News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

Editor Questions I think

Started by Salanewt, 12, June, 2015, 12:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salanewt

I'm trying to create a very minor update that has changes beneficial to me (that I'll also upload publicly), but two things are confusing me. Can't remember if these have been asked before/can't find them, so I'll also be brief.

1. How do I change the editor's directory? It says it can't find Atrius' desktop when trying to compile and will not let me compile it otherwise. Lazy workaround would be to create that directory, but I'd rather not.

2. Where/what is the general data reading section? Like, the part of the editor where most/all of the data is read from. I get the feeling that I may need to take a look at it at some point, but that means I have to be able to find it in the first place.

Thanks for reading.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Quote1. How do I change the editor's directory? It says it can't find Atrius' desktop when trying to compile and will not let me compile it otherwise. Lazy workaround would be to create that directory, but I'd rather not.
You mean Resources > Included files?  And change all three to your file location?

Quote2. Where/what is the general data reading section? Like, the part of the editor where most/all of the data is read from. I get the feeling that I may need to take a look at it at some point, but that means I have to be able to find it in the first place.

Scripts > init_globals
^ General data addresses

Objects > Editor > Sub-editor > (most of them, with some exceptions) > User Defined 1
^ Data gets read here.

See Scripts > Binary file functions , for all the scripts he made for getting data from a file... You might notice a lot of "file_bin_seek" and "file_bin_read_byte" usage.
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Salanewt

1. Exactly that, yeah.

2. Beautiful, thanks!

About to get started with an essay, but I'll take a gander later on.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

1. - Good!
2. - You are welcome.

Good luck with the essay!

Want to have a gander on something else?

The attachment should be my program w/ source code. It is very incomplete, and it only has everything that I revealed, so expect no surprises. I thought why not back it up while I can? (That, and it would also be nice to give others an option to work on it... as a team.)
And yes, I know some of the maps do not display correctly... and some of them simply cause an error... (I put something in the title bar for those.) I believe these are fixable, but I have not bothered with it yet.
L1, L2, and L3... do nothing at the moment.
Page Up/Down to load different maps. (I have the two listed in the file menu so it can be obvious.)
-The Text Decompression works fine, but the Text Compression function is still work-in-progress/incomplete.

(@very incomplete: The very reason this particular version is not going to have a topic devoted to it.)

Oh, and it was designed to work with GS2. (English)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Drake baku

Hope you dont mind squirtle but your thread seemed like a nice place to ask my question

I was trying to play a little with the shop editor, adding some artifact weapons and a single normal weapon I created to be better then the master rapier
but it wont stick, each time I click on an other section and go back all changes I made are gone
is this cause I am hacking GS1 or something else?

Salanewt

No problem at all, I think. I'm not sure, but I think it may be a GS2 feature. Have you tried saving before switching to another section?

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Atrius's editor only saves GS2's shop data. As can be seen in User Defined 15... See first two lines:
if global.version!=1
{ break; }

var i;

file_bin_seek(global.file,(global.shop_pos+sel*66)&$1FFFFFF)

for (i=0; i<32; i+=1)
{ WRITE_USHORT(global.file,item[i]); }

WRITE_USHORT(global.file,type)

--
No point in saving? (As I think it only transfer tempROM to your rom?)

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Drake baku

ok, thanks guys
well I already guessed and thus planned around the shop
at most I will try to see if I can overwrite the silver blade in the shop by simply over writing it in the item editor XD

got quite a bit done by now, just have to finish changing the monster attacks and classes and then I should be done

but it did create a new question
is there a way to enter or gain access to the debug room using the editor?
(so I can check out some stuff I did to see if its working properly, I have a flash card which should allow GBA games to be played on my DS if I can figure out how to get that function to work so I want to have it fully functional first XD)

Note: I have no knowledge of hex editing so if I have to do something like that, please explain what I need to do exactly for the debug room access

Edit: @Fox
I have PMed you yesterday with some other questions about animations and 0.5, I guess you have not seen it so this is a friendly heads up ^^

@Accessing Debug rooms using the editor: Not that I know of? (Unless you do something in Map Code...) A Hex Editor might be a better method.

Easiest way to access those rooms is to enable the Debug Mode.... (In VBA, go to Tools>Memory viewer, put 03001F54 (GS1) or 03001238 (GS2) in the address field... After pressing Go, you should set the value in the upper-left hand corner to 00000001....
<== Example for GS1.
After that, press B+Start to open the warp menu... Now you can navigate to your debug room with Left/Right arrow keys.
As to how to edit IRAM when using a real GBA or DS, I dunno... Unless maybe Action Replay / Gameshark can do it.

@Hex editing: The above is just a tiny sample of what hex editing is... in fact, all you really need is VBA's memory viewer for basic hex editing of GBA games... (Since you can save a dump of 08000000's data as .DMP, and change that to .gba.)  However, having other hex editors can help too if they feature something that VBA's memory viewer doesn't. (i.e. Text searching.)

---

@PM: I saw it, but I guess I forgot to respond... I hope you don't mind if I respond here..(Below)

@PMing = While I don't mind much, I generally do encourage most questions to be asked in topics for two reasons: Faster response b/c multiple people are involved, and helping those with similar problems. (Or something.) But it's up to the one with the questions, so...

Alpha = I believe this means a version that is put up before it is even ready... Pretty much when one should expect bugs and stuff...  (Beta is having similar meaning as well... but likely closer to stable.)
Open-source = Pretty means when a project source code is available to anyone publicly.

QuoteI cannot find what is improved or added/changed compared to 0.4?
Not sure of everything myself...(Maybe because it's been awhile.) But I know that Atrius's 0.5 added Sprite editing and the Data viewer.

@Last section - If that's so, it could be related to Ability Type Values that were never editable in Atrius's versions of the Editor. (I should probably test it to double check, though.. but...) I think there might have been a version of Atrius's Editor modded by one of us that allowed Ability Type Values editing, but I forget where that is and/or even if it is public or not.

GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Drake baku

so using the virtual gameboy advance huh, useful cause then I can test it on the pc with the one I already have and once it all checks out I can put it on the flash card to play it ^^
thanks

=Pming: I dont mind that you reply here, I Pmed cause we were originally in the error section and I did not wanted to clutter it up with stuff not related to that topic, so this was is fine ^^

so 0.5 has sprite, useful but for this point not that interesting unless I can change some weapon sprites in the editor directly (instead of extract edit in paint and loading it back up)
same for trxt editing, I have some small stuff that I may do eventually but I want to finish this one before I go on vacation so those matters can wait XD
just to be clear, data viewer is pretty, well data is pretty wide topic so what is so specific on it?

ability type values... this was about if you know about the summon animations for abilities and unleashes.
at this point my mind is kinda empty about this XD
(likely cause too much is happening around me at the moment, limiting my thinking XD)

Drake baku

found something odd
when working on the monsters I used the final djinns of each element to drop an element based weapon
now I was working out some small stuff (mostly working in an attack fitting their normal ability) and noticed, that at least the final venus djinn has no existing place on the game??
from what I can find on the internet you only fight Quartz and Vine, which (stats based) are the top two venus djinns, but there is a 3e venus monster in the editor, what is up with that???
If it truly is an non existing djinn game wise, then I need to figure out what to do with the weapon
likely place it on vine and drop its attack value

(still odd, it even has a full list of stats and everything...)

EDIT: after some checking I have found that this only applies to the Venus djinns, there are only 2 you can fight but there is a 3e venus djinn set up in the monster list
is there by any chance a way to change a djinn to a you need to fight it, like changing bane or ground into a djinn I have to fight using the data of the 3e venus djinn?

Drake baku

so yeah came into a few weird things
first off I seemed to have messed up with the classes, though I have a small idea on what went wrong and I would have to work on that a little more before I can fully report my problems and ask for help with those

but currently I have found one major problem

due to GS1 not being able to change the starting utility psynergies such as move and retreat, I played around with it to fit my taste
switched Isaac and Ivan their elemental type around, isaac Jupi, Ivan Venus.
with this I had need to change the utilities like I said, changed Move into Retreat (never really used it outside exiting Sol sanction but you never know)
changed retreat into aura sense (Mind read) and mind read itself became Move. plus reveal became a team healing venus to make it fit
also made some items to fill in the holes left by this, a ring that gives Garet Move, A sphere (image is Jupi star) to grant Area sense (reveal), the shaman rod now gives Gale (removed whirlwind)
but during my test run I came to realize, THEY DONT WORK???
I set them down as Utility, fitted in the right utility functions, but...
I tried out some psynergies that were pretty much meant to be like Gale and whirlwind, a normal battle but with a utility use, also wont work
used one of the originals, douse, that work
but none of the ones I set up are working and I have no idea why???

when I try to use move it shows the hand and then nothing happens
when I try to use aura sense (mind read) it takes me back to the area's entrance (tried it at Babi tower entrance)
when I use reveal the effect happens but nothing gets shown (tried that at venus lighthouse exit where a door should appear)
when I try to use retreat the char disappears and, well all hell breaks out, walking outside the map in a small fixed area while invisible, second attempt cause getting stuck where only Aura sense worked and back to babi tower entrance (tried this in the underground part of babi tower entrance, the one which leads to the djinn Luff)
Aura claw and Shaman Rod both wont clear vegitation (while the Shaman Rod gives the original psynrgy Gale, so at that note, it should work seeing douse worked before)(added Note, the original Gale is not working either, I tested it in Vale)

only thing I can think off, I had already used the debug mode on this save/ game in order to teleport and get other stuff such as all the djinn (scrap all, the game keeps giving me all but luff) in order to test various stuff
I dont know if this may be the issue, that for some reason the game refuses to accept those commands as I originally should not have access to those yet?
but that wont explain aura sense and retreat's problems

Salanewt

For your battle spell issue, I think there is a box you have to check in the editor to enable an individual ability's use in battle. I haven't really used it for GS1 though, so I can't be certain about whether it works or is even there. Did you try removing the utility check and then testing them out?

As for the second section...

How utilities work in GS is that, rather than go by utility effect ID, obstacles that you interact with go by spell ID. Let's use a move pillar as an example. It can interact with the vanilla Move psynergy and any other spell with the same effect. However, if the slot of the original Move spell no longer has Move's effect, then none of the other abilities with Move's effect will work. This isn't a problem with the editor, but rather an issue with the way spell-based field interaction works. I can't say if this also applies to Retreat's effect though, but I imagine it could (not sure why it would be set up that way though). In order for the revised utilities to work, you would also have to change the objects they interact with through the map code; there is a guide for doing this in GS2, but I imagine the method is the same for GS1 if the map editor allows for changing the code in GS1.

As for Gale, did you also change Whirlwind? If you did, then Gale and anything else with the same effect will also break.

Rolina

I feel I must emphasize this:  Are you sure you used a clean rom?  Some of the errors might be attributed to that.  Other than that, try the stuff Squirtle suggested.

Drake baku

back, been away for vacation for a while and had no internet

I have no idea if the rom is clean, I downloaded it for the sake of editing it (I have the original game store bought XD)
I will have to see, reordered the psy's to put the utilities back, just in order to save room and all had to change a few, nothing special at least, much like with the how whirlwind can be used in battle.
I just have one possible issue left, changed Reveal into something I called Earth Blessing
It was a earth based group healer, but to make reveal's utility effect work, I have added revesl to the utility effect, just dont know if a psy that would do reveal and group heal at the same time will conflict, I just have to test that

If I at least can get the utilities to work now I can try out the classes, see if I can make those work normally, if not I will download Rol her empty class patch and remake them all using that

main bummer was that I had to figure out how to fix the starting moves again, ended up making 2 rings for the 2 main problems
both Ivan and Isaac will start with those and with it will have the fix
a ring that say's it bestows move to true adepts (meaning that for the player it seems like its not working at the start as Isaac and garet are not adepts yet) but in reality bestows mind read
and a jewel that works exactly in the opposite, says it gives mind read but actually gives move
both are blocked from De-equipting and not cursed so they should be dead locked I hope.

--------------

EDIT:
little question, I noticed that with a sword weapon that I created between the long and short sword, in Garets hands it became a mace for come reason
is there a way to effect this?

-------

EDIT:
Ok so found something off, it all seems to work now, except for mind read at least, for some reason that one is still acting weird
Ivan;s mind read shows the move hand that now effects NPC's (followed by normal text, most likely mind read text)
Aura sense, a Mind read granted by an item however is not working at all, perhaps Aura sense is not working cause it has 0 PP cost but then why would the normal one act like that?

----------

EDIT: so if people want to know, Earth Blessing is not conflicting but its effect varies from in battle and outside of battle, inside battle it will restore the party but outside the battle it works solely as reveal

also I noticed something off, A ability using froth animation but on the user with the effect of increasing the team's def by 25% only seems to effect the user
I guess I such change its effect to ally instead so will try that, just informing you guys of what I am up to until now XD

---------

EDIT: ok so new question aimed @Rol
for some reason my class systems are off, for example, I changed Ivan to a venus and for some reason when I give it Jupiter djinne's it has the names wrong, the stats and abilities work fine without issue, gaining psynergies in the right order and all
but it starts with the name I had typed for tis highest stage, well nor even that actually, but I guess the highest stage is Lost age exclusive, as for with Isaac who is now Jupiter by nature, giving him just 1 earth djinne will make him start in the 3 stage name and from there same problem.
is there a reason for this?
if needed I can list all stuff I did in the classes?

Rolina

Yes, there is a reason for that.  That reason being you changed Ivan's elemental stats.  Turns out that changing them causes a huge impact on how it reads classes.  For example, changing element values so that the weaknesses of characters is their opposing element instead of their symbiote just flat out breaks the class system.  Simply changing his element like that probably triggered that. 

Basically, instead of doing something smart and associating classes with equipped djinn, they have this convoluted system that goes off of element level instead, meaning that:

You can't tweak elemental values without screwing up any and all semblance of order in classes
You can't create an item to add effect accuracy without screwing up classes
You can't change a character's element without a ton of trail and error overhauling of the class system

Inefficient, unwieldy, and a colossal pain in the butt, amirite?

Drake baku

so basically, for a beginner like me, what I was planning is pretty much impossible huh?

EDIT:
Unless somehow I can Switch around Ivan and Isaac base data completely, making Ivan the main character in all regards, then I wont conflict like this and makes some stuff better and easier for me as well actually

Aile~♥

Quote from: Rolina on 22, September, 2015, 06:11:45 PM
Yes, there is a reason for that.  That reason being you changed Ivan's elemental stats.  Turns out that changing them causes a huge impact on how it reads classes.  For example, changing element values so that the weaknesses of characters is their opposing element instead of their symbiote just flat out breaks the class system.  Simply changing his element like that probably triggered that. 

Basically, instead of doing something smart and associating classes with equipped djinn, they have this convoluted system that goes off of element level instead, meaning that:

You can't tweak elemental values without screwing up any and all semblance of order in classes
You can't create an item to add effect accuracy without screwing up classes
You can't change a character's element without a ton of trail and error overhauling of the class system

Inefficient, unwieldy, and a colossal pain in the butt, amirite?
Wait, what? I've never seen the class system break because I changed a 3 to a 1 and a 1 to a 3 in the characters' element levels. I also, one time, swapped Felix and Sheba's primary elements (so Sheba is Venus and Felix is Jupiter) along with swapping characters' weaknesses to their opposing element, and I didn't notice the class system getting particularly broken (although I was having serious trouble with a dual Mars/Jupiter class I was trying to get to work properly, but that was for Jenna).
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

It does.  You have to change the order of classes to get it to work. 

Aile~♥

Wait, so you mean the game basically determines classes not using, for example "Venus primary, Mars secondary" but rather "Venus primary, weakness secondary"? That's pretty weird. And really quite stupid. I'll have to test it out.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]