Golden Sun Hacking Community
November 19, 2017, 06:29:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golden Sun: The Found Age  (Read 7372 times)

I need saves to test encounters in GS Reloaded!

Great Member

Coins: 13

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 01:32:11 AM »

Guess I'll throw my 2 cents here.
Why don't you make a simple and compact map/chart/summary that contains all the plot changes you're making so we can easily keep track of them? I'm sure you know what you're doing, it's just that I (like others) are finding difficult to follow you and this way we can't advice you well.
For example, when i read your post the first time, I thought as well that moving the blacksmith to prox might leave a gap mid-game, and make all the items you're going to get from tear stone etc either too weak or (if you pump or tweak those items, like I think you're doing) leave you overloaded with choices late-game. But like I said, I'm having difficulties keeping track with the revised plot so i want to hear your thoughts about this first, since i might have just missed your solution to this problem, if the problem even existed in the first place.

EDIT: forgot to say the most important thing. I've seen you are having issues with text compression. Just download gstlatoolkit and forgot about the whole compression thing. I used it myself for my italian rom (had to tweak the source code a bit to make it compatible though) and never ever gone back. you can find it here
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:44:24 AM by Caledor » Logged
View Profile

Novice Member

Coins: 0

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 03:12:33 AM »

Guess I'll throw my 2 cents here.
Why don't you make a simple and compact map/chart/summary that contains all the plot changes you're making so we can easily keep track of them? I'm sure you know what you're doing, it's just that I (like others) are finding difficult to follow you and this way we can't advice you well.
For example, when i read your post the first time, I thought as well that moving the blacksmith to prox might leave a gap mid-game, and make all the items you're going to get from tear stone etc either too weak or (if you pump or tweak those items, like I think you're doing) leave you overloaded with choices late-game. But like I said, I'm having difficulties keeping track with the revised plot so i want to hear your thoughts about this first, since i might have just missed your solution to this problem, if the problem even existed in the first place.

EDIT: forgot to say the most important thing. I've seen you are having issues with text compression. Just download gstlatoolkit and forgot about the whole compression thing. I used it myself for my italian rom (had to tweak the source code a bit to make it compatible though) and never ever gone back. you can find it here
I totally plan on making such a chart, but as I said in my first response in this topic, this game isn't done yet. I can't rightly make a chart for something that isn't complete yet, as I'm liable to change things. And, as I said in my first response, that's why I'm not so into discussing such details. I totally get that details might be hard to follow, but that's probably because the details are currently fluid.

But yeah, those spreadsheets I made about new psy and classes? Totally planning on doing the same for item changes in this game, how the smith works, and the general new order of the game (leaving some stuff for y'all to find out; don't worry, the game itself will guide you along nicely). But I'll do it when it's actually done. That's when I'll actually want such advice; it's far easier to adjust things when there's a foundation than constantly adjust the foundation before it's built. At least, it is for me.

As for the toolkit, I gave it a try, but I just prefer the editor for text stuff. Compression's rarely an issue.

You going to put anything in Yallam? Not much else was got there in the first place.

Obaba tells you that her old friend Yepp knows the route to Lemuria and lives in Yallam (she doesn't know that Yepp has since died). One of the biggest flaws in the original game is that getting trough the Sea of Time is an incredibly vague ordeal, and there's basically no hints that Yallam will help you get there.

That's Yallam's purpose here. Less useful than before? Sure, but it's hardly the only town without much to do.
View Profile
Rolina
The Fulminous Witch
Jupiter Clan

Template maker turned lurker

Alchemist

Coins: 10

I am: wondering if we can get our clan position changed...
Clan Position: Grand Overlady of Jupiter

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »

Yeah, accusing me of "loving the smith" like that's going a bit far.  To be honest with you, I'm not overly fond of how blacksmithing is handled in GS - I'd gut it and replace it with a different system entirely myself.  As Mis said, I'm concerned with what's going on in the mid-game.  All of your focus has been on end and post game, which in an RPG is the smallest part of the game.  Sure, it's the climax, but the lion's share of the game has been the effort in getting there, and from what I had read you seemed to be focusing purely on that while taking a lot of things that were meant for mid game and redesigning them as endgame content.  It's a worry about pacing and game balance I'm having here.

View Profile WWW

Novice Member

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2015, 08:47:55 PM »

Yeah, accusing me of "loving the smith" like that's going a bit far.  To be honest with you, I'm not overly fond of how blacksmithing is handled in GS - I'd gut it and replace it with a different system entirely myself.  As Mis said, I'm concerned with what's going on in the mid-game.  All of your focus has been on end and post game, which in an RPG is the smallest part of the game.  Sure, it's the climax, but the lion's share of the game has been the effort in getting there, and from what I had read you seemed to be focusing purely on that while taking a lot of things that were meant for mid game and redesigning them as endgame content.  It's a worry about pacing and game balance I'm having here.
And my problem is, you seem to think moving the smith to the end of the game means, welp, no more midgame. Because that's literally all I've said that I'm changing in terms of the endgame (barring things I'm changing that are universal, like harder bosses throughout the game). Seriously, I'm genuinely curious: what other indications have I given, at all, that I'm not focused on the midgame? Please tell me. I would love to know.

Especially after addressing your unfounded concerns by pointing out all the new drops from Djinn (and better drops from Mimics), the upgraded Lemuria Spring that only gives good items and not those that outclass each other, Garoh's new shop given it now comes after Lemuria, and the sheer fact that now Team Isaac is part of that very midgame. I mean, that's really the biggest nail in the coffin to any concern that I'm too focused on the endgame, isn't it? Why I would I change the entire order of the game just to make the late game gameplay swap into a midgame one if I wasn't interested in the midgame?

So please, I'm being utterly serious here, tell me how you even came close to the conclusion that "all of [my] focus has been on end and post game". In exact detail. Because if I'm really giving that impression from what I've written, I'd love to know how so I don't do it anymore.
View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2015, 10:46:08 PM »

I have a little thing to say/ask about some of the lore you're putting in this game.
From what I read (I haven't read the whole topic yet Sad) Ankhol and Lemuria are enemies and Obaba and Yepp know eachother. I don't know how much dialogue was about it in the game, but there was something about Shaman vs. Anemos.
Are you planning to add more lore to the game? Perhaps about Babi?

Anyway, I'm definitely excited to play this interesting hack once I have the time for it.
With all those usernames in it now, I guess we could almost call it the community hack.

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 12:10:50 AM »

I have a little thing to say/ask about some of the lore you're putting in this game.
From what I read (I haven't read the whole topic yet Sad) Ankhol and Lemuria are enemies and Obaba and Yepp know eachother. I don't know how much dialogue was about it in the game, but there was something about Shaman vs. Anemos.
Are you planning to add more lore to the game? Perhaps about Babi?

More lore? Yes. Just finished rewriting the Lemuria arc, and new lore from that section alone includes:

-What exactly Djinn are, and how they do what they do
-What the Wise One is (this is a very big change in this game)
-Who precisely made the seal on Alchemy
-Hintings at the cultures of the Lost Age (Lemuria, but also Ankohl, Tundaria, Zol, Anemos, and Aleph, precursor to Vale)
-Hintings about Garoh's past (leading to further lore gained by traveling in Garoh, which is mandatory in this game rather than a sidequest)

Buuuuut Babi gets the shaft. Lunpa is now Lish, a seer, who has a very different role: all of Lemuria agrees that the world is shrinking, so the conflict between King Caledor and Lord Mirele (this game's Hydros and Conservato) is how to go about solving the problem. Lish's visions tell of eight heroes that will save the world, and Caledor trusts him. Whereas Mirele thinks Lish is a fraud, and that the stakes are too high to rely on such visions. So... I guess Misery and Lishy are enemies in this game? Sorry, guys! At least all three of you are good guys; Mirele is definitely a better man than Conservato.

And the draught's power running dry, which kills Babi, has greater implications (in this game, it's ambiguous whether he ran out, or if it stopped working). Babi's death is just foreshadowing about a larger crisis, and (like in the original) frees Kraden to show his quest for Lemuria as being of his own volition. In Golden Sun, Babi is a thief who seeks eternal life and power, and kidnaps Sheba to force her village to work for him. Not the best guy around. Considering he's never seen in Golden Sun 2, only mentioned, it was easy to reduce his role, and as I'm more interested in deeper lore, dialogue about him was largely replaced. He still dies, and Piers still doubts Kraden for his association with Babi, and Babi still is treated with disdain by Lemurians, but it's certainly a reduced role. Sorry, Babi fans.

In terms of further lore, with the Shaman Rod and what precisely Sheba's destiny is... yeah, we're definitely getting some concrete answers. Between that, additions to Piers's plot, and additional info about Ivan and even Mia (basically backstory about growing up with Alex), all the non-Vale characters get their due in terms of plot.

But all in all, my focus is to make this game actually live up to the name "The Lost Age", and this game is all about the implications of that age. What the old world was like, how the consequences of its wars ripple in the modern age, and what the consequences will be when the seal is unleashed and we enter "The Found Age" of new Alchemy.

Anyway, I'm definitely excited to play this interesting hack once I have the time for it.
With all those usernames in it now, I guess we could almost call it the community hack.

Eh, I'm not really comfortable calling it the community hack, just because I'm the one making all the decisions, and I'm not nearly arrogant enough to say that my ideas speak for a community that I'm barely even a part of. I just think it's important to give credit where credit is due!
View Profile

I need saves to test encounters in GS Reloaded!

Great Member

Coins: 13

« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 03:12:13 AM »

I'm really amazed to see how much potential this 13 years old game still holds. Even more, considering that the only other community solely dedicated on game hacking I know of, is focused on the famous/infamous FF7 no less. Seeing Dark Dawn, it makes me think that Camelot never fully realized this either, and that's a shame.
View Profile
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 07:55:20 AM »

More lore? Yes. Just finished rewriting the Lemuria arc, and new lore from that section alone includes:

-What exactly Djinn are, and how they do what they do
-What the Wise One is (this is a very big change in this game)
-Who precisely made the seal on Alchemy
-Hintings at the cultures of the Lost Age (Lemuria, but also Ankohl, Tundaria, Zol, Anemos, and Aleph, precursor to Vale)
-Hintings about Garoh's past (leading to further lore gained by traveling in Garoh, which is mandatory in this game rather than a sidequest)

Alright that sounds good.
In terms of further lore, with the Shaman Rod and what precisely Sheba's destiny is... yeah, we're definitely getting some concrete answers. Between that, additions to Piers's plot, and additional info about Ivan and even Mia (basically backstory about growing up with Alex), all the non-Vale characters get their due in terms of plot.
But all in all, my focus is to make this game actually live up to the name "The Lost Age", and this game is all about the implications of that age. What the old world was like, how the consequences of its wars ripple in the modern age, and what the consequences will be when the seal is unleashed and we enter "The Found Age" of new Alchemy.
That's actually a pretty good idea.

Eh, I'm not really comfortable calling it the community hack, just because I'm the one making all the decisions, and I'm not nearly arrogant enough to say that my ideas speak for a community that I'm barely even a part of. I just think it's important to give credit where credit is due!
I know.
I'm really amazed to see how much potential this 13 years old game still holds. Even more, considering that the only other community solely dedicated on game hacking I know of, is focused on the famous/infamous FF7 no less. Seeing Dark Dawn, it makes me think that Camelot never fully realized this either, and that's a shame.
Yeah, GS holds pretty much potential.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 07:57:19 AM by Luna_blade, Reason: added quote » Logged

++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>.
View Profile
MaxiPower
Feed Me Coins!!
Venus Clan

Great Member

Coins: 1

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 08:30:43 PM »

I havent played GS TLA in maybe 5 years. I cant wait till you finish this, im eager to jump back in see this
View Profile
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
November 16, 2017, 09:44:44 AM
Fox: Very quiet month.
November 11, 2017, 04:16:27 AM
tino_animate: Hello everyone. Ive just recently replayed Golden sun and TLA. I got really inspired and I'm interested in creating a prequel of Golden Sun. Unfurtunatly i know bery little on how to do it bit im willing to learn how. I need a few people to help me. I'm sure we can create a very well story based on what we know of the games. Anyone interested?
October 16, 2017, 09:57:26 AM
AZVRE: Im pretty okay, what about you?
October 16, 2017, 01:17:14 AM
Fox: I think the nine is doing a cirno on me, though... Anyway, how is everyone doing today?
October 16, 2017, 01:12:20 AM
Fox: onesixtwo*
October 16, 2017, 01:12:00 AM
Fox: Okay... Meanwhile... ah... 162 being a number that has made itself known to me.... I look at the relationships of the numbers.... 162  1+6+2 = 9 ; onesizetwo = alphabetical order = 9 characters ; Distance apart analysis: os = 4 = 1[6][2] , st = 1 = [1]6[2] , ot = 5 = [1][6]2 ; ost = original sound track?
October 15, 2017, 06:31:17 PM
AZVRE: ah okay :D i thought i caused some trouble
October 14, 2017, 07:49:16 AM
Fox: Oh i know... You were messing with yours, and the description says mine. It's kind of a funny bug. :P
October 13, 2017, 08:18:31 PM
AZVRE: I did not edit your profile tho. Just to erase that confusion ^^"
October 12, 2017, 04:49:56 AM
Fox: e.g. this art = http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/Themes/Jupiter/images/catbg.gif (etc.)
October 12, 2017, 04:48:58 AM
Fox: I have a question: Where did the art for the headers come from? (Like the backgrounds to each of these things... "Affiliates", etc... Asking just incase it inspires me to do something... but if Charon made it, then that's cool too.
October 11, 2017, 04:23:02 AM
FoxWas thinking about having something for the editor anniversary, but I believe I had to change my mind....
October 10, 2017, 12:58:36 PM
Fox: That's alright. ;       @AZVRE's profile: "Current Activity:  Editing the profile of Fox." ...Eh... That looks weird.
October 07, 2017, 11:45:16 PM
Atrius: Sorry about that, the auto bot detection is still working, but it also requires an admin to visit the site regularly.
October 04, 2017, 04:17:40 AM
Fox: Yeah, it does bring a small amount of activity. Not good quality activity, but it's still activity, nonetheless.  Now if we can get them to randomly post pictures and vdeios!
October 04, 2017, 02:10:48 AM
Majora: If nothing else, I like how they're copying the content of real posts at random. Interesting to see how they adapt to seem more authentic
October 03, 2017, 08:29:38 PM
Fox: medico6601 = Most likely another bot. :(
September 26, 2017, 03:32:24 PM
Fox: by ten* Excuse me.
September 26, 2017, 03:32:12 PM
Fox: Oh yes... Also multiply all levels by two. (So actually, an adept will have levels of 54, 3, 2, and 1, rather than 5, 0, 0, 0.... if going by those.)
September 26, 2017, 03:29:07 PM
Fox: ...I mean the theory also saves space on the Status Screen.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise