News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Heylo!

Started by Crichton, 05, April, 2015, 04:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crichton

Heyo everyone! As you can probably tell from the frame on the left, I am Crichton.

I have played GS since it came out ages ago and still haven't had my love for it diminished...despite that one time I saved on the Aerie before that fight and was underleveled.

I'm an inconsistent lurker of the internet and I travel through wormholes. General hobbies include but not limited to, Server administration I help host web and game servers and a chat (IRC) server for the fun of it, game file extraction (usually sounds and music), keeping every single file I ever download forever, making fractal art, roleplaying (tabletop, forum, mmo etc etc), and remembering dates I don't expect myself to.

As for Golden Sun related hacking, I'd like to get more familiar with it and maybe see what I can do. I've done simple stuff like map event editing and NPC name editing(Basically just changing text.)

I did see that OpenGS project which looks pretty spiffy as well and I am closely watching it.

If you have any questions, ask away.

Salanewt

Hey there, and welcome! Have to say, your "Test2" fractal reminds me of some kind of hive and is pretty interesting.

QuoteIf you have any questions, ask away.

I don't think I have any right now, but you can always ask us if you need any help as well. Especially with hacking; you've come at a pretty good time too, what with the recent [temporarily stalled] scripting guide, Caledor's balance hack, and battle animation research.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Rolina

...Your first name wouldn't happen to be Michael, would it?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quotedespite that one time I saved on the Aerie before that fight and was underleveled.
I take it you didn't know about Sanctum Warping?

Quotekeeping every single file I ever download forever
I feel like that sounds a little bit like me, except, I'm sure there are times when I might delete things.
Anyway, I don't recall deleting any emails, I usually just let it pile up. Besides, I could argue that emails don't really have much purpose besides registering/activating accounts at sites.

QuoteAs for Golden Sun related hacking, I'd like to get more familiar with it and maybe see what I can do. I've done simple stuff like map event editing and NPC name editing(Basically just changing text.)
Yay! Planning on learning GBA's assembly languages as well? (Thumb/Arm, but mainly Thumb.)

IFyou haven't known yet, me and Squirt are documenting everything on GS2. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nsDI-Bx6p65X25CPGdJOk8K-WVsYjYTBEN-i_bR8bdk/edit = Should be editable by everyone, so you are welcome to add stuff if you find anything not there. - I recommend the Doc over my GS Data wikia right now, since I pretty much moved the majority of stuff I was adding there back to the Doc. (But not everything, since I might need to skim the RAM Map/etc. page(s) later to see if I missed anything / Me being a little lazy on that at the moment. :p)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Crichton

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 05, April, 2015, 08:59:02 AM
Hey there, and welcome! Have to say, your "Test2" fractal reminds me of some kind of hive and is pretty interesting.
It was my first attempt at doing 3D fractals

Quote from: Rolina on 05, April, 2015, 11:37:54 AM
It's John

Quote from: Fox on 05, April, 2015, 12:52:25 PM
I take it you didn't know about Sanctum Warping?
Not at the time, no

Quote from: Fox on 05, April, 2015, 12:52:25 PM
Anyway, I don't recall deleting any emails, I usually just let it pile up. Besides, I could argue that emails don't really have much purpose besides registering/activating accounts at sites.
I have over 60,000 emails right now due to not deleting them

Quote from: Fox on 05, April, 2015, 12:52:25 PMYay! Planning on learning GBA's assembly languages as well? (Thumb/Arm, but mainly Thumb.)
If I can sit myself down long enough to do it, I'd like to.

Quote from: Fox on 05, April, 2015, 12:52:25 PMIFyou haven't known yet, me and Squirt are documenting everything on GS2. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nsDI-Bx6p65X25CPGdJOk8K-WVsYjYTBEN-i_bR8bdk/edit = Should be editable by everyone, so you are welcome to add stuff if you find anything not there. - I recommend the Doc over my GS Data wikia right now, since I pretty much moved the majority of stuff I was adding there back to the Doc. (But not everything, since I might need to skim the RAM Map/etc. page(s) later to see if I missed anything / Me being a little lazy on that at the moment. :p)

Seems cool, I'll go over it sometime today possibly.

Luna_blade

Hello there! Welcome to the forums :!:

I really like your art. How do you make these 'fractals'?
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Crichton

Normally I use the software called Apophysis to create them. Then I just mess around with it till I find something I like.

QuoteI have over 60,000 emails right now due to not deleting them
Sounds cool. I have less. Or well, actually, I really don't know because I have had several emails...
I believe I started with AOL, back when we had dial-up starting around ~2003. I had several accounts. I believe I started with CharleysMrPibb, and sometime in 2004, I was using CharleysDrPepper the most... or something like that. - The bad part is, even though I used to could log in, the last time I tried (And with the correct password), it wanted to verify through phone... and um, that won't work for me.
Ofcourse, Yahoo is the one I use most (And been using long before I lost access to an AOL account), even though I like Gmail best. I also have accounts for Gmail and Hotmail/etc. as well... and yes, I do use email forwarding for some of them... lots of dup mail, I guess... ; My Yahoo account has over 6k mail, but I can't help but wonder if any were deleted 2007 and before? (Don't even know when I created the account?)

QuoteIf I can sit myself down long enough to do it, I'd like to.

Seems cool, I'll go over it sometime today possibly.
For the majority of it, it is expected that you know assembly, so I can probably link you to several things we use.
GBATEK Thumb stuff = http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#thumbinstructionset
Thumb Guide from Salanewt & I = http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?topic=1317.0
VBA-SDL-H = Debugger
VisualBoyAdvance = Tools > Disassembler & Memory viewer

--
Basically, the registers r0 to r15 should be thought like variables. r0-r12 are general purpose ;  r13=sp (stack pointer, which is where excess temp variables go/Each function allocates space here if needed.), r14=lr (Link Register, basically the return address for when a function ends, r15=pc (Program Counter, the location you are currently at in code.)

mov r0, 0x9 ; Would be the same as r0 = 0x9.
ldr r3, [r2, 0x4] ; Would be the same as loading a 32-bit at the address of (r2 + 4) into r3.

Usually brackets [ ] are used when we're talking about the value at an address, and not the address itself.

Just some quick examples to get you started. - But can't really know exactly what place you are at, so...
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Crichton

I'm at around level 0 for assembly coding.  :Sweat:

Okay then. Goody.

What level are you at with using a hex editor, then?
-Do you know byte (8-bit), short/halfword (16-bit), integer/word (32-bit), etc?)
-And do you know what big/little endian are? (When 16+ - bit are formatted in reverse byte. Which is the case with GBA/DS/Windows PC)
-Are you comfortable with editing tables, even if they include variable bits (1-bit values in a byte have bit masks of 0x01, 0x02, 0x04, 0x08, 0x10, 0x20, 0x40, 0x80, for example... 8-bits there.)
^One good example of what I mean is if you are editing palettes, since the three color filters (red, green, blue) are all 5-bits in the GBA. So putting the 3 together (5*3=15) means that one RGB color can fit in a 16-bit, with the most significant bit unused.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Crichton on 05, April, 2015, 02:11:06 PM
It's John

I liked Farscape better than Jurrassic Park anyway.

Welcome to the forums, Crichton, I hope you enjoy your time here.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

Crichton

Quote from: Atrius on 05, April, 2015, 10:38:55 PM
Quote from: Crichton on 05, April, 2015, 02:11:06 PM
It's John

I liked Farscape better than Jurrassic Park anyway.

Welcome to the forums, Crichton, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Good, as that's where my name originates (also my RL name is John as well so there's that.) and thanks!

As for my knowledge of hex editing, I'm at least more knowledgeable of that.