Golden Sun Hacking Community
February 21, 2019, 06:16:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hack Competition (discussion on themes, guidelines, etc.)  (Read 4565 times)
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 0

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 02:31:37 AM »

who cares about space if ROMs can be expanded at will?
Only up to 32 MB for GBA ROMs... In that case, it'd be better if I did what I did with the Icon Compressor... (Notepad text to Compressed data... then easy manual insertion into ROM.)

---
Singular letters? Like if a string only included one letter... with the ones that regenerate char tables... that should definitely work. - The #1 thing to note is that how Atrius's editor works... since it doesn't regenerae the char tables, only char combos that were used in the original text would work. ALL those not used would not work.
The very first char in any text string is listed under the table for char 0x00.... Under that character, has every letter that can appear at the start of the line. - At the end of a sentence, the last character should also have 0x00 as a char.
Basically what I'm saying is that in the worst case scenario... With regenerated char tables, you can compress/decompress and still have what you had... but w/o regenerated char tables (Like Atrius's Editor), you'll be unable to compress.

I am 99.99% sure Camelot generated the char tables automatically and not manually... because they are ordered by frequency. (Node frequency first.) If you look up huffman, it is the same thing... (Except each letter having a table.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 04:49:07 AM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

May the force be with you!
Shoo! Why does it smell in here?
Maybe that's the wrong kind of force. *smirk*
View Profile
leaf
Potions class is starting
Venus Clan

Death Eater+Grass Snake = Snake Eater? SNAAAAAAAKE

Veteran Member

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2016, 05:40:03 AM »

Man, this idea came two years too late for me... This would've been a great motivator to work on GS hacks a few years ago, but at this point, I don't really have the time to work on one, and even if I did, that time would be better spent developing games from scratch.

Good luck to anyone that decides to participate.

Spoiler for quotes:
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O
View Profile
zman9000
Golden sun fan/Map Builder
Luna Clan

Lord Zed

Excellent Member

I am: A guy who just really likes golden sun

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2016, 08:55:42 AM »

look if you want more people to get into working with the code. i feel like people need to see what can be done with what has been found so far. i don't mean an explanation, i mean a video or pictures of changed game play.

I my self am not interested in the coding at all... i mean i dropped out of college for programming because i learned that i hated programming... which really i should have figured out sooner but... that's not important right now.

right now we have "hey we are working with the code so we can do more then the editor ever could" but most people won't join into that until they see something that inspires them to actually try their hand at it.
I may have totally missed it but i'm not sure i have seen anything like that yet (on this site)...

This is just my thoughts on this. thoughts of a person who really isn't helping, and doesn't plan to start coding again. just from the outside looking in, the stuff on the site just looks like theory's about the code, with nothing else to it.

Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.
Emblems: Have a nice day.

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 04:04:46 PM »

Fox: Chances are, or else I imagine there would be some more sensible ones.

leaf: That's a shame, but totally understandable. In all honesty, I am starting to have similar thoughts and would likely have started making a game from scratch by now if I knew a good language for it and/or had enough free time to learn. Assembly hacking is certainly helping me a bit though.

Zed: That's the plan for more complicated stuff, but the complicated stuff is also optional for this thing. I want to document more of this battle animation stuff before I make a post for it though. That way I can upload what I have documented and update every once in a blue moon. The issue with doing that now is I only have a handful of animations.

Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
leaf
Potions class is starting
Venus Clan

Death Eater+Grass Snake = Snake Eater? SNAAAAAAAKE

Veteran Member

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 05:25:16 PM »

Honestly, if you wanna get into game dev, download either unity or unreal and just get started. Unity has support for both c# and javascript. Unreal has support for blueprints (visual scripting) and c++. If you understand code but don't formally know any language, blueprints should be fairly easy to get into. If you already know one of the languages listed, you'd prob be better off just coding in that.

Spoiler for quotes:
[9:00:50 PM] Randel Peltier: Ok...what did I do last night?
[9:01:19 PM] Kain: Something boring, repetitive, and lasted for about sixty seconds.
---
[10:45:08 AM] Salanewt: But yeah, the elemental phalluses are being... Stroked up by Saturos and co., and the energy will go towards... Mt. Muffin, where the Golden Climax will arise.
[7:28:42 PM] Salanewt: An added bonus is that Isaac and co. were trying to stop Saturos and co. because their beliefs state that Mt. Muffin should remain a virgin.
---
[9:54:21 PM] Randel Peltier: Guess the number in my head an you get to pick what I say. Number between 1-10
[9:54:28 PM] leaf: 11
[9:54:36 PM] Randel Peltier: @#$%!
---
[8:38:13 PM] Randel Peltier: Shes like this queen up on a pedastal that I have yet to court.
[8:38:29 PM] Kain: You've tried courting her.
[8:38:43 PM] leaf: and failed spectacularly
[8:38:44 PM] Randel Peltier: Ive tried...shes the best dating game ever.
---
[12:24:35 AM] Salanewt: I need to find a picture of a naked person to put on the Christmas tree next year.
---
[2:19:06 PM] Zeadra: wait... Rief's a guy???
---
[1:09:57 PM] Zeadra: well if you want to know if its a new effect or something weird, just check GS1, if side step is there maby it is the nimble dodge thing
[1:10:35 PM] Kioll: For once, you've contributed something useful.  o.O
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

I am: A part of the organization of Cool Cats, but more of a dog person in reality.

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2016, 05:36:48 PM »

Thanks for the pointer! I may just check those out later, although I have to admit I have a different sort of game in mind in terms of starting from scratch; I imagine those would only help for getting a handle on a language. I may mention a couple points on Skype later, but I'm still working out a battle system in my head...

Competition: Giving it some thought, it may not be a good idea to stick with a theme for the first one. It may be a good idea to have it be a sort of free-for-all where you can do whatever you want with it, and then guidelines can bet set up if there are more of these in the future.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?
View Profile WWW
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2016, 06:41:17 PM »

@Zed/videos and stuff: That's like what I did with Superstar Saga back in the day... I don't do it much now, though... And I rarely ever did it for Golden Sun. (But there were one or two videos or so... Remember The Jump Patch?) Although I'd say that Atrius's two video (On Link and the custom map) were more of interest. - Perhaps I should make more videos at some time... but dunno. (I do want to at some point, at least... but the question is will I ever get to it. / Be a high enough priority to get to it. Etc.)

@Game from scratch: Sounds good... We can always practice with getting a few projects up in general... even if not directly about Golden Sun... But then... Do you also remember the Djinni Battle RPG topic? And the RPG things we did at Yoshi' Lighthouse near the start?

free-for-all is good... But then we also need to know what everyone generally wants to do... just in case. (At least I think, anyway.) - Like should it even have hacking at all... and by what limits... or maybe it can even be not restricted to editing the GS game(s) and include other things.  Etc. Pretty much would mean that we should move this topic to another forum, in that case. Creative Works competition?
And with the idea on not being restricted to Golden Sun... Maybe we could be further ahead by starting the competition off-site (or look for one someone else already started) and then bring it here at some point?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:00:49 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Remember kids! Before you go on that interview, remember to wash your hands in teawater! *Coughs on hand* (Excuse me, I just coughed up a little teawater, so they're still clean!) You wouldn't want that hiring manager to be unimpressed.

View Profile
zman9000
Golden sun fan/Map Builder
Luna Clan

Lord Zed

Excellent Member

I am: A guy who just really likes golden sun

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »

Unity has support for both c# and javascript. Unreal has support for blueprints (visual scripting) and c++.

if you want to get into programming, i do agree that you should start with those. they are super easy to learn and easy enough to understand at a glance. javascript its self is easy enough to learn that even if you are only mildly interested in the subject, that's the one you might want to check out.

When i was learning programming in high school, javascript is the one i did the best with, c++ was up there but javascript was the one that was easiest to learn.

Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx
View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »

Competition: Exclusively hacking, since doing it that way at least makes it so everyone who participates can be on level playing ground before additional knowledge is factored in. It's a matter of accessibility vs. knowing how to actually code or remembering a language, while at the same time keeping people locked within the limitations of the original game(s).

Everything else: That's cool. Thinking of trying C++ at some point myself.

Scratch/remember older RPGs: Sort of? Not sure.

View Profile WWW
Luna_blade
The last member of the Luna clan
Luna Clan

Great Member

I am: Timeless. As in, i don't have much free time.

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 07:30:37 AM »

Great idea. A real activity booster.

I would participate with the 5 teams idea.

The only thing I'd like to see before it starts is a full map modding tutorial.

About the size: I think it shouldn't be big hacks. Big hacks should have at least a year, or a huge team.

"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"
View Profile
Fox
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2016, 06:33:46 PM »

The only thing I'd like to see before it starts is a full map modding tutorial.
Exactly that! To me... If we stick to the hacking business with Golden Sun... then we're quite likely to need tutorials... (Should add to the motivation, at least.)  But that's just my take.

So I guess we have it.
-Vids/images to encourage motivation (~zman)
-Map tutorials (~luna_blade)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 06:35:20 PM by Fox » Logged

View Profile
Salanewt
His Sexiness
Mercury Clan

Oh yeah, baby!

Prodigy

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2016, 07:45:25 PM »

Hm, makes sense. I guess we could put this off for a few months. Should be able to finish my guide once the workload dies down a bit too.

View Profile WWW
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
Today at 01:45:42 AM
Fox: (If not counting (elementary) school stuff at the time?)
Today at 01:44:33 AM
Fox: (I was CharleysMrPibb in 2003 (on AOL), and that's the earlier I can remember... I think that might be when I started using internet.)
Today at 01:42:01 AM
Fox: I have used charleysdrpepper since 2004 (most used username).... So yeah, you and me both. (15 years) Teawater, since 2011 (used in fewer places).... and Fox since 2014 (but only here)
Yesterday at 01:40:05 AM
Maxipotter: I have no idea who MaxiPower is I have used this user name everywhere for at least 15 years O.o   I should really get a more serious one but meh.
February 19, 2019, 11:24:11 PM
Fox: I wonder who Maxipotter is? Why does the name sound too similar to MaxiPower?
January 20, 2019, 06:29:27 PM
Fox: That would be cool to have, yes. Where the text in the ROM is uncompressed. - The huffman compression used in the gba games is not used in the nds game, so perhaps that may be one reason it wasn't done. I think it is some generic compression thingy. If someone did do it (and make the entire ROM uncompressed), perhaps I would be more inclined to work on my dark dawn editor. Hm?
January 15, 2019, 05:38:01 PM
KyleRunner: Could someone please create a GSTOOLKIT compatible with Dark Dawn? I'll try to translate that one to my language as well (as I did with the first two games).
January 09, 2019, 02:39:00 PM
Luna_blade: I wonder when true death will strike
January 08, 2019, 03:00:02 PM
Misery: That is true
January 07, 2019, 06:08:38 PM
JamietheFlameUser: so this place is pretty inactive
December 17, 2018, 06:43:36 AM
Salanewt: Okay, minor announcement I guess. We just looked over some pre-release footage of GS1, and noticed that one of the unused and unlisted animations we discovered in GS2 (and GS1) plays in that footage. "Brine" is actually an early Fizz.
December 15, 2018, 01:06:23 AM
Fox: :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFmr_TZLpS0
December 15, 2018, 12:58:01 AM
Fox: A banana for you, a banana for me, a banana to your face. Your face is mine! A face for you, a face for me. A face for the banana too. Who wants to feed the banana?
December 09, 2018, 07:43:31 PM
Fox: A banana for you, a banana for me, let's all open a banana and enjoy!
December 08, 2018, 09:48:52 PM
Drake baku: ba... ba.... bana.... bana.... banana.... nanananananananana..... and now back to doing normal, kinda
December 07, 2018, 05:43:02 PM
Luna_blade: Hey I forgot the christmas theme
November 29, 2018, 09:01:09 AM
zman9000: ded
November 19, 2018, 11:05:28 AM
Drake baku: Good day to ya all
October 30, 2018, 09:45:58 PM
Atrius: There used to be where I got the battle sprites for Kraden, but that site doesn't exist any more.
October 26, 2018, 01:31:40 PM
Infitek: Do you know if there any custom Alex battle sprites available on the internet ?

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise