News:

As a consequence of the forum being updated and repaired, the chatbox has been lost.
However, you can still come say hi on our Discord server!

Main Menu

"Post bomb" for all GS forums

Started by Misery, 07, December, 2015, 05:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Misery

I've been asked to share a message from Adept's Refuge with everyone here. It's all explained in the message, so I'll just get right to it.

Hi everyone!

I am What? from Golden Sun Adepts Refuge

Maybe it's been a while since you last posted. Or surely, it's been a while since you last posted a lot. So get your typing fingers ready because, coming this December, we invite you to join us for our first ever inter-GS-forum post bomb. On Saturday, Dec. 19, we challenge you to post as much as you can (without spamming, of course!) across any or all of the GS forums (see the list of participating forums below). Meet new people! Fire up new conversations! Find a new niche! Together as a GS fan community, let's crush our previous posting records!

Participating forums as of now!:
Golden Sun Adepts Refuge
The Temple of Kraden
GoldenSunrise (very likely to confirm)
More forums to join in!

If you are interested we can add you to the list!
Also any questions you can ask Me or Kirigishi from GSAR

Very likely I'd be able to answer those questions too, though I doubt there would be any. Well that's all, peace out.

Aile~♥

Good luck getting that to happen here.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

"Getting that to happen here"?
Sure, that's fine... just get them to come to us, and we stay here? (I dunno.)
Maybe we'll get lucky, and someone will stick to this site.... like flies on fly-tape. Heheh....
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Misery

Well, the site isn't nearly as dead as it has been at some times, and we have several active members who don't seem to mind discussing random stuff. I'm not expecting anything huge, but it doesn't seem unrealistic.

Rolina

Well, we're not the same kind of site.  I mean, technically, we're not a fansite - we're a modding community.  We're related and work well with them, but this isn't the place for general geeking out about golden sun.  As such, most of the post-bomb material the GSAR wouldn't really fit here.  I mean, we're more about technical discussion, you know?  Right now, we're spinning our wheels because Atrius bailed on the editor, the editor rewrite never went anywhere, and OpenGS has yet to reach a point where we can take advantage of it.  So basically, we're waiting to get access to these things.

Most discussion happens with the newbies, and the occasional question on how things collision detection work - we don't even really talk battle mechanics much anymore.  Last balance discussion we had I think was about how much a helmet should cost in the balance patch.  Everything else has just been a discussion on approach or philosophy.

zman9000

QuoteWell, we're not the same kind of site.  I mean, technically, we're not a fansite - we're a modding community.  We're related and work well with them, but this isn't the place for general geeking out about golden sun.  As such, most of the post-bomb material the GSAR wouldn't really fit here.  I mean, we're more about technical discussion, you know?  Right now, we're spinning our wheels because Atrius bailed on the editor, the editor rewrite never went anywhere, and OpenGS has yet to reach a point where we can take advantage of it.  So basically, we're waiting to get access to these things.

Most discussion happens with the newbies, and the occasional question on how things collision detection work - we don't even really talk battle mechanics much anymore.  Last balance discussion we had I think was about how much a helmet should cost in the balance patch.  Everything else has just been a discussion on approach or philosophy.

While i'll admit while the idea of modding/making your own GS game was novel when i first found the site, with the limited editor i quickly lost interest and even though i like the site i generally avoid hacking/modding topics. really i should have joined a fan site, but i never did, and I've stuck around for some reason??? I generally like the people here and the community is small enough that everyone can know everyone else well enough.

I like the idea of the post bombing thing though if we do join in, this site will be flooded with people who aren't from here, and all we will have is 2 or 3 at most going to other sites. But really there's no reason not too... Its not really against the form rules here is it? (especially since the post said no spamming) so why not just say we are in, i don't think atrius would mind, kain shouldn't either.
Check my youtube channel out for lots of cool gaming related videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/xXzman9000Xx

Salanewt

I'm cool with the idea, and may even be able to reel in some new members if I can show off a couple of my hacking videos. Any suggestions?

Of all the days it could be though, it happens to be one when I have an exam. So my participation may be limited in favour of getting some last-minute studying in.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Misery

Quote from: zman9000 on 08, December, 2015, 12:12:00 PM
I like the idea of the post bombing thing though if we do join in, this site will be flooded with people who aren't from here, and all we will have is 2 or 3 at most going to other sites. But really there's no reason not too... Its not really against the form rules here is it? (especially since the post said no spamming) so why not just say we are in, i don't think atrius would mind, kain shouldn't either.

I'm not sure what kind of impression you guys are getting... it's not about recruiting new members or anything. Just a mutual agreement to post things on a certain day, as a way to keep activity up and keeping the community alive. If there's stuff to reply to it does get a bit easier to post for people who normally lurk, so the idea holds a little bit of merit at least.

I have to admit I'm personally not that big on post bombs. To me they're better known as post-anything-at-all days. But hey, I'm just sharing the message here.

Quote from: Rolina on 08, December, 2015, 10:29:28 AM
Well, we're not the same kind of site.  I mean, technically, we're not a fansite - we're a modding community.  We're related and work well with them, but this isn't the place for general geeking out about golden sun.  As such, most of the post-bomb material the GSAR wouldn't really fit here.  I mean, we're more about technical discussion, you know?  Right now, we're spinning our wheels because Atrius bailed on the editor, the editor rewrite never went anywhere, and OpenGS has yet to reach a point where we can take advantage of it.  So basically, we're waiting to get access to these things.

I don't think it's wrong to consider this a Golden Sun fansite. We've had all kinds of GS related discussions in the past, not just things directly related to modifying the games. And even completely different topics. If the people here want to make it a thing, I see no reason it wouldn't work.

Rolina

Quote from: zman9000 on 08, December, 2015, 12:12:00 PM
QuoteWell, we're not the same kind of site.  I mean, technically, we're not a fansite - we're a modding community.  We're related and work well with them, but this isn't the place for general geeking out about golden sun.  As such, most of the post-bomb material the GSAR wouldn't really fit here.  I mean, we're more about technical discussion, you know?  Right now, we're spinning our wheels because Atrius bailed on the editor, the editor rewrite never went anywhere, and OpenGS has yet to reach a point where we can take advantage of it.  So basically, we're waiting to get access to these things.

Most discussion happens with the newbies, and the occasional question on how things collision detection work - we don't even really talk battle mechanics much anymore.  Last balance discussion we had I think was about how much a helmet should cost in the balance patch.  Everything else has just been a discussion on approach or philosophy.

While i'll admit while the idea of modding/making your own GS game was novel when i first found the site, with the limited editor i quickly lost interest and even though i like the site i generally avoid hacking/modding topics. really i should have joined a fan site, but i never did, and I've stuck around for some reason??? I generally like the people here and the community is small enough that everyone can know everyone else well enough.

Really?  Well, there's a few places I recommend you check out as fansites.  Temple of Kraden everyone should check and see if they get along with.  It's mostly whether you get their sense of humor.  Then there's Golden Sunrise, where they tend to be pretty nice.

@Mis:  But almost all of our discussions have been from a development standpoint.  Even discussions of things we liked and didn't like about DD would qualify as that, since it's basically us saying what we'll avoid and what we'll take influence from.  And without an editor to use, it's kinda hard to come up with new material, since it's mostly been the same guys here for years.  We'd need new blood, but even then most of the responses we give might just be to hunt down old threads.  Assuming, of course, we get people who understand it's a modding community and not a cheat house.  That guy trying to get us to hack mobile games because he didn't want to pay for it was kinda... worrisome.  Brings back the idea of us changing our name, which we've bounced around from time to time.

Salanewt

New blood is always good, and having difficulty pulling in a lot of new people is a little concerning. I can also try to make some patches before this happens so we can stop worrying and love the bomb. Does anyone know of anything that the other communities would like to see in a GS game/hack? I'm planning on playing around with animations some more after I help Caledor out (and get this paper done/study a bit for exams), so something in that area could be cool.

Site rename: I definitely see what you're saying and also found that person worrisome, but my main concern is that hacking and modding aren't the same thing. They are very similar concepts, but modding is more of a "temporary" or less intrusive thing that often involves things like cheat codes and/or modifying data in a file structure (i.e. Homebrew Channel for Wii and/or Brawl, or Skyrim mods), while hacking is literally going into the code and changing the way it works (i.e. what the editor and some members here, like myself, do). It could be even more confusing when you consider sites like romhacking.net that use the standard terminology and definitions, because it's not really accurate. Even the PokéCommunity and SMW Central call it ROM hacking, and those are two of the biggest hacking communities around. :/

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

@this place being a "fan-site" = I feel like this is a third party website that expresses interest in someone else's work. (And I think we do that.)
Probably would call it a different type of fan-site from the others... more related to dev, yes... But still doesn't exclude the RPG/forum games/etc. stuff... while one of the minor features of this forum may be to support them as well, it seems no one does them. (Forum is too small, I guess?)

QuoteDoes anyone know of anything that the other communities would like to see in a GS game/hack?
Well I can think of some obvious ones that may not be worth doing b/c of the work/time it'd take... For example, having more than 8 PCs at a time...

@hacking: I'd be surprised if there were any two people who thought the exact same thing about every word they knew.... assuming those people have a large enough vocabulary.... so.... I just go with what can be understood. (I guess.)

But yeah, I agree with getting a fancy name.... (Not sure about having "Modding" in the name, though.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Rolina

@Squirtle:  Uh, actually, your description of hacking is exactly what modding is.  Ever hear of the skyre mod on skyrim?  It fundamentally changes how skyrim plays.  Modding doesn't mean cheating - in fact, most modders look down on such mods.  However, either way, modding definitely describes what we do far better than hacking does.  We get down into the game's code and modify it to change the way the game plays.  That right there is Modding.

I think the Golden Sun Modding Community would be a fine rename - and be far, far less worrisome from a legal standpoint, should host companies or roaming fbi agents with quotas to fill show up. :P

Salanewt

Well, that's not at all what I was getting at! Just that cheat codes (i.e. Action Replay) are a form of modding. As for SkyRe, I have and it's still technically a mod if going by the definition of a mod; the key difference is the nature of the file being manipulated and/or edited. The easiest way to clear up any confusion with the name while still being 100% factual would be to simply call ourselves the "Golden Sun ROM Hacking Community". That is very hard to mistake for nefarious activities, we get to keep the name, and the URL wouldn't have to change either! (Don't mean to be rude at all with the hyperlink, just providing evidence to support my arguments.) :P   

We may be getting off-topic though, we should be discussing ideas for how we can contribute to the bomb instead!

8 PCs: Oh yeah, you wanted me to look into that! I'll have to mull over it, but I may try to rig something super simple up in the future. I already have an animation line I can show off (Wisp), but it would be cool to show some of these communities other things too. Maybe Caledor's hack?

OH YEAH! Does this post bomb start with a particular timezone or is it just the date?

Luna_blade

So when it happens, we just make accounts on other forums and reply to posts and write posts there?
And we also post and reply on this site?
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Misery

Quote from: Luna_blade on 10, December, 2015, 01:33:47 AM
So when it happens, we just make accounts on other forums and reply to posts and write posts there?
The idea is simply to post on this forum. Not that anyone would stop you from making accounts elsewhere though...
EDIT: Actually, it kinda does say that so it was probably just me misunderstanding. That does seem a bit silly to me though.

When the time comes, maybe I can bring up some topics I've been meaning to bring up. But I'm not even sure if I'll have access to my own computer at that time (where all my unfinished posts are stored, lol)

Luna_blade

Either case, it does motivate me to work on my project again.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Atrius (He/Him)

[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]