to trying a different ROM or even changing the emulator versions.

I think you should try doing this search yourself to find a solution cause the issue lies most likely with the emulator rather than the ROM
Rude much? I did research it and none of the suggestions I found worked. So I came here to you sense this is your mod. Last resort in hopes youd have an answer. Do not just assume I didnt research before asking. Spent 3 days trying to find an answer, seriously, why are people so hateful anymore.

Caledor

I wasn't being rude and definitively not hateful... i just tried to point you in the right direction cause - like i said - the issue lies most likely with the emulator for 3 reasons:
- i did nothing that could potentially affect how saving works
- my boy has some pretty well known issues with the game itself (google kinda gave it away)
- other emulators work just fine, plus i use my boy too and never had issues with it.

Sadly, that's all i can say if you don't give me more info

leaf

Here's an idea: Try a different emulator.
[spoiler=quotes]
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O[/spoiler]

Caledor

A-month-has-passed update: slowly working on the changes, university is still taking its toll.

Enemy groups are done, all the way from Eastern Sea to Anemos Inner Sanctum + a few minor changes from Gondowan Cliffs to Gabomba Catacombs. All those changes have 1 thing in common: increased enemies/battle ratio to slightly more than 2 on average

Some of them have been drastically changed to better fit the theme of the location, others are more or less still the same. There are a lot of new enemies, mostly palette swaps, plus one never seen before enemy (the only unused sprite left).

I have already updated levels and exp/coin gain for all those groups, the next step is to update movesets, then stats, then drops and finally... (beta) release!

Rolina

Sounds like fun!~  Can't wait to try it out.

marco_silva85

I've being spectating this forum all these years and  just registered to congratulate you Caledor on your work, and the community for their support.
It is fascinating to see a person having this passion and effort on such a great game, This is the work of a life.
Good luck with your life, eager to try the revamped version since I've finish Golden Sun 10 years ago.

Caledor

Thank you VERY much for the kind words, marco. I promise i'll finish this someday, I've come way too far to leave things halfway done. ;)

Caledor

Movesets are done: starting to work on drops. Also, i think a recap of changes isn't a bad idea since it's been 10 pages of thread since last release.

So, from v1.34 to the upcoming new mod:
New Class Chart
A lot of pieces of equipment tweaked: overall less luck and slightly more crit. Dragon equipment (forged, sans boots) bestows psynergy. New pieces of equipment.
Character have more innate HP and gain less HP from djinn. Luck grows with levels. Base elemental stats rearranged.
Big ailment overhaul: Debuffs are a lot more frequent among classes, Multi-target ones have a range of 5, Single target ones have lower base success rate. Single target buffs last less: 5 turns instead of 7. Success chance and recovery chance for/from debuffs/ailments tweaked. New formula below.
Luck higher than 40 grants immunity to stun and sleep.
Break used less frequently
New formula for healing (below).
Enemies: FULL overhaul. Changed levels, stats, drops, vulnerabilities, elemental stats, movesets and enemy groups from Gabomba all the way to Anemos Sanctum, 1 brand new enemy, in TLA some were removed, others reappear from TBS. Increased number of enemies on average in random battles. Treasure Isle overworld enemies are now those of eastern sea overworld.
MANY other minor tweaks.

Functions
Ailment/Debuff Infliction chance: [(Caster's_Level/4 - Target's_Luck/2)*3 + Base_chance + Vulnerability's_25]*Area_multiplier
Ailment Recovery chance: Luck - Level/2 - Turns*5 + Base_chance
Healing: Base_Power * [((Ele_Power-100)*2/3 + 100)/100]

PS: i think i'll ask for this thread to be closed when the beta release of the new mod will be close enough, who can do that?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Good work!

QuotePS: i think i'll ask for this thread to be closed when the beta release of the new mod will be close enough, who can do that?
Want to keep Ban The User Above topic as the only topic with 100+ pages? Sounds like a plan. XD

As for who can do that... Only Atrius and Kain. (Honestly believe that topic creators should have been given that ability from the start, but oh well... - Thinking of it as two options: Admin-Close, and User-Close. So everyone knows who closed it. - /I/ would go even further by allowing Topic Creators to set replies to not appear unless approved, though... Off by default, of course... but could be good for a special type of poll, application entry.... or even a quiz with a dead line. Can also be thought as a form of low-level moderating. The ability would probably go in a user group with people that have 100+ posts to serve as a reward to those who are well-behaving and active. - But of course, all of that is theoretical, and there's not enough activity for it to mean anything, anyway.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

You could always make updates to the original Balanced Age here - no need to close it when conversations could still happen too.

Caledor

well, since i'm literally moving everything, there's no point in leaving this thread open.
moreover, any discussion that is on topic here would still be in the new one since it's a continuation the current balance age.

EDIT 21/10/16: I found out how to tweak treasure chests so there will be some item rearrangement in TLA.

Rolina

To be fair, your new mod is different.  Think of this as being akin to the SkyRe vs PerMa mods in the Skyrim modding community.  Both do something similar by the same author, but what people use and talk about is largely a manner of personal preference.

Caledor

don't know anything about the 2 mods you mentioned but yeah i do agree on the "different" part.
There's gonna be A LOT of new content and even more balancing, especially with the changes to treasures i announced earlier.

Caledor

treasure rearrangement is done.

this was mostly done to associate levels with forgeable materials. So, no more Stardust in the western sea where it's completely useless and no more orichalcon at contigo, when you've yet to see golem cores, sala tail and mythril silver, which forge weaker equipment. Moreover, now the materials can be dropped from monsters while they're still useful: examples are tear stone from sea dragon in aqua rock, and stardust from living armor in ankhol.

Target levels:
Tear stone: ~21. very early eastern sea.
Stardust: ~23. early to mid eastern sea. Taopo, aqua rock and early gaia rock.
Sylph feather: ~25. Mid to late e.sea. Ankhol to lemuria.
Dragon Skin: ~28. early w.sea. From right after grind till shaman village.
Golem Core: ~30. Contigo till reunion.
Sala Tail: ~33. From reunion to loho.
Mythril silver: ~35. Loho to Prox.
Orichalcon & Dark Matter: After teleport.

Other changes are about some weapons being moved to reduce or increase the gap between one and the next:
a few examples: atm there are 4 maces in the eastern sea in a span of ~5 levels and 3 in the whole western sea, 2 of which are after teleport. So, hagbone has been moved to trial road after ju. lighthouse and thanatos to right after lemuria. For the same reason mythril blade is now a light blade: too many longswords in ~3 levels and the gap from masamune/burning sword to tisiphone was way too big.

Also i'm currently checking and tweaking the attack values for many weapons (especially the ones that were moved obviously) cause i'm using a formula this time instead of winging it.

Oh and light blades now increase both agility and defense. I thought they should be buffed up a bit cause maces seemed better as a whole.

Rolina

Defense seems to be an odd choice... but that being said, not sure what else you could do with the stats available.

Caledor

Well yeah, i was really out of options. Defense is maybe the best option i was left with cause: i have armors that raise attack but no weapon that raise defense; it's unique among weapons; could kinda make sense if you imagine characters parrying with them.

Rolina

Yeah, I had spears doing that in my system (with Ankhs doing the same for my equivalent of Spell Defense).  Kinda makes you wish you had a little more weapon types to work with, huh?

Caledor

Well, ATM i'm kinda satisfied with the current setup: I have longswords for unleashes, axes for all-out offense, staves for casters, ankhs for status defense, maces that double up as spellcasting enhancers for warriors and endurance enhancers for casters, and daggers for the agility+defense buff.

Still, if i had to choose another type, i'd surely pick scythes to enhance debuffs.

Rolina

Scythes and Spears are my go-tos, since both are already in GS.  I mean, come on - why can't I use the Trident of Ankhol as a weapon? :c

Plus, it'd be cool to give the warriors different weapon loadouts like what mages have.  Would give more flavor to them.