News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

Started by Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas, 18, February, 2015, 04:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

This topic may seem somewhat similarly to the Helpful Info / One-off questions topics, but it is here to list the most important things that someone may ask... while leaving out the rest of the obvious stuff. Think of it as a "If you need help, look here first." kind of thing.

Q:  I set up some classes, but they're not working properly.  What did I do wrong?

(WIP answer?)
A: Since the list of classes is read backwards and returns the first match it finds, make sure you put the most restrictive classes of the same class type last. The class type is calculated before the comparisons are made, so if you need to know how class type works consider reading the Class Hacking Topic.
Without the Class Separation Patch all PCs share the same classes, but Jenna and Piers get a different base class line.
With the Class Separation Patch all PCs are literally separated and cannot be shared. Party 1 is 0..19, Party 2 with 20+...

Q:  Why are some artifacts not popping up in the shop?

(WIP answer?)
A:
- If you've just edited the shop's artifact list, make sure you haven't visited the shop already. Artifacts are only added when you first visit the shop. To know if you've visited the shop yet, Check the flag in the flag menu. (Use code 03001238:01 in GS2 to enable debug mode. Do button combo B+Select to open flag menu, and look at flags 0x400-0x41F, those are the shop flags, and might be in the same order as the shops are in the Editor.)
-Check if the item type of the item fits the shop.
-Do you have the Rare flag checked? (I think this just adds the item as an artifact when you drop the item? So not sure if this flag is needed or not in Shop Artifact lists?)

Q:  Is it possible to have more than 8 PCs?

A: The easy answer is no.  If you're willing to do a lot of hacking, it may be possible, though, but you will need to know assembly.

Q:  Why are some enemy graphics not popping up?

A: It's likely because there's not enough room for them in VRAM. (See 0x06010000 in VBA's Tile Viewer.) ; If the enemies contain large sprites, you may be able to have three, but if they use smaller sprites, maybe more. (A maximum of six?)

Q:  Why can't I use certain letter combinations in my text strings?

(WIP, and I may need to study this.)
A: Golden Sun uses a Huffman type of compression, I think.  Golden Sun likely generates tables in a way that the most used character combinations probably are the most compressed, which means that there is a chance that letter combinations that don't occur might not be possible without changing the compression tables?  My guess is that this could be fixed by regenerating those compression tables, but for now, you can use a program called gstoolkit (Which I think inserts the text as uncompressed.) as a substitute.

Q:  Why doesn't the World Map display in the editor?

A: The World Map is formatted a little differently than all the other maps (For example, there's a big pointer table to each sub-map it has.), and no compatibility has been focused on making it work. You can still edit Map Code, though.

If you can think of any notable ones that should be added to the list, feel free to post below.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Luna_blade

I guess you can add to the list:
Q: Is it possible to edit the world map?
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Salanewt

I guess I can provide a bit of an answer here.

A: Yes and no. The editor can't display the map to do much with it, but you can still edit the map code to change things like NPCs (such as any of the pre-Daila stuff or the Lunpa thieves) and such. There's also a fairly big list of game locations that is mostly independent from the world map stuff, meaning that you can move most places on the map to other areas (there are some hard warps, like a hidden Dekhan one, that are not in this table). Want Mars Lighthouse to be just south of Taopo Swamp, for example? Not hard to do at all, though you'll still need to edit the exit/entrance data to make it so leaving the place doesn't drop you off in the arctic.

The world map itself is a tad different though; I haven't done much with it, so I'll leave it to Fox or someone else to answer that part.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Luna_blade

Well I asked it before and the anwser is about the same as 'The easy answer is no.  If you're willing to do a lot of hacking, it may be possible, though'.
Quote from: Luna_blade on 19, October, 2013, 01:47:21 PM
Is it possible to edit the overworld?
Quote from: Fox on 19, October, 2013, 03:37:16 PM
Yes and no. There's currently no way to edit using any of the avialable tools/editors as far as I know. And I believe it is compressed, so using a hex editor by itself isn't recommended either. (Unless you decompress/compress the data.)
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"