Golden Sun Hacking Community
August 22, 2017, 02:51:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Forum   DC Wiki Help Search Calendar Downloads Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Compression Formats  (Read 4026 times)
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 02:49:45 AM »

Well, it didn't fully support Text Compression, as Atrius's editor never rewrote the Char tables... It also didn't decompress battle backgrounds... etc. But the point was that it did support decompressoin/compression for some things...

I think most images are in three/four sections.
1.) The sprites tble: (0x08300000 in GS2)
2.) The Master File Table.. (0x08320000 in GS1, 0x08680000 in GS2; Yep, I have both of them memorized.)
3.) One of the code files has compressed icons.
4.) Oh, and there might be some things compressed in another code file files. (Like the palette menu graphics, I think..) but other than that, I think most graphics in those files are uncompressed(?) - Not many uncompressed images, though... but the red crystal grpahic (for convos), and that pink/purple conical selection thing used to select an enemy maybe.. some |> arrows used in debug menus....  etc. That kind of thing.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 03:01:22 AM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
*Cross my fingers and hope we have Big Brother All-Stars next year... with Paulie & Cody Califorie(sp?)... and Vanessa & Tiffany Rousso.... Would be fun? :P Especially if one of the boys got evicted early since there's usually some all-guy alliance in there, right?
View Profile

Novice Member

Coins: 0

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 06:39:09 PM »

OK, thanks for getting me inputs, I will investigate further. I guess, pointer for the chunk of graphics, I'm going to translate (GO and 1st match glyphs in arena) is hardcoded.
View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 05:06:33 PM »

An update for my set of compression tools of Golden Sun.
Now it supports decoding/encoding for text, and two LZSS schemes for graphics, described in OP post.
View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2016, 12:51:56 PM »

Hi approxies, Fox and Lord Squirtle, I am currently looking for a way to encode my Polish translation of The Lost Age in a different way than using Atrius' Editor, as it makes the output file much bigger and is now incompatible with The Balance Age  Sweat Drop
Needles to say that this thread caught my interest. Approxies, would you mind making a little tutorial to your compression tools for a non-programmer? I've played around with the tools a little bit, but can't really get them to work.
The haskell one returns "Could not find module 'Data.Bitstream.Lazy' (I just installed the GHC compiler).
Recommended translation scheme from the earlier version with .bat files works fine until the encoding (-e) part, where it shows "trees: Patch size is larger than specified. Aborted." I guess it is because my translation is larger than the original file (duh), so do I need to specify a new treeSize, Offset? How do I calculate this? :)
Here is the script, if you want to take a look.
View Profile

I need saves to test encounters in GS Reloaded!

Great Member

Coins: 13

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 01:16:28 PM »

I'm not sure about it, but i think you can tweak gstlatoolkit itself and make it store the script later into the rom . that way you'd also gain back the compatibility with my patch.
View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 04:42:51 PM »

I don't really know how to do that. I mean, I know where to look, but I don't know the right values to use. The patching file in gstlatoolkit looks like this:

Spoiler for Hiden:
echo Expanding ROM
patch x tla_patched.gba $01800000

echo Assembling decompress.asm
goldroad asm\decompress.asm

echo Assembling setArgumentsTLA.asm
goldroad asm\setArgumentsTLA.asm

echo Inserting decompress.asm
patch i tla_patched.gba asm\decompress.gba $0003843C

echo Inserting setArgumentsTLA.asm
patch i tla_patched.gba asm\setArgumentsTLA.gba $00038580

echo Inserting string offset table
patch i tla_patched.gba bin\offsets.bin $00FA0000

echo Inserting strings
patch i tla_patched.gba bin\strings.bin $00FAC300
View Profile
Fox
Fox McCloud, the Hacking Doctor
Mercury Clan

Prodigy

Coins: 28

I am: certainly not a Gallant!
Clan Position: Head Gallant

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2016, 06:00:56 PM »

Whether you choose to compress or not is up to you... Frankly, I don't think it matters unless you need the space. (Probably don't.)

I did not look at how Approxies puts the data back into the ROM... But my compressor compresses it to 0x00FA0000.... and it looks the addresses in your spoiler (gstlatoolkit) places it there too... Soo...

echo Inserting string offset table
patch i tla_patched.gba bin\offsets.bin $00FA0000

echo Inserting strings
patch i tla_patched.gba bin\strings.bin $00FAC300

With the game open in VisualBoyAdvance, you can go to Tools>Memory Viewer... in the address field... The Rom section goes from 0x08000000-0x09FFFFFF, it should match what you see when you open the file in a hex editor. So you just put 0x08FA0000 in the address field, press Go... scroll down until you find what looks like 00 data... That is unused/free data... and is the address you want to put in. (And +0xC300 for the next address.) (Assuming you're editing a hack, I recommend overwriting the text data that has already been pointed in the area if it is there. It should be easy to notice in The Balance Age since the text should be uncompressed, but I didn't check that for myself, if anything unlikely should go wrong.)

You might need to edit the same addresses in the asm files as well. (So that the game knows that the data moved.)

^^ Wrote this without checking.... but I did look into gstoolkit a long time ago, so....
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 06:17:31 PM by Fox » Logged

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...
*Cross my fingers and hope we have Big Brother All-Stars next year... with Paulie & Cody Califorie(sp?)... and Vanessa & Tiffany Rousso.... Would be fun? :P Especially if one of the boys got evicted early since there's usually some all-guy alliance in there, right?
View Profile

I need saves to test encounters in GS Reloaded!

Great Member

Coins: 13

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2016, 06:24:58 PM »

Try this: open go_TLA.bat with a txt editor and change "$00FA0000" to "$01000000" and "$00FAC300" to "$0100C300" then go into the asm folder, open setArgumentsTLA.asm in the same txt editor, and change at lines 57 and 58:
"r2,=0x08FA0000" to "r2,=0x09000000" and
"r3,=0x08FAC300" to "r3,=0x0900C300"

Save both edited files and paste your translation on a clean ROM (clean as in "not already patched with gstlatoolkit).

This way you save the uncompressed text at 01000000, which is where the original ROM ends. Basically, this way the toolkit can't overlap with anything and it'd be compatible with literally every patch you can find on this forum.

EDIT: @Fox actually in my patches the text is still compressed, I made all the changes with the editor.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 07:03:53 PM by Caledor » Logged
View Profile

Novice Member

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 09:01:16 PM »

Thanks guys, looks like saving the text at 01000000 gets rid of all compatibility problems  Happy
View Profile
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cbox
August 20, 2017, 08:59:37 PM
Fox: Same... depending on whether they've used tricks instead or not.
August 20, 2017, 08:02:49 PM
Salanewt: I could see it counting.
August 20, 2017, 11:24:44 AM
Fox: Not sure if Zelda (LttP/Minish Cap) count or not...
August 20, 2017, 11:23:00 AM
Fox: Appararently, I can't think of many GBA games that do the psuedo-3D thing. (That being 2D maps with 3D-like collision...) Golden Sun and Superstar Saga come to mind, though... but I'll need to think about others, since it is quite possible i've simply forgotten....
August 19, 2017, 03:45:19 PM
Fox: Hmm... Thought: What if Isaac and co. weren't on Jupiter Lighthouse when Felix and co. were... I wonder if the story could have had a huge expansion, in this case.
August 18, 2017, 12:18:56 PM
Fox: Welcome back!
August 18, 2017, 09:12:43 AM
Luna_blade: back from vacation
August 17, 2017, 02:29:26 AM
Fox: That moment when you realize that there is a lot of chatting going on on Discord, that there is no point in trying to keep up. :P  Hm....
August 16, 2017, 04:50:22 AM
Fox: (Then again, just because posting is disabled, doesn't necessarily mean the buttons would be removed as well.)
August 16, 2017, 04:48:55 AM
Fox: (I mean, buttons I would expect to be similar to that.... rather than those specifically since I recall posting there to be disabled.)
August 16, 2017, 04:33:02 AM
Fox: Yeah... I like to think of it as a page loaded with ads. And it's not just the forum home page either... check the sub-forums/topics themselves. == New Topic/Reply/etc. buttons were affected.
August 15, 2017, 07:04:30 PM
Salanewt: Lol, nice. :P
August 15, 2017, 06:33:02 PM
Foxhttp://z9.invisionfree.com/Golden_Sun_Hacking/index.php? == Hahaha! GSHC Classic looks funny now that Photobucket killed the images. :P Anyway, how is everyone doing today?
August 14, 2017, 07:12:02 PM
Salanewt: So yeah, I'm typing up a non-academic essay on why GS2 was rushed; expect that sometime soon!
August 07, 2017, 05:53:11 AM
Fox: But anyway, such a hack mod is simply an idea, and I do not have any current plans to work on it at this time, so.....
August 07, 2017, 05:51:46 AM
Fox: Okay, cool. I think my idea works best without an ability to swap PCs (OR to just simply make that use it the PC's turn.) Hmmm... And with that, I question if a turn list is even needed with my approach. (Outside of maybe 1 entry, if that shortens the modifications.)
August 07, 2017, 05:13:26 AM
Salanewt: To be honest I've been thinking of expanding the battle turn section and also adding code for PCs to have more than two turns in the AI overhaul, but I probably won't allow anyone to have more than four.
August 06, 2017, 12:22:17 AM
Fox: Oh, and if that approach was taken = Would like to also have it so you select the spell to use when it is actually your turn rather than at round start.
August 06, 2017, 12:12:37 AM
Fox: Would take a lot of balancing, but I can see an adept being very slow, and yet very powerful.
August 06, 2017, 12:06:11 AM
Fox: And bosses can have an Agility that is above half of the maximum possible Agility. Mwahaha.

Affiliates
Temple of Kraden Golden Sunrise