News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Golden Sun Djinn (Minecraft 1.7 Mod)

Started by Majora, 24, May, 2015, 01:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Majora

The Golden Sun Djinn Mod
(Minecraft Mod, 1.7)

This is a Minecraft 1.7-compatible mod. It (should) work in all versions of Minecraft 1.7, including 1.7.2 and 1.7.10.

DOWNLOAD
(by clicking this link, you promise you'll make a backup of your world before loading up the mod)
[spoiler]Version 1.0.0: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6RDTwb4OndTTE1BS2JSOUFhTE0/view?usp=sharing[/spoiler]

To install, simply download the mod from the link above and place the resulting .RAR file in your Minecraft mods folder. No need to extract, either, it's plug and play.
Forge is required to run this mod.

Creator's comments...
Version 1.0.0: "Here it is, the long-awaited Djinn mod. I finally found the long-lost resources from the Golden Sun Decor Mod 1.7.2 (which I recently discovered is also compatible with Minecraft 1.7.10, which is good to know considering how unstable 1.7.2 can be). I decided to release them separately from GSDM-1.7.2, because making that mod on its own was difficult enough, and I don't currently have the required amount of ibuprofen to modify an existing mod; that, and it's just cleaner as a separate modification, it simplifies problem-solving. Nothing terribly groundbreaking goes down in this mod, it simply introduces the Djinn as NPCs into the game. Flint spawns in Plain biomes, Fever spawns in DesertHills biomes, Gust spawns in ExtremeHills biomes, and Fizz spawns in IcePlains biomes. They're all passive, friendly little guys, they like to play, walk around, and they specialize in looking at things. They drop Summon tablet items when killed, which you can collect and then use to re-spawn them, which spawns two of the target Djinn instead of one for some strange reason. Bang for the buck, I suppose. Most of the issues I had when testing these guys before have been fixed; Mercury's model is now grounded, Gust actually uses his legs when he walks now, which is helpful in any situation where forward movement is the goal. That's just about it, all in all. Catch 'em all."

The mod adds the Venus Djinn, Flint, the Mars Djinn, Fever, the Jupiter Djinn, Gust, and the Mercury Djinn, Fizz to your Minecraft world. If you can't be bothered to play Minecraft unless at least one representative of each classical element is present in NPC form in your game, then this is the mod you've been searching for.

SCREENSHOTS

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

The mod goes great with Custom NPC mods, such as Noppes' Custom NPCs, which allows custom user-created quests, in-game dialog, essentially everything anyone will ever need.

FEATURES

:VenusSet: :MarsSet: :JupiterSet: :MercurySet:

Flint spawns in Plain and Forest biomes. Fever spawns in DesertHills biomes. Gust spawns in ExtremeHills biomes. Fizz spawns in IcePlains biomes. All four Djinn also have the possibility of spawning underground, so you may find a surprise on your next mining expedition. There is a low spawn rate, however. A minimum of one Djinn of each element has the possibility to spawn in a biome at any given time, and a maximum of 7 Djinn of each element can spawn in a biome at any given time.

When killed, each Djinn will drop a Summon tablet item, which you may collect and use to summon that Djinn later on.

PROBLEMS?

If you encounter any problems, post a crash report here so I can take a look at it.
It should be 99.8% stable. I'd be surprised if it caused any issues for anyone other than Item ID conflicts with other mods, which is easily fixed.

MISC...

If you saw the blocks and items from Majora's Mask and Majora's Mask 3D on display in some of the above screenshots and want to have them too, here's a download link. These are part of a series of small mods I made containing blocks and items from Majora's Mask and Majora's Mask 3D, including world textures, Rupees, signs and posters, and a few other cool things. Simply download and place the .RAR files in your mods folder. Like the Golden Sun Djinn 1.7 mod, these are also 1.7-compatible:

[spoiler]https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6RDTwb4OndTfm1STWhqUTljTXhKSWpneFJHZ0N3Q0N0Rm4wbG1EWVBmM2pBNHdoRzctdHc&usp=sharing&tid=0Bz8PWXTWctXKNlpVelUySUZrNHc[/spoiler]

COMING SOON...

Nothing in particular...

Rolina

Only suggestion I can really make is that they seem a bit bug-eyed, so maybe drop the depth down a voxel width.  Except Mercury, though - eyes look fine for mercury.

What do the summon tablets for the other djinn look like?

Majora

You can see the Summon tablet item in Item Slot #7 in most of the screenshots, it's simply the Djinn icon. They're labeled by which Djinn belong to each tablet. I recommend just using the spawn eggs if you just want to spawn one Djinn, since the tablets are summoning two Djinn per tablet at the moment.

One thing I was trying out before I exported the mod was making a passive and an aggressive version of each Djinn. My initial idea was to make it so that only aggressive Djinn spawn naturally in the world, which you can find and fight. An early version of an aggressive Djinn had a Boss health bar and all that, it was cool. The idea would be to fight them and collect their Summon tablets, and then you could use that Summon tablet to summon a passive version of that Djinn back out onto the field. It's still a pretty cool idea, I think, but it wasn't quite as fun as I want it to be quite yet.

One thing I forgot to mention entirely, try your hand at fighting them, they make sounds when you mess with them. I think Fizz makes splashing noises when you hit him, Fever gets angry and lets off a lit fuse sound when hit, and so on. It makes torturing Djinn weirdly fun.

Rolina

I'd hold off on the passive/agressive thing until you get models based on DD djinn.  Then you can pick which models aggro and which ones don't.  Less trouble that way IMO.

Majora

I agree. I'll definitely look into modeling the Dark Dawn Djinn at some point. I love the descriptions they have in that game. Dark Dawn really doesn't deserve the flak I've seen it get, it's as solid a Golden Sun game as any, in my opinion.

Salanewt

Just curious, but might it instead be possible to have aggressiveness decided based on what they spawn near? I'm thinking, for example, a djinni that spawns near a village/villager is more likely to be passive than one that spawns in a cave, etc.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Majora

That could involve writing a unique spawn method for Djinn, which is an interesting idea. All in all though, I think the way Minecraft spawns NPCs is sufficient. To be fair, there are Djinn in the actual game that are hidden in forests relatively close to nearby towns, and they engage you in battle if you encounter them regardless of how close they are to a town, so I'm not sure how worthwhile writing new methods for them would be. I could just make one set of passive Djinn emulate Villager spawn behavior, so you'd find one puttering about in a town once in awhile, but really, I have to question how many people actually hang out in Minecraft Villager towns. I think most people prefer to build their own places over setting up in a Villager town, which is where having them spawn by biome comes in handy. If your build happens to be in a Plains biome, for example, you might find Flint going for a strut around town. It is a cool idea, though.

Rolina

Quote from: Majora on 24, May, 2015, 08:26:59 PM
I agree. I'll definitely look into modeling the Dark Dawn Djinn at some point. I love the descriptions they have in that game. Dark Dawn really doesn't deserve the flak I've seen it get, it's as solid a Golden Sun game as any, in my opinion.
The game gets a lot of hate, sure... but nobody can deny the things we liked about it.

Encyclopedia
Djinn Guide
Iconography
Battle Models
Pewter

There's a lot of good things in Dark Dawn.  The problem's just twofold - first, the bad outweigh the good in the game.  Second, it's the nature of the internet to accentuate the negative.  The cool stuff gets gets overwhelmed.  A lot of us do see the good stuff, and wish they'd expand it in later installments.  Lord knows I'd love a Bestiary and an Item Guide.

Oh, if any djinn spawn in a village, they should be passive no matter what - I don't think there was ever an aggro djinn in towns.

Majora

I think my only real complaint about Dark Dawn is the point of no return, which is always a little disappointing in an exploration-heavy game. Other than that, it's everything I expected it would be. I like its story introduction of the dark and light elements as well, which some might find over-done or cliche, I find necessary so far as bridging the relationship between Luna and Sol and their relevance to Alchemy. The classic Golden Sun cliff-hanger is present as well, which is always nice. Chalis and Blados are great, the world designs are superb, the music is definitely there. I can't wait until the next Golden Sun game is made.

Rolina

The problem with light and dark isn't that they exist - it's that the introduced them and then did nothing with them.  What are the fundments?  Who knows, who cares.  They have no mechanical counterpart, and the so-called dark adepts never throw a spell at you.  That's the problem people had - the whole thing felt like half steps.  As for the music... Go listen to Mountain Roc Rising and say that again. :P   The music was a step down from the original games, but... to be honest was more typical of what you should expect from Sakuraba.  His stuff is usually half-and-half - the original games were strange in that they were nearly all good.

Majora

I wouldn't say the music was a step down, really. I think the key difference from what I can hear is that no effort was made to try to somehow make Dark Dawn's soundtrack as solid as the first two games' soundtrack, which is a good thing, in my opinion. You've already done something great, why try to match that when you can do something entirely different, and in doing so, something equally as great. I really wouldn't attempt to cite specific examples of good versus bad music in the games either, as a good piece of music from the game can be cited for every bad piece; really doesn't do anyone a whole lot of good.

Personally I like Dawn Dawn's style, I almost get a Twilight Princess vibe from it, it's minimalist in places, lots of low-end, sometimes atonal. The sound design choices are equally on par, the percussion is as large as MIDI can be. There is continuity with the series' soft spot for large gated snares and textured choirs, with Dark Dawn introducing the first solo female choir vocal instrument in the series, which is awesome.

So far as storyline goes, I'd say the game acts as an introduction and a catalyst for the Dark Adepts and the increasingly-urgent role Psynergy Vortexes will be playing in the story. There may have been a reason why Matthew and his friends were able to defeat the Dark adepts so easily atop the Apollo Sanctum. Perhaps that Sanctum acts as a Lighthouse for the opposing element of light, which hinders the Dark Adepts' Psynergy in the same way the Mercury Lighthouse did with Saturos and Menardi. Considering how hard a time Sveta had getting to the peak of that Sanctum even with protective gear, I'd say it isn't far-fetched to imagine Apollo Sanctum affected the Dark Adepts' ability to perform Psynergy in some way. To be continued, as they say...

All in all, I'm just glad they're still making Golden Sun games. A series this great deserves to be ongoing, I'd say.

Rolina

You say that, but it's been five years, and the game sold a tenth of the copies of its predecessors.  Franchise may be in trouble, unfortunately. :C

Majora

I wouldn't worry too much about that, number of units sold has less value than most people think it has, especially regarding Nintendo games. The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask sold over 4.2 million less units than its predecessor Ocarina Of Time sold, Metroid Prime: Other M only just sold one million copies during its print run, Wario World for the Nintendo Gamecube, Starfox Assault sold nearly 28 million units less than Starfox Adventures did, and so on. Majora's Mask just recently saw a 3D remake for the 3DS, Metroid Prime is as solid as ever, Wario was just recently included as a Fighter in Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS and Super Smash Bros for the Wii U, a new Starfox game is being made for the Wii U as we speak, and so on. Additionally, all of these series share a commonality in that they have extended periods of down-time between releases, anywhere between six years to nearly a decade, in Dark Dawn's case.

The "Well, it's Zelda..." argument can of course be made, but the idea is to keep Nintendo's unique traits in mind; they are unique in how driven they are in their output, they aren't one to stop producing a series because of disappointing sales performance. This is the same company that brought the Kid Icarus series back from 1992 and turned it into a great modern franchise.

I really wouldn't be too worried, especially in Golden Sun's case. Nintendo just do their own thing. Just have a little faith...

[spoiler][/spoiler]