News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

What music do you listen to?

Started by charon the ferryman, 27, April, 2015, 03:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charon the ferryman

I need bands, guys. I've been listening to Supertramp for like a month now. They're good and they really do never get old, but the problem is, that if I cross the event horizon into fan-faggotry, I will never be able to return. I've already made crossovers, I've made TF2 mods, that's how desperate my condition is. So I need balance, I need some new music, to mix up @#$%.

List some bands. BTW.

Genres I like:
-Classic/Progressive Rock
-SUPER @#$%&*! CHEESY 80s ROCK/POP
-Electronic (I can't pin down more than that, so just throw what you like)
-GOOD folk rock (not the fake hipster @#$%)
-HILARIOUSLY AWESOME ROCK BALLADS (think Styx)
-DIIIISCO
-OLD SCHOOL 90'S RAP @#$% YES
-Vidya Game OSTs

Also, do not ask me to listen to Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, Prince, or AC/DC. I will respond by mocking you furiously. Only plebs listen to that @#$%. If you tell me to listen to The Wall I will personally force you to listen to Crime of the Century, you pretentious uncultured swine.

just kidding but they're quite overrated and most of their music has never appealed to me

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Um... I have no idea what to say....

But reading the title... makes me want to talk about The Voice for some reason-ish....

*Picks a random, but not-so-random folk song... * (Wikipedia calls the song a traditional American folk song, but nothing about it being folk rock...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFH9LQLGNbk
Since it was sang in 2015/this season of the show (there's two seasons per year, it seems?), and the guy is in the top 8 currently (And he is the youngest of them), might as well just post it... Would you turn your chair as well? :p Or call him a fake hipster? -- I've no idea what you think of music competition shows, though.

Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

All I feel like adding right now is that Rumours is a terrific album. It's the first result on Google for me, so I won't bother naming the band even though I would make it part of the global education curriculum if I were ever Dear Supreme Leader of the World (DSLotW). I'll let whoever is interested in this topic "discover" it on their own with my *wink winking* and *nudge nudging* of sorts!

Actually, this too. Great late night song if you know what I mean.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

charon the ferryman

Quote from: Fox on 27, April, 2015, 04:55:50 PMWould you turn your chair as well? :p Or call him a fake hipster? -- I've no idea what you think of music competition shows, though.
Don't worry, I just mean that stupid @#$% they play on the radio, where the guitar student realized he can play three chords, sing about his girlfriend and occasionally slam his acoustic guitar and call it "beautiful music".

Rolina

I prefer game soundtracks.  Typically ones where the soundtrack is a notable part of the game, so atmospheric ones like Infamous I usually pass on. 

charon the ferryman

Ooooh, video game OSTs, forgot about that one. I prefer ones that are orchestrated with rock elements (see a trend, here?), any great examples?

Rolina

Bayonetta's OSTs are amazing.  Give them a try.

Salanewt

Just thought of a band that you might like; Blue Oyster Cult. Pretty groovy music.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Menaus

"You state that I have misinterpreted my results, and it looks as though you believe my views to be unsound. Your arguments are those of an eminent scholar. I was myself a fair scholar. For years I pondered, so to speak, day and night over books, and filled my head with sound views–very sound ones, indeed—those of others. But I could no[t] get to practical results. I then began to work and think independently. Gradually my views became unsound, but they conducted me to some sound results." - Nikola Tesla

Luna_blade

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 27, April, 2015, 05:13:23 PM
Actually, this too. Great late night song if you know what I mean.
Since this thread is suddenly getting an activity boost, I can't do anything except for posting here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4JKJ5pl9cs
(in reply on the super market music thing)

(I will finish this post later)
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

MaxiPower

I like lots of genres, but I literally listen to no music. I listen to loads of podcasts tho.

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quote-SUPER @#$%&*! CHEESY 80s ROCK/POP
Censored MARKET? :P

Giving love to the shopping themes. :) Here's one with lyrics.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

MaxiPower

Luna_blade

Quote from: Seto Kaiba on 27, April, 2015, 03:55:43 PM
    I need bands, guys. I've been listening to Supertramp for like a month now.
    I could use new bands as well. I'll try and help you out with what I got.
    Mayor question: do you like jazz? Or even one kind of it?
    Quote from: Seto Kaiba
    -Classic/Progressive Rock
    I got Neo-Classic right here:
    https://ratboygenius.bandcamp.com/ (just listen Art of Triad)
    Also, the music from Big Buck Bunny is classic-ish.
    Progressive rock:

• Beardfish (Swedish, but sung in English)
    • GungFly(Swedish, but sung in English)
    • The Tangent
    • Focus(also a bit classic)
    • Jethro Tull (I like some albums, but I overall think it ain't that good (besides, also got classic stuff)
    • Flea (unknown Italian band)
    • Camel (hippie stuff, looks like Focus)
    • Tinyfish
    Stuff I know, but haven't given a listen:

• Omar Rodriguez Lopez
    • Transatlantic (more like opera metal I suppose)
    -SUPER @#$%&*! CHEESY 80s ROCK/POP
    Yeah, I don't have anything that could be labeled as 'cheesy'.
    I do have some Dutch 80s rock/pop, like Focus.
    -Electronic (I can't pin down more than that, so just throw what you like)
    No, you can't quite narrow it down more than that I suppose.
    JMJ, Jean Michel Jarre. One of the first electronic music artists. Amazing.
    Also, I heard about Tangerine Dream being amazing as well.
    Ever heard of Mike Oldfield? Isn't exactly electronic, but does concept albums like JMJ.
    -GOOD folk rock (not the fake hipster @#$%)
    Sinkadus (swedish progressive folk rock, almost opera)
    Check out Shadowfax as well. They do... yeah, just give it a listen. (watch out for the first album, cause that ain't folk, but more a progressive rock thing)
    Tinariwen Tassili. Not even sure where these musicians come from. They do middle-east themed songs and throw a bit of rock in sometimes.
    -HILARIOUSLY AWESOME ROCK BALLADS (think Styx)
    ?
    -DIIIISCO
    Earth and Fire. They started making bloody disco after the third album. :happy:
    -OLD SCHOOL 90'S RAP @#$% YES
    DK rap?
    -Vidya Game OSTs
    I never listen game music.
    Except when gaming.
    Quote from: Seto Kaibayou pretentious uncultured swine.
    I've heard that before. Somewhere.
    Quote from: Luna_blade on 29, April, 2015, 04:40:10 PM
    Since this thread is suddenly getting an activity boost, I can't do anything except for posting here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4JKJ5pl9cs
    (in reply on the super market music thing)
    (I will finish this post later)
    Nah, I'll just make a new post.[/list]
    "Hear the sounds and melodies
    Of rilets flowing down
    They're the verlasting songs
    Whispering all the time
    As a warning that behind some rocks
    There's a rigid grap even
    Oreads fear the tread"

charon the ferryman

Salanewt

Oh wow, that is hilariously epic. And that isn't a term I use lightly either.

I guess I can name the three tunes I have set as morning alarms, though they probably don't quite fit what you are looking for;

- Snowbird (Anne Murray)
    - Son of a Preacher Man (Dusty Springfield)
    - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep (Middle of the Road)

Oh, and I used to have Sado Maso Disco (Must) as my 6-6:30 AM alarm, but I felt like I needed a change of tune for my mornings. Have also considered a certain Durwood @#$%&*/Dick Shreve song; it's pretty calm, groovy, AND fun. You'll likely find it the minute you look it up, so I won't link it here.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________And also Denise Lasalle!

I may just Skype over the full playlist I have on my phone (or even laptop), but I have a feeling that would take forever... and may have one too many novelty songs.

Salanewt

Help, I have a playlist of only 462 songs on my phone. Granted, some of those are novelty songs, but still.

I need more 70s and 60s tunes to remedy this issue! Please, I'm begging you all!

Salanewt

I found this really rad song.

Although I normally listen to other stuff, lol. Just finished downloading a bunch of random disco and other songs to add to my playlist. I totally forgot that I was missing "Shake Your Groove Thing" and some Hall & Oates songs from my playlist, not to mention a bunch of others.

Edit: And for you Trekkies out there...

charon the ferryman

Through the Drive soundtrack I've been introduced to Kavinsky.

the one most people are introduced to, but here's my fave:

Jimmy Mullen

Drive is a superb movie! I also like A Real Hero by College & Electric Youth.

I'm honest and I believe in this site. I consider it a very balanced and fair approach. I believe that https://vogueplay.com/uk has a real potential to break me free. I mean this!