News:

The forum has been updated to SMF (2.1.3)!
Please be patient as we work to polish up the place and update features as we can.

Main Menu

Oh Hello There!

Started by NicoDi, 16, September, 2015, 02:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NicoDi

Hello everyone!

It's awesome to find such a large group of people who are working on such an awesome project! I have been an avid Golden Sun fan since it's release, and have definitely gone back to play the games more than a few times ^^;;

I am still learning to program myself, but I'm more of a maps and (kinda) arts person myself!

I can't wait to explore this website and the editor and see what it has in store! Also, it goes without saying, I look forward to meeting you all!

~Nico :Sol::Sol:

Daddy Poi's Oily Gorillas

Hello, and welcome to GSHC!!

QuoteIt's awesome to find such a large group of people who are working on such an awesome project!
If "awesome project" refers to the editor.... It's not really a large group at all...., and the main developer stopped work on it years ago... I imagine Salanewt and I would be the only ones here interested in programming anything on it... (As to not be totally misleading... I haven't seen a lot of programming work from Sala, besides some assembly (ROM patches), maybe..... Both of us have worked to document all of GS2's contents, though.) .... I can safely say that we are not constantly working on it, though... I often take long-term breaks, and do only a little bit when I feel like it, for some reason.... so having more people involved would definitely be a good thing.

QuoteI am still learning to program myself
Yay! I like it when people show an interest in programming!

@Everyone else:  All the cool kids have Matthew avatar.... Join the family. :) (Actually, it's just temporary.)
Golden Sun Docs: Broken Seal - The Lost Age - Dark Dawn | Mario Sports Docs: Mario Golf & Mario Tennis | Misc. Docs
Refer to Yoshi's Lighthouse for any M&L hacking needs...

Sometimes I like to compare apples to oranges. (Figuratively) ... They are both fruits, but which one would you eat more? (If taken literally, I'd probably choose apples.)
Maybe it is over-analyzing, but it doesn't mean the information is useless.

The only GS Discord servers with significance are:
Golden Sun Hacking Community
GS Speedrunning
/r/Golden Sun
GS United Nations
Temple of Kraden

Can you believe how small the Golden Sun Community is?

2+2=5 Don't believe me? Those are rounded decimal numbers. Take that, flat earth theorists! :)

Aile~♥

Ohai, it's a new person! I mostly just lurk. Occasionally I do something of interest, but not lately so... eh.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

Welcome to Golden Sun's one and only Modding Community!

Sorry if it seems so quiet here. We haven't really had as much to really inspire us as we once did (tools don't update anymore, no new GS games, no group projects, etc).  We still to chat from time to time, though.

Luna_blade

Welcome to the forums!
Quote from: NicoDibut I'm more of a maps and (kinda) arts person myself!
Oh that's cool. I was once Working on some GS-fan maps.
If you are interested in that kind of stuff, we do have some maps on this forum.

Quote from: Fox@Everyone else:  All the cool kids have Matthew avatar.... Join the family. :) (Actually, it's just temporary.)
I hope so. It is really confusing when you don't have a custom avatar.

Quote from: FoxIf "awesome project" refers to the editor.... (...)
Luckily we have some other projects... which haven't progressed much lately.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

NicoDi

Hi Fox, thank you!

Yeah, I kind took a look through the forum afterwards and realized that. Though the active GS community is pretty small in comparison to most, so I can't say I'm surprised! But it is refreshing to see a group still relatively alive at this point, haha.
I honestly didn't think I'd find anything!

AND YES, only the coolest kids! (mine is also only temp, I just wanted something there, so I didn't look like an egg)

----

Hello Jamie! That's fine, some things are better than none! :D I am a fan of lurking myself. ^^

----

Thanks, Rolina! and that's fine, I am just happy to find something stirring, at least!

----

Thank you, Luna!
And woo, a fellow mapper! I am definitely interested, I'll have to seek that out!
I was wondering where do I look to find these other projects? I am not sure how much of a help I'd be for the actual editor with just mapping skills.

----

@everyone
Question about the editor though. I downloaded and opened it, and I couldn't get past the title screen. Is that just because it's not finished, or is there something I am missing? ^^;;

Aile~♥

Title screen? Oh, that. Which version of the editor did you get? There are quite a few, some of them behave themselves better than others. In particular, if just opening the editor doesn't work, try moving the ROM to the same folder as the editor and then clicking and dragging the ROM onto the editor.
[sprite=16, 6, 0]:P[/sprite]

Lloyd: Easy as pie.
Genis: Sweet!
Presea: ...Sweetie pie...
Zelos: Let's not start on this again...

[spoiler=epic mindscrew][/spoiler]

Rolina

The v0.5a is the latest, but for some god forsaken reason it's never been put into the downloads section.

Luna_blade

Quote from: NicoDi on 17, September, 2015, 07:02:12 PM
I was wondering where do I look to find these other projects? I am not sure how much of a help I'd be for the actual editor with just mapping skills.
Mostly here http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?board=79.0.
Open Golden Sun is the current non-hacking project.
If you start looking around here you'll also notice a cancelled RPGmaker project and my ideas for a fangame.
There were also a few Minecraft mods being made, but I don't remember them being worked in the lasts couple of months.
As for hacks... I don't keep track of those enough.
"Hear the sounds and melodies
Of rilets flowing down
They're the verlasting songs
Whispering all the time
As a warning that behind some rocks
There's a rigid grap even
Oreads fear the tread"

Salanewt

Hey there, and welcome! Outside of the editor, there are also a number of various patches that can help you customize your game, as well as some other guides you can check out if you're willing to dabble with hex editing. As for general projects, one of the more popular hacks right now is Caledor's balance patch.

Let us know if you need any help for anything. Aside from that, we hope you enjoy your time here.
Oh yeah baby, £ me harder.

Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak Adepts stronger.

Yoshi's Lighthouse is a hacking website in progress. Why not check it out if you like Yoshi or the Mario & Luigi games?

Atrius (He/Him)

Quote from: Rolina on 17, September, 2015, 09:29:50 PM
The v0.5a is the latest, but for some god forsaken reason it's never been put into the downloads section.

Cause it was the "developer version" with more bugs and incomplete features than usual, though that's probably a moot point by now.
[sprite=220,4,0]I'm shaking my head in general disapproval of everything[/sprite]

NicoDi

Quote from: JamietheFlameUser on 17, September, 2015, 07:32:05 PM
try moving the ROM to the same folder as the editor and then clicking and dragging the ROM onto the editor.
I was just being a doofus, I hadn't realized that I had to open my ROM, and just assumed everything was in a nice pretty package, haha.
Thank you for your assistance though, Jamie! I did end up opening it up and fiddling around with it for an hour or two!
Quote from: Luna_blade on 18, September, 2015, 03:40:53 PM
Mostly here http://forum.goldensunhacking.net/index.php?board=79.0.
Open Golden Sun is the current non-hacking project.
If you start looking around here you'll also notice a cancelled RPGmaker project and my ideas for a fangame.
Wow, that all looks super cool! I'll definitely be checking all of those out, once I get the chance! Thanks, Luna! Even if the fan-game never grew into something real, I always love reading the ideas!

Quote from: Lord Squirtle on 18, September, 2015, 04:29:04 PM
Hey there, and welcome! Outside of the editor, there are also a number of various patches that can help you customize your game, as well as some other guides you can check out if you're willing to dabble with hex editing. As for general projects, one of the more popular hacks right now is Caledor's balance patch.

Let us know if you need any help for anything. Aside from that, we hope you enjoy your time here.
Hellohello, Lord Squirtle! I shall be taking you up on that offer of help, hopefully you won't be regretting it. ;D
I don't think I'll be diving into Hex editing just yet. Though I'm sure I'll be getting there soon enough. Which is kind of sucky, since that is kind of the whole point of this project. ^^;;
I did end up checking out Caledor's patch actually! It looks awesome, I might give that a playthrough soon. The upgraded class system and unique items seem intriguing!

Quote from: Atrius on 29, September, 2015, 10:03:58 PM
Quote from: Rolina on 17, September, 2015, 09:29:50 PM
Cause it was the "developer version" with more bugs and incomplete features than usual, though that's probably a moot point by now.
I actually did end up finding the latest version, thankfully! Thanks for the update!
----------
@Atrius, I was actually looking through your old videos, and I was curious how was it that you were able to create a custom map?

I think I came across a map-editor a few years ago that looked very similar to the open-editor ... but I can't find it anymore.

isaac3000

Welcome here!!

If you ever get to do something cool to give us, I look forward to seeing it!! :happy:

Caledor

Hello and welcome, NicoDi. Hope you'll enjoy your stay here
And thanks for the kind words regarding my mod :P